• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Most Common Misconceptions about Islam

kai

ragamuffin
The point I am trying to make is, if a Muslim kills his or herself from whatever means; and may have nothing to do with suicide bombing but secular reasons, such as jumping off a cliff because they lost their job, or they were exposed to have an extramarital affair with other man or women. People in the West are quick to judge it is because of their religion they did it. But if an atheist killed his or herself, people are much less prone to judge that as anything to do with their philosophy, but a psychiatric disorder such as major depression; or a terminal illness such as a grade four cancer.

Ok but i dont see that , i dont think suicides by Muslims get much headlines unless its highly dramatic and they take others with them. And I believe suicide is forbidden in Islam

Sahar

What I've heard is that true message of the Koran encourages Muslims to wage war on non-believers and to convert by the sword. I've heard that it's the moderate Muslims preaching love and peace for all people that are further away from the heart of the Koran than the ones who believe in waging Jihad against "infidels".
I've also heard that the Koran sends two different messages. One is a more moderate and tolerant message preached by Muhammed from his earlier days. I've heard that after he was rejected as a prophet by Jews and Christians that his message became much more militant and hostile against non-believers.
We need to know who are those non believers to form a fair opinion. The story started by the revelation to the Prophet Muhammad. After which he started to invite his family and close friends to the new religion. Then he invited others openly. The elite of Mecca opposed this new religion. They systematically tortured its followers in all forms, just because they chose to embrace the new belief. The first martyr in Islam was a woman called "Sumayya". She was tortured very badly by someone called "Abu Lahab" (who had an important status in the city then), and in spite of the torture she refused to abandon Islam until Abu Lahab got angry and he stabbed her in her private parts. Her husband was killed, as well, for embracing Islam.

Due to that oppression, a group of Muslims left their homes and migrated to Ethiopia. The disbelievers didn't even leave them to seek protection in another country but they went to the king of Ethiopia asking him to hand them over!!!

They also imposed a blockade over Muhammad pbuh, his relatives and companions (no trade, no food, no water, etc) up to starving.

Until Muhammad and his Companions could finally seek protection in another city, Madina, and migrated there.

After the migration to Madina and establishing the first Muslim community, Muslims and the disbelievers clashed into multiple wars.

The conclusion is the disbelievers whom Muslims fought were not peaceful and tolerant people but they were the oppressors and tyrants who tortured and killed Muslims and who kicked them out of their homes, just for believing in the One God.

Muslims were asked to be patient during the 13 years of Mecca to leave a space for Da'wa (inviting people to Islam). The Qur'an contains a message, and this message need to be conveyed, the 13 years of Mecca were for this reason. If Muslims replied back, at that time, there could be some sort of a civil war, in addition such environment of violence will harm the message that the Qur'an came to convey. And I believe the Qur'an is teaching us a lesson that you shouldn't raise your weapon against the people you live with.

When Muslims were separated from Mecca and its authority, and founded a wholly new state with a distinctive rule and authority, the time to physically oppose the aggressive and the tyrant authority and to protect their state and existence of their beliefs came.

This is the context of the verses about the fight between the believers and the disbelievers. And you quoted the verse that says "fight those who fight you". This is the rule. And when we face similar situations of aggression and tyranny in the different places and times, these verses become very relevant such as the current condition of Muslims.

The Qur'an clearly said "Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things." Al-Baqarah: 256
This Ayah was revealed in Medina. Simply you can't force any kind of beliefs upon any person. But you can fight against tyranny.

Last edited:

Sahar

I hope you aren't refering to the war in Afghanistan, because the person that started that war said himself it was a religious war.
I was referring to the Qur'anic Ayah in Surat Al-Baqarah. :cover:

Apparently you don't watch the news very often,
No no, this can be said to the average American for example, not me.

or you would have heard about the rash of s*** Obama has been catching from Israel about being the only president to openly and publicly support a two state solution with the Pre-1967 borders.
Oh, don't you know? I don't take Obama seriously. ;)
Progress is being made, albeit slowly.
I wouldn't say slowly.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has approved the construction of 294 new homes in Beitar Ilit settlement on the occupied West Bank
Israel 'approves new West Bank settler homes' - FRANCE 24
Don't you watch the news very often? :rolleyes:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
What of passages like this? Are you telling me all of these are in the context of self-defense? Does the Koran say anything at all about loving your enemies?

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)

"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme."Surah 8:36-)

"Fight against such as those to whom the Scriptures were given [Jews and Christians]...until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued." (Surah 9:27-)

"Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them." (Surah 9:121-)

"Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it." (Surah 2:216)

"Believers, when you encounter the infidels on the march, do not turn your backs to them in flight. If anyone on that day turns his back to them, except it be for tactical reasons...he shall incur the wrath of God and Hell shall be his home..." (Surah 8:12-)

"...make war on the leaders of unbelief...Make war on them: God will chastise them at your hands and humble them. He will grant you victory over them..." (Surah 9:12-)

"Seek out your enemies relentlessly." (Surah 4:103-)

Last edited:

St Giordano Bruno

Ok but i dont see that , i dont think suicides by Muslims get much headlines unless its highly dramatic and they take others with them. And I believe suicide is forbidden in Islam

I heard someone make a comment in a work recreation room recently commenting about some asylum seekers which committed suicide in a mandatory detention centre here in Australia. He said "they are Muslims of course; they often do that sought of thing"

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
(Sharing an article)

"Islam is probably the least understood and most demonized religion today. The critics of Islam have created this persona based primarily on misconceptions, ignorance and malice. You’ve probably heard of some of the following common misconceptions about Islam."

A Nice article.

The Ten Most Common Misconceptions about Islam

RE: #6- they let the Mandeans live.... Book/Prophet/God=life in the old days.... now?

RitalinO.D.

I was referring to the Qur'anic Ayah in Surat Al-Baqarah. :cover:

Ok

No no, this can be said to the average American for example, not me.

If you say so..

Oh, don't you know? I don't take Obama seriously. ;)

Not sure how I would know that but ok...Doesn't make what I said any less truthful.

I wouldn't say slowly.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak has approved the construction of 294 new homes in Beitar Ilit settlement on the occupied West Bank
Israel 'approves new West Bank settler homes' - FRANCE 24
Don't you watch the news very often? :rolleyes:

Like I said...slowly.

Regardless of what happens, It won't make everyone happy. And the PA Including Hamas in negotiations isn't doing them any favors, especially with the US or any other western country that considers them a terrorist org. The bigger problem is there will never be a solution without those western countries.

kai

ragamuffin
I heard someone make a comment in a work recreation room recently commenting about some asylum seekers which committed suicide in a mandatory detention centre here in Australia. He said "they are Muslims of course; they often do that sought of thing"

wow! how ignorant.

Sahar

What of passages like this? Are you telling me all of these are in the context of self-defense? Does the Koran say anything at all about loving your enemies?

"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme."Surah 8:36-)

"Fight against such as those to whom the Scriptures were given [Jews and Christians]...until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued." (Surah 9:27-)

"Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them." (Surah 9:121-)

"Believers, when you encounter the infidels on the march, do not turn your backs to them in flight. If anyone on that day turns his back to them, except it be for tactical reasons...he shall incur the wrath of God and Hell shall be his home..." (Surah 8:12-)

"...make war on the leaders of unbelief...Make war on them: God will chastise them at your hands and humble them. He will grant you victory over them..." (Surah 9:12-)

You know what, I haven't seen the copying and pasting from the Anti-Islamic websites with twisting of the Qur'anic verses and its meanings since a while.

Yes, all these verses are in the light of what I explained in post 64:
Sahar said:
The conclusion is the disbelievers whom Muslims fought were not peaceful and tolerant people but they were the oppressors and tyrants who tortured and killed Muslims and who kicked them out of their homes, just for believing in the One God.

We have two groups, those who are peaceful to Muslims and those who fight against them.
For the first group, the Qur'an says:
"Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just."
(8: Al-Momtahana)

For the second group, the Qur'an says:
"Allah only forbids you, with regard to those who fight you for (your) Faith, and drive you out of your homes, and support (others) in driving you out, from turning to them (for friendship and protection). It is such as turn to them (in these circumstances), that do wrong." (9: Al-Momtahana)

All the Ayaat about fighting is directed to the second group. This is the rule.

And even for those who showed enmity against Muslims: "And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allāh. Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing, the Knowing." Al-Anfal.

The before and after verses clarify the context of the following verses:
"O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

Those in whose hearts is a disease - thou seest how eagerly they run about amongst them, saying: "We do fear lest a change of fortune bring us disaster." Ah! perhaps Allah will give (thee) victory, or a decision according to His will. Then will they repent of the thoughts which they secretly harboured in their hearts.
And those who believe will say: "Are these the men who swore their strongest oaths by Allah that they were with you'' All that they did has been in vain, and they have become the losers" [51-53: Al-Ma'ida]

Running to them for fear of defeating the believers by the disbelievers and Allah will give you victory...in the context of the same conflict.

But Muslims deal with the peaceful Jews and Christians with kindness and there is no proof more than permissibility of marrying a Jew or a Christian woman by the Muslim man. Also:
The first encounter between Islam as a state and non-Muslim citizens occurred in Madinah shortly after the Prophet's Hijrah. The nascent state had to establish a system that its citizens could follow and by which its authorities should abide. In other words, the state needed a constitution. Here the first Islamic political document was written, and most probably dictated, by the order of the Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him). This document was historically known as the Document of Madinah or the Paper of Madinah, although nowadays it is called it the Constitution of Madinah.​
The following are some of the articles in this document:

• This is a document from Muhammad, the Prophet and the Messenger of Allah (governing the relations) between the Muslims of Quraish and Yathrib, and those who joined them and struggled along with them.
  • They are one Ummah to the exclusion of all [other] men [i.e., people].
  • The Jews who follow us deserve aid and equality; they shall not be wronged nor shall their enemy be aided.
  • No polytheist shall protect a property belonging to Quraish nor shall he deter a believer from it.
  • The Jews shall contribute, along with the Muslims, to the cost of war if they are in a state of war.
  • The Jews of the Banu `Awf are one community with the believers; the Jews have their religion and the Muslims have theirs. This applies also to their freed slaves and their persons except those who behave unjustly and sinfully.
The document also mentions nine Jewish tribes and states that theyhave the same rights as the Banu `Awf. It also states that the Jews and Muslims must advise, cooperate, and help each other against anyone who attacks the signatories of this document. The document concludes by making Allah the witness of what is agreed upon.​
According to this document, the non-Muslims living in the state of Madinah were considered to be citizens; they had the same rights and duties as Muslims.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/79687-contemporary-islamic-view-dhimmah.html

Verse 39 not 36 , of course with the twisted translation.
Some verse preceding this one says:
"Remember how the Unbelievers plotted against thee, to keep thee in bonds, or slay thee, or get thee out (of thy home). They plot and plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah...

And fight them on until there is no more oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do." (30,39: Al-Anfal)

You mean verse 123.
"O ye who believe! fight the unbelievers who gird you about, and let them find firmness in you: and know that Allah is with those who fear Him." (123: At-Tawba)
Yes!
fighting those who fight us is a legitimate right and an obligation.
"And why should you not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)? Men, women, and children, whose cry is: 'Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from Yourside one who will protect; and raise for us from Yourside one who will help!'" (75: An-Nisaa')

"But if they violate their oaths after their covenant, and taunt you for your Faith,- fight ye the chiefs of Unfaith: for their oaths are nothing to them: that thus they may be restrained.
Will ye not fight people who violated their oaths, plotted to expel the Messenger, and took the aggressive by being the first (to assault) you? Do ye fear them? Nay, it is Allah Whom ye should more justly fear, if ye believe!"
(12-13: At-Tawbah)
You mean Ayah #104!!
"And slacken not in following up the enemy: If ye are suffering hardships, they are suffering similar hardships; but ye have Hope from Allah, while they have none. And Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom." (104: An-Nisa')

I have no problem with these Ayaat.

Last edited:

Sahar

Does the Koran say anything at all about loving your enemies?
The Qur'an says:
And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend. Fussilat:34

:)

Oh they are out there,from the Hamas website Qassam :................ may Allah (swt) accept him and his blessed efforts for the path of Jihad and may Allah grant his family patience and solace for his lose.
Apart from religions and its unfruitful arguments, what would you do if foreigners invaded your country, drove you out from your home and occupied it and destroyed your land? And you have no power to fight them and your country doesn't have an organized army to fight and retrieve the land.
If you blew yourself up among some of their solders I'll consider you a free and brave man.

Sahar

Your good will is much appreciated. Thank you. :)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It's not a religious war. What is described in the Ayah is called self-defense, it's called fighting against oppression and injustice. "Fight against those who fight you"!! How terrible!! Or do you suggest "send roses to those who fight you"?!!
Yes, indeed, the US support of Israel is a war against Muslims. The US invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq is a war against Muslims.
Make up your mind.