• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't show respect for my religion!

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
do you mean tolerance?
Yes, that's what I expect, but I'm more likely to get such by asking that it be respected.

(Entering a Jewish stereotype)
One should always ask for more than they expect, since one will never get everything one asks for when negotiating terms. Do not be deceived; every human interaction is a negotiation of sorts.
(Leaving Jewish stereotype)

Anyways, that's why I use the words I use, to get the results I need.

Last edited:

mohammed_beiruti

So does that mean that you don't respect other peoples religions? (since they are wrong)

well, I have a conservation on the word "religion".

since it's wrong and corrupted, I can't call it "religion".

there is only one true religion through all over eras, but when the religion becomes "rabi thoughts and commentaries" or "saint thoughts and commentaries" it will be corrupted.

I support those who believe that God teachings and scriptures must be understood literally.

when you write a book using your native language, then someone translated it.

the translator will write it in another language according to his understanding to the context.

so........

the translation is a an explination to the book , but not the book itself.

and we let someone who have an advanced theological background to explain the bible for us. then we claim that this explination is the book itself.

My english tearcher sometimes bring some quotes with him and let us explain the meaning of quotation, and amasingly everyone of us has a different explination.

So God did not sent several messages to humanity ,yet those messages contrdict with each other.

it is nonsense to think like that.

sometimes God says to humainity " I am a trinity" in the other message says "I am not".

I read the new testament But I didn't find an explicit phrase says that God is a trinity.

all these thoughts and commentaries came from saints or theologian.

I do respect Jesus But I don't respect the corruption of the those theologians.

Last edited:

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Mohammed, Mo, Mike, or whatever you wish to be called,
Explain to me the interpretation of Surah 2:40(Don't worry, I've already read it, and the surrounding text, in Arabic).

lunakilo

The situation with my friend happened a few years ago.
She, I and a couple of other friends of ours where sitting around doing nothing, and for some reason we started talking about religion.

None of the people in the group are usually easily offended, so no one where really holding back or trying to be polite.

She happend to be the only religious person in the group, so it basically ended up being a her against the rest argument. And I guess we did walk all over her beliefs just a bit which hurt her feelings I guess. I didn't actually know she was very religious untill after this event. For the rest of us it was just academic, but for her it was something importent in her life.

I think she played the "you don't respect my religion"-card at the time just to get the rest of us to shut up. But she has said it on a few other occations after that as well.

But the question isn't really about her and this specific episode.
I have heard other people play the "you don't respect my religion"-card, and I am just trying to figure out what it means and how to deal with it.

If she expects you or wants you to hold her religion in high regards, show appreciation for it for example, or agreement, or anything along those lines, you don't have to do that of course. You actually shouldn't do that if you don't sincerely feel that way. Somehow i don't think this is the case here however.

It seems more likely to me that you're confusing holding something in high regards, and merely not mocking it.
If you don't like her choice of religion thats your problem, not hers, she doesn't have to hear about it often, or at all (unless she talks about it). If you're her friend then sure there is room to talk about that, and express your disagreement with her ideas, and the ideas that religion proposes. But you don't have to do that often, and you have to do that in the nicest manner, if you're friends that is.
That is entirely possible actually :)
I am not good at keeping my mouth shut when I disagree with people.

Like i said though, if i misunderstood, and she wants you to act as if you hold her religion in high regards, then surely you don't need to do that. But you can show respect to her through not mocking her religion, and maintaining a level of courtesy.

You're not respecting her religion by doing that, you're respecting her.
I guess that is true.

If we take a step back and look at a situation where the person playing the "you don't respect my religion"-card is not a close friend. How would I communicate that even if I don't really respect their religion, I do have respect for them?

lunakilo

someone must respect one religion.

but that doesn't mean that you don't respect the person who has different religion.

well, I have a conservation on the word "religion".

since it's wrong and corrupted, I can't call it "religion".

there is only one true religion through all over eras, but when the religion becomes "rabi thoughts and commentaries" or "saint thoughts and commentaries" it will be corrupted.

I support those who believe that God teachings and scriptures must be understood literally.

when you write a book using your native language, then someone translated it.

the translator will write it in another language according to his understanding to the context.

so........

the translation is a an explination to the book , but not the book itself.

and we let someone who have an advanced theological background to explain the bible for us. then we claim that this explination is the book itself.

My english tearcher sometimes bring some quotes with him and let us explain the meaning of quotation, and amasingly everyone of us has a different explination.

So God did not sent several messages to humanity ,yet those messages contrdict with each other.

it is nonsense to think like that.

sometimes God says to humainity " I am a trinity" in the other message says "I am not".

I read the new testament But I didn't find an explicit phrase says that God is a trinity.

all these thoughts and commentaries came from saints or theologian.

I do respect Jesus But I don't respect the corruption of the those theologians.
I am not sur if I understood all of that.

I agree that a message can be distorted in translation and when trying to interpret it.

Does what you say mean that even if people get the message wrong you still respect the people? The religion may be wrong, but at least they tried (or something like that).

Or have I misunderstood you?

confusedius

The Shadow
I find that many people conflate respect and courtesy. I will always be courteous regarding the belief of another, whereas respect, to me, connotes admiration, even seems to require esteem.

Perhaps the answer to the famous "it depends on what the definition of is is" is that thin line between respect and disrespect. No one should be faulted for being on that line. It is our right to be there.

james

Sum1sGruj

It's not as if anyone knows the origins of the universe, so one only "thinks" that religion is wrong really. You don not have to believe something to respect it. I'm Christian and I respect Jews, and that's more than between theists and atheists, because atheists are in a neutral state.
That doesn't mean to say you shouldn't defend your position, whatever that position may be- but respect is a common virtue.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If we take a step back and look at a situation where the person playing the "you don't respect my religion"-card is not a close friend. How would I communicate that even if I don't really respect their religion, I do have respect for them?
How about the straightforward approach? "No, I don't respect your religion, but I do respect you."

Actually, I think that for me, it would depend how the phrase came up. If it's obvious that the person's experiencing consternation and is just desperate to escape an unpleasant situation, then if they're a friend (or even a minor acquaintance), then I wouldn't antagonize them any further. I might just say "I can see this bothers you; let's talk about something else."

OTOH, if they were in my face about religion from the start and then pulled out "you don't respect my religion!" as a way to end the debate after it stopped going their way, I'd probably point out to them that it's not a real answer... or maybe respond with something like "no, I don't. Why should I?"

BruceDLimber

"You don't show respect for my religion!"
What are you supposed to do when someone says that to you?

I would first ask the individual how specifically we don't!

The more so given that the scriptures I endeavor to follow state explicitly that ALL the great religions are legitimate and of God, and that we are to associate with them all in friendliness and fellowship!

So any such complaint appears at its outset probably to be unfounded.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

How about the straightforward approach? "No, I don't respect your religion, but I do respect you."

Actually, I think that for me, it would depend how the phrase came up. If it's obvious that the person's experiencing consternation and is just desperate to escape an unpleasant situation, then if they're a friend (or even a minor acquaintance), then I wouldn't antagonize them any further. I might just say "I can see this bothers you; let's talk about something else."

OTOH, if they were in my face about religion from the start and then pulled out "you don't respect my religion!" as a way to end the debate after it stopped going their way, I'd probably point out to them that it's not a real answer... or maybe respond with something like "no, I don't. Why should I?"

Pretty much what 9-10ths_Penguin said. It would depend on the context of the conversation, how much you know that person, and why did they say that statement. As a cop out, or a sincere conveyance of them being hurt by what you're saying.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Two things:

If your friends don't have your respect, why are they your friends?

If you can't say something nice about someone, you can at least keep quiet.

no-body

Religion is put up on a pedestal by many societies, I think in the U.S. it is especially duplicitous and hypocritical in regards to the main stream religions but you get into whole balls of crazy in the new age movement too.

If you don't have the type of friend that you can bust each others chops about your beliefs then it is better to say nothing at all and stay off heated topics or reconsider why you are friends with them if they insist on getting into charged debates but only want to tell you their side.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Do you think that not respecting a person's religion necessarily means not respecting the person?
A person's religious convictions usually lie at the heart of who that person believes her or himself to be. If we look at the example of the OP, I don't see that the detractor respects the "friend" when the detractor makes remarks that the "friend" finds hurtful. Such remarks are disrespectful, not only of the religion, but of the friend whom the remarks hurt.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A person's religious convictions usually lie at the heart of who that person believes her or himself to be. If we look at the example of the OP, I don't see that the detractor respects the "friend" when the detractor makes remarks that the "friend" finds hurtful. Such remarks are disrespectful, not only of the religion, but of the friend whom the remarks hurt.
This was the example in the OP:

I have respect for her right to live her life according to her beliefs.
I don't have any respect for arguments like <something> is true because <religious book/person> says so.
I don't have any respect for blind faith.
How is this hurtful?

And if that's disrespectful, how is it any less disrespectful for the religious person to demand that her friend stay silent and not say what she thinks?

In a conversation between friends, which is more disrespectful: "I disagree with your religious beliefs" or "I demand that you not say anything to challenge my religious beliefs"?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
sojourner (or anyone else who feels like responding), here's an example for you to consider:

When addressing clergy, pastors or the like, I don't use religious titles or honorifics. I won't call a priest "father", a bishop "monsignior", or a minister "reverend", but I will call them "Mr. (or Ms.) ________" or, if I know them personally, address them by their first name. I deliberately show no respect for their religious office, but I do give them the courtesy I'd give any person.

Am I being disrespectful toward religion by doing this? Should my religious friends consider me less of a friend because of it?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Respect is earned,so far religion is so far in the red its bankrupt IMO,you can still respect a person no matter what religion they follow.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My opinion is this: If I am friends with someone who does not like my religion, I would ask them not to talk about it to me at all. I don't want to hear someone complain about my faith to me non-stop. You can't really show respect to something inanimate, like religion or faith, but you can show respect for your friends and acquaintances.