• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism-vague thread.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
im not going to try and convince you about the Bible, but what im trying to say is we're expecting to recieve things from God, wether they be blessings, material needs, revelations etc., without wanting to give anything back, including time, dedication, prayers, acceptance etc.

i do actually think that the ethic of reciprocity can be counted on. I dont expect my boss to reward me without doing a good job. same with God.

But I never said I expect anything from god. I'm just saying that, if 'he' desired, he wouldn't have any difficulty communicating or conveying messages to people. God wouldn't need all of your self-appointed middlemen and interpreters in pointy hats and gaudy robes to turn 'him' into their sock puppet.
However you are saying that god expects to receive our worship yet it's he who is not "giving anything back"; reasons to believe or worship. You have it backwards.

J Bryson

Unfortunately, I haven't read Heinlen yet (would love to read "Starship Troopers" or "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress" to see what he is like). What is it about Father Heathen's posts that remind you of Heinlen?

His take on religion reminds me of that of the characters Jubal Harshaw from "Stranger In A Strange Land" and Lazarus Long from "Methuselah's Children," "Time Enough For Love," and several other works. More specificallly Jubal, since "Stranger" was Heinlein's major work with a religion-oriented storyline.

There's the same combination of skepticism regarding specific religious paths with a generalized "Believe what you want" respect, and a similar pleasure in tweaking noses here and there.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
well, no offense, but its not like you're accepting his invitation either. see, the problem is that you want a God that fits your own life, even if you do so unconciously, you do. you want a God that fits in with your time schedule, your wants, and your preocupations. hate to burst your line of "security" here, but God certainly isn't going to change for you. you got the whole thing backwards, buddy. It's you who must change for God.

Actually I have no particular specifications for God, other than existence. I'm quite willing to change for Him. All I ask is that He exist. Got any evidence that He does?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If you wish to be taught something, you might start with learning what "ad hominem" means ... :yes:

You mean it's not an appeal to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than one's intellect or reason, nor an attack on an opponent's character rather than addressing the argument?

I said some disparaging things regarding the bible, which apparently made your face turn beet red with rage, so instead of providing an substantiated argument defending the bible, you make some of those cute little one liners you're famous for.

J Bryson

And the disciples did cry unto him "Lord, Lord, we have gone among the unbelievers, and they met us with scorn, and did laugh at our words."

And Jesus said unto them "Take heart, for the day of my kingdom is at hand, when you shall take up not the plowshare, but keyboards with which you may make snarky comments at a safe distance, and never have to answer their questions in a straight manner, verily, I say to you that all these things shall pass."

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Jawhawke, quit with the trolling and superficial condescension. What would Jesus think of you?

99% of his posts on this forum amount to little more than glib, patronizing one liners. Seriously, just go look at his post history. I mean come on, kiddo, at least try to muster something with a little depth and substance. Or would that be expecting way too much?

DarkMaster24

Yeah, every posts I've wread from his have been an ad hominem instead of attacking an arguement. I hope he's not getting away with it just cause he's a supporter of the site.

Beaudreaux

well, no offense, but its not like you're accepting his invitation either. see, the problem is that you want a God that fits your own life, even if you do so unconciously, you do. you want a God that fits in with your time schedule, your wants, and your preocupations. hate to burst your line of "security" here, but God certainly isn't going to change for you. you got the whole thing backwards, buddy. It's you who must change for God.
You are mischaracterizing what FH is saying. His invitation is for God to provide one iota of evidence that He exists. And I don't know about FH, but I don't want a God at all so you're definitely not talking about THIS atheist.

Beaudreaux

my theory is that God was closer to those who wrote the Bible and to the prophets than we are. why should God give anyone anything when all we behave like pampered infants? why do we expect to recieve when we dont give?
Who exactly do you know who is behaving as a pampered infant? I and everyone I know has to work hard to get the things we want in life.