• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You know What pisses me off about race and religion

Unibeauty

I don’t care about race in some ways, and care about it in others. That’s not the same thing as not being conscious of race. I am very conscious of race, but I know that it is not a morally or intellectually significant fact, even as it is socially and psychologically significant.

Religion is another matter entirely. It is morally, intellectually, socially and psychologically significant.
Why? People care too much about religion. Care for humans.

Unibeauty

Hi..... welcome to RF.
You can't deal with it? How much does counselling cost around your way? :)

Well, this forum has over 50,000 members so somebody somewhere is interested about other people, including race, religion, etc etc......

That's you. OK, but if you are right, and good people are few and far between, think about how exciting it is when you do find a good person........ like diamonds in sand, maybe? :)
Hi, thank you for responding. This is what I think is wrong judging. If a person wants to be one thing why shake them. Why stir their pot if they are happy. Why take their foundation, if it makes them ok everyday?

Unibeauty

I think "positions", that is your "opinions" that (to others) "colour" which "side" you are on (in the mind of the other who is observing your "opnions") play a HUGE role in "putting individuals into a box" and is more fundamental to such bigotry today than race.

For example, take the bigotry of the far left and media in America attacking an "African-American" (black) who is a Republican (such as Dr. Ben Carson or Clarence Thomas) that actually are extremely racist with comments such as "he isn't black" (or not "black enough") as if all blacks must be a certain "box" or welfare mamas and such instead of seeing them as individuals. The same happens to "Christians", for that matter who are among the most persecuted. And the same left-wing attacks viciously any homosexual and then uses the most vicious stereotypes to attack their very sexuality unless they agree to the narrative of a set of "political ten commandments". Elements in the right do the same, perhaps not to the mean-spirited extent of the left, nor is the "middle" saints either - in fact many if not most who go around saying "oh I am in the MIDDLE" (or even laughably "an independent") when this wing has it's own "political ten commandments" as they think they add to their own importance and sense of "I am smarter than those OTHERS who are not US" and this "center" is just another herd where individuals lose their individuality and then start attacking OTHERS and often in a very racial way.

So in my opinion, this is a form of bigotry, that then takes a language of it's own racism, and is a much larger problem today than actual racism which does exist but (in America) is actually very small in numbers while the ideologues are in larger numbers and in way more dangerous posiions of power than racists. They are a religion, too.

Also, it seems to me, things like Twitter and Facebook do not promote discussion but forms "groups" or "herds" of ideologues and makes this worse. Not saying to stop it, in fact way too many in such herds want to do exactly that, shut down these things and control the internet such that only their herd is allowed and no one else. There is a strange "digital identity" among such herds where they are a race (a digital race with it's own skin color) who are the superior race and all others must be exterminated.

That is where even religion becomes racist - the one place it is still alive is among the herds of a digital race.
Sounds like you hate America. Still a judgement you choose. Extermination is ridiculous. Why destroy when we can all create? Everyone will eventually die anyway.

Unibeauty

I do care about discussing good/beneficial forms of religious expression, healthy religious ideology vs. those less so. Doesn't really relate to race.

The "I'm Religion" badge tacked onto bad/detrimental forms of religious expression, unhealthy religious ideology gives an undeserved shield - protecting stuff poisonous to individuals and society while calling it sacred and halting criticism.
You use big words. Barely can understand what you are sayin
.........................dear lord
I don't understand this.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hi, thank you for responding. This is what I think is wrong judging. If a person wants to be one thing why shake them. Why stir their pot if they are happy. Why take their foundation, if it makes them ok everyday?
I believe in leaving people alone, but a % of humanity doesn't do that. :)
Many years ago I watched some children (in a shop) laughing at and mimicking some deaf kids.
The deaf kids were very upset. Then a young boy with cerebral palsy staggered into the shop and all the deaf kids staggered about in front of him, mimicking cerebral palsy.
Most humans are never going to learn............
Stick around on RF.... it may help...... worth trying... :)

Wherenextcolumbus

I think that is part of the problem. People claiming a race at all. We are all mixed anyway. Love people, not everything they do.

You probably think you are saying something really profound and you are in some way helping, but you're not. This colour blind, kumbaya talk when it comes to discussing racial relations actually makes things worse for people who actually face racism. "we are all from Africa" "we are all mixed race" silences the voices and experiences of people who are effected by racism and erases the experiences and identity of actual mixed raced people.
I don't think you will understand this anyway, so I'm probably wasting my time as per usual.

Unibeauty

Do you see my avatar? People like Raif Badawi are why I care about religion and its impact.
No one deserves bad things. No one deserves half of what they get. Do people deserve to starve to death or be tortured to death. Of course not. People hurting other people is the problem. A gun can't kill a person. A person has to pull the trigger.

gsa

No one deserves bad things. No one deserves half of what they get. Do people deserve to starve to death or be tortured to death. Of course not. People hurting other people is the problem. A gun can't kill a person. A person has to pull the trigger.

And religion is, whether you like it or not, a major reason people pull triggers.

Unibeauty

I believe in leaving people alone, but a % of humanity doesn't do that. :)
Many years ago I watched some children (in a shop) laughing at and mimicking some deaf kids.
The deaf kids were very upset. Then a young boy with cerebral palsy staggered into the shop and all the deaf kids staggered about in front of him, mimicking cerebral palsy.
Most humans are never going to learn............
Stick around on RF.... it may help...... worth trying... :)
People are cruel. Sometimes just to make themselves feel better. It's very unneccesary to hurt others. With the new generation of loving not hating things will change.

Sees

Dragonslayer
You use big words. Barely can understand what you are sayin
I don't understand this.

I am saying that being called "religion" doesn't give bad/negative/poor actions, beliefs, ideas a free ride. No free pass. It is not the same with race, color, sex, age or other things that you are born with and which do not dictate if a person will be good to others, how they will treat others.

Slapping the title of religion onto concepts of hate has been done and is done, it doesn't make it magically turn into a good thing or something we should tip-toe around and say "we respect it because it's his/her/their religion."

Oppression is something else that gets thrown into the box of religion, past and present...an example of something that should be called out and disrespected.

Reactions: gsa

Domenic

I'm white by birth. To myself I am, "Other." There is a race problem in America. America has always had a race problem. The problem has nothing to do with color. It has to do with how people act. The Native Americans were murdered, almost wiped out. White America wanted the Native Americans to act, and live like white Americans...to give up there life style, and live the white life style. It is the same today with Black Americans. White America wants black America to live, and act as white Americans, and to give up their life style.
Under Gods law there is only one life style...God sets the rule for that style...it has nothing to do with color. When Jesus comes to power, all will have to follow Gods rules for life style...those who do not make their hearts to follow his rules, will be removed.
I believe people should view the race problem from it's apex, with the question, "What makes the white life style better than any other?
From the scriptures it is easy to understand all people want to keep their life style. When Jesus comes he will change this by force, because we can't change without being forced to. When you think of how things will be after Jesus comes, what picture do you see? Do you see a white, black, or brown world...How do you see the life style?

Unibeauty

And religion is, whether you like it or not, a major reason people pull triggers.
I wish it was different but very true. I can't change people's choices but I can say love instead of hate. Change the world as much as you can. Make an impact where you can.

Unibeauty

I am saying that being called "religion" doesn't give bad/negative/poor actions, beliefs, ideas a free ride. No free pass. It is not the same with race, color, sex, age or other things that you are born with and which do not dictate if a person will be good to others, how they will treat others.

Slapping the title of religion onto concepts of hate has been done and is done, it doesn't make it magically turn into a good thing or something we should tip-toe around and say "we respect it because it's his/her/their religion."

Oppression is something else that gets thrown into the box of religion, past and present...an example of something that should be called out and disrespected.
I understand, I'm talking about hate. Hate of race, religion, sexual orientation, physical disabilities, mental handicaps and just people being people. We are supposed to be different. Did you know that the fact you were even born was a miracle? Why that one sperm found that one egg.

Jumi

Some of this stuff, "race relations" is politics somewhere else. It's completely alien to where I live.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
People are cruel. Sometimes just to make themselves feel better. It's very unneccesary to hurt others. With the new generation of loving not hating things will change.
Sadly, No.
There is no new generation of loving.
Humanity has the same drives now that it (probably) did ten thousand years ago, in my opinion.
We see hatred, envy, jealousy, greed, tyranny, etc... now, just the same as we always did. No change there, I'm afraid.
But we can strive to better ourselves as humans, and do all we can to set examples to others.
What more can we do?
Let's start by not picking upon any one group, faith, religion or culture for blame, but open up our own horizons for better understanding .........
Last year, my wife, very ill and near to death, her family and many 'friends' showed little interest in her welfare, yet people that she thought were strangers were right there, regular visitors, giving her confidence and boosting her determination. You never know, until the chips go down, who counts, and who doesn't. :)