• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

20 Signs that God exist, and Quraan is the word of God

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

So do you think all Scotsmen are gangsters.

But of course it isn't right to say "true Scotsmen wouldn't do this" but the right thing to say that there is no relation between being a Scotsman and being a gangster and as well there is no relation of being a bad Muslim and Islam.

Not yet understood,then let me talk with Antony Flew(if still alive) as his example i think is a stupid one.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Sign 23

And We took the Children of Israel across the sea, and Pharaoh and his soldiers pursued them in tyranny and enmity until, when drowning overtook him, he said, "I believe that there is no deity except that in whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of the Muslims."(10:90)

Now? And you had disobeyed [Him] before and were of the corrupters?(10:91)

So today We will save you in body that you may be to those who succeed you a sign. And indeed, many among the people, of Our signs, are heedless (10:92)

[youtube]CvL-yUX5vKc[/youtube]
Big Signs (Pharaoh - A Sign part 1) - YouTube

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
Islam is a system of life. Plumbing is a job.

Do you refer to Christianity as what Christians do?

Anything done in the name of their religion, yes. If you strap a bomb to your chest and run into a building for the sake of Islam... You are... what a surprise... Representing Islam. But by that same token, if someone donates to charity and feeds the poor in the name of Islam, they also are representing Islam. My view of Islam is basically the same as every other religion. A mixture of both good and bad.

Sabour

Anything done in the name of their religion, yes.

Is there a difference between someone claiming to do things in the name of religion and one who is truly doing something because of religion. Or it is the same ?

If you strap a bomb to your chest and run into a building for the sake of Islam... You are... what a surprise... Representing Islam.

[youtube]Jy9tNyp03M0[/youtube]
Mehdi Hasan | Islam Is A Peaceful Religion | Oxford Union - YouTube

But by that same token, if someone donates to charity and feeds the poor in the name of Islam, they also are representing Islam.

And some people do it for their public image. I don't say oh look .. See what Islam teaches.

However if a poor guy was giving charity, I would say look what Islam teaches.

My view of Islam is basically the same as every other religion. A mixture of both good and bad.

My view on Islam is perfect. Taken out of context and being associated to what some called muslims do make it look bad.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Is there a difference between someone claiming to do things in the name of religion and one who is truly doing something because of religion. Or it is the same ?
no True Scotsman fallacy.

And some people do it for their public image. I don't say oh look .. See what Islam teaches.

However if a poor guy was giving charity, I would say look what Islam teaches.
yes, you cherry pick what you like and dismiss what you dislike.

That is merely standard operating procedure for religious.

My view on Islam is perfect. Taken out of context and being associated to what some called muslims do make it look bad.
My view is that no religion is perfect.
But then, I am not closing an eye to the things I dislike...

Sabour

no True Scotsman fallacy.

yes, you cherry pick what you like and dismiss what you dislike.

That is merely standard operating procedure for religious.

My view is that no religion is perfect.
But then, I am not closing an eye to the things I dislike...

You can think what you want. But I hope you take a view from the other side.

I don't know if you are generalizing about religions or you really have your thoughts about Islam.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Hello Guys

I'm only quoting the verses, to keep this all in one post, but know that I did read your commentary to the verses.

1- String theory ( first studied in the late 1960s)

51:7 "By heaven furnished with paths;"
First of all, string theory isn't the only theoretical framework for the universe, and like other quantum mechanic sciences, is highly complex and shouldn't be referred to unless one has intimate knowledge of the subject, which only comes from years of study.

Second of all, the universe is ALL things, including the Earth. I'm pretty sure Islam regards Heaven and Earth as different things.

Finally, it's actually far more likely that these "paths" are referring to the movements of the Sun, Moon, Planets, and Fixed Stars of the Ptolemic Geocentric model, which was the standard model of the universe at that time.

Therefore, this is not a real "scientific miracle".

2- Source of iron

57:25 We have already sent Our messengers with clear evidences and sent down with them the Scripture and the balance that the people may maintain [their affairs] in justice. And We sent down iron, wherein is great military might and benefits for the people, and so that Allah may make evident those who support Him and His messengers unseen. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might.
Iron wasn't the first metal to be utilized in technology: copper was, and then bronze. Bronze was the first metal to be made into swords. Even before metal was utilized, stone weapons were well-used.

Furthermore, iron has formed on the Earth natively, based on some quick research.

Therefore, not only is this not a valid "scientific miracle", it's outright incorrect.

3- Life of the sun

13:2 It is Allah who erected the heavens without pillars that you [can] see; then He established Himself above the Throne and made subject the sun and the moon, each running [its course] for a specified term. He arranges [each] matter; He details the signs that you may, of the meeting with your Lord, be certain.
Saying that the sun will go for a "specified term" is not a "scientific miracle", because the exact duration of that term has not been given.

Furthermore, this verse is referring both to the sun and moon. Before talking about a "specified term", there is mention of the two "running their course". That is likely referring to their apparent movements across the sky, which do, in fact, appear to move for a specified duration.

After all, the moon doesn't really have a specified lifespan; theoretically it could go on forever.

4- Embryology

77:20-23 Did We not create you from a liquid disdained?, And We placed it in a firm lodging, For a known extent. And We determined [it], and excellent [are We] to determine.
It doesn't take a God to know that unborn children live inside a mother's womb, and that development generally takes 9 months after sex. After all, once a woman becomes pregnant, her period stops.

5- Great explosion

6:101 He is the Originator of the heavens and the earth.
That the universe (rather, the Heavens and the Earth) had an originating point is a common mythological motif, found in legends that long predate Islam.

6- Expanding of the universe

51:47 And the heaven We constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander.
The Yusuf Ali translation reads:

48. And We have spread out
The (spacious) earth:
How excellently
We do spread out!

Hardly a description of the modern scientific understanding of the expanding universe.

If this were supposed to be a scientific miracle, there should be absolutely no ambiguity in translation to future languages, leading to such a misunderstanding.

Besides, when modern scientists say that the "universe is expanding", the Earth is included in that expansion. Like I said above, I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a distinction between "Heaven" and "Earth" in the Qur'an.

7- Shape of the earth

39:5 He created the heavens and earth in truth. He wraps the night over the day and wraps the day over the night and has subjected the sun and the moon, each running [its course] for a specified term. Unquestionably, He is the Exalted in Might, the Perpetual Forgiver.
And the fact that the Earth is round was proved by Aristotle around 600 BCE, almost a thousand years before Mohammad; around 300 BCE, Eratosthenes accurately calculated the diameter of the Earth without ever leaving Alexandria using basic mathematics.

It was common knowledge. It also would have been obvious to anyone who did any amount of travel.

8- Earthquakes
99:1-2

1When the earth is shaken with its [final] earthquake

2And the earth discharges its burdens
The verse is referring to the FINAL Earthquake, when "the Earth discharges its burdens". That tells me that the second verse isn't referring at all to the way Earthquakes happen, but just one of the consequences of the Final Earthquake.

9- Describing the mountains

21:31 And We placed within the earth firmly set mountains, lest it should shift with them, and We made therein [mountain] passes [as] roads that they might be guided.
78:7 Mountains as stakes
Uh... no, that verse in the Qur'an is basically saying that the Earth doesn't move at all, because of the Mountains.

Furthermore, currently existing mountains haven't always been there. Mt. Everest, for example, didn't exist, along with all the Himalayas, until the Indian subcontinent started pushing against Asia.

So it's actually false.

10- Structure of the earth

86:12 And [by] the earth which cracks open
That verse can easily be referring to canyons, which is far more likely.

11- Relativity

… A day with your Lord is equivalent to a thousand years in the way you count. (Qur'an, 22:47)
He directs the whole affair from heaven to earth. Then it will again ascend to Him on a Day whose length is a thousand years by the way you measure. (Qur'an, 32:5)
The angels and the Spirit ascend to Him in a day whose length is fifty thousand years. (Qur'an, 70:4)
That's not how Einstein's relativity works at all.

12- Black holes

77:8 So when the stars are obliterated
When taking the rest of the passage in context, we find nothing whatsoever to do with black holes, but talking about a time when all the stars will die, which will only happen on Judgment Day.

Besides, not all stars that die become black holes. Our Sun won't.

13- Rain

15:22 And We have sent the fertilizing winds and sent down water from the sky and given you drink from it. And you are not its retainers.
Pretty sure it's easy for anyone to observe that rain and wind often come together, and that rain comes from the sky. Nothing here about rainwater being the same as ocean water.

14- The two seas

55:19-20 He released the two seas, meeting [side by side]; , Between them is a barrier [so] neither of them transgresses.
Nothing in this verse is clearly referring to the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. It's far more likely referring to a common mythological image from that time: the Waters Above (the Sky) and Waters Below (the Sea).

15- Sub-surface Waves

24:40 Or [they are] like darknesses within an unfathomable sea which is covered by waves, upon which are waves, over which are clouds - darknesses, some of them upon others. When one puts out his hand [therein], he can hardly see it. And he to whom Allah has not granted light - for him there is no light.
This is clearly a metaphor for people who don't accept Islam, not intended to be any kind of description of the ocean. Besides, "covered by waves" is clearly talking about surface waves, not sub-surface waves.

16- Humans and clay

23:12 And certainly did We create man from an extract of clay.
Humans aren't made of clay at all. Having some similar characteristics isn't enough to say that we are made of the stuff.

17- Fingertips

75:4 Yes. [We are] Able [even] to proportion his fingertips.
Proportion refers to size, and so, especially taking the previous verse in context, this is saying that Allah has total control over even the least significant part of the human body.

Nothing to do with fingerprints.

18- Honey as healing for men

16:68-69 And your Lord inspired to the bee, "Take for yourself among the mountains, houses, and among the trees and [in] that which they construct. Then eat from all the fruits and follow the ways of your Lord laid down [for you]." There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which there is healing for people. Indeed in that is a sign for a people who give thought.
People have known about the medicinal qualities of honey for thousands of years; there's an entire alcoholic drink that's just fermented honey (Meade).

19- Why pork forbidden

2:173 He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit], there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.
Actually, pork isn't inherently more dangerous than other forms of meat.

The problem with modern pork (and all meats) is that they're factory farmed, making them incredibly poisonous.

In fact, modern beef is FAR more dangerous than modern pork.

20- Ants communicating

27:18 Until, when they came upon the valley of the ants,an ant said, "O ants, enter your dwellings that you not be crushed by Solomon and his soldiers while they perceive not."
Humans having command over animal behavior is another common mythological motif. This is not in any way a description of the way ants actually communicate.

Sabour

Well I won't address some things of what you have said to keep my reply not too long.

1- String theory ( first studied in the late 1960s)

51:7 "By heaven furnished with paths;"

Second of all, the universe is ALL things, including the Earth. I'm pretty sure Islam regards Heaven and Earth as different things.

The word used in Arabic, which being referred to heavens is سماء. سماء also means sky.

See this translation 51:7 Yusuf Ali
By the Sky with (its) numerous Paths,

2- Source of iron

Iron wasn't the first metal to be utilized in technology: copper was, and then bronze. Bronze was the first metal to be made into swords. Even before metal was utilized, stone weapons were well-used.

Furthermore, iron has formed on the Earth natively, based on some quick research.

The point is that iron didn't came from earth.

Saying that the sun will go for a "specified term" is not a "scientific miracle", because the exact duration of that term has not been given.

Quraan is not a book that discuss science, but it has some scientific signs. Majority of these points can't be discussed by a person living in the seventh century.

That the universe (rather, the Heavens and the Earth) had an originating point is a common mythological motif, found in legends that long predate Islam.

So it was a fluke ?

If this were supposed to be a scientific miracle, there should be absolutely no ambiguity in translation to future languages, leading to such a misunderstanding.

Not really, Arabic is is not like any other language. There will always be a translation problem because English can't express Arabic.

The verse is referring to the FINAL Earthquake, when "the Earth discharges its burdens". That tells me that the second verse isn't referring at all to the way Earthquakes happen, but just one of the consequences of the Final Earthquake.
That is right. But, this is the way earthquakes happen, why would the final be any different? Should it happen in another way? :confused:

Uh... no, that verse in the Qur'an is basically saying that the Earth doesn't move at all, because of the Mountains.

Nope it is not.

21:31 And We placed within the earth firmly set mountains, lest it should shift with them, and We made therein [mountain] passes [as] roads that they might be guided.

That verse can easily be referring to canyons, which is far more likely.

Quraan is not a book that discusses science, but it has signs. Basically, you refer to it as another fluke.

When taking the rest of the passage in context, we find nothing whatsoever to do with black holes, but talking about a time when all the stars will die, which will only happen on Judgment Day.

It is a description of event, among which is the mentioned. "So when the stars are obliterated" means that they will lose their light.

Nothing in this verse is clearly referring to the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. It's far more likely referring to a common mythological image from that time: the Waters Above (the Sky) and Waters Below (the Sea).

So. another fluke.

This is clearly a metaphor for people who don't accept Islam, not intended to be any kind of description of the ocean. Besides, "covered by waves" is clearly talking about surface waves, not sub-surface waves.

When ones gives a metaphore, he gives something related to the real world. Like we say you are afraid like a chicken, we don't say you are afraid like a lion. This would make it not making sense.

Another fluke.

Humans aren't made of clay at all. Having some similar characteristics isn't enough to say that we are made of the stuff.

Well we can refer to this part as being ambiguous if you don't think that having the same characteristics is enough. Another fluke

Proportion refers to size, and so, especially taking the previous verse in context, this is saying that Allah has total control over even the least significant part of the human body.

Nothing to do with fingerprints.

Is there another meaning for fingertips?

Humans having command over animal behavior is another common mythological motif. This is not in any way a description of the way ants actually communicate.

Getting it off their chest: Study reveals how ants talk to each other | Mail Online

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The word used in Arabic, which being referred to heavens is سماء. سماء also means sky.

See this translation 51:7 Yusuf Ali
By the Sky with (its) numerous Paths,

Doesn't really negate my point.

The point is that iron didn't came from earth.
Technically, neither did anything else. All Things are ultimately Stardust.

But iron can still form on Earth.

Quraan is not a book that discuss science, but it has some scientific signs. Majority of these points can't be discussed by a person living in the seventh century.
...and that also doesn't address my point at all.

So it was a fluke ?
Likely Mohammad was simply drawing upon that commonly used motif.

IOW, basically, yes. No scientific miracle here.

Not really, Arabic is is not like any other language. There will always be a translation problem because English can't express Arabic.
Why'd Allah allow that to happen? Why not reveal in a language that's actually more easily translated to other languages? Heck, knowing that English would become so commonplace during the time when the world can rapidly communicate over long distances, why not reveal it in, say, Latin, which translates easily to English and hundreds of other languages, and still widely spoken at the time?

That is right. But, this is the way earthquakes happen, why would the final be any different? Should it happen in another way? :confused:
Point is, that verse has nothing to do with how Earthquakes happen.

Nope it is not.

Yes, "lest it should shift with them"; in other words, "so it[Earth] doesn't shift with them[Mountains]." In English, that sentence is literally saying that the mountains are there so the Earth won't move.

Quraan is not a book that discusses science, but it has signs. Basically, you refer to it as another fluke.
Because it is. I've still not seen any of these "signs", and all the ones people point at are, in fact, not.

It is a description of event, among which is the mentioned. "So when the stars are obliterated" means that they will lose their light.
Which later verses say will ONLY happen on Judgment Day. But stars die all the time. So, it's wrong.

So. another fluke.
Yuppers. No scientific miracle here.

When ones gives a metaphore, he gives something related to the real world. Like we say you are afraid like a chicken, we don't say you are afraid like a lion. This would make it not making sense.

Another fluke.
Oftentimes, metaphorical images also use abstract images of things that don't exist in the real world.

It's an artistic image, not a description of anything.

Well we can refer to this part as being ambiguous if you don't think that having the same characteristics is enough. Another fluke
There's no reason it should be enough. After all, if it were enough, it wouldn't be special because technically, everything would be made of clay.

Is there another meaning for fingertips?
Not that I'm aware of.

Cool. Still nothing about ant communication in that verse.

Personally, I don't even see the need for "scientific miracles". I'm able to confidently believe in the Gods, the Otherworld, Elves, and others without any such thing.

Last edited:

Draupadi

I don't think they are vague. They are clear enough to show that there are scientific signs. Some are more clear than others.

But don't jump into conclusions. I took the time to match each verse with the theory that proves it. Examine some of them. Remember this book was revealed 1400 years ago.

You might like to explain in detail what connection has God with the explosion of the universe? And what are the harms of eating pork? Please clarify. Pork meat contains excessive fat? So does domestic cows. The bacteria lodged in their bodies? So does chickens. The thing is you have to cook them well. Details will help you to achieve your target better :).

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
You might like to explain in detail what connection has God with the explosion of the universe? And what are the harms of eating pork? Please clarify. Pork meat contains excessive fat? So does domestic cows. The bacteria lodged in their bodies? So does chickens. The thing is you have to cook them well. Details will help you to achieve your target better :).

It seems to me from your questions that you don't believe in Islam but why your title is a Muslim.

It is like an atheist defending Islam and prophet Muhammad,how silly you make out of yourself.

Why not choosing your religion title as "none" and then investigate which religion you are interested in.

Draupadi

For my first point I have just asked him to give details, because many won't bother to look up other sources for the details of just one point. Secondly, I have said before I have no shame in accepting logic, be it Islamic or anti-Islamic. Maybe you didn't get me. I do cherry pick my religion because Islam and all religion I know of have their flaws. But I believe there is a God and He/She/It can be approached via any belief. Sorry I may seem hypocritical to you but this is me. Accepting the mistakes of Quran as the truth is more illogical than partially believing in a faith. It is more important for me. And please note I haven't a single word to say against OP's other points because I have accepted them as they seemed logical to me. Please, to your faith and to me mine.

Draupadi

It is like an atheist defending Islam and prophet Muhammad,how silly you make out of yourself.

If a particular religion has any good why shouldn't an atheist admit it? And Islam is about God and not Muhammad.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
For my first point I have just asked him to give details, because many won't bother to look up other sources for the details of just one point. Secondly, I have said before I have no shame in accepting logic, be it Islamic or anti-Islamic. Maybe you didn't get me. I do cherry pick my religion because Islam and all religion I know of have their flaws. But I believe there is a God and He/She/It can be approached via any belief. Sorry I may seem hypocritical to you but this is me. Accepting the mistakes of Quran as the truth is more illogical than partially believing in a faith. It is more important for me. And please note I haven't a single word to say against OP's other points because I have accepted them as they seemed logical to me. Please, to your faith and to me mine.

There is finally an Islamic voice of reason in this thread!:D