• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you allow your child to marry and Atheist?

Would you let YOUR child marry an atheist? (Private Poll)

• Of course.

Votes: 52 94.5%
  • Of Course Not.

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Would you allow your child to marry an atheist? (Regardless of the other reasons, the fact that who your child wishes to marry an atheist is the deciding factor where you draw the line and say no, or I disapprove etc.)

I don't think most people need their parents' permission to marry someone... But if I had a child, and it was up to me whether they got to marry someone or not, I'd say yes as long as the person they wish to marry isn't a jerk. :D

andys

Andys
Jayhawker.
Thank you for your clarification if I seemed to suggest that the atheist asserts a set of beliefs that are at odds with the theist.
It is a subtle, but VERY important distinction you allude to. Kindly let me clarify by analogy: A juror who believes that the accused is guilty, has a conviction that is expressed as a positive assertion, i.e., that the accused IS guilty. However, a juror who is NOT convinced by the evidence, and who asserts that the accused is NOT guilty, is making a negative assertion. The status of this negative assertion is not to posit a (positive) assertion or set of beliefs, but to simply DENY the positive assertion of the other juror. Please, I implore any reader not to dismiss this as "BS" or verbal trickery. It is a sensible fundamental "law" of logical reasoning. Example: If I assert to you that the Queen of England is a Sumo wrestler, and you say that you don't believe it, your reply is NOT an assertion. I realize this is perhaps a picky point, but you will concede, I trust, that it is, nonetheless, a legitimate one?

In haste, I may have suggested that the atheist and theist have opposing beliefs, but, strictly speaking, only the theist is making an assertion; the other is simply denying this assertion, and is not offering an opposing assertion.

I will concede that in most cases, the denial of the atheist is attended by rational explanations, such as the origin of life and its evolution, etc. In which case, I dare say, most theists and atheist DO in fact have very incompatible viewpoints. Although any opposing rational explanations on the part of the atheist are, strictly speaking NOT a derivative of atheism, so much as an inevitable result of a decidedly clearer mind.

Sententia

Based on the linked article the results surprise me. Maybe I asked the wrong question hehe...

I know as an atheist its very difficult to keep theist friends who are beyond reason. Mention evolution and get threatened to be thrown out of the house? I have one theist 'Acquaintance' who always wants to get together and hang out with our family's but this usually comes after she is apologizing to me for basically 'tearing me a new one'. (Yes I am raising my children and no we're not married nor plan to be... get over it) hee hee.

andys

Andys
Smoke,
I really like your comment:

"I'm an atheist and my husband is a Christian and this is the longest relationship either of us has ever had. We disagree about religion, but we love and respect each other, and religious conformity is not a requirement in our household".

Good for both of you. My late mother was a very religious Catholic (which my twin brother and I were raised as. I was even an alter boy!) My late father was a kind of silent atheist who never contradicted her, but never participated in any of her customs. No two people were more in love and more wonderful.

So I certainly do not condemn two people who wish to marry on the basis of their conflicting "beliefs". I do, however advise great caution on their part if they are wired anything like me. For I feel very strongly about the value of reason and science, and abhor any organized faction that dismisses either in place of nonsense.

EverChanging

Andy,
your points would be much better received if your tone was not so condescending. Not all theists are unintelligent or uneducated -- there are a variety of factors that can contribute to a god-belief: indoctrination, culture, emotional leanings, perhaps even the wiring of our brain (google neurotheology).

And as I'm sure you know, not all theists are fanatical fundamentalists, regardless of the logic (or lack thereof) of their theism.

blackout

Violet.
Would you let YOUR child marry an atheist?

Don't people generally marry who they want?
How would one "let" or not "let" their child marry someone?

I would be FAR MORE concerned if my child wanted to marry
someone who followed a dogmatic religion of any kind,
and would certainly do all I could to disuade them
via sensible and probing discussion.
This would be the case weather I personally liked the potential partner or not.

It would make me so sad to see my child living daily in a battle
with someone else's dogmatic set of doctrines and rules.
But it's not like I could STOP them. you know? :shrug:

Now as the OP asked...
As long as the athiest partner didn't belittle my child's personal beliefs,practices and philosophies,
why would it matter to me that they are athiest?

hehe... I would just be more inclined to discourage marriage in general.
But not to the point of being obnoxious.
We each have our own life to live.

Last edited:

Humanistheart

Would you allow your child to marry an atheist? (Regardless of the other reasons, the fact that who your child wishes to marry an atheist is the deciding factor where you draw the line and say no, or I disapprove etc.)

Allow? How would you stop them? This isn't in the hindu section is it? I would discourage them from marrying a christian though.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think the success or failure of a marriage between two people with basically opposing beliefs spiritually depends greatly on their individual personalities and their passion, or lack therof, regarding such beliefs.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
As long as my child was still willing to work as a prostitute to support her pappy, I don't think her marrying an atheist would intrude too much on the strong family values I would no doubt seek to instill in her.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think the success or failure of a marriage between two people with basically opposing beliefs spiritually depends greatly on their individual personalities and their passion, or lack therof, regarding such beliefs.
I agree.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I would have no problems with my children wanting to marry whoever they want. Should they marry an atheist, that is fine, as long as the atheist respects me and does not try to belittle my beliefs or force his beliefs onto me. If he does then I reserve the right as the father in law to beat his ***!

SHANMAC

The question is whether I would "let" my child marry an athiest. Quite honestly, I don't know that I have any authority over my child in this regard. Sure, I would hope he/she would respect my opinion enough to (a) come to me in the first place, and (b) give due consideration to my opinion. However, I don't pretend to have the authority to mandate who my child can/cannot marry.

It is an entirely different question to ask whether I would give my blessing to such a union. To be honest, I'm torn on that one. On the one hand, I'm taught to love everyone despite their attitudes and beliefs. On the other hand, I want what I consider to be best for my child. In this regard, ideally I would want her to marry a follower of Jesus. Moreover, regardless of the belief, I suspect the odds of a couple staying together are much greater where they both hold the same spiritual beliefs. Good question to ponder.

rojse

RF Addict
I completely agree with all marriages, as long as they will produce children - how else will I find babies to eat? :drool:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Would you allow your child to marry an atheist?

I know atheists by now.. They drink, they use drugs and have sex all the time. No way I would let my daughter marry one of those!!! :eek:
My son however, I am going to turn him atheist whether he likes it or not..