• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Playing Cards Evil ???

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Poker/face/playing/tarot cards, on the other hand, were created for a specific evil purpose...

They are not neutral objects, but were designed for a specific purpose...

Really? I'm sure that if you're making that assertion you have some proof to go along with it, yes?

Popeyesays

Well, it has been proven fairly clearly that the Tarot dervies from the regular play deck, not the other way around.

So, therefore the Joker is not the last remnants of the major Arcana in a playing deck--rather it is the card in the play deck from which all the Major Arcana derive.

Regards,
Scott

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
MaddLlama may say poker cards as we know them did not originate from tarot cards, but she is wrong..
Do you know the difference between correlation and causation?

If things 'A' and 'B' are similar, there can be a few reasons for this:

- 'A' caused 'B'
- 'B' caused 'A'
- both 'A' and 'B' were caused by 'C'
- coincidence

Now that that's established, what reason do you have to say that modern playing cards are definitely the product of Tarot cards, and that Tarot cards are not a product of modern playing cards, or (as MadLlama already suggested) that both were the product of a previous style of playing cards?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
MaddLlama may say poker cards as we know them did not originate from tarot cards, but she is wrong..

Can you explain this MaddLlama..
animal.gif
graz.gif
belg.gif

frt.jpg

Show me pictures of some playing cards from the 14th century or before, then we can talk.

As I've said several times already, Tarocchi cards were created for the game Tarocchi around 1445, and were not the first set of playing cards. Fortune telling picture cards, the deck on which most modern tarot decks are based, didn't exist until 1910 and were not in widespread usage until the 1960's and 70's.

Maybe if you did some real research, and not just looking for conspiracy sites that agree with your preconceived notions this thread wouldn't be so laughably ridiculous.

Just remember: half of what you find on the internet is total garbage, especially when it comes to history. Get thee to a library.

FFH

Veteran Member
Show me pictures of some playing cards from the 14th century or before, then we can talk.

As I've said several times already, Tarocchi cards were created for the game Tarocchi around 1445, and were not the first set of playing cards. Fortune telling picture cards, the deck on which most modern tarot decks are based, didn't exist until 1910 and were not in widespread usage until the 1960's and 70's.

Maybe if you did some real research, and not just looking for conspiracy sites that agree with your preconceived notions this thread wouldn't be so laughably ridiculous.

Just remember: half of what you find on the internet is total garbage, especially when it comes to history. Get thee to a library.
Okay whatever...

People want links, libraries can't give me links...

Those pics are legit as is the info...

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Taken from this page: International Playing-Card Society - Brief History of Playing-Cards

Very very simple history, nothing complicated about it..

You do know that the word "Tarot" referred to a set of playing cards invented in Europe first before it referred only to a fortune telling deck? It even says so on the site. You obviously haven't read it very clearly.

Some people see only what they want to.

You should go to a library anyway, you get better information there. Unless of course, you just believe anything you read. Then it doesn't matter what kind of research you do or don't do.

For instance, the tarot pack was known in Europe in the early 15th century, before the arrival of the gypsies. This rules out the proposed connection with Egypt first put forward in 1781, which forms the foundation for much of the later occult speculation. The earliest known use of Tarot packs for fortune telling was in Bologna, around 1750, using an entirely different system of meanings, and the use of ordinary packs of playing-cards for cartomancy does not date from much earlier than this.

This is right from your link. Tarot cards were used as playing cards before anyone thought to use them for fortune telling. Funny how you ignored that.

FFH

Veteran Member
Also from this page...

International Playing-Card Society - Brief History of Playing-Cards

"The study of the development of playing-cards has further been bedevilled by overmuch attention to tarot packs. To the best of our knowledge, the first packs of cards in Europe comprised 52 cards in four Italian-type suits each with three court cards (king, knight, and foot-servant), and were used for games of skill involving trick-taking, as well as for gambling games, which were often prohibited. Very soon, the idea of adding extra cards to act as permanent trumps came into being, and the tarot pack was born. At the same time a queen was interpolated between the king and the knight, so that, with the extra 22 non-suited cards, a pack of 78 cards was created. Such packs have continued to be used for their original purpose right through to the present day"

These cards, tarot and poker, were created for evil purposes.

No good has come out of the creation of these cards, only evil...

FFH

Veteran Member
Tarot cards still share common symbols

Clubs (suit)

"It is typically associated with war"

"The English word for the suit is clubs. This is probably a translation of Spanish bastos 'clubs' - which is the symbol used on old Spanish playing cards. (And still are in Tarot.)"

Wiki - Clubs (suit)

FFH

Veteran Member

Spades (suit)

"It is typically associated with death"

"In the Germanic countries was the symbol associated with the blade of a spade."

"It is often stated that the suit is named after Spanish espada sword."

"Very early associated with the point of a pike (French pique)."

Wiki - Spades (suit)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Neither Tarot nor playing cards are evil, nor were they created for evil purposes. They are tools of divination (self enlightenment) and entertainment.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
These cards, tarot and poker, were created for evil purposes.

No good has come out of the creation of these cards, only evil...
FFH,

Volkswagen was created under the Nazis as the result of an edict by Adolf Hitler. Are Jettas evil?

FFH

Veteran Member
FFH,

Volkswagen was created under the Nazis as the result of an edict by Adolf Hitler. Are Jettas evil?
No, but the Rabbit is, I owned one (77') and it gave me nothing but trouble...;)

Again that's a neutral object...no renderings, indices, symbols, etc. found on a car, TV, computer (excluding the software), bicycle, etc..

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Again that's a neutral object...no renderings, indices, symbols, etc. found on a car, TV, computer (excluding the software), bicycle, etc..
The car itself is a symbol of industrial revolution, and it renders modern civilization quite well: big, noisy, polluting and too lazy to walk to the corner store.