• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you sad that I am going to hell, or have you pretty much come to terms with it?

dust1n

Zindīq
Well, I shouldn't unmask and be mean to you on your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Yah, be nice! And thank you! :D

But let me make my point without getting nasty or mean. We are now four pages into the thread and still not a single reply from someone that accepts the premise of your question.

My point is that fundamentalist-bashing on RF doesn't make much sense because there are not many fundamentalist contributors. I'm always itchy for debate and wish so many OP's weren't just 'look how stupid and narrow fundamentalists are..hahaha'.

One person who believed in hell answered my question, and Christine gave some of here experiences with people who believe in hell.

I don't wanna bash Christians, and sure, it may not be the most interesting or best for a thread I've ever had, but... it happened so. :) But if one wants higher standards for threads, who is one gonna trust to do what they can other than oneself? :angel2:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
That's exactly what I said to God when reading his books... "You're such a Nazi!"

God doesn't write books, people do. And I'm a theist.

God is not to be held against what every writer says the He says.

That is one of the traps atheists seem to like to fall into as it gives them good ammunition.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yah, be nice! And thank you! :D

One person who believed in hell answered my question, and Christine gave some of here experiences with people who believe in hell.

I don't wanna bash Christians, and sure, it may not be the most interesting or best for a thread I've ever had, but... it happened so. :) But if one wants higher standards for threads, who is one gonna trust to do what they can other than oneself? :angel2:

I believe it to be a legitimate question. I probably would have worded it differently, but it isn't an offensive question by any means- it is an honest question, anyway.

dust1n

Zindīq
I believe it to be a legitimate question. I probably would have worded it differently, but it isn't an offensive question by any means- it is an honest question, anyway.

Well, yeah, you gotta entice the audience with a booming headline if you want to attract the big dogs. :wolf:

Wherenextcolumbus

Well, you can rest somewhat assured that if there is a hell I'll be going to it. I'm basically openly blasphemous against every religion. I mean, people who openly don't believe in something would go to hell. There isn't much speculation in that really...

See you on the other side :devil:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm a goner too, even though I believe in something. I have had people in Real life be legitimately concerned for my destiny. I tried to comfort them, but shucks its hard.

Aquitaine

Het Dust1n don't worry about it, from the looks of it I'm going to multiple different Hells too - I'll meet you at the Flaming Poker Cafe! :p

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Alright, since its on the table...

If I DO find myself in Hell...

I will assume I'm there to show everyone how to leave. And I'll set about trying to do that. I've got eternity to figure it out. I assume some of you will join me in my efforts sooner or later. Impossible doesn't matter at that point anyway. God can do his best to kill my hope if that's his goal. But I'm pretty sure I can beat God if I have eternity to do it in. You just bet I can't. What are the odds over eternity? Looks like 100% to me.

dust1n

Zindīq
Alright, since its on the table...

If I DO find myself in Hell...

I will assume I'm there to show everyone how to leave. And I'll set about trying to do that. I've got eternity to figure it out. I assume some of you will join me in my efforts sooner or later. Impossible doesn't matter at that point anyway. God can do his best to kill my hope if that's his goal. But I'm pretty sure I can beat God if I have eternity to do it in. You just bet I can't. What are the odds over eternity? Looks like 100% to me.

:D

Escape from Hell is a fantasy novel written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. It is a sequel to Inferno, the 1976 Hugo Award- and Nebula Award-nominated book by the same authors. It was released on February 17, 2009.[1]

The novel continues the story of deceased science fiction writer Allen Carpenter (who spelled his name "Carpentier" on his novels) in his quest to help other damned souls in Hell. Like the first book, “Escape from Hell” extensively references Dante's Inferno. Jerry Pournelle, one of the book's co-authors, described the book as "Dante meets Vatican II."[2]
Plot

Following events in the first novel, in which Carpenter learned that it is possible to leave Hell, Carpenter wants to help others in the way his benefactor helped him. Carpenter meets and travels through all the circles of the Hell described by Dante. He is accompanied in his travels by Sylvia Plath (whom he rescues from the Wood of the Suicides by burning her tree, causing her physical body to reform itself), attempting to understand the purpose of Hell and free many of the damned. Carpenter discovers that, apparently because he returned to Hell of his own free will to help others, he now possesses powers and abilities such as his mentor, Benito, also displayed.

In his travels, Carpenter meets many well-known individuals deceased as of 2009. In addition to Plath, some of the notables encountered by Carpenter include:

In the end, and partly as the consequence of some unusual changes to Hell itself, Carpenter not so much escapes as that he is shown the door for being a troublemaker.

Escape from Hell (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I find it incredibly callous that anyone would say "abort our children" as above as if that is such a good thing one would want to purposely do even for eternity. It just reveals to me the truth of Jesus' words that in the last days the love of many would grow cold. How much more cold-hearted can people become than to consider that aborting a child's life is a good or fun thing? I believe this kind of thinking and lack of feeling is inspired by Satan the destroyer of life, rooted in deception and darkness no less cruel than what occurred in Nazis Germany.

A fetus doesn't possess the qualities that define personhood. They're not sapient, conscious, self-aware, etc. It's no more cold-hearted than washing your hands with anti-bacterial soap.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
:D

Escape from Hell is a fantasy novel written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. It is a sequel to Inferno, the 1976 Hugo Award- and Nebula Award-nominated book by the same authors. It was released on February 17, 2009.[1]

The novel continues the story of deceased science fiction writer Allen Carpenter (who spelled his name "Carpentier" on his novels) in his quest to help other damned souls in Hell. Like the first book, “Escape from Hell” extensively references Dante's Inferno. Jerry Pournelle, one of the book's co-authors, described the book as "Dante meets Vatican II."[2]
Plot

Following events in the first novel, in which Carpenter learned that it is possible to leave Hell, Carpenter wants to help others in the way his benefactor helped him. Carpenter meets and travels through all the circles of the Hell described by Dante. He is accompanied in his travels by Sylvia Plath (whom he rescues from the Wood of the Suicides by burning her tree, causing her physical body to reform itself), attempting to understand the purpose of Hell and free many of the damned. Carpenter discovers that, apparently because he returned to Hell of his own free will to help others, he now possesses powers and abilities such as his mentor, Benito, also displayed.

In his travels, Carpenter meets many well-known individuals deceased as of 2009. In addition to Plath, some of the notables encountered by Carpenter include:

In the end, and partly as the consequence of some unusual changes to Hell itself, Carpenter not so much escapes as that he is shown the door for being a troublemaker.

Escape from Hell (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL that's awesome. I expect the same treatment. To be quite honest I would behave the same way in Heaven if it turned out to be the fluffy-cloud harp-playing blissful madness that I envision. Show me the door or face my wrath. I have eternity to figure out how to make that wrath worth something.

I'll definitely have to pick that one up.

dust1n

Zindīq
LOL that's awesome. I expect the same treatment. To be quite honest I would behave the same way in Heaven if it turned out to be the fluffy-cloud harp-playing blissful madness that I envision. Show me the door or face my wrath. I have eternity to figure out how to make that wrath worth something.

I'll definitely have to pick that one up.

It was pretty cool, but I'm not going to lie... the ending was kinda weak.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Nobody here is going to (at least admittedly) say that they believe you are going to hell, so this thread is almost absurd (in no offense of course, the concept is good, but nobody will be open about that belief)

idea

Question Everything
Does it bother anyone? If you know someone you think is going to hell, does it eat away at you, or do you learn to just learn not everyone is going to realize the 'truth' or whatnot? Are you supposed to feel bad for those people, or happy they are getting justice or something?

I have faith that eventually everyone will come to know God, and just think some are slower at figuring it out than others :)

dust1n

Zindīq
Nobody here is going to (at least admittedly) say that they believe you are going to hell, so this thread is almost absurd (in no offense of course, the concept is good, but nobody will be open about that belief)

The point of the thread isn't to get someone to say that they believe I am going to hell.

The point of the thread is kinda obvious from the OP:

If you know someone you think is going to hell, does it eat away at you, or do you learn to just learn not everyone is going to realize the 'truth' or whatnot? Are you supposed to feel bad for those people, or happy they are getting justice or something?

As to how one's religion consults them on how to feel about people going to hell (or some equivalent of it).

And one person so far has opened up their beliefs about it... so... what's the problem?

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

I thought I was pretty open about it. I'll clarify now just to make it clear and clarified that I am not in any way ashamed of my beliefs in this regard.

What I believe about the afterlife is that the afterlife will be exactly as each one of you imagine it will be without exception. You, me, your next door neighbor and everyone else on this planet gets (and more importantly deserves) the exact afterlife that they imagine themselves receiving.

Therefore, anyone who believes that Hell ought to be a part of the afterlife and additionally believes that there is a set standard for who ends up there should naturally be subject to their own rules. I assume this lands a few people in hot water. Pun very much intended.

RGA1459

I do not believe that bad people go to hell and good people go to heaven. Rather, I believe that bad people create their own hell in this life through egotism or hatred or ignorance, what have you. And the ones who carry that spirit of love, through wisdom and a desire to understand (that spirit being the spirit of Christ), live and manifest their own heaven. Life is what you make it, right?