• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Classic Example of an Ethically Bankrupt Religion

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

I do not respond to personal attacks. Furthermore, there are no actual points to be made here - only unjustified attacks.

I have carefully read this thread and I don't see any attacks at all. If all you can do is refer to the OP instead of defending yourself, I'd bow out of the debate.:sleep:

kmkemp

Key= INSPIRATION
in spi ra tion [in-spuh-rey-shuhn] n
1.an inspiring or animating action or influence: I cannot write poetry without inspiration. 2.something inspired, as an idea. 3.a result of inspired activity. 4.a thing or person that inspires. 5.Theology. a.a divine influence directly and immediately exerted upon the mind or soul. b.the divine quality of the writings or words of a person so influenced. 6.the drawing of air into the lungs; inhalation. 7.the act of inspiring; quality or state of being inspired.Source: www.Dictionary.com

There does not seem to be anything about "dictation" or "perfection" in here. Men were MOVED to write. The scripture you quoted seems to fall WAY short of calling the Scriptures "perfect".

Perhaps the translation I used was not a good one. Many translations used "God-breathed" instead of inspired. Still, without quibbling over stronger forms of the same idea, we can use an appeal to logic here. Why would God allow someone to write such a statement if he were not writing through them? And if God were writing through the author, do you think that he would allow them to write something that was not from Him?

kmkemp

I have carefully read this thread and I don't see any attacks at all. If all you can do is refer to the OP instead of defending yourself, I'd bow out of the debate.:sleep:

Forgive me, but I thought an appeal to the OP would be the best defense since YOU quoted it. Furthermore, that is the topic of this thread, no?

I am truly disappointed that you seem more eager to win an internet debate than open your mind to what God has clearly said through the scriptures.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
My dear AE,

This entire line of discussion exists because he has major misconceptions about who God IS and the role that scriptures play in telling us who God is. This is the crucible of the very things you so despise. Once you realize that much of the God of the OT has been anthropomorphized into the image of man, replete with all of man's baser emotions (hate, jealousy, etc) and that the TRUE God is personified in the Love of Jesus, then you can see why he is trying to justify the two. Even the NT has these throw back moments (the withering fig tree) and I am certain that these events are distortions of the LOVE that God is.

But as you wish, I will make no further declarations within this thread.

Pete,

Can you two take this discussion to Is the bible word perfect? (infaliable? is that the right word?)

He's having a hard enough time staying on topic anyway.

A

angellous_evangellous

Forgive me, but I thought an appeal to the OP would be the best defense since YOU quoted it. Furthermore, that is the topic of this thread, no?

I am truly disappointed that you seem more eager to win an internet debate than open your mind to what God has clearly said through the scriptures.

No, I'm not eager to win a debate. Your position is completely indefensible, so I have no worries at all in "winning." If you were able to offer some more defense, it would be constructive for me to describe how little it has to do with Christianity for the benefit of others and perhaps even yourself. I merely wanted to use your comment as an example of an ethically bankrupt religion. You have been completely unable to describe how it it not such and example, and pointing to it is obviously not a description of why, and is not admissible as evidence in a debate.

A

angellous_evangellous

My dear AE,

This entire line of discussion exists because he has major misconceptions about who God IS and the role that scriptures play in telling us who God is. This is the crucible of the very things you so despise. Once you realize that much of the God of the OT has been anthropomorphized into the image of man, replete with all of man's baser emotions (hate, jealousy, etc) and that the TRUE God is personified in the Love of Jesus, then you can see why he is trying to justify the two. Even the NT has these throw back moments (the withering fig tree) and I am certain that these events are distortions of the LOVE that God is.

I'm sorry that you took it like this... I meant discussions about the inspiration of scripture only - this discussion detracts from the OP, while your many other comments do not.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Whatever happened to "to live is Christ and to die is gain"? The disciples willingly sacrificed their lives so others might turn towards Christianity. There have been numerous martyrs that have done likewise throughout our history.
There is a huge difference between martyrdom and victimization. One is heroic. The other is tragic.

kmkemp

My dear AE,

Let's suppose you are right. The OT is corrupted and not the God of the NT. I am not aware of any of the NT authors pointing this out. Why, do you suppose, that is?

sojourner

You can't pick and choose the attributes of God. Judgment is clearly one of his strong suits.
I thought mercy was God's strong suit...
A tower had fell on a group of Jews and someone had come to Jesus to ask him why it happened. He told them that they were all sinners and that we were asking the wrong question. We should be asking ourselves, 'what mercy the Lord has for letting us to go on living every day despite our sins'.
Guess I was wrong...

kmkemp

I thought mercy was God's strong suit...

Guess I was wrong...

I didn't say that mercy wasn't God's strong suit? I said that judgment was one of his strong suits. How does one statement exclude the other?

Besides that, it is tongue in cheek to say that anything is 'one of God's strong suits'. It was really just a semi-sarcastic way of saying that he has perfect judgment. He is obviously perfect in many other facets as well.

Scuba Pete

Sorry... I meant about the origin of scripture, not all of my participation. Sorry for the misrepresentation!

I'm sorry that you took it like this... I meant discussions about the inspiration of scripture only - this discussion detracts from the OP, while your many other comments do not.

sojourner

Let's suppose you are right. The OT is corrupted and not the God of the NT. I am not aware of any of the NT authors pointing this out. Why, do you suppose, that is?

Jesus, in refuting the Pharisees and Scribes, was often quoted in the NT as saying stuff like:

"You have heard it said 'an eye for an eye.' But I say to you, 'Love your enemies...'"

Now you're aware.

kmkemp

Jesus, in refuting the Pharisees and Scribes, was often quoted in the NT as saying stuff like:

"You have heard it said 'an eye for an eye.' But I say to you, 'Love your enemies...'"

Now you're aware.

That is not the same thing. Jesus came to make a new law. He never said anything about the OT scriptures being corrupted by man.

sojourner

That is not the same thing. Jesus came to make a new law. He never said anything about the OT scriptures being corrupted by man.

Jesus came to fulfill the Law.

You don't think that this statement of how to deal with enemies is correcting that in the OT Law which had become corrupted by humanity?????:rolleyes:

sojourner

This debate does have a topic...
That's the point I'm trying to make: That it's idiocy like this that corrupts and bankrupts the religion. As the bumper sticker says, "Feces occurs..." Why can we not just accept that and go on (as Jesus taught in the pillar story alluded to)? Why do we continually have to attempt to ascribe some pathetic, mawkish deific overtone to every bad thing that happens?

kmkemp

That's the point I'm trying to make: That it's idiocy like this that corrupts and bankrupts the religion. As the bumper sticker says, "Feces occurs..." Why can we not just accept that and go on (as Jesus taught in the pillar story alluded to)? Why do we continually have to attempt to ascribe some pathetic, mawkish deific overtone to every bad thing that happens?

Because scripture tells us thus. Nothing happens apart from God's will. If you don't believe that, then we really don't have anything to debate except a difference of faith. If you do believe that, then how can you say that God was not involved if he could have prevented it?

kmkemp

Because scripture tells us thus. Nothing happens apart from God's will. If you don't believe that, then we really don't have anything to debate except a difference of faith. If you do believe that, then how can you say that God was not involved if he could have prevented it?

Scuba Pete

Because scripture tells us thus. Nothing happens apart from God's will.
So where can I find this scripture? 1st Opinions? The Gospel according to kmkemp? Please, trot this scripture out so that we may all be encouraged.

Scuba Pete

Why do we continually have to attempt to ascribe some pathetic, mawkish deific overtone to every bad thing that happens?
Amen, bro So! This has been happening since the dawn of sentience all the way to the current US Administration. Never take the fall when you can blame God for your actions! It's a caricature of Flip Wilson's "Da Debil made me do it!", but instead we cry "Da Lawd made me do it!". Un-stinking-believable!