• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism

RestlessSoul

Not from what I observe.
Believers have scripture to study, & figure
out what ambiguous poetic prose means.
And they also regularly change religions.
That's far far more work than not believing.

But then how do you account for all the effort atheists on this forum devote, daily it would seem, to advertising their (supposedly effortless) lack of belief?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But then how do you account for all the effort atheists on this forum devote, daily it would seem, to advertising their (supposedly effortless) lack of belief?
It's all optional to non-belief.
It's the same for religious folk, ie, coming
here to discuss religion isn't required, just
something they want to do.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I noticed you and @Revoltingest aren't comparing "exactly" the same thing, if you look closely:

76f2rz.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member
So I think that some point, in general, I should clarify something.

Some of the posts that were addressed to me in this thread, just sounded like they were directed at me with the assumption I was Abrahamic.

But I rejected the Abrahamic God either way, and long before making this thread about atheism. I was a polytheist who was into Wicca, and polytheists tend to have their own beliefs.

This is why I've talked multiple times about magical thinking. Basically my beliefs were getting to be close enough to atheism, that I started to see the only difference between choosing or succumbing to atheism, and my current beliefs, was the incorporation of magical thinking.

So I was trying to decide to give up magical thinking. And I considered part of that, giving up the gods. In which case, it'd be hard to any more call me polytheist.
The purpose of religion is to help the adherent live their life according to whatever theological position they've chosen to hold. But the religion is not necessary in this, it's optional.

If your theistic position was based solely on magical thinking, then obviously if you reject that magical thinking you will no longer be a theist. But that does not make you an atheist. You could still be undecided, or just indifferent theistically. Neither of which is atheism.

I think being undecided is a good thing, because it leaves you open to other options in the future, should you want or need them, that atheism does not.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The purpose of religion is to help the adherent live their life according to whatever theological position they've chosen to hold. But the religion is not necessary in this, it's optional.

If your theistic position was based solely on magical thinking, then obviously if you reject that magical thinking you will no longer be a theist. But that does not make you an atheist. You could still be undecided, or just indifferent theistically. Neither of which is atheism.

I think being undecided is a good thing, because it leaves you open to other options in the future that atheism does not.

Atheism is just lack of belief in a god/gods. If you want to add additional baggage to the term, it's up to you, although I'm also aware some use the term "non-theist" instead to avoid those negative interpretations of themselves.

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheism is just lack of belief in a god/gods.
No, it isn't. Because logically a 'lack' is an indescript nothing. Agnostics can lack belief. Theists can lack belief. Atheists can lack belief. Undecideds can lack belief. Indifference lacks belief. Lack of belief describes nothing because it refers to nothing. And it means nothing.

Atheist are lying when they insist their lack of belief defines them as atheists. Most of them are even lying when they claim a lack of belief, because most of them believe that no gods exist. And a smart person ought to be asking themselves why atheism involves so much deliberate dishonesty and misdirection. Why can't they just say they don't believe any gods exist?

The answer is that they know they can't defend that belief any more logically or factually than a theist can defend theism. So they try to hide it behind a phony mask of 'unbelief' and demand that the theist "convince" them when they have no intention of being open to convincing.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
No, it isn't. Because logically a 'lack' is an indescript nothing. Agnostics can lack belief. Theists can lack belief. Atheists can lack belief. Undecideds can lack belief. Indifference lacks belief. Lack of belief describes nothing because it refers to nothing. And it means nothing.

Atheist are lying when they insist their lack of belief defines them as atheists. Most of them are even lying when they claim a lack of belief, because most of them believe that no gods exist. And a smart person is ought to be asking themselves why atheism involves so much deliberate dishonesty and misdirection. Why can't they just say they don't believe any gods exist?

The answer is that they know they can't defend that belief any more logically or factually than a theist can defend theism. So they try to hide it behind a phony mask of 'unbelief'.

So yeah, you attach some baggage with the term.

PureX

Veteran Member
So yeah, you attach some baggage with the term.
I attached some common sense to the term, so it would actually mean something. But I can see you're already invested in the standard atheist dishonesty and misdirection, so good luck with your decision.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you meet your Catholic boyfriend in Theology school?
:eek: My new boyfriend was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school from grade school through high school.
He is not a practicing Catholic anymore, and I am only now learning more about his God beliefs, but thus far they are similar to mine. He is a strong believer and God is always in the forefront of his mind. This is a good sign.
No, it's a Theology course at a normal university. I've noticed a lot if folks ask this. Does the US not have that?

I met him on here.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Hardly advertising - more like contradicting the beliefs of those who seem to think they have it all right - and even where these are opposed by many with different such beliefs. :oops:

Freedom of speech and all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Atheist are lying when they insist their lack of belief defines them as atheists.
Some people never learn.
They can't just disagree.
Gotta accuse others of lying.
And they gots no civility.
Don't hate, people.

RestlessSoul

Hardly advertising - more like contradicting the beliefs of those who seem to think they have it all right - and even where these are opposed by many with different such beliefs. :oops:

Freedom of speech and all.

Yes, we’re all free to contradict each other.

Alternatively, we could try to understand each other, but perhaps contradiction is simpler?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So I think that some point, in general, I should clarify something.

Some of the posts that were addressed to me in this thread, just sounded like they were directed at me with the assumption I was Abrahamic.

But I rejected the Abrahamic God either way, and long before making this thread about atheism. I was a polytheist who was into Wicca, and polytheists tend to have their own beliefs.

This is why I've talked multiple times about magical thinking. Basically my beliefs were getting to be close enough to atheism, that I started to see the only difference between choosing or succumbing to atheism, and my current beliefs, was the incorporation of magical thinking.

So I was trying to decide to give up magical thinking. And I considered part of that, giving up the gods. In which case, it'd be hard to any more call me polytheist.
What do you mean by magical thinking? Do you mean anything paranormal?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not from what I observe.
Believers have scripture to study, & figure
out what ambiguous poetic prose means.
And they also regularly change religions.
That's far far more work than not believing.
Not all theists study scripture and not all theists change religions.
I never changed religions, I have only ever been a Baha'i.
But I was just joking because beings a Baha'i is ANYTHING but effortless! :eek:
It would be MUCH easier to be an atheist.