• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your best argument that G-d does not exist

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We have moral free will, the ability to violate the equal rights of others which we all possess, or honor them.
I don't see how slapping the word "moral" on the front of "free will" makes what you're saying any more reasonable. We're still talking about free will as freely choosing actions.

BTW: it seems to me that defining free will (or "moral free will") the way you did implies that the defining characteristic is our ability to deliberately make each other miserable. That's messed up.

And those choices we make are ours, not pre-determined.
Justification?

No we don't have freedom from natural law if that's what you're asking.
That isn't what I'm asking. I'm asking what's "free" about free will that's constrained by natural law, our desires, and all the other factors that we don't control?

A coin flip may be pre-determined from the beginning of time, but our moral choices are not, and there's no reason to believe that they are.
Again: justification?

I can't really say whether our desires, at least all of them, are generated by our genes and environment or whatever.
All that's relevant to this discussion is that our desires aren't chosen by us, but impact and constrain our choices. We may choose among options, but we don't choose what our options are.

There's a quote from Penn Jillette that's something like "I rape and murder exactly as much as I want: zero." You do believe that Penn Jillette has free will, right?

How would free will be violated if, like Penn, everybody had no desire to rape or murder?

But pursuing those desires is a choice determined by will considering how it will affect you and others.
But pursuing desires doesn't necessarily mean that those desires are fulfilled. Fulfilling negative desires toward others is what causes the suffering. Someone could spend their entire life pursuing the goal of killing people with his thoughts without ever hurting anyone.

That's the leap you haven't even tried to address: to try to explain how free will necessitates suffering, it isn't enough to talk about choices; you also need to address putting those choices into actions that have the desired effect.

... but this is in an environment where our choices often aren't translated into actions that have our desired effects; "the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley."

When trying to explain why people are murdered, "free will" can't be the whole story, because people who choose to murder often don't actually murder.

Our choices don't cause suffering unless they lead to the desired outcomes, and they often don't.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I don't see how slapping the word "moral" on the front of "free will" makes what you're saying any more reasonable. We're still talking about free will as freely choosing actions.

As opposed to choosing to violate natural law. We don't have the freedom to step off a cliff and choose not to fall. We also have the free will to choose to skip lunch today or not, but that's of no philosophical importance.

BTW: it seems to me that defining free will (or "moral free will") the way you did implies that the defining characteristic is our ability to deliberately make each other miserable. That's messed up.

There are examples in the news every day. A Jihadist could choose not to kill a bunch of people today or not. And besides choosing not to do evil, we can choose to do good--but those aren't choices involving morality unless you're preventing an evil act. Acts of kindness and maintaining personal integrity etc. involve virtue, not morality. I know those words are often used interchangeably, but to do so only confuses the issue--which is the intent for many people I'm sure.

Justification?

If our choices aren't our own, we're merely the puppets (angels?) of who or whatever created us. And again, if we weren't created and our spirit dies with our body, this whole exercise is irrelevant.

That isn't what I'm asking. I'm asking what's "free" about free will that's constrained by natural law, our desires, and all the other factors that we don't control?

But we do control our desires, not that we have them, but whether we choose to pursue them or not. We may desire the hot lookin' chick next door, but we either chose to force ourselves on her if she resists, try to win her over, or just do nothing. The first is immoral, and the last is the unvirtuous quality of cowardice, but that isn't immoral.

Again: justification?

I don't know what you're looking for there, a discussion of quantum mechanics?

All that's relevant to this discussion is that our desires aren't chosen by us, but impact and constrain our choices. We may choose among options, but we don't choose what our options are.

So you're saying that we do choose between the options available. I certainly agree with that. Some of those options involve violating the rights of another. Choosing to do them or not are moral choices.

There's a quote from Penn Jillette that's something like "I rape and murder exactly as much as I want: zero." You do believe that Penn Jillette has free will, right?

How would free will be violated if, like Penn, everybody had no desire to rape or murder?

If he's truly not tempted, then no, there's no desire, lucky him. Others do have that desire and either follow up on it or not. And we all have our temptations, usually following up on envy or lying to avoid blame--which I think we've all done.

But pursuing desires doesn't necessarily mean that those desires are fulfilled.

You mean like if you tried to rape or murder someone but failed? You still had evil intent. There should be no difference between murder and attempted murder, or for that matter 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree murder. If your attempted to kill someone, they're all equally immoral. Why should we be given leniency for not controlling our passion? All too often we "think" with our passions instead of controlling them with reason.

Fulfilling negative desires toward others is what causes the suffering. Someone could spend their entire life pursuing the goal of killing people with his thoughts without ever hurting anyone.

I agree. There's no such thing as an immoral thought. And, btw, it's not immoral to hurt another's feelings, even if you do it for the thrill. All the "victim" needs to do is to consider the unvirtuous source.

That's the leap you haven't even tried to address: to try to explain how free will necessitates suffering, it isn't enough to talk about choices; you also need to address putting those choices into actions that have the desired effect.

I have, but it may have been elsewhere. It's complicated. And it's all going to be offputting to an atheist or nihilist.

First off, if there is no God, there is no test, and the whole question is irrelevant. But if God (the spiritual embodiment of Truth) does exist and wanted other self-aware creatures with which It could interact, God would have to test them to see what the true character of each soul was, without It's divine influence which would include even knowing that It exists. And being Truth, It couldn't create the universe as a lie that would indicate that It didn't exist. The stage for this test has to be rational so that rational decisions, including rational moral decisions, could be made. And to determine the moral worth of each soul, they had to be able to make rational moral choices. The choice to do evil would necessarily involve pain and suffering and death, otherwise there'd be no evil. And in a dynamic universe there's always the possibility of disasters, so if God intervened supernaturally it would undermine that all important rational natural law. Plus keep in mind, it's assumed that this test is for a hereafter for the souls who can live for eternity (or whatever) with who and what they were/are. Against that backdrop, we are but a blink. And the price we have to pay for this test, beyond the suffering, is the ignorance and doubt about our ultimate fate, and the "Why?" of it all.

... but this is in an environment where our choices often aren't translated into actions that have our desired effects; "the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley."
When trying to explain why people are murdered, "free will" can't be the whole story, because people who choose to murder often don't actually murder.

If you chose to murder someone, you choice condemns you whether or not you succeed. If you only thought about it, no harm, no foul.

Our choices don't cause suffering unless they lead to the desired outcomes, and they often don't.

If Hitler had given the go ahead for the final solution, but then the allies got the bomb early and ended the war before the Holocaust, would that decision have been any less evil. If someone was pointing a gun at a would be victim but the police shot him first, why wouldn't the attempt be evil? And our actions do often cause suffering in the prevention of immoral acts, aka collateral damage. Never forget, Life Ain't Fair--in this life anyway.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Man, Israel was like the ultimate port and hub of international trade next to Egypt. Something got rubbed out here, I think's it's the Norsemen. That's who got crapped on when business was down. There are so many scandals and plain acts of betrayel and cover ups. I can tell you Israel was a tool, port, hub.. It was necessary at the time and now has gotten out of hand. People were in ancient times bread into slaves, into their caste system. Such was the former way of civilization, people find it cruel, inhumane, now we have pestillence and death on our streets going ignored. Children for gods sake are Liberated on those streets, peddlin, beggin. IT's a whole different level of balagna.

Zeus made me terrifically impersonal now... I believe the Gods may stick Vigilantism for future references on point, get crucified.

Apparently Athena appropriated the term, "Get crucified." and not she, Athena, is truly a god damned marvel. That's one for the funny papers, mankind, the real Wonder Woman. She's entirely delightful, rancid.

ENOUGH

This world is literally my play ground.

Shad

Veteran Member
That is the benefit, not the disasters. And yes, all that suffering would be pointless, as having free will would be, if (and I sense you're not gonna like this)....there is no hereafter. In the face of eternity, suffering would be forgotten in an instant. If there is no God and no afterlife, then yes, our lives are ultimately pointless and without purpose, and moral free will, whether we possess it or not, would be irrelevant.

Loaded argument and presupposition bias. You have stated there is a purpose for suffering and free will, these purposes are linked then arguing from that point. You have not demonstrated either purpose is real thus is merely an opinion, nothing more.

We have moral free will, the ability to violate the equal rights of others which we all possess, or honor them.

Too bad history shows that culture can determine how one views another person and what rights they may, or may not have. People were, and still are, taught such view points. The history of slavery a prime example of people being taught it was morally acceptable to withhold and/or create rights for one group that is different from another group(s). The rights you speak of are another presupposition you hold but have not demonstrated to exist.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Loaded argument and presupposition bias. You have stated there is a purpose for suffering and free will, these purposes are linked then arguing from that point. You have not demonstrated either purpose is real thus is merely an opinion, nothing more.

Well of course. My speculations are a reasonable progression from a If God, then....premise. My odds for there being God or no God are 50-50 each, so further suppositions are necessarily reduced in likelihood from that. Did you think I was going to claim some degree of certainty?

Too bad history shows that culture can determine how one views another person and what rights they may, or may not have.

Yes, but God was always claimed as the source of the knowledge, which obviates the conclusion that whatever knowledge was claimed was self-serving to the proclaimer(s). My rights are rationally deduced irrespective of God, based on the assumption of a nearly universal desire for good order--the only exceptions being despots and anarchists/nihilists. If you want to argue for the naturally superior rights of despots, be my guest and good luck with that.

People were, and still are, taught such view points. The history of slavery a prime example of people being taught it was morally acceptable to withhold and/or create rights for one group that is different from another group(s). The rights you speak of are another presupposition you hold but have not demonstrated to exist.

You make my case. Under my moral code, no such argument for the morality of slavery, genocide etc. is possible. The number one corollary from my moral code is that the source of ALL evil is a moral/legal double standard. Money, power, a charismatic personality etc. are merely tools used to achieve that double standard, or prevent it.[/QUOTE]

Shad

Veteran Member
Well of course. My speculations are a reasonable progression from a If God, then....premise.

Yes. However such an argument will never convince someone that does not hold these views.

My odds for there being God or no God are 50-50 each, so further suppositions are necessarily reduced in likelihood from that.

Which does nothing to convince people that these presuppositions are true or just created to conform to, and confirm, a view you already hold. You are starting with a conclusion and worked backwards.

Did you think I was going to claim some degree of certainty?

No. Although I expect better than the confirmation bias you posted above.

Yes, but God was always claimed as the source of the knowledge, which obviates the conclusion that whatever knowledge was claimed was self-serving to the proclaimer(s).
My rights are rationally deduced irrespective of God, based on the assumption of a nearly universal desire for good order--the only exceptions being despots and anarchists/nihilists. If you want to argue for the naturally superior rights of despots, be my guest and good luck with that.

How is your view more acceptable than the self-serving view of those you dismiss? Should I accept your views over others because you views are more politically correct, modern and benefit from hindsight? You have provided no argument that you view is not merely something you were taught, adopted or just jumping on the bandwagon of the masses opinions, which are subject to change as per history.

You make my case. Under my moral code, no such argument for the morality of slavery, genocide etc. is possible.

Which is typical belief held by the masses in many nations. How is your view not a product of modern society which holds similar views but on different foundations?

The number one corollary from my moral code is that the source of ALL evil is a moral/legal double standard. Money, power, a charismatic personality etc. are merely tools used to achieve that double standard, or prevent it.

I agree. However this challenges your connection between god and morality as a supportive point since I do not believe in god. Your purpose argument is still at a deadend for those that do not already believe in such a view. You are making statements not arguments.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Yes. However such an argument will never convince someone that does not hold these views.

Which does nothing to convince people that these presuppositions are true or just created to conform to, and confirm, a view you already hold. You are starting with a conclusion and worked backwards.

So because there are those who are close minded, I shouldn't speak? The Truth speaks for itself and is a majority of one.

No. Although I expect better than the confirmation bias you posted above.

Nice trick, characterize any position as bias, regardless.

How is your view more acceptable than the self-serving view of those you dismiss? Should I accept your views over others because you views are more politically correct, modern and benefit from hindsight? You have provided no argument that you view is not merely something you were taught, adopted or just jumping on the bandwagon of the masses opinions, which are subject to change as per history.

Because mine aren't based on a self-serving view, but on the desire of all but despots and anarchists,favoring good order equally for all.

Which is typical belief held by the masses in many nations. How is your view not a product of modern society which holds similar views but on different foundations?

Because their beliefs are "founded" on hearsay, at best, or on nothing more that a emotional "my side versus yours" double standard, ego-based mentality.

I agree. However this challenges your connection between god and morality as a supportive point since I do not believe in god. Your purpose argument is still at a deadend for those that do not already believe in such a view. You are making statements not arguments.

My morality has nothing to do with God, and is a stand-alone code derived from the desire that everyone but despots and anarchists want good order. And to allow the despots to have their way is to accept their demand for a double standard.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Second one isn't true but make your statements easier for me to understand what are u trying to say

Well then, how do you differentiate between a cause and its effect? How do you know which is which?

Suppose I tell you: no no, what you call effect is the cause and what you call cause is its effect. How would you prove me wrong?

Ciao

- viole

leibowde84

Veteran Member
G-d as mentioned in the following verses:

[1:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[1:2] All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
[1:3] The Gracious, the Merciful,
[1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.
[1:5] Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
[1:6] Guide us in the right path —
[1:7] The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/showChapter.php?ch=1

Regards
So, yes? The God of Abraham?

Shad

Veteran Member
So because there are those who are close minded, I shouldn't speak? The Truth speaks for itself and is a majority of one.

Your opinion, nothing more. Calling it a "Truth" is just fluff so you can feel your are not stating an opinion. I thought you said you weren't certain? To claim a "Truth" is to state a certain fact. You tipped over your own comments....

Nice trick, characterize any position as bias, regardless.

No it was clearly what you said. You hold a belief then filling in the gaps with other presupposition as evidence to confirm your believe.

Because mine aren't based on a self-serving view, but on the desire of all but despots and anarchists,favoring good order equally for all.

Self-serving does not mean evil intend. Since you have claimed "Truth" and also filled the gaps in your religious view with presuppositions as a form of confirmation bias you are putting forward a self-serving goal. It just isn't a horrible one.

Because their beliefs are "founded" on hearsay, at best, or on nothing more that a emotional "my side versus yours" double standard, ego-based mentality.

Empty claim and does nothing to show that you didn't join the bandwagon

My morality has nothing to do with God, and is a stand-alone code derived from the desire that everyone but despots and anarchists want good order. And to allow the despots to have their way is to accept their demand for a double standard.

Then your morality is subjective. Good order does not mean a moral society.

Do not get me wrong you have a positive code of morals. My point is that you have done nothing to show this is a "truth" rather than opinion.[/quote]

Last edited:

Kartari

Hi Paine,

I don't disagree with any of that. The issue is "innate" wisdom, that is wisdom that we are born with rather than earned. As I said, that would make us pre-programmed automatons, pursuing our internal "wisdom" by rote.

You agreed with me that freedom is proportionally improved by wisdom. Yet, somehow, you also think that being born with more wisdom early on has the opposite effect, that it somehow makes you less free or a "pre-programmed automaton." This makes absolutely zero sense to me.

In what way does possessing more wisdom earlier on in life make one less free (an "automaton") if wisdom grants you more freedom?

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
You agreed with me that freedom is proportionally improved by wisdom. Yet, somehow, you also think that being born with more wisdom early on has the opposite effect, that it somehow makes you less free or a "pre-programmed automaton." This makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Because I don't agree that we are born with wisdom. Wisdom is learned and earned.

Your opinion, nothing more. Calling it a "Truth" is just fluff so you can feel your are not stating an opinion. I thought you said you weren't certain? To claim a "Truth" is to state a certain fact. You tipped over your own comments....

Some things are facts that we can know. You're taking certain things that we don't or can't know, like the existence of God, and saying that shows that we can't know anything, like knowledge of the existence of air, or gravity.

Shad

Veteran Member
Some things are facts that we can know. You're taking certain things that we don't or can't know, like the existence of God, and saying that shows that we can't know anything, like knowledge of the existence of air, or gravity.

Hardly. You are making statements rather than arguments so you have done nothing to show your statements are a fact rather than opinion. You have yet to show that your code is nothing more than a product of society at large.

Kartari

Hi Paine,

Because I don't agree that we are born with wisdom. Wisdom is learned and earned.

I did not claim that we are born with it. I claimed that IF we were hypothetically born with it (i.e. IF a God exists and bestowed us with it from birth), we would be born with more, rather than less, freedom, because being wiser means being more free.

And so, notwithstanding whether we're born with it or needing to learn it, having more wisdom increases your freedom in both cases. Whether it's inborn or learned is irrelevant to its consequence of freeing the individual, and furthermore having less wisdom decreases rather than increases freedom since its absence makes one more compelled by and attached to desires and whims.

Therefore, the argument that God could have bestowed us with more wisdom, but opted to withhold it in order to preserve our freedom (i.e. to not make us "pre-programmed automatons") is a logically unsound one. The exact opposite choice on God's part would have better preserved our freedom.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Your best argument that "G-d does not exist"

They don't have a single argument even, not to speak of the best among many. Right? Please
Regards