• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You say that there is a god...

ppp

I told another member who was responding to the rude behavior of a theist that I believe they are able to rise above juvenile name-calling and false accusations as well as demonstrate a more mature character. And I'm saying the same to you. I've dealt with similar behavior (recently, in fact; see here), so I understand that it can be difficult to remain calm. I know that some members don't utilize the ignore option, but I've found it to be quite effective in lowering the drama on the forum. Of course, it's entirely your decision whether or not to respond, but I've discovered that it's less stressful for me if I don't.
On second thought. You're right. Empty calories.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

The same goes for you as for @Audie. Your choice to ignore me, means exposing your hypocrisy and ignorance will go unchallenged.

People who do this, and act like you do, seem to be hunting for the weak victims to build their own self-esteem.

Audie

Veteran Member
To pick the low hanging fruit:
  • Original sin
  • Cathar genocide
  • The eight Crusades
  • The assorted inquisitions
  • Blood libel and similar canards
  • Witch burning
  • Atlantic Slave Trade
  • Colonization and the accompanying genocides
  • Indigenous Residential school systems
  • Mother and Baby Homes.
Popularity of Bible has much to do with how
it is found to support whatever you want.

The sugarcane plantation owners in
Jamaica used slaves. Hard hot dangerous
work. They worked them to desth; healthy
slaves are hard to control. Two years was
about a lifespan.
Try to run away? Typical punishment was to be
chained to a log. Foot end is set afire.

Those were days when nobody would dare to be
an atheist.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Popularity of Bible has much to do with how
it is found to support whatever you want.

The sugarcane plantation owners in
Jamaica used slaves. Hard hot dangerous
work. They worked them to desth; healthy
slaves are hard to control. Two years was
about a lifespan.
Try to run away? Typical punishment was to be
chained to a log. Foot end is set afire.

Those were days when nobody would dare to be
an atheist.

I assume these slave owners were just following the example of the "Good Book." 1 Samuel 15:2–3: "2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’" Why not follow their God's example?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I assume these slave owners were just following the example of the "Good Book." 1 Samuel 15:2–3: "2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’" Why not follow their God's example?

You're, again, ignoring what it actually says. First of all, this has nothing to do with slavery. Second of all, they drew first blood and had been repeatedly killing for, I think, hundreds of years in the story. Perhaps you're like @Audie? You would prefer for unarmed people to submit and get trampled? Might = right?

Ignoring what's written seems to be a tactic you like to use. But it's almost always a failure to draw those types of conclusions without reading.

Audie

Veteran Member
Some slave owners considered it a huge favour,
as they'd baptized the slaves.
A lil hard work w salvation v eternity in a place way
worse than a plantation

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

To be quite honest, I don't see any reason to argue with people like that, especially the ones who get online and act like that, because there are rarely any significant consequences for their behavior. In my experience, people who act like that online would hardly ever talk to someone like that in person. They are either too cowardly to do it, or they realize that they're likely to get a punch in the nose or suffer some other severe consequence for their behavior.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Some slave owners considered it a huge favour,
as they'd baptized the slaves.
A lil hard work w salvation v eternity in a place way
worse than a plantation

Those owners, like you, are cherry picking. The same evil that possessed them is possessing you.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
To be quite honest, I don't see any reason to argue with people like that, especially the ones who get online and act like that, because there are rarely any significant consequences for their behavior. In my experience, people who act like that online would hardly ever talk to someone like that in person. They are either too cowardly to do it, or they realize that they're likely to get a punch in the nose or suffer some other severe consequence for their behavior.

That's precisely what it is to ignore the opposition, instead of confronting it. Cowardly.

Hah! A punch in the nose. Some sort of severe consequence. For what? For speaking truth in opposition to ignorance, arrogance and hypocrisy? The reason you might like imagining punching someone in the nose is because your words are powerless. They need some sort of truth behind behind them. So imagining a physical confrontation feels good.

The truth is, punching someone in the nose results in the serious consequences being visited back on the physical aggressor. Or, perhaps you're invoking your spiritual beliefs, thinking one of your spirits will execute your version of justice? None of that is real.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
See what I mean by "thats belief in yourself,
not in god "?
A lil actual wisdom would have recognized that.

A little reading would have recognized that every statement by that person includes those words.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You don't know what a god is.
As if you do.

God is Zeus. No wait, it must be Vishnu. No wait, it must be Mithra. No wait, maybe it’s Yahweh. Or perhaps it’s Gaia. Or any of the thousands of other options. Anything goes. There are no facts to make any definitive and final answer to what god is.

Factually god is a set of thousands of descriptions that don’t correlate to any real phenomenon. Gaia is the exception as it represents earth/nature.

Audie

Veteran Member
As if you do.

God is Zeus. No wait, it must be Vishnu. No wait, it must be Mithra. No wait, maybe it’s Yahweh. Or perhaps it’s Gaia. Or any of the thousands of other options. Anything goes. There are no facts to make any definitive and final answer to what god is.

Factually god is a set of thousands of descriptions that don’t correlate to any real phenomenon. Gaia is the exception as it represents earth/nature.
Such people don't remotely beieve in god.

They just believe they are gifted with infallibility.

Which has a tinge of that irony suff that we sometimes hear about.

Reactions: ppp

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What's to know? A four year old knows all about invisible Gods and it never gets any more complex than what a four year old understands. Why do you suppose that is? I bet your God knows everything and I bet your God created the entire universe which in turn makes you the genius.

LOL. You just admitted that you are unable to comprehend past a 4 year-old. And @F1fan agrees. Good for you both.

Your assertion, "it never gets more complicated" has been proven false. I asked you once, I don't think you responded.

How does an absolutely infinite god produce a reality which includes material muliplicity? Is it an easy concept? Something you would teach to a 4 year old? Do you have children? Do you know what a 4 year old is capable of? Do you know what you're talking about at all?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
As if you do.

Of course I do. That's why I can positively ID the god reponsible for the "enlightenment" you seem to idolize.

It's a general category. But your poor brain seems to be unable to attach, establish coherence, between the various concepts. Personally I think it's a self imposed limitation. But it's possible you are not capable for bringing these ideas together. it's OK. I'm not perfect either. If this is one of your flaws, there is no shame in it. Although, not being able to fathom that you are wrong about this, is shameful, and a little ironic, because you've just defined a god hich is your "self". And in theory, you're supposed to be buddhist who has annihilated that with the assitance of your beliefs.

So again, just like the foolish: "by default it's false" proves you wrong. Here, your argument that "if their God exists they would be more like me" fails. Your behavior demonstrates you have not annihilated the self in spite of your claim that this is an ideal. This shows you would not be able to identify it even if you see it OR you don't really value it OR you cant accomplish it, but are holding others to a higher standard than you yourself can achieve.

Whatever it is that you are practicing clearly isn't working. So why are you promoting it?

Deception doesn't correlate to any phenomona? Ignorance? Greed? Your ignorance is fully on display. Clearly it is a god which is active in your life, in your brain.

See here: There are multiple "gods" operating in the events occuring at, and prior to the Jan 6th riots. You wouldnt know it, because... ignorance has taken up residence inside you. You have multiple gods operating there.

Screenshot_20230714_123152.jpg

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
As if you do.

Winner frubal.