• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists just close minded Agnostics?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The anti-theist is opposed to theism. They might be outspoken or active against it, or against a particular image of god, or they might be speaking out against a god other than their own.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
And then you say, "How do you know?" and what would they say?

At best, it is the same as theist. However, the difference is that the theist doesn't spend an exorbitant amount of time asking for evidence and then completely ignore it when making a claim about God's existance.

So apparently he's not only lying, but also being a hypocrite.

Quiddity

The anti-theist is opposed to theism. They might be outspoken or active against it, or against a particular image of god, or they might be speaking out against a god other than their own.

Right....so the question of existance doesn't even come into play.

Quiddity

At best, it is the same as theist. However, the difference is that the theist doesn't spend an exorbitant amount of time asking for evidence and then completely ignore it when making a claim about God's existance.

Correction: Not all theist.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

:D Touche.

The theist has cause of his belief. The atheist has cause for disbelief. The person who claims god does not exist has gone beyond the stance of atheism into realms of rhetoric and drama --so very often is an unwitting liar.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
OK, here is the thing. I have felt God in a church and have been blessed by God and feel his presence. I cannot prove this to you and I don't blame an Agnostic for not believing me.

The thing is, I have stated my reason for being so **** sure why I believe God is real.

I understand why a person would doubt me. What I don't understand is how someone could have as strong or stronger convictions that there is no higher power what so ever.

I have explained my strong beliefs and the reason for them, what brings an Atheist to the level of faith that I have in saying absolutely that there is no God.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
OK, here is the thing. I have felt God in a church and have been blessed by God and feel his presence. I cannot prove this to you and I don't blame an Agnostic for not believing me.

The thing is, I have stated my reason for being so **** sure why I believe God is real.

I understand why a person would doubt me. What I don't understand is how someone could have as strong or stronger convictions that there is no higher power what so ever.

I have explained my strong beliefs and the reason for them, what brings an Atheist to the level of faith that I have in saying absolutely that there is no God.
You spelled out a much more meaningful and significant distinction between the theist, the atheist and the agnostic in post #26.

Quiddity

:D Touche.

The theist has cause of his belief. The atheist has cause for disbelief. The person who claims god does not exist has gone beyond the stance of atheism into realms of rhetoric and drama --so very often is an unwitting liar.
And that's find and dandy but how many threads are spent talking about evidence of this or that? And I'm not completely objecting to it either because I hold evidence in complete high regard (more then I show at least) but there is no sense in asking for something that is patently obvious has not fulfilled the scientific methods apetite.

Quiddity

And that's find and dandy but how many threads are spent talking about evidence of this or that? And I'm not completely objecting to it either because I hold evidence in complete high regard (more then I show at least) but there is no sense in asking for something that is patently obvious has not fulfilled the scientific methods apetite.
Sorry, Willa, just ignore this, it's going off on a tangent. :eek:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I guess im only an atheist about god's i know and heard about. I'm agnostic about a deist god but lean atheist because i see no reason or need for one.

God concept vs conceptual gods, ya know?
does A god exist? does your/that/my god exist?

What does said god claim? what do people came about said god, what claims are made in said gods name.

how do these claims compare to reality? do they effect reality?

Also it depends on word play and definition.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
How about it, what is the difference between the two?

My disclaimer here is the fact that labels and definitions are fundamentally limited in their ability to be true and comprehensive representations of what they symbolise. They function similar to summary statistics like the mean of a dataset. The mean is useful and derived from the original data, but isnt a total substitute.

Atheism, i dont use much as a word, as there is too much politics and stigma associated. In any sensible perspective im a- 'a lot of things', but dont entertain a title for any of them really, and its unfortunate that atheism has been crystallised as a term because of the sheer abundance of theistic belief in the world.

In describing myself to gain clarity on these various positions, i see myself as having a fundamental agnostic outlook, in terms of being aware of that which is unknown and having humility enough to admit ignorance about those things too. It is the part of me that connects me to the value of science and the thrill and mystery of our universe to be explored.

I would also claim atheism in the sense that i do reject the claims of religious belief as being true. Or to be more accurate, the statistical likelihood is seemingly so low, that it qualifies as 'not true' for me. (Life's too short to entertain every possibility about everything).

Its not that i would claim that i know for sure that there isnt x or y god, just that with such little evidence its wrong to accept it to be true. And in light of that any framework that centres around a system whereby people can come to conclusions they hold to be true without good evidence, is fundamentally wrong, making me ‘a-that system’, in this case atheistic.

Before i completely fail to address ur question lol, i will say i think atheism and agnosticism address different things, that have a different flavour, and cant be clearly put on the same spectrum to compare. Additionally with the limitations of labels, complexities that lie behind will never be fully represented in any concise manner.

Alex

outhouse

Atheistically

the only difference between you and me is I dont attribute a deity to what I dont know.

As for me I see how the concept of deities were created though history and in no way shape or form believe yahweh exist outside of imagination.

I do strongly believe in the concept of good and the good in mens hearts, but undedrstand the weakness of he human brain