• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists just close minded Agnostics?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
JUST? did you say just? A whole group of people who identify themselves as Agnostic is "just a claim?"

I'm sorry Wilamena, Agnosticism is a belief system that millions of people identify with. Do you realise how many RF members here are Agnostics?

Really, it's a belief system? What are some of the beliefs involved?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
JUST? did you say just? A whole group of people who identify themselves as Agnostic is "just a claim?"

I'm sorry Willamena, Agnosticism is a belief system that millions of people identify with. Do you realise how many RF members here are Agnostics?
"Agnosticism" is not the agnostic, nor any particular agnostics. Same goes for "theism" not being theists, and "atheism" not being atheists. Different boat, different float.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

I'm sorry Willamena, Agnosticism is a belief system that millions of people identify with. Do you realise how many RF members here are Agnostics?

And if you find that shocking, atheism is even less. Atheism is just not believing one thing. Doesn't take much to make a label sometimes.

riley2112

I see it as just a claim. Christians are just people that claim there is a God. What be the problem with that?:seesaw:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Really, it's a belief system? What are some of the beliefs involved?

The belief that there is a possibility that God exists. To be an Atheist, you must not believe that there is any chance that God could be real what so ever.

You can't disbelieve there is a God and then say there is a possibility I am wrong and be an Atheist.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The belief that there is a possibility that God exists. To be an Atheist, you must not believe that there is any chance that God could be real what so ever.

You can't disbelieve there is a God and then say there is a possibility I am wrong and be an Atheist.

Sure you can.

I don't hold the belief that a god or gods exist, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Not holding belief in god is what makes me an atheist. It's that simple.

Are other people really so arrogant with their beliefs, that they think they can't be wrong? Scary.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's interesting. My beliefs, or lack of, aren't political at all, nor do I care about how many people agree with me.

I'm sure you don't.

I'm more concerned with people believing things based on a good understanding and honest use of reason, logic, and knowledge.

I'd hope everyone would be so concerned.

I'd rather have quality in my "group" rather than quantity. Of course, I do realize that the social mindset that fuels other groups, like religions, has a different perspective.

Yes, and other groups like religions get things done. While I applaud your individuality. The individual working alone can only accomplish so much. Quality is often stampeded by quantity. While I'm sure you've no need to broaden the definition for political expediency, I'd suspect it's on the mind of a few Atheists who recognize the importance of political clout.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
JUST? Did you say just? A whole group of people who identify themselves as Agnostic is "just a claim"?

I'm not sure agnostics themselves describe agnosticism as a belief system. What describes this system?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'm not sure agnostics themselves describe agnosticism as a belief system. What describes this system?

They believe by calling themselves "agnostic," that they will not draw the ire of either side - that by not picking a side, they will not be in conflict with atheists or theists. Well, guess again chumps, everybody hates you and your wishy-washy ways. Pick a side already!

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
They believe by calling themselves "agnostic," that they will not draw the ire of either side - that by not picking a side, they will not be in conflict with atheists or theists. Well, guess again chumps, everybody hates you and your wishy-washy ways. Pick a side already!

FINE. I'm a sapphist atheist Bahai Muslim Hindu.