• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't show respect for my religion!

Bismillah

Submit
Also lunakilo, if there is a discussion on religion I think people need to feel comfortable with the idea first. If they agree to the discussion it makes no sense if there is actual dialogue and they are offended by simple statements as opposed to overt attacks.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Also lunakilo, if there is a discussion on religion I think people need to feel comfortable with the idea first. If they agree to the discussion it makes no sense if there is actual dialogue and they are offended by simple statements as opposed to overt attacks.

I think that is the problem though. From experience i've noticed that people such as the friend in the original post love to splash around their religious beliefs. I think it can pose a problem because all humans have a point where they simply can't tolerate it anymore.

I've found it often hard to respectfully disagree with someones beliefs without offending them. People with faith in things such as Noahs Ark etc. aren't usually the most receptive to factual evidence. I was once told the earth was surrounded by a great canopy of water and after the flood cracks in the earth appeared and the water went into them. In an example such as this where the obvious response to factual evidence such as known geological formations is "well God did it." How does one go about responding to that respectfully?

Also an EDIT: To bring in the atheist vs. theist arguement. It seems from this discussion that it is almost always the atheist who has to bie their tongue and lie through their teeth to protect someone else's beliefs. How is that in any way productive?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Also an EDIT: To bring in the atheist vs. theist arguement. It seems from this discussion that it is almost always the atheist who has to bie their tongue and lie through their teeth to protect someone else's beliefs. How is that in any way productive?

I don't see it that way. Being an atheist is a choice related to what we're talking about, and the same applies to it.

If i have a friend who's an atheist, i will apply the same i mentioned earlier.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I don't see it that way. Being an atheist is a choice related to what we're talking about, and the same applies to it.

If i have a friend who's an atheist, i will apply the same i mentioned earlier.

I agree to an extent but I guess being an atheist myself my view-point is biased towards religious people getting offended by things I say. I always see religious people throw the bible into a discussion and complain when it gets chewed out. I can't say that i've seen the shoe on the other foot, probably being an atheist doesn't help me see both perspectives.

I think atheism is somewhat different given it is a lack of belief and arguably a belief system itself. I think its hard to argue atheism the way one argues something like christianity. Atheism is sometimes less subjective I feel.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree to an extent but I guess being an atheist myself my view-point is biased towards religious people getting offended by things I say. I always see religious people throw the bible into a discussion and complain when it gets chewed out.

In that case of course it doesn't matter that they complain, they're the ones who put it out there to begin with, so they basically asked for it. And you'd be completely free of blame in this case, because you are not supposed to hide your criticism or tone it down even when the discussion is opened by the religious person, unless you were being rude about it but of course we'll all agree that this shouldn't be the way its done.

The only considerations that should be made in my opinion are related to the context of the conversation like i said earlier, and who is the person you're speaking to.

I can't say that i've seen the shoe on the other foot, probably being an atheist doesn't help me see both perspectives. I think atheism is somewhat different given it is a lack of belief and arguably a belief system itself. I think its hard to argue atheism the way one argues something like christianity. Atheism is sometimes less subjective I feel.

Atheism is different of course. Its not a religion, and its a lack of belief in deities basically.

However, an atheist can still push his position on others, and others of course can still criticize the choice of being an atheist in a way that somehow can be put in the same category of criticizing someone else's choice of belief or religion.

Yes dear i am with you if some one cannot believe on your religion then he/she must need to give respect them as this is some thing very touchy for others.

Kerr

This is an interesting thread :). After some thinking I have to agree with the people who say that you cannot respect religions. You can be respectful about it, though. It doesn´t mean you keep quiet but rather that you try and think of how you express yourself (like you say "I don´t agree" rather then "only idiots believe in that crap"). If that makes sense, lol.

EDIT:

Is respectful the right word?

Last edited:

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Kerr, I think I draw a distinction between respect and courtesy. I don't respect religions. I can be courteous to those who practice their religion, though it won't earn them any respect in my mind. That is not to say I won't respect other aspects of their personality.

Kerr

Kerr, I think I draw a distinction between respect and courtesy. I don't respect religions. I can be courteous to those who practice their religion, though it won't earn them any respect in my mind. That is not to say I won't respect other aspects of their personality.
Lol, I think courtesy was what I thought of.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
In that case of course it doesn't matter that they complain, they're the ones who put it out there to begin with, so they basically asked for it. And you'd be completely free of blame in this case, because you are not supposed to hide your criticism or tone it down even when the discussion is opened by the religious person, unless you were being rude about it but of course we'll all agree that this shouldn't be the way its done.

The only considerations that should be made in my opinion are related to the context of the conversation like i said earlier, and who is the person you're speaking to.

I agree wih this. Its something I even notice on these boards. Its as if the big bad atheist (on occasion) should be more considerate to the poor helpless believers.

I say you reap what you sow.
Atheism is different of course. Its not a religion, and its a lack of belief in deities basically.

However, an atheist can still push his position on others, and others of course can still criticize the choice of being an atheist in a way that somehow can be put in the same category of criticizing someone else's choice of belief or religion.

A lot of atheists do push their position. I have to say though that lack of belief in God isn't usually a conversation opener in the say way that belief in god is. Just an observation.

Barcode

"You don't show respect for my religion!"
What are you supposed to do when someone says that to you?

I have a friend who is Catholic.
We are not as close friends as we used to be because I apparently don't show respect for her religion.

I have respect for her right to live her life according to her beliefs.
I don't have any respect for arguments like <something> is true because <religious book/person> says so.
I don't have any respect for blind faith.

So what I am trying to understand is:

1) What does it mean to respect something?
2) What does it mean to show respect for something?
3) If I think a religion is silly/wrong should I respect it?
4) If I think a religion is silly/wrong should I, for the sake of good relations, pretend I respect it/show respect for it even if don't in my heart?
5) Am I wrong to not respect other peoples religions?

1) Respect to me is appropriate acknowledgment of the existence of a thing.

2) To show respect perhaps would be to show some familiarity of the thing which would imply acknowledgment of the thing.

3) If the religion is bizarre I believe you can acknowledge that its bizarre, but if by respect you mean to show some sort of positive discourse in the face of pure absurdity then no. I believe if a religion shows (unwarranted) harm to others then there shouldn't be no tolerance, or acknowledgment.

4) I believe you can tolerate/acknowledge a thing you disagree with

5) No.

sky dancer

This is a great topic. What does it mean to respect someone's religion? All I can offer is that I don't feel respected when someone ignores my religious choice, and tries to convert me to theirs.

I don't feel respected when another religion tries to tell me or legislate what my morality should be.

gnomon

There is never any reason to respect a belief for the mere sake that someone adheres to it. It's an intellectually dishonest endeavor.

I can acknowledge that someone holds a belief but any expectation on me to respect that belief is just a heaping load of irrational nonsense.

And if I hear of a belief that is so absurd or even dangerous I do not disrespect the belief but I will disrespect the fool that adheres to it.

sky dancer

I wonder if it's more a question of respecting the religious adherent, than respecting the religion itself? I respect people who have qualities of love, compassion, joy, wisdom and equanimity, regardless of what religion they practice.