• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

would you marry someone of a different faith as yours?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
This always raises an interesting question for me, and I hope you don't mind if I ask, but...isn't it possible for someone to fall in love with a Jew, and through seeing the way that Jew lives and believes, fall in love with Judaism, and want to convert for both reasons?

Jew and 'Judaism aren't the same thing, Judaism is like saying 'catholic', it's a religion.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Jew and 'Judaism aren't the same thing, Judaism is like saying 'catholic', it's a religion.

Judaism is more than a religion it is a socioreligious ethnicity: a group affiliation that inextricably combines elements of religion, of culture, and of national identity. Only Jews practice Judaism, and part of being a Jew is the culture, heritage, and religion of Judaism. They cannot be separated out from one another.

HexBomb

Judaism is more than a religion it is a socioreligious ethnicity: a group affiliation that inextricably combines elements of religion, of culture, and of national identity. Only Jews practice Judaism, and part of being a Jew is the culture, heritage, and religion of Judaism. They cannot be separated out from one another.

So, again, not to be rude, trying to understand...are people who convert ever truly Jewish, since they don't have the heritage piece of that puzzle? Or do they 'assume' a Jewish heritage and have to give up their own?

Levite

Higher and Higher
So, again, not to be rude, trying to understand...are people who convert ever truly Jewish, since they don't have the heritage piece of that puzzle? Or do they 'assume' a Jewish heritage and have to give up their own?

Yeah, converts are essentially "adopted" into the culture, and become one with it. In doing so, they give up any previous religion they may have had, and their previous culture becomes secondary to their Jewish culture (elements of their original culture may also be considered null and void to them if those elements directly contradict Jewish law, for example if traditional foods of their original culture are not kosher, they may no longer eat them). To become a Jew is to become a Jew, a complete transformation. Which also means that a convert is absolutely and in every way as "truly Jewish" as someone born a Jew.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yeah, converts are essentially "adopted" into the culture, and become one with it. In doing so, they give up any previous religion they may have had, and their previous culture becomes secondary to their Jewish culture (elements of their original culture may also be considered null and void to them if those elements directly contradict Jewish law, for example if traditional foods of their original culture are not kosher, they may no longer eat them). To become a Jew is to become a Jew, a complete transformation. Which also means that a convert is absolutely and in every way as "truly Jewish" as someone born a Jew.

Sorry to interrupt, but this just makes so much sense to me. :) Thanks.

Kalidas

Well to answrler the question, I did!

I am a Hindu

My wife is a Pagan. Luckily both religions get along.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Actually Kalidas, you bring up another reality check to this question.

For example, i stated I am a Hindu and I would only marry a Hindu (and am sure glad I did!).

But there are some who were already married, let us say both were Buddhists when they married but then after the marriage the wife realizes she is actually a Hindu, and even more specific a Krishna Gaudiya. So in this example they were the same religion when they were married, but then after marriage they were not. I do not think a Buddhist husband would then turn away from his wife or visa versa. Nor do I think they should, the marriage is that important and should be maintained.

And also, yes, there are some religions, though not the same, that get along admirably when they marry - I would go back to the Hindu - Buddhist example, they easily can be side by side.

So while, personally, I would only marry a Hindu, I can see mixed religions in marriages that work out fine.

Not all mixed religions, but some.

Om Namah Sivaya

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

What do you call people who leave Judaism, whats their ethnicity.

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Values are very important to me.

So I would be pretty much categorically at odds with people of certain religions in terms of worldviews I find unethical and illogical and not evidence-based. But for some other religions, there probably wouldn't be any issue between us based on religion alone.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Values are very important to me.

So I would be pretty much categorically at odds with people of certain religions in terms of worldviews I find unethical and illogical and not evidence-based. But for some other religions, there probably wouldn't be any issue between us based on religion alone.

Would you marry someone like me, Lyn? Lol. :D

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Would you marry someone like me, Lyn? Lol. :D
Hmm well that seems like a loaded question. ^_^

For LHP as a topic, it's so broad. There are atheistic and theistic LHP people, Satanists and Luciferians and Setians, etc. I'm not aware of knowing many in offline life, and ones online seem to identify with it in all sorts of different ways, and they seem like fine people in general. I feel like just knowing the title of their religion doesn't tell me enough about whether I'd have compatibility issues with that person because of their beliefs.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Actually, sometimes a divine intelligence may purposely change the religion of your spouse just to pull a practical joke on you that is also a lesson...

There was a guy who had a religion that he would only eat pig. His wife didn't really care, she would eat pig, and all sorts of things too. She was of a religion that would even eat scorpians.

But she was a great cook.

That was a good thing for the husband, because he couldn't even cook a hotdog if he tried.

One day the guy went to bed with his wife next to him but when he woke up she turned into a Jew.

"No bacon this morning for you, only loxs and bagels!"

I have no idea what the moral of this true event is. But it sure was funny. Perhaps that was the moral, that it was so humorous to the entire town that it brought the joy of the funny bone to so many.

Om Namah Sivaya

... ps, he kept his wife.

Kalidas

Actually Kalidas, you bring up another reality check to this question.

For example, i stated I am a Hindu and I would only marry a Hindu (and am sure glad I did!).

But there are some who were already married, let us say both were Buddhists when they married but then after the marriage the wife realizes she is actually a Hindu, and even more specific a Krishna Gaudiya. So in this example they were the same religion when they were married, but then after marriage they were not. I do not think a Buddhist husband would then turn away from his wife or visa versa. Nor do I think they should, the marriage is that important and should be maintained.

And also, yes, there are some religions, though not the same, that get along admirably when they marry - I would go back to the Hindu - Buddhist example, they easily can be side by side.

So while, personally, I would only marry a Hindu, I can see mixed religions in marriages that work out fine.

Not all mixed religions, but some.

Om Namah Sivaya

When me and my wife first started dating I think I was still a Christian.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Hmm well that seems like a loaded question. ^_^

Hahaha. I'm just playing with ya. Maybe. ;) :p

For LHP as a topic, it's so broad. There are atheistic and theistic LHP people, Satanists and Luciferians and Setians, etc. I'm not aware of knowing many in offline life, and ones online seem to identify with it in all sorts of different ways, and they seem like fine people in general. I feel like just knowing the title of their religion doesn't tell me enough about whether I'd have compatibility issues with that person because of their beliefs.

True. We are an extremely diverse bunch, since it's so individualistic. As for my views, I'm pretty much a Dark Pagan. I have hard polytheistic and animistic views. I just to chose to side with the more rebellious deities. :D I have no problem with atheism or anything like that, though. So I could see myself marrying or having a relationship with an atheist. Just as long as there's mutual respect, of course. :)

chinu

chinu
Would anyone care to tell me any Faith which is different to my Faith ?
Just asking because I want to answer this question. :)

Maldini

Hell no, I think your beliefs is an extension of your morals and your character.

I would never marry anyone who believed in a supernatural cause, since It wouldn't work. I need my spouse to be at least as smart as me.

chinu

chinu
Hell no, I think your beliefs is an extension of your morals and your character.

I would never marry anyone who believed in a supernatural cause, since It wouldn't work. I need my spouse to be at least as smart as me.
Are you responding to OP, Maldini ? :)

Kalidas

Though I can agree the the premise of your response, the pretentious. way you delivered it leaves me to answer with this.

http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3rxhyw

Last edited: