• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Most Common Misconceptions about Islam

Bismillah

Submit
Yeah the British were competent in the harvest of Turkish colonies weren't they after the Arabs fought for them and they were oh so understanding once they abandoned the Palestinians.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yeah the British were competent in the harvest of Turkish colonies weren't they after the Arabs fought for them and they were oh so understanding once they abandoned the Palestinians.
It is interesting that the world didn't lose much sleep over the "Palestinian" issue before Yassar Arafat reared his ugly head. He didn't even get much attention prior to resorting to terrorist acts. That got everyone's attention.

Bismillah

Submit
Yeah, he did well to base his actions off those of the Jewish terrorist organisations that preceded the founding of Israel and which appointed mass murders as its statesmen.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Back to the OP though, I do feel that "Islam is a religion of peace" is a pretty big misconception. It's not. It's all about submission to what is allegedly divine authority. Theoretically peace follows submitting to Islam, but when all your serious opposition is silenced, things do seem to get pretty peaceful. You could think of this "peace" as being a ripple effect once the dust settles.

kai

ragamuffin
I wonder if waves of illegal Zionist immigration had any correlation with the increase in hostilities.

I have no doubt it did , what do you think of the idea that maybe , just maybe Jews have an Ummah too?

Historical background is everything to this subject but the problem is wheres the cut off line do we go back and back and say well lets draw the line here? or do we say there is no line its a continuing story.

Violence continued throughout 1938 and eventually petered out in 1939 with the approaching war in Europe.[1]
In the final fifteen months of the revolt alone there were 936 murders and 351 attempted murders; 2,125 incidents of sniping; 472 bombs thrown and detonated; 364 cases of armed robbery; 1,453 cases of sabotage against government and commercial property; 323 people abducted; 72 cases of intimidation; 236 Jews killed by Arabs and 435 Arabs killed by Jews, mostly while defending settlements; 1,200 rebels killed by the police and military and 535 wounded.

and thats all before WW2 had even started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassamiyun

Last edited:

Sahar

Why don't you move your debate about Palestine and the Jews to any of the other threads in the political debates section? This kind of debate doesn't end and it's derailing the thread.

Let's focus on the misconceptions about Islam here.

kai

ragamuffin
Why don't you move your debate about Palestine and the Jews to any of the other threads in the political debates section? This kind of debate doesn't end and it's derailing the thread.

Let's focus on the misconceptions about Islam here.

Yep your right, sorry about that, its so easy to meander away from the OP. I do think think though that most misconceptions are generated by example.

Lets take the notion that Islam is the religion of Peace well Muslims didn't sit down and ponder the universe for 1400 years they expanded and colonized vast expanses of land and this process was understandably violent hence the "misconception" that Islam is a violent religion.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Then I feel it would be fair to guess/assume that Christianity is also not exactly a religion of Peace, based on that logic?

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Yeah I am with kai. Islam is 100% taught and 50% followed. Misconceptions come from the behaviors of others. It is common knowledge that Allah isn't a moon deity, but the behavior of extremist preachers bent on demonizing Islam is apparent. We know that Islam doesn't promote terrorism, but we see the likes of Osama (now dead), Muqtada Al-Sadr and the likes that promote violence by any means necessary.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Then I feel it would be fair to guess/assume that Christianity is also not exactly a religion of Peace, based on that logic?
Christianity is not billed as "the religion of peace" by many of its followers however.

Bismillah

Submit
There are many aspects of peace, you would do well to ponder them and realize just why the idea of Islam as the religion of peace is so popular.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What of passages like this? Are you telling me all of these are in the context of self-defense? Does the Koran say anything at all about loving your enemies?

"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)

"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme."Surah 8:36-)

"Fight against such as those to whom the Scriptures were given [Jews and Christians]...until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued." (Surah 9:27-)

"Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them." (Surah 9:121-)

"Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it." (Surah 2:216)

"Believers, when you encounter the infidels on the march, do not turn your backs to them in flight. If anyone on that day turns his back to them, except it be for tactical reasons...he shall incur the wrath of God and Hell shall be his home..." (Surah 8:12-)

"...make war on the leaders of unbelief...Make war on them: God will chastise them at your hands and humble them. He will grant you victory over them..." (Surah 9:12-)

"Seek out your enemies relentlessly." (Surah 4:103-)

Accurate quotes?

They would seem to coincide with interviews I've seen reported in news documentaries.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Accurate quotes?
Here are those quotes in various translations:
"Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)
Sahih International
O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.

Muhsin Khan
O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.), they are but Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as Auliya', then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust).

Pickthall
O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. They are friends one to another. He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them. Lo! Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk.

Yusuf Ali
O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

Shakir
O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.

Dr. Ghali
O you who have believed, do not take to yourselves the Jews and the Nasara (Christians) as patrons; some of them are patrons to some (others). And whoever of you patronizes them, then surely he is one of them. Surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.
"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme."Surah 8:36-)
Sahih International
Indeed, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to avert [people] from the way of Allah . So they will spend it; then it will be for them a [source of] regret; then they will be overcome. And those who have disbelieved - unto Hell they will be gathered.

Muhsin Khan
Verily, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, and so will they continue to spend it; but in the end it will become an anguish for them. Then they will be overcomed. And those who disbelieve will be gathered unto Hell.

Pickthall
Lo! those who disbelieve spend their wealth in order that they may debar (men) from the way of Allah. They will spend it, then it will become an anguish for them, then they will be conquered. And those who disbelieve will be gathered unto hell,

Yusuf Ali
The Unbelievers spend their wealth to hinder (man) from the path of Allah, and so will they continue to spend; but in the end they will have (only) regrets and sighs; at length they will be overcome: and the Unbelievers will be gathered together to Hell;-

Shakir
Surely those who disbelieve spend their wealth to hinder (people) from the way of Allah; so they shall spend it, then it shall be to them an intense regret, then they shall be overcome; and those who disbelieve shall be driven together to hell.

Dr. Ghali
Surely the ones who have disbelieved expend their riches to bar from the way of Allah; so they will soon expend them; thereafter these will be (a cause) of regret for them; thereafter they will be overcome; and the ones who have disbelieved will be mustered to Hell.
"Fight against such as those to whom the Scriptures were given [Jews and Christians]...until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued." (Surah 9:27-)
Sahih International
Then Allah will accept repentance after that for whom He wills; and Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

Muhsin Khan
Then after that Allah will accept the repentance of whom He will. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Pickthall
Then afterward Allah will relent toward whom He will; for Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Yusuf Ali
Again will Allah, after this, turn (in mercy) to whom He will: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

Shakir
Then will Allah after this turn (mercifully) to whom He pleases, and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Dr. Ghali
Thereafter Allah even after that relents towards whomever He decides; and Allah is Ever-Forgiving, Ever-Merciful..
"Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them." (Surah 9:121-)
Sahih International
Nor do they spend an expenditure, small or large, or cross a valley but that it is registered for them that Allah may reward them for the best of what they were doing.

Muhsin Khan
Nor do they spend anything (in Allah's Cause) - small or great - nor cross a valley, but is written to their credit, that Allah may recompense them with the best of what they used to do (i.e. Allah will reward their good deeds according to the reward of their best deeds which they did in the most perfect manner).

Pickthall
Nor spend they any spending, small or great, nor do they cross a valley, but it is recorded for them, that Allah may repay them the best of what they used to do.

Yusuf Ali
Nor could they spend anything (for the cause) - small or great- nor cut across a valley, but the deed is inscribed to their credit: that Allah may requite their deed with the best (possible reward).

Shakir
Nor do they spend anything that may be spent, small or great, nor do they traverse a valley, but it is written down to their credit, that Allah may reward them with the best of what they have done.

Dr. Ghali
Nor do they expend any expense, small or great, nor do they cut across any valley, except that it is written for them, (i.e., written o their account) that Allah may recompense them for the fairest of whatever they were doing.

Source
Continued

McBell

Admiral Obvious
"Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it." (Surah 2:216)
Sahih International
Fighting has been enjoined upon you while it is hateful to you. But perhaps you hate a thing and it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing and it is bad for you. And Allah Knows, while you know not.

Muhsin Khan
Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.

Pickthall
Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you; but it may happen that ye hate a thing which is good for you, and it may happen that ye love a thing which is bad for you. Allah knoweth, ye know not.

Yusuf Ali
Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.

Shakir
Fighting is enjoined on you, and it is an object of dislike to you; and it may be that you dislike a thing while it is good for you, and it may be that you love a thing while it is evil for you, and Allah knows, while you do not know.

Dr. Ghali
Prescribed for you is fighting, and you have a hatred for it; and it may be that you hate a thing, while (Literally: and) it is most charitable for you; and it may be that you love a thing while (Literally: and) it is evil for you; and Allah knows and you do not know.
"Believers, when you encounter the infidels on the march, do not turn your backs to them in flight. If anyone on that day turns his back to them, except it be for tactical reasons...he shall incur the wrath of God and Hell shall be his home..." (Surah 8:12-)
Sahih International
[Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

Muhsin Khan
(Remember) when your Lord inspired the angels, "Verily, I am with you, so keep firm those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who have disbelieved, so strike them over the necks, and smite over all their fingers and toes."

Pickthall
When thy Lord inspired the angels, (saying): I am with you. So make those who believe stand firm. I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger.

Yusuf Ali
Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

Shakir
When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.

Dr. Ghali
As Your Lord was revealing to the Angels, (saying), "I am with you; so make the ones who believe stand firm. I will soon cast into the hearts of the ones who have disbelieved horror; so strike above the necks, and strike every finger-tip of them."
"...make war on the leaders of unbelief...Make war on them: God will chastise them at your hands and humble them. He will grant you victory over them..." (Surah 9:12-)
Sahih International
And if they break their oaths after their treaty and defame your religion, then fight the leaders of disbelief, for indeed, there are no oaths [sacred] to them; [fight them that] they might cease.

Muhsin Khan
But if they violate their oaths after their covenant, and attack your religion with disapproval and criticism then fight (you) the leaders of disbelief (chiefs of Quraish - pagans of Makkah) - for surely their oaths are nothing to them - so that they may stop (evil actions).

Pickthall
And if they break their pledges after their treaty (hath been made with you) and assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief - Lo! they have no binding oaths - in order that they may desist.

Yusuf Ali
But if they violate their oaths after their covenant, and taunt you for your Faith,- fight ye the chiefs of Unfaith: for their oaths are nothing to them: that thus they may be restrained.

Shakir
And if they break their oaths after their agreement and (openly) revile your religion, then fight the leaders of unbelief-- surely their oaths are nothing-- so that they may desist.

Dr. Ghali
And in case they breach their oaths after their covenant, and discredit your religion, then fight the leaders of disbelief; surely they have no (binding) oaths, that possibly they would refrain..
"Seek out your enemies relentlessly." (Surah 4:103-)
Sahih International
And when you have completed the prayer, remember Allah standing, sitting, or [lying] on your sides. But when you become secure, re-establish [regular] prayer. Indeed, prayer has been decreed upon the believers a decree of specified times.

Muhsin Khan
When you have finished As-Salat (the prayer - congregational), remember Allah standing, sitting down, and lying down on your sides, but when you are free from danger, perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as- Salat). Verily, the prayer is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours.

Pickthall
When ye have performed the act of worship, remember Allah, standing, sitting and reclining. And when ye are in safety, observe proper worship. Worship at fixed times hath been enjoined on the believers.

Yusuf Ali
When ye pass (Congregational) prayers, celebrate Allah's praises, standing, sitting down, or lying down on your sides; but when ye are free from danger, set up Regular Prayers: For such prayers are enjoined on believers at stated times.

Shakir
Then when you have finished the prayer, remember Allah standing and sitting and reclining; but when you are secure (from danger) keep up prayer; surely prayer is a timed ordinance for the believers.

Dr. Ghali
So, when you have accomplished the prayer, then remember Allah, upright, and seated, and on your sides. (Yet) when you feel composed, then keep up the prayer; surely the prayer has been a timed prescription (Literally: book) for the believers.

Source
I would like to know where he got his version from...