• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't show respect for my religion!

sky dancer

I live in America. There's a great debate here about whether our culture should be secular or Christian. On second thought. maybe it's not even respect I'm interested in, tolerance would be wonderful. I like this website. http://www.religioustolerance.org/

Last edited:

gnomon

Tolerance is often overrated when it comes to religion. I tolerate religious practices only insofar as they comply with secular law. As long as no one is harming another human being I don't really care about their religious beliefs. Generally speaking.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
What if the basic tenet of my religion was " Disrespect all other religions"?
would I be actually disrespecting religions? or just following my religion? and would other people be justified in getting angry with me?

sky dancer

Tolerance is often overrated when it comes to religion. I tolerate religious practices only insofar as they comply with secular law. As long as no one is harming another human being I don't really care about their religious beliefs. Generally speaking.
Tolerance is never over-rated, IMO. We can always live and let live.

All religions must comply with law.

sky dancer

What if the basic tenet of my religion was " Disrespect all other religions"?
would I be actually disrespecting religions? or just following my religion? and would other people be justified in getting angry with me?
I get the feeling some evangelicals belief is disrespect all other religions. My way or the highway.

sky dancer

I'll give an example of something I respect about a religion and something I don't. I respect the way that LDS takes care of it's congregants, and is brilliantly organized and successful. There is basically an LDS theocracy in Utah.

I don't agree that Joseph Smith was a true prophet, and while I think in one way it's harmless to baptize every living human in America as LDS, it's also disrespectful to other religious traditions.

gnomon

Tolerance is never over-rated, IMO. We can always live and let live.

All religions must comply with law.

Living and let living is basically throwing away one's own moral compass. I've heard this tolerance for the sake of tolerance nonsense before. I've heard it from people who for the sake of tolerance would think it's wrong to tell people of another culture not to practice FGM. Such people think it's wrong to tell people not to throw acid on, burn or in any way kill their own children because they think they are a witch. I can pull many cultural beliefs, religious beliefs, that involve the physical mutilation of another human being, treating them to inane rites where a mental health practitioner is needed, etc.

People who tolerate such cultures are more concerned with keeping up a progressive appearance of tolerance than they are of the individuals being harmed for no logical reason.

I think part of the problem with this excess of tolerance is that those who preach it think all religions are peaceful at their core. I heard someone telling Hannity on the radio last week that no true religion would ever promote violence. Well that's just not true.

There are a lot of harmful beliefs out there. Tolerating them is a mistake. Demanding a rationale for held beliefs is not offensive nor is it intolerant. It should be something we teach every child.

edit: And in relevant news, Uganda is once again considering it's death penalty for gays this week.

Last edited:

Sum1sGruj

Religious and secular obedience could work together in unison if they wanted to, but everybody has different opinions and convictions. That is the real killer of order.

For example, if Muslims want to practice Shariah laws, then it could be allowed if one issues a legal signature that they are of that religion, and it would only be practiced within their populations.

But like I said, everyone wants the world to fit the bill in light of their beliefs.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I live in America. There's a great debate here about whether our culture should be secular or Christian. On second thought. maybe it's not even respect I'm interested in, tolerance would be wonderful. I like this website. ReligiousTolerance.org by the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
I live in the USA as well, but I haven't seen or heard of any debate, great or small, about whether our culture should be secular or Christian. Got some evidence, preferably links?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I live in the USA as well, but I haven't seen or heard of any debate, great or small, about whether our culture should be secular or Christian. Got some evidence, preferably links?
Perhaps "debate" in this means 2 sides advocating for their own agenda,
but without any actual arguing or discussion typical of a conventional debate.

Kerr

Living and let living is basically throwing away one's own moral compass. I've heard this tolerance for the sake of tolerance nonsense before. I've heard it from people who for the sake of tolerance would think it's wrong to tell people of another culture not to practice FGM. Such people think it's wrong to tell people not to throw acid on, burn or in any way kill their own children because they think they are a witch. I can pull many cultural beliefs, religious beliefs, that involve the physical mutilation of another human being, treating them to inane rites where a mental health practitioner is needed, etc.

People who tolerate such cultures are more concerned with keeping up a progressive appearance of tolerance than they are of the individuals being harmed for no logical reason.

I think part of the problem with this excess of tolerance is that those who preach it think all religions are peaceful at their core. I heard someone telling Hannity on the radio last week that no true religion would ever promote violence. Well that's just not true.

There are a lot of harmful beliefs out there. Tolerating them is a mistake. Demanding a rationale for held beliefs is not offensive nor is it intolerant. It should be something we teach every child.

edit: And in relevant news, Uganda is once again considering it's death penalty for gays this week.
I tend to like the concept "live and let live". But I am not sure "let live" involves abandoning ones moral compass and saying it is wrong to, say, throw acid in someones face. After all, it is harder for that person to "live", so I can´t "let live" when it comes to that. In either case, we probably just think the same thing but put it in different words :shrug:.

no-body

that particular debate has always been happening behind the scenes, even before and while our nation was formed. Thank God (ha) for the secular views of the founding fathers and too bad the fundamentalist Christians of the time forced them to be very subtle about our secular origins and rights.