• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You a Racist?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Bring the Confederate flag and make sure you whistle Dixie! Ain't Nascar without the stars and bars!

That should make me really racist.

And bring plenty of beer and pork rinds. I wouldn't know anything about that personally, but some race car fans I saw at the Texas Motor Speedway were drinking beer and eating pork rinds. Yes, a few had a Confederate flag on their truck. I'm sorry to say that I saw MAGA and Let's Go Brandon stickers on their trucks too.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I read a lot of Mark twain. The n word was second nature but that was the dialog of that era.

Yes, I know it was. After the pastor of the local Baptist Church found out that I have Indian blood, he took me aside and told me that I shouldn't brag about it because it was a shameful thing to be an Indian. I was 13 at the time, and I listened to this "man of God" explain to me that my Indian blood is dirty and how the entire worth of Indians could be found at the bottom of a whiskey bottle. He finished his racist tirade by telling me that I couldn't be saved by the grace of God if I embraced my Indian blood because all the heathen Indians were destined for hellfire. He advised me to repent before God and never acknowledge my Indian blood again.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If so, what qualifies you as one? If not, what do you feel disqualifies you? Bonus question: What do you think qualifies someone else as a racist or non-racist?

No, I'm not racist. I'm a secular humanist, and believe in the empowerment of everybody through personal development and equal opportunity. I want people of all colors to have the same opportunities I did. I want them happy, self-confident, well educated, and feeling like a welcome and productive member of society capable of achieving their goals.

Regarding others, I just read this on the Internet:

"racism is in control of our schools, telling black students they are oppressed by white students, how can we ever heal as a country with this crap being taught. thank goodness for the pandemic at least making parents realize this with their at home schooling"

This guy thinks those who want to teach America's racial history in American public schools are the racists and the cause of racial division and unrest. I'm sure he would deny being a racist, but what else beside racism would motivate such a comment?

You've probably seen comments calling Obama the source of increasing racial tension during his presidency. I would agree if by source we meant being black in a country where that frightens so many.

Heyo

Veteran Member
"Your responses suggested a slight automatic preference for African Americans over European Americans."

I thought the test was stupid, but what do I know.
I have a slight automatic preference for whites over blacks.

The test is "stupid" in that it was criticised for not being very scientific. One shouldn't take it too serious. The only thing that it's good for is to show that we do have unconscious biases. Being aware of that helps to overcome those biases.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No, I'm not racist. I'm a secular humanist, and believe in the empowerment of everybody through personal development and equal opportunity. I want people of all colors to have the same opportunities I did. I want them happy, self-confident, well educated, and feeling like a welcome and productive member of society capable of achieving their goals.

Regarding others, I just read this on the Internet:

"racism is in control of our schools, telling black students they are oppressed by white students, how can we ever heal as a country with this crap being taught. thank goodness for the pandemic at least making parents realize this with their at home schooling"

This guy thinks those who want to teach America's racial history in American public schools are the racists and the cause of racial division and unrest. I'm sure he would deny being a racist, but what else beside racism would motivate such a comment?

You've probably seen comments calling Obama the source of increasing racial tension during his presidency. I would agree if by source we meant being black in a country where that frightens so many.

I don't think teaching Black student are oppressed by White students is the same as teaching the history of racial injustice. Hopefully this was not what was being taught and the person simply misunderstood.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I have a slight automatic preference for whites over blacks.

The test is "stupid" in that it was criticised for not being very scientific. One shouldn't take it too serious. The only thing that it's good for is to show that we do have unconscious biases. Being aware of that helps to overcome those biases.
Oh ok. I hadn't read any criticism.

Erebus

I've yet to encounter a race that I didn't automatically hate.

Misanthropy is ultimately egalitarian in that regard.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Oh ok. I hadn't read any criticism.
"Popularity and criticism

Not everyone agrees with the IAT. Some scientists say the test shouldn’t be taken as an absolute predictor of behavior, whilst others doubt its accuracy. “Russell Fazio, PhD, a social psychologist at Ohio State University, describes the IAT as ‘noisy’, saying ‘There’s no way to determine whether it’s measuring unconscious attitudes or simply associations picked up from the environment,” - from the linked page

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If so, what qualifies you as one?
I am shy, and that is the primary cause of racism.

If not, what do you feel disqualifies you?
I don't believe that there are different human races. We are too similar to be different races. In 1000 years we will probably reblend and rediversify.

Bonus question: What do you think qualifies someone else as a racist or non-racist?
A racist encourages the belief that there are different races of humans which must compete, like tribes compete or like nations compete; but a racist believes there are genetic differences which are significant enough to justify this.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Regarding others, I just read this on the Internet: "racism is in control of our schools, telling black students they are oppressed by white students, how can we ever heal as a country with this crap being taught. thank goodness for the pandemic at least making parents realize this with their at home schooling" This guy thinks those who want to teach America's racial history in American public schools are the racists and the cause of racial division and unrest. I'm sure he would deny being a racist, but what else beside racism would motivate such a comment?

I don't think teaching Black student are oppressed by White students is the same as teaching the history of racial injustice.

Agreed. He is mistaken, but also racist, and would likely deny it. Being ignorant of facts doesn't change that. To people like him, racial problems in America are caused by bleeding heart liberals inciting people of color to hate white people. To him, BLM is racism, not a reaction to racism. To him, taking a knee is racism, not a reaction to racism.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a racist. I took the test.

"Your responses suggested a slight automatic preference for African Americans over European Americans."

I thought the test was stupid, but what do I know.

I'm racist, too, with a preference for Black folks. I kinda already suspected that, though... my husband caught it shortly after we got married. I was pretty shy back then, but at a neighborhood grill out, I got uncharacteristically chatty, friendly, and open. He said he'd never seen me so extroverted. I told my mom about it, and the first thing she asked was "were the people there Black or white?" I told her they were mostly Black, and she said I'd always been like that, and that she'd just assumed it came from growing up with a Black best friend.

F1fan

Veteran Member
If so, what qualifies you as one?

If not, what do you feel disqualifies you?

Bonus question: What do you think qualifies someone else as a racist or non-racist?
This is not a comfortable question. As a bleeding heart liberal that advocates for equality and equal opportunity I have been aware a few times in my life that my response to what minorities have done may indicate a racist attitude. I think I have been influenced by more deliberate racists in my nation through political rhetoric to some degree, and I don't like it. I think some of these deep rooted learned attitudes from social experience are very difficult to eliminate from the subconscious. How we think and behave consciously is more obvious to the world.

As the judiciary committee votes on the nomination on Ketanji Brown Jackson it is concerning that all Republicans are denying it. Here's an opportunity for them to support an extremely well qualified minority for the SC but for some reason will not. I think this sends a very negative message to racists in the USA and among conservatives whose attitudes have a history of a troubled acceptance of minorities.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As the judiciary committee votes on the nomination on Ketanji Brown Jackson it is concerning that all Republicans are denying it. Here's an opportunity for them to support an extremely well qualified minority for the SC but for some reason will not. I think this sends a very negative message to racists in the USA and among conservatives whose attitudes have a history of a troubled acceptance of minorities.
Perhaps it's racist to presume they oppose her for her
race, rather than her being appointed by a Democrat.

F1fan

Veteran Member
As a side note, if no one has seen the movie Best of Enemies I recommend it. It's on Netflix. It is based on a true story of a Klan leader being assigned to a local committee deciding whether to integrate public schools. He ends up clashing with a female civil rights advocate. In time these two actually ended up as friends and traveling around the South advocating for school integration. Great cast, great story. Excellent climactic scene.

For those who don't have Netflix or just want see the vote scene:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This is not a comfortable question. As a bleeding heart liberal that advocates for equality and equal opportunity I have been aware a few times in my life that my response to what minorities have done may indicate a racist attitude. I think I have been influenced by more deliberate racists in my nation through political rhetoric to some degree, and I don't like it. I think some of these deep rooted learned attitudes from social experience are very difficult to eliminate from the subconscious. How we think and behave consciously is more obvious to the world.

We do have Clarence Thomas to show that skin color is not a barrier for a Justice to get a republican vote. We have Amy Coney Barrett to show that gender is not a barrier to getting a republican vote.

In light of this it would seem a difficult argument to support.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Perhaps it's racist to presume they oppose her for her
race, rather than her being appointed by a Democrat.
Either way it's pretty indefensible. Their job is to scrutinize and advise, and the Republicans all admit she's qualified. So, to my mind they violated their oath of office with this protest, regardless if it is social, political, or a bit of both.

F1fan

Veteran Member
We do have Clarence Thomas to show that skin color is not a barrier for a Justice to get a republican vote. We have Amy Coney Barrett to show that gender is not a barrier to getting a republican vote.

In light of this it would seem a difficult argument to support.
A vastly different time in politics. Reagan nominated RBG. Many Republicans voted to confirm her. Could you see a Republican president doing that today? Not for their life. Republicanism has way too radical.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
And bring plenty of beer and pork rinds.

I wouldn't know anything about that, but some race car fans I've seen at the Texas Motor Speedway were drinking beer and eating pork rinds. And yes, a few had a Confederate flag on their truck. I'm sorry to say that I also saw MAGA and Let's Go Brandon bumper stickers on their trucks too.
Now I'm wondering what happened to our resident rebel on RF? Firrgot his name.. His avatar was a Confederate flag.

esmith

Veteran Member
Well, I guess using the Democrats yard stick for determining if you are racist, I guess I'm a racist (along with a couple of other woke definitions).
Andi if you cosider political parties as a race....oh yeah.