• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad things about Christianity

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
adilrockstar said:
This is slander. God never told us to Hate our loved ones.

26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple".

μισώ, μίσος

What does this mean?

adilrockstar

Nullifidian said:
I'm not qualified to interpret the sayings of the biblical Jesus, all I can do is read what it says in black and white. It says "hate", which in Greek is the word "miseo" and, as far as I know, always means "hate".

If you do not feel able to interpret it then you should not tell others what it say's.

No offense

God Bless

Adil

adilrockstar

Radio Frequency X said:
26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple".

μισώ, μίσος

What does this mean?

The greek word "miseo" means to Hate OR LOVE LESS.

Jesus commands that our Love for God be greater than any other attraction, even our own family.

Check out these similar refferences:

Matt 10:37
Mal 1:3
Gen 29:31

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
adilrockstar said:

Jesus commands that our Love for God be greater than any other attraction, even our own family.

Isn't that still rather........::thinks for appropiate word::... harsh..?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
adilrockstar said:

Matthew 10:37, in context, is about making your family into your enemy.

Malachi 1:3 is definitely meant in the sense of hated. The passage is about the horrible things done to Esau to make him suffer because he was "hated."

Gen 29:31 is translated as "not loved." But, of course, the original is in Hebrew. If you are getting a "miseo" usage in Gen. 29:31, it would have to be from the LXX.

Scott1

doppelgänger said:
Matthew 10:37, in context, is about making your family into your enemy.
Yep... in fact the hidden meaning behind all of Christianity is hate everyone and the little known side issue: The Red Sox Suck (It's in Revelation if you look hard enough).

Come on folks.... don't wanna be a Christian? Fine. Don't like Christians? Super.

But do you honestly think posting idiotic ideas like this do anything but make ya'll look petty and spiteful?

Banter on about Scripture this and Scripture that.... it can't defend itself... but if you truly want to learn about Christianity: ASK.

I don't hate my family or anyone for that matter.... now, that's a little bit more relevant than bickering about a 2,000 year old book... right?

doppelganger

Scott1 said:
Yep... in fact the hidden meaning behind all of Christianity is hate everyone and the little known side issue: The Red Sox Suck (It's in Revelation if you look hard enough).
Relax, there Scott, I'm just pointing out the its context doesn't support the idea of "love less" so much as "make an enemy of." It's a metaphor for gosh sakes. Now a more interesting discussion is why would the character Jesus use this metaphor and what does it mean to you?

Scott1

doppelgänger said:
Relax, there Scott, I'm just pointing out the its context doesn't support the idea of "love less" so much as "make an enemy of."
I'm relaxed... not certain why you'd think otherwise since you don't know me... but rest assured, I'm fine... thanks.:D
Now a more interesting discussion is why would the character Jesus use this metaphor and what does it mean to you?
The historical backround makes it clear to me... he was asking 1st century Jews and Pagans to choose faith in him... this decision (as a general rule) would cause strife and anger among family members of the person who chose to follow Christ.... a new Christian then would have to make a choice: follow my conscience and risk losing my family or betray my conscience (and damn my soul) and keep my family.

Tough choice no matter what anyone says.... but it's such an important decision that it would be better to have the ones become "enemies" (their choice to be an enemy-not the Christian, who loves them still) than give up salvation.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
*whistles loudly*

Everyone, please be aware that this thead is not for insulting one another or one another's faith. Please be fore-warned that doing so may result in warnings.

Fluffy

A fool
I can't really tell you the bad things about Christianity because I feel that I am unable to do such a thing. I can only tell you what I dislike about that religion:
1) Proselytising or witnessing or whatever you wish to call it. I have found it to be a consistently negative experience.
2) Reliance on the supernatural or god over personal merit.
3) The way its ethical system conflicts with my own in the political and social arenas. I wouldn't mind so much if its basis was something other than faith. For example I have no problem in disagreeing with a utilitarian but specific ideas like salvation to be a nuisance.
4) The Bible Belt, Ireland and Poland. In other words areas where there is an extremely high concentration of Christians. Not that I don't like Christians (I do!) but I just dislike the lack of diversity.
5) I also dislike incoherent belief systems and whilst I don't think that Christianity necessarily has to be incoherent at all, I do encounter Christians who hold conflicting and self conflicting beliefs. Even then I don't mind it very much unless they preach it since I feel that the least that could be expected of any sort of attempt at rhetoric would be coherency.

When all is said and done, the problems I will have with Christianity are roughly the same problems I will have with most religions. I don't think they are that big (in the way that Dawkins might argue they are) since I don't expect that much of others and don't think they are isolated to religion.

doppelganger

Scott1 said:
The historical backround makes it clear to me... he was asking 1st century Jews and Pagans to choose faith in him... this decision (as a general rule) would cause strife and anger among family members of the person who chose to follow Christ.... a new Christian then would have to make a choice: follow my conscience and risk losing my family or betray my conscience (and damn my soul) and keep my family.

Tough choice no matter what anyone says.... but it's such an important decision that it would be better to have the ones become "enemies" (their choice to be an enemy-not the Christian, who loves them still) than give up salvation.
There you go. I think that's a pretty good and very enlightening interpretation of the metaphor. So why someone would feel compelled to argue that Jesus was acutally using the word "love less" (especially when the text just doesn't support it)? He was saying that awakening to the Christ would make you an ememy of the world. And that metaphor is the truth.

adilrockstar said:
If you do not feel able to interpret it then you should not tell others what it say's.

No offense

God Bless

Adil

I didn't say I wasn't able to interpret it, I said I'm not qualified to interpret it, which is not the same thing at all. If God wanted so badly to communicate with his creations, why did he write such a confusing book? Are we all supposed to become experts in ancient Greek and Hebrew in order to find out what God wanted to say to us? Why can we not simply read his "word" and be sure of what he wanted to say? Remember, he didn't create us to be omniscient, like he supposedly is.

Scott1 said:
I'm relaxed... not certain why you'd think otherwise since you don't know me... but rest assured, I'm fine... thanks.:D

Maybe, but then, aren't Christians supposed to love their enemies? So how could they hate their families and love them at the same time?

Scott1

doppelgänger said:
There you go. I think that's a pretty good and very enlightening interpretation of the metaphor. So why someone would feel compelled to argue that Jesus was acutally using the word "love less" (especially when the text just doesn't support it)? He was saying that awakening to the Christ would make you an ememy of the world. And that metaphor is the truth.
Thanks... don't know what motivates some people to argue the things they do... but being an "enemy" of the world makes the commandment to love the world all the more difficult and important.

Peace be with you,
S

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
adilrockstar said:

You should have posted this.

Hacker

Scott1 said:
But do you honestly think posting idiotic ideas like this do anything but make ya'll look petty and spiteful?
What idiotic ideas do you percieve as spiteful?

Scott1

Nullifidian said:
Maybe, but then, aren't Christians supposed to love their enemies? So how could they hate their families and love them at the same time?
They should never hate anyone.... and please spare me the "but the Bible said this" stuff... I'm not a "bible-only" Christian so I don't need my faith to be written out for me inside the book.

Christian TRADITION explains it as I do.... take it or leave it.:D

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
doppelgänger said:
He was saying that awakening to the Christ would make you an ememy of the world. And that metaphor is the truth.

This is the reason why I am not a Christian. If I could come to believe that Jesus loved the world and came to promote it, instead of coming to somehow save us from and turn us away from the world, and to destroy it, then I could be a Christian. But as long as Christianity is opposed to this world, to Nature, and to man's natural character and spirit, I must abstain - Even if I believed this wasn't "true Christianity", I simply couldn't associate myself with world-haters.

Scott1

Radio Frequency X said:
This is the reason why I am not a Christian.
Yeah.... ok.
If I could come to believe that Jesus loved the world and came to promote it, instead of coming to somehow save us from and turn us away from the world, and to destroy it, then I could be a Christian.
Ok....better come on down to Church and sign up.... Christians are to love the world and all that's in it. The only "enemy" are those who call US enemies.... and we love them even as they torment or hurt us. Love... love... love... that's what Christianity is.

So... when are you joining up?

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Scott1 said:
Yeah.... ok.

Ok....better come on down to Church and sign up.... Christians are to love the world and all that's in it. The only "enemy" are those who call US enemies.... and we love them even as they torment or hurt us. Love... love... love... that's what Christianity is.

So... when are you joining up?

The moment I believe you!