• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a Fan or a Follower of Jesus?

sky dancer

Yes, Jesus was an Avatar and/or a Boddhisattva preching "according to time an place" . . . teaching, by example, the first elementary Rule of Spiritual Life:
"You are not the (material) Body; you are Spirit Soul".

This "primary lesson of Spiritual Life" was taught at ta time of great existential angst.
And I was taught and understood with little more than one simple act: Jesus Died on the Cross and Rose from the dead and went to the father in heaven ---in such a way that all levels of society were privy to this affirmation that, "We are not the Body; we are Spirit Soul".

And Jesus's "Lord's Prayer" is universally appealing to basic logic.
I disagree that the Lord's Prayer is universally appealing or logical.

Some Buddhists think Jesus was a bodhisattva, and rather than rising from the dead, attained 'rainbow body', a feat that high yogis accomplish. Others don't think he historically existed.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes, that is how I see many Christians. It's been my experience. That's why it's so delightful and rare when a Christian says to me, I understand that Buddhism for you is as important as Jesus is to me as a Christian.

When I find that in a Christian, I cherish it.

Of course, everyone's faith is an important as another person's. It really isn't as rare as you would think. Did you ever read Living Buddha Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh. I read awhile ago and I really enjoyed it. I already knew that Buddhism had some similar teachings to Christianity but this man put it so eloquently.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Of course, everyone's faith is an important as another person's. It really isn't as rare as you would think. Did you ever read Living Buddha Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh. I read awhile ago and I really enjoyed it. I already knew that Buddhism had some similar teachings to Christianity but this man put it so eloquently.

no. i would say more often than not "christians" proclaim their faith to be superior...
where else does this stereo type come from?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Very, very few people fit any stereotype. :)

that is interesting indeed...

would pat robertson, oral roberts, james dobson, jerry falwell or ted hagard fit the 'stereo type'...lets not over look those who are their followers...
i would guess it's a considerable portion of the US population...maybe i'm wrong... :shrug:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
that is interesting indeed...

would pat robertson, oral roberts, james dobson, jerry falwell or ted hagard fit the 'stereo type'...lets not over look those who are their followers...
i would guess it's a considerable portion of the US population...maybe i'm wrong... :shrug:

That's only 4 people. :facepalm:

EDIT: Surely you're not comparing everyday Christians to televangelists. Maybe I can compare all the cooks in the world to Paula Dean, Emeril, and Rachael Ray.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
That's only 4 people. :facepalm:

EDIT: Surely you're not comparing everyday Christians to televangelists. Maybe I can compare all the cooks in the world to Paula Dean, Emeril, and Rachael Ray.

well those are/were very influential people...
read my post again...

lets not over look those who are their followers...
i would guess it's a considerable portion of the US population

waitasec

Veteran Member

hey if these amature cooks were to follow thier recipies to a tee then yeah...
;)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Most of us read the Bible, not books written by Pat Robertson or whoever. I don't follow the commands of Oral Roberts but the commands of Jesus. ;):D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
i disagree, some do as you say...
like i said...people like you are exceptional

Well, thank you.

I don't follow Mr. Robertson, mainly because he got involved in politics when we are not really supposed to (EDIT: Preachers aren't suppose to). Most of those other televangelists seem to care more about money than God- which would be good for people who worship money, I suppose. I found out that Joel Osteen charges money for people to come to his crusades EDIT: and it was about $30 and not just some fee to cover expenses!!!

waitasec

Veteran Member
Well, thank you.

I don't follow Mr. Robertson, mainly because he got involved in politics when we are not really supposed to (EDIT: Preachers aren't suppose to). Most of those other televangelists seem to care more about money than God- which would be good for people who worship money, I suppose. I found out that Joel Osteen charges money for people to come to his crusades EDIT: and it was about $30 and not just some fee to cover expenses!!!

:eek: now i didn't even know that....you'd think i would ;)
what a scum bag...

if i'm not mistaken christine, you live in so cal...san diego/or in OC...
california in general is a very open minded place, mostly because of the fact there are more cultures that are mixed up here...california is not a good representation of the US, do you agree?
however one will likely meet the 'stereo type' in the bible belt or in small towns ... i don't think i am being presumptuous...having witnessed it 1st hand in my travels...and confirmed with stories my husband and friends that tell me the same type of stories when touring the south and mid west...
and it's not just in the US...small towns in general anywhere in the world have this mentality of getting into peoples business and such...as i'm sure you have seen in your travels...

Sententia

Once again, it is an ideal to live by and strive for. No one can follow it perfectly. Anyone and everyone is your neighbour. Once again, it's an ideal. We should try to live by it, but none of us are perfect. These are all ideals that will lead us to perfection.

For example, you see a homeless man on the street. In an act of love, you then decide to let them stay with you for a couple of nights or give them a fairly large sum of money. While you haven't equally divided your wealth or tried to make the man as wealthy as you are, you are still following the ideals by which Jesus laid down.

I think thats a great explanation but seems also to be a rationalization. I do not see christians trying to do this. Maybe they put $10 in the collection plate or pay a tithe to the church but they are clearly not trying to love everyone equally. There is not so much as an attempt so far as I can tell. They have houses, cars, jobs, families and their own personal concerns. Church is fun to talk about and debate people with but they are not giving up everything in some attempt to love everyone equally. I just don't see it happening.

I'm not saying its my expectation. But your explanation is meh... Thats what jesus wants us to try for... if you can do it and he knows you can't... so don't worry... make some efforts here and there when you can which seems a far cry from following his most important commandments.

When I was a witness we didn't have birthday parties because that would be putting ourselves ahead of god if only for an hour or a day. (Actually thats a short form version of the encyclopedia of reasons I could list.)

The point being trying to love our neighbors as ourselves is of tantamount importance. The only thing more important is loving god.

How does buying a car serve that purpose compared with say walking or taking the bus/train when needed? How does buying a house for the exclusive and private use of your personal family serve your neighbors well?

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing these things but I think there is a particular cognitive dissonance that christians buy into. Well if it feels too awkward and too odd then jesus doesnt expect you to do it and will forgive you.

And of course he will. He died for you. For everyone. (Even his fans)

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Anyone and everyone is your neighbour.

not according to jesus and his reference to leviticus 19...
it starts our with god saying...
vs. 2 “Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: ‘Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.

neighbor in this context was meant for the jews who were apart of the assembly of israel...not anyone and or everyone...

as for jesus...matthew 10
vs 6 “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7 As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give."

freely give to the lost sheep of israel...not anyone or everyone.

Twig pentagram

High Priest

sky dancer

I wish everyone believed that, but they don't.

Sultan Of Swing

not according to jesus and his reference to leviticus 19...
it starts our with god saying...
vs. 2 “Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: ‘Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.

neighbor in this context was meant for the jews who were apart of the assembly of israel...not anyone and or everyone...

as for jesus...matthew 10
vs 6 “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. 7 As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give."

freely give to the lost sheep of israel...not anyone or everyone.
No, these verses show the specific missions that Jesus was given and had to give to His disciples at the time. The people of Israel were first on the agenda, because they were the "lost sheep", and God's chosen people, and should be preached to first. There were also practical reasons; who knew what kind of carnage may occur if the disciples preached to the Gentiles first, and the Jews found out that these disciples were preaching to all their neighbours "false" versions of their own faith? They wouldn't be happy, and would in future be more resilient against any conversion attempts. Thus, it would be safer and better to preach to the Jews first.

Jesus never directly specified who someone's neighbour was, and if His message was not for the Gentiles he would have made it clear.

Some say that Jesus "realised" sometime in his ministry that His message was for the Gentiles as well. I have doubts about that, but here are the Bible verses that support this argument.

Matthew 15:21-28
21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.” 23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”
24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”
25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.
26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”
28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.

It shows that God had specified Jesus to be sent to the Israelites and preach among them, and His testing of the Canaanite woman shows that while Jesus was sent to the Jews, His entire teachings were for everyone, and praises the Canaanite woman's faith.

Now, elsewhere in the Bible, it also states clearly that the Message is for the Gentiles. Jesus was sent by God to save the Jews and begin preaching the new message of salvation. His disciples are then commanded to carry on his work, but this time to the Gentiles as well:

Acts 13:47 "The Lord has commanded us, saying, I have set you to be a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the uttermost parts of the earth"

Rom. 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

Everyone is our neighbour. There is no difference between them, and the Bible never specifies who is our neighbour, so you cannot come up with such an assumption that it does.