• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are All Ten Commandments Binding on WHO?

Dunemeister

Before I jump in with what I believe will refute this let me ask you this about the first passage you gave from James (be doers of the word), which "word" are you referring to? Is it the entire Bible of specific sections of it?

Such parsing would miss the point. The point is that we are not saved by (mere) faith. Actual performance of religious duties counts crucially. So the question should come down to what those religious duties amount to.

AK4

+++Ben: - I am the source of all causes to what I do. Otherwise, I would have to blame someone else, and I can't.
Ben:D

WOW, Can you speak blasphemy to the highest degree! You have made yourself like a god. You are the source of all your causes? You even take out mankind in that statement.
Dan 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High,

Dan 8:25 And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

Dan 11:36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.
Dan 11:37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.
Dan 11:38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.
Dan 11:39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain.

If God had opened your eyes to see spiritual, you wouldnt say what you say.

Ben Masada

WOW, Can you speak blasphemy to the highest degree! You have made yourself like a god. You are the source of all your causes? You even take out mankind in that statement.
Dan 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High,
+++Ben: - That's no blasphemy what I said. It's a confession that I am what God expects me to be: Responsible for my own actions as a man.

Dan 8:25 And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.
+++Ben: - You are quoting out of context

Dan 11:36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.
+++Ben: - Nothing you quote has anything to do with the subject.

Dan 11:37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.
+++Ben: - All nonsense. I mean, not the Scripture but your baseless fears.

Dan 11:38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.
+++Ben: - What are you talking about?

Dan 11:39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain.

If God had opened your eyes to see spiritual, you wouldnt say what you say.
+++Ben: - This time you caused me only a wasting of time.
Ben:confused:

AK4

+++Ben: - This time you caused me only a wasting of time.
Ben:confused:

Exactly you cant see that Gods word is spirit so you wont see it. This Paul who you dismiss and the 80% of scripture of the NT that you dismiss, you wont see it, but i see it clearly. How even the words of Jesus you probably dismiss.

Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

But oh Paul and "his cronies" must of wrote that too along with Daniel.

"I am the source of everything I do" whew you are blind (spiritually)

Dunemeister

Exactly you cant see that Gods word is spirit so you wont see it.
Are you willing to concede, just for the merest moment, that your fundagelical interpretation of scripture might possibly be slightly mistaken maybe? That perhaps others who benefit from the same Holy Spirit you laud so mightily might have good-faith interpretations that differ from yours? Or are you the magesterium that the Protestant church has been lacking since the days of Luther?

AK4

Are you willing to concede, just for the merest moment, that your fundagelical interpretation of scripture might possibly be slightly mistaken maybe? That perhaps others who benefit from the same Holy Spirit you laud so mightily might have good-faith interpretations that differ from yours? Or are you the magesterium that the Protestant church has been lacking since the days of Luther?

fundagelical interpretation? Whats that?

might possibly be slightly mistaken maybe? ----Yes i have and i questioned and questioned until God and God alone revealed this to me and i was told by Him that "no one can come to me EXCEPT the Father draws/drags him to me." I didnt do it God did it. I wasnt the source of coming to Him. If i was then i am calling God a liar and i am elevating myself to a god because i can do anything without God.

Im sorry if i sound like im boasting, i am not.

from the same Holy Spirit? ----I backed tracked, my bad. I used alot of my own words instead of the Lords. As for the same Holy spirit for many different interpretations, I will not agree with that. Thats not scripture

Eph 4:5 - one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
Im sorry i have no affiliation with luther, calvin or any of the so called theologians of their times or this time. There is one Spirit and only one Spirit of Truth. Others may seem they benefit from some spirit but do they test that spirit--

1Jo 4:1 - Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

That is my philosophy with everything.
Question everything. Question everything until you come to the Truth. Once you come to the Truth, Question that truth. This in return will only confirm that Truth

Bensada did make me question for a moment about Paul and everything i've ever read about everything (and i read countless things). When i can find one lie in some ones sayings or whatever then its over. The devil told the truth in the Garden of Eden, "you will not surely die", but his underlying thing was a lie. Man having an immortal soul.

Just the same with Bensada. He arguements have holes in them. If he cant believe all scriptures, but only pick and chose then hes not telling the full truth. I stooped to his level and didnt use anything that he considered was Pauls or his cronies writings and proved him false.

Im no judge at all. I understand the decietfulness that is in the worldin religion and beyond religion. I was once there and is still not fully out. I am on no "high horse". I refute those that contradict the words of scripture-- not interpretations of different bibles, but the original scriptures. I know i was decieved, but as my friend says-- DO/CAN THE DECIEVED KNOW THEY'RE DECIEVED? NO. Think about it.

I too could pick apart the bible for contradictions from Gen to Rev from carnal eyes, but if you can see that the words of God AND Jesus are spirit and lIfe...

Joh 6:63 -The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.

...when you can see spiritually, you will see the WHOLE BIBLE IS A PARABLE! And how everything harmonizes. EVERYTHING. Not one thing contradicts. Bad translations contradict, people contradict, but the original hebrew and greek that was inspired by God to be written does not. Do you take literally when Jesus said gouge out your eye if it causes you to sin, if so do it! Its spiritual. If you cant stop looking a females and lusting for them, turn your head, cover your eyes, kill the lust for other women and look at your wife like that, not some stranger. Cant you see it?!!

I will leave it at that. I always stay with a open mind but if you contradict the Word of God then no, its over

In Jesus,

Anthony

Last edited:

Dunemeister

fundagelical interpretation? Whats that?

Fundagelical = fundamentalist evangelical. The style is as you've described. Eschewing tradition of any sort, the fundagelical arrives at an idiosyncratic interpretation after much prayer, and then baptizes that opinion as "communicated by the Holy Spirit." They then go on to chastise any and all who disagree even slightly, saying that those who disagree have "contradicted the word of God" or that others may have benefited somewhat from some spirit or other but have failed to test that spirit.

I do not mean to impugn your faith. But you seem to me to match the above description. This is dangerous because it's the same sort of procedure adopted by folks like David Koresh (no, I'm not saying your beliefs are the same as his or that they're as dangerous as his -- only that you get them the same way). And it produces the same quickness to judgment and shrill denunciation as demonstrated by David Koresh (although, given the content of this thread, that may sound a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, admittedly). I suggest you'd benefit by reading some of those "so called theologians". But I'm sure that suggestion will be answered by a pious denunciation.....

AK4

Fundagelical = fundamentalist evangelical. The style is as you've described. Eschewing tradition of any sort, the fundagelical arrives at an idiosyncratic interpretation after much prayer, and then baptizes that opinion as "communicated by the Holy Spirit." They then go on to chastise any and all who disagree even slightly, saying that those who disagree have "contradicted the word of God" or that others may have benefited somewhat from some spirit or other but have failed to test that spirit.

I do not mean to impugn your faith. But you seem to me to match the above description. This is dangerous because it's the same sort of procedure adopted by folks like David Koresh (no, I'm not saying your beliefs are the same as his or that they're as dangerous as his -- only that you get them the same way). And it produces the same quickness to judgment and shrill denunciation as demonstrated by David Koresh (although, given the content of this thread, that may sound a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, admittedly). I suggest you'd benefit by reading some of those "so called theologians". But I'm sure that suggestion will be answered by a pious denunciation.....

Fundagelical = fundamentalist evangelical. -i thought that is what it meant i just didnt want to put words in your mouth.

Truly i do see where your point from this statement. And i may have come off like what you stated. okay for what i believe i have already gone beyond what i should have, so i do apologize to everyone.(there is a verse for that im saying, but im just dont feel like putting it)

And it produces the same quickness to judgment and shrill denunciation-- If you look at every post ive put, ive never been quick to judgement, i (but like i said in the last post) use the Word of God to speak for me by going with what God said using---

Isa 28:10 - For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
Isa 28:13 - But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

But at the same time using the WHOLE WORD OF GOD AS CONTEXT.(What is the context of His Word----LOVE, so if you knowthat Love is the context when you take precpt upon precept you never step out of context) Isnt that what God is saying right there? So i never take the anything out of context because all of Gods Word is true.

Really my style is for someone to state what they think is to be truth and i will use their own words against them to show how they have contradicted the Word. Thats my style. So basically either they are calling God a liar or I am. But i will back everything i say with scripture after scripture and without a doubt prove that i am not calling God a liar. I will do it with "spiritual eyes" or regular and prove it without a doubt. But i ask you who can prove the bible is true to an atheist. think about that.

I suggest you'd benefit by reading some of those "so called theologians". But I'm sure that suggestion will be answered by a pious denunciation----No i wont denunciate it because i have read alot of that stuff already, before i came to what is true. I fell for all that stuff from them before and hopefully, God willing, i wont fall again. I have benefited GREATLY from their lies and i thank God that i fell for it and now my eyes have been opened now.

Dunemiester, im really a real humble guy and thankful for what ive been shown by the Lord and i thank you for showing me i was starting to get out of hand so to speak.

Well i cant convince you or anyone on this forum only God can so....

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Such parsing would miss the point. The point is that we are not saved by (mere) faith. Actual performance of religious duties counts crucially. So the question should come down to what those religious duties amount to.
Well just what do you think the point is? The question was asked whether or not the 10 Commandments are still binding and to whom. You used a verse that points out that the "word" must be obeyed as a proof text that the Commandments are binding to everyone. It is definately a cogent question to ask what the term "word" applies to. If it is a certain point in Scripture then to make your point you need by offering them in order to make your assertation valid. If it refers to the whole Bible then your point is easily refutable.

It is the point of which religious duties apply after the advent of Christ that is crucial to the OP. It is nesassary to "parse' Scripture in view of the entire Bible in order to make a point. Doctrine is determined line upon line and precept upon precept, here a little there a little. If you are unwilling to do this then by all means join in a discussion where the only thing that matters is what you think. Don't let facts ruin your argument. If you are unable to do this then don't make Scriptural pronouncements with out the learning or ability to do so. It's disengenuous.

According to what is written in His good book as oppossed to what you hear from the pulpiteers, if you try to keep all 10 commandments (inluding Gods sabbath-not mans) and keep the testimony of Jesus you will be saved to the kingdom, the 1000 yr period of rest. Should you keep only those commandments which deal with your relationship to fellow man, you will attain eternal life at the great white throne judgement. Yes, even you atheist could attain eternal life. Like it or not.

Dunemeister

According to what is written in His good book as oppossed to what you hear from the pulpiteers, if you try to keep all 10 commandments (inluding Gods sabbath-not mans) and keep the testimony of Jesus you will be saved to the kingdom, the 1000 yr period of rest. Should you keep only those commandments which deal with your relationship to fellow man, you will attain eternal life at the great white throne judgement. Yes, even you atheist could attain eternal life. Like it or not.

The issue isn't how we're saved but upon whom are the ten commandments binding. So far I think the consensus is that, assuming YHWH delivered those laws to Moses, those laws are binding particularly on the Jewish people. They were, after all, delivered as part of a covenant creating process with Israel.

These specific commandments may have more universal principles as their basis (e.g., love God and neighbor), so there's a sense in which they might be binding outside the Jewish community, but the extent of that is open to question.

There's also the particular case of the Christians who view themselves as the inheritors of the Old Testament, albeit suitably modified in light of Jesus. We Christians have always had trouble making consistent sense of our unilateral appropriation of the Tanack, which has involved the parsing of the law into those laws that are binding and those that are not. But no matter who has done the parsing, the Ten Commandments usually count as binding.

AK4

+++Ben: - You are quoting out of context

+++Ben: - Nothing you quote has anything to do with the subject.

No I am not. With Your "free will" doctrine you have seated yourself on Gods Throne, in His Temple, mans heart and mind. That is what these whole verses are stating that by mans supposed "free will" they magnify themselves to be a god where they are the SOURCE of all their causes and throw out God. They worship themselves and take all the credit for everything and give none to God because "they are the SOURCE of all their causes."

Nothing i quoted is out of context.

You think your "free will" can change anything in Gods plan? "Yes you say because i am the source of all my causes i can choose anything i want without another cause or God influencing it"

Well since you are a god now then do something with your power to change something in this world that God has created. Its foolish aint it. Thats why God states this...

Jer. 13:23 "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? Then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."

Could the Isrealites do good without God? Can you do good without God? Since you are the source,then this should be no problem. And since you can do that, change your skin color.

Dunemeister

No I am not. With Your "free will" doctrine you have seated yourself on Gods Throne, in His Temple, mans heart and mind. That is what these whole verses are stating that by mans supposed "free will" they magnify themselves to be a god where they are the SOURCE of all their causes and throw out God. They worship themselves and take all the credit for everything and give none to God because "they are the SOURCE of all their causes."

You think your "free will" can change anything in Gods plan? "Yes you say because i am the source of all my causes i can choose anything i want without another cause or God influencing it"

Well since you are a god now then do something with your power to change something in this world that God has created. Its foolish aint it. Thats why God states this...

Jer. 13:23 "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? Then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil."

Could the Isrealites do good without God? Can you do good without God? Since you are the source,then this should be no problem. And since you can do that, change your skin color.

This entire rabbit trail has nothing to do with the OP. If you want to talk about free will vs. determinism, do it on another thread, please.

First of all, when God created the Sabbath, blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, there were no Jews to be found on the face of the planet earth. Man was created already of course, but the races had not been established, and were not for quite some years. The Sabbath was made for man, not Jews.

Second, just because you didn't see the commandments written until Moses, that doesn't mean that they didn't exist prior to that. Sin is transgression of the law. Without the law, there is no sin. But we see sin spoken of in Genesis 4, then we see Cain sin. So the commandments existed right from man's beginning, and again, there were no Jews yet. The commandments were made for man, not Jews.

By the way.. I see you went back and forth with the word Israelites and the word Jews, but these words are not interchangeable... There was the kingdom of Israel and the kingdom of Judah (the Jews)... two different peoples.

Some proof that the 10 commandments were intended for the rest of the world..........

Psalm 22.27 All the ends of the world Shall remember and turn to the LORD, And all the families of the nations Shall worship before You. 28 For the kingdom is the LORD’s, And He rules over the nations... (Judah and Israel are not specified,, ALL families)

Zech 14.17 (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) And it shall be that whichever of the families of the earth do not come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, on them there will be no rain. 18 If the family of Egypt will not come up and enter in, they shall have no rain; they shall receive the plague with which the LORD strikes the nations who do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. (Judah and Israel are not specified,, all nations shall come and worship,, keeping the Feast of Tabernacles which is an annual Sabbath, which makes it part of the 4th commandment. If they do not, they will be punished, whomever they are.)

Micah 4.1 (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) Now it shall come to pass in the latter days That the mountain of the LORD’s house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And peoples shall flow to it. 2 Many nations shall come and say, “ Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, And we shall walk in His paths.” For out of Zion the law shall go forth, And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 3 He shall judge between many peoples,,,

Isaiah 66. (Speaking of the time of Christ's return) 23 And it shall come to pass That from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD. 24 “ And they shall go forth and look Upon the corpses of the men Who have transgressed against Me. (Yes, the Sabbath will still be a part of God's great plan, because God does not change!)

Isaiah 56. (Salvation for the Gentiles) 1 Thus says the LORD: “ Keep justice, and do righteousness, For My salvation is about to come, And My righteousness to be revealed. 2 Blessed is the man who does this, And the son of man who lays hold on it; Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, And keeps his hand from doing any evil.” 3 Do not let the son of the foreigner Who has joined himself to the LORD Speak, saying, “ The LORD has utterly separated me from His people”; Nor let the eunuch say, “ Here I am, a dry tree.” 4 For thus says the LORD: “ To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, And choose what pleases Me, And hold fast My covenant, 5 Even to them I will give in My house And within My walls a place and a name Better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name That shall not be cut off. 6 “ Also the sons of the foreigner Who join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, And to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants— Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, And holds fast My covenant— 7 Even them I will bring to My holy mountain, And make them joyful in My house of prayer... (The Sabbath and the commandments were meant to be a identifier of God's people. So all people will eventually get the chose to be a part of the covenant, and if the so choose, that will be known by their actions, because this is how we show our love of God, by keeping his commandments. 1 John 5.2)

mik

Hello MikMik
I see youve read the bible and believe it as it is written.

Glad to make your aquaintence

Ben Masada

+++Ben: - Do you know something? You are not completely wrong about what you say
above. And I'll give you the quotations. Take a look at Psalm 82:6. All of us, children
of the Most High, I mean, those who are not robots but prize their freewill, are gods
on earth. In case you are still in doubt, I'll give Jesus himself confirming what I said.
Take a look at John 10:34. He confirms what is written in Psalms and says the same
about us that we are indeed gods on earth.

+++Ben: - That's true. But it doesn't mean I won't suffer the consequences of my actions. Therefore, I choose to behave according to God's will.

+++Ben: - Oh! Now you want to test my godly powers? I already do it everyday that I choose to do what I want.

+++Ben: - See what I mean by quoting out of context? Freewill is subject to man. Natural features are not. If I were a Surgeon Doctor I would open your skull to fix some wires inside. The problem is that I would find it empty. Gosh! How much do you need to get this into your brain? :shrug:

Please, no offense meant. :sorry1:

Ben

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
The commandments are binding on anyone who hears them.

I don't think so. I've heard them, and studied them in my youth. I think they have some good ideas in them, but they are no more binding than the golden rule.

You may choose to live by them (or not), but they are in no way "binding".

herushura

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]:shout"Hail to thee, great God, Lord of the Two Truths. I have come unto thee, my Lord, that thou mayest bring me to see thy beauty. I know thee, I know thy name, I know the names of the 42 Gods who are with thee in this broad hall of the Two Truths . . . Behold, I am come unto thee. I have brought thee truth; I have done away with sin for thee. I have not sinned against anyone. I have not mistreated people. I have not done evil instead of righteousness . . .
I have not reviled the God.
I have not laid violent hands on an orphan.
I have not done what the God abominates . . .
I have not killed; I have not turned anyone over to a killer.
I have not caused anyone's suffering . . .
I have not copulated (illicitly); I have not been unchaste.
I have not increased nor diminished the measure, I have not diminished the palm; I have not encroached upon the fields.
I have not added to the balance weights; I have not tempered with the plumb bob of the balance.
I have not taken milk from a child's mouth; I have not driven small cattle from their herbage...
I have not stopped (the flow of) water in its seasons; I have not built a dam against flowing water.
I have not quenched a fire in its time . . .
I have not kept cattle away from the God's property.
I have not blocked the God at his processions.

The Original Commandments
[/FONT]

mikmik

Hello MikMik
I see youve read the bible and believe it as it is written.

Glad to make your aquaintence

Well nice to meet another that actually believes in the Bible as well! Yes, I believe them to be completely accurate. I find that the Bible proves itself in every area, if you are willing to spend the time with it. Sometimes I read these posts and don't know what to say. The Word, just like the commandments, are meant for everyone, and meant to be a joy for everyone, and most miss out on that, and it truly saddens me. But I guess that is meant to be as well because we know that most will be deceived.

(Matt 7.14)"Narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." That hardly describes the 'complete freedom' that the majority of the world assumes it may enjoy as they sweep away those pesky old commandments. I gladly stand in the minority.

mik

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Well nice to meet another that actually believes in the Bible as well! Yes, I believe them to be completely accurate. I find that the Bible proves itself in every area, if you are willing to spend the time with it. Sometimes I read these posts and don't know what to say. The Word, just like the commandments, are meant for everyone, and meant to be a joy for everyone, and most miss out on that, and it truly saddens me. But I guess that is meant to be as well because we know that most will be deceived.

(Matt 7.14)"Narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." That hardly describes the 'complete freedom' that the majority of the world assumes it may enjoy as they sweep away those pesky old commandments. I gladly stand in the minority.

mik

While you bask in the glow of being in the minority, could you help me to understand how the Bible is completely accurate, when it actually contradicts itself (quite often)?