• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you sure you are an Atheist?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t really understand exactly what you mean with the “spiritual as concrete dust”, but sure, I can agree with it if you like. Like I mentioned before <<you may believe in anything you wish, the One is not obligated in keeping a straight face>> (Zen teaching) ;)

*laughs*
You're humouring me already?! It usually takes weeks for my sense of humour to drive people to that!! ;)

I meant only that from my point of view 'concrete dust' has no spirituality (and I'm using spirituality in a literal sense here). I'm the same.
From your point of view, concrete dust is as much part of God as anything else, right? And again...I'm the same.

:eek: An atheist with no passion for science? :confused:

They should revoke your card and then place you under the same category with Bigfoot and the Lochnes monster! :p

I have a mild interest in science, but I prefer basketball and history. I suspect many atheists are similar, but perhaps not so much those found hanging around religious message boards...lol

“Quantum mechanics for dummies” is exactly what you need :)

No joke! There is in fact such a video on youtube! Look it up.

And you should also look up this one: “Quantum Physics: Double Slit Experiment & Consciousness”, also on youtube. Very simple, only 6:34 minutes long, very interesting. ;)

I will at some point. At the moment I'm reduced to responding to posts on the train whilst travelling to work. Suffice to say typing takes a long time on a phone...lol
Work is a little on top of me at the moment, from a workload point of view.

Ahh... a psychologist... Now I get it... :rolleyes:

Nope. A psych major at college. I have a couple of teaching degrees, actually, but these days I work as a solution architect on the ERP industry (computing, but not a programmer/tech)

You do realize that we are saying the same thing in other words... right? o_O

Yeah. But I didn't want to break it to you, since I thought you might not like finding out you're an atheist...
;)

Sure! Just give me a myth to start with :)

Hmm...the judgement of Paris? I should start a new thread though. If I get a lunch break today I'll do it then.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No, my response is that Allah created everyone with a free will they choose to listen to the message or not.

:)

Allah is All-Merciful and Forgiving.

Yeah, but that's a soundbyte. A rote response. If all can choose their own path then the future is open to variety.

Allah knew Muhammad was the final prophet.

How do you reconcile those concepts?

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”
Yeah, but that's a soundbyte. A rote response. If all can choose their own path then the future is open to variety.

Allah knew Muhammad was the final prophet.

How do you reconcile those concepts?
Yes, but Allah said Truth will prevail from falsehood.

He gave us a free will as a blessing.

If we had no free will, we would all be Muslims and that would not really be good.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but Allah said Truth will prevail from falsehood.

He gave us a free will as a blessing.

If we had no free will, we would all be Muslims and that would not really be good.

That's all fine, but doesn't tell me how Muhammad could be designated final prophet, considering both his and everyone else's free will.

Of course Allah/Gabriel could have told him that based on a guess I suppose. But that doesn't seem your opinion. So...how?

Is there, perhaps,articles which explore this, etc?
It appears a dichotomy.

Jabar

That's all fine, but doesn't tell me how Muhammad could be designated final prophet, considering both his and everyone else's free will.

Of course Allah/Gabriel could have told him that based on a guess I suppose. But that doesn't seem your opinion. So...how?

Is there, perhaps,articles which explore this, etc?
It appears a dichotomy.
I am confused what you are trying to prove.

Anyhow, Muhammad is the final prophet for the mankind. He used his free will at the top level.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I am confused what you are trying to prove.

Anyhow, Muhammad is the final prophet for the mankind. He used his free will at the top level.

Maybe if you just sleep on it, it may make more sense. I am not trying to prove anything.
Rather, I am asking how a statement indicating that Muhammad will be the final prophet is possible.
How can anyone, even Allah, know how Muhammad would choose, and how each subsequent listener to the message would choose,etc? Each and every one had free will. All choices were possible.

Jabar

Maybe if you just sleep on it, it may make more sense. I am not trying to prove anything.
Rather, I am asking how a statement indicating that Muhammad will be the final prophet is possible.
How can anyone, even Allah, know how Muhammad would choose, and how each subsequent listener to the message would choose,etc? Each and every one had free will. All choices were possible.
Allah is All-Knowing that is why, he knows the future and past.

Brother do you know how Great Allah is?

Agondonter

It does not, Allah is All-Merciful and Forgiving.
Allah may be All-Merciful and Forgiving, but it seems pretty clear Islam is not. Islam is idolatry inasmuch as it believes the Koran is the literal word of Allah or inasmuch it is offended by me using the Koran as kindling or flushing it down a toilet.

Jabar

Allah may be All-Merciful and Forgiving, but it seems pretty clear Islam is not. Islam is idolatry inasmuch as it believes the Koran is the literal word of Allah or inasmuch it is offended by me using the Koran as kindling or flushing it down a toilet.
I disagree.

If you mean Islam like the community which you probably are talking about then i still object.

There are blacksheeps in every community.

Some are bad, some are good.

Because it is what we believe just as others believe there scripture is divine.

Agondonter

I disagree.

If you mean Islam like the community which you probably are talking about then i still object.

There are blacksheeps in every community.

Some are bad, some are good.

Because it is what we believe just as others believe there scripture is divine.
You can disagree, but that doesn't obviate the obvious.

Allah isn't much of a god if Allah needs Muslims to defend the Koran.

Nefelie

These kinds of questions are becoming an irritant to me do the the asker constantly wishing to convolute "faith" in unseen, supernatural forces ("faith" is evidence of thingsnot seen, according to the Bible) with "faith" or "belief" etc. based on repeated, testable, measurable results and repeated patterns of our environment.
I’m also very frustrated when people base everything on the Bible, when I haven’t even mentioned the Bible. Why does everything have to relate with the Bible and the biblical sense? So frustrating…

You just said it yourself:

faith fāTH/ noun noun:faith

1. complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

Forget the rest, will ya??

I have "complete confidence" that the earth will continue to spin on its axis …
Faith = complete confidence… potatos potatoes :p

~~~

*laughs* You're humouring me already?! It usually takes weeks for my sense of humour to drive people to that!!

I’m a quick study :cool:

I meant only that from my point of view 'concrete dust' has no spirituality (and I'm using spirituality in a literal sense here). I'm the same.
From your point of view, concrete dust is as much part of God as anything else, right? And again...I'm the same.

OK, but you really and honestly believe that you have no spirituality? No spirit?

Spirit (ˈspɪrɪt) n = the force or principle of life that animates the body of living things OR temperament or disposition: truculent in spirit. OR liveliness; mettle OR the fundamental, emotional, and activating principle of a person OR a sense of loyalty or dedication: team spirit. OR state of mind or mood; attitude: he did it in the wrong spirit. OR (plural) an emotional state, esp with regard to exaltation or dejection: in high spirits. OR a person characterized by some activity, quality, or disposition: a leading spirit of the movement.

...None of the above? Really? …come on :p

Yeah. But I didn't want to break it to you, since I thought you might not like finding out you're an atheist...

Ha-ha... Cute :p

Hmm...the judgement of Paris? I should start a new thread though. If I get a lunch break today I'll do it then.

Oh, come on… that’s an easy one. No thread needed for that: men will always go for beauty in woman instead of smarts. That’s it. End of story. Give me a real challenge :cool:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
:cool:
:p

I’m a quick study :cool:

Yeah.. or the other mods have been telling stories about me again...lol

OK, but you really and honestly believe that you have no spirituality? No spirit?

Spirit (ˈspɪrɪt) n = the force or principle of life that animates the body of living things OR temperament or disposition: truculent in spirit. OR liveliness; mettle OR the fundamental, emotional, and activating principle of a person OR a sense of loyalty or dedication: team spirit. OR state of mind or mood; attitude: he did it in the wrong spirit. OR (plural) an emotional state, esp with regard to exaltation or dejection: in high spirits. OR a person characterized by some activity, quality, or disposition: a leading spirit of the movement.

...None of the above? Really? …come on :p

*laughs*
Plenty of spirit, but I don't think I have a spirit, if that makes sense.
Basically I don't see my 'spirit' as separate from myself.

Ha-ha... Cute :p

Cute?? That was supposed to be a devastating verbal riposte. Oh well...
;)

Oh, come on… that’s an easy one. No thread needed for that: men will always go for beauty in woman instead of smarts. That’s it. End of story. Give me a real challenge :cool:

Hmm...2 reasons I chose that one. Heck, maybe 3;

1) It seems almost too straight forward. I thought it mighta had hidden depths.
2) The hypothetical was very interesting to 12 year old me, as you can perhaps imagine...ahem...
3) I never quite understood the choice. Aphrodite would have been third on my list. Having said that, if I wake up tomorrow with facial warts, I might reflect back on this comment and become a Hellenic polytheist...
:cool:

Nefelie

*laughs* Plenty of spirit, but I don't think I have a spirit, if that makes sense. Basically I don't see my 'spirit' as separate from myself.

First of, why do people keep assuming staff I never mentioned? Did I say anything about you being separated from yourself? Nope, I don’t think so :p

Second of, what is “yourself” anyway…?

Cute?? That was supposed to be a devastating verbal riposte. Oh well...

Sorry :rolleyes:

Hmm...2 reasons I chose that one. Heck, maybe 3;
1) It seems almost too straight forward. I thought it mighta had hidden depths.
2) The hypothetical was very interesting to 12 year old me, as you can perhaps imagine...ahem...
3) I never quite understood the choice. Aphrodite would have been third on my list. Having said that, if I wake up tomorrow with facial warts, I might reflect back on this comment and become a Hellenic polytheist...

OK, start a thread and we’ll talk about it :)