• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brussels Under Attack

Crypto2015

Rebuked or not, David was a murderer whom the bible says is a man after gods own heart. But if that isn't good enough for you, Lot was the only person spared in Sodom because he was a godly man, and yet not long before that, had sent out his daughters to be raped by a crowd. Not exactly an exemplary record. And no, he was never rebuked for it.

All men sin. David was a man after God's own heart because when God rebuked him, David repented immediately. Lot did not rape anyone. So, in comparison with the inhabitants of his city, he was a just man. Furthermore, David and Lot are NOT Biblical role models. The Christian role model is Jesus.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Good thing we didn't throw in the towel on Christianity based on the Christians who perpetrated the Inquisition or the Crusades!

There have been many Christian reformation movements too.

You're guilty of religious myopia. You see a window of the last 40 years or so, with American Christians being relatively peaceful compared to Middle Eastern Muslims, and you think that means there is something inherently rotten in Islam and wonderful in Christianity. Wrong. Throughout history Christians have killed far, far more than Muslims in religious-based attacks. See the attached if you care to educate yourself. Or just leave your blinders on, I don't really care.

And if you're going to say "oh this is ancient history" remember that just for most of American history, the wonderful Christian population kept, beat, raped and killed human slaves, quoting the Bible as justification.

https://www.quora.com/Which-religio...of-deaths-of-infidels-over-its-entire-history

This is a tangent, but to call out the Crusades as being significant, is a meme that just has to stop. I'm no fan of Christianity, but the Crusades should be about #812 on the list of mistakes made due to Christianity.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Actually David is mentioned as a role model as a leader and is mentioned as such many times in the Tanakh. It's just that he was far from perfect-- make that very far from perfect. BTW, the apostles were not exactly role models of perfect behavior either, and look how many churches are named after them.

Crypto2015

Actually David is mentioned as a role model as a leader and is mentioned as such many times in the Tanakh. It's just that he was far from perfect-- make that very far from perfect. BTW, the apostles were not exactly role models of perfect behavior either, and look how many churches are named after them.

Nope. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that David is our role model. Even if you dislike it, Christ is the only role model mentioned in the Bible.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Nope. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that David is our role model. Even if you dislike it, Christ is the only role model mentioned in the Bible.
Sorry, but you need to read the Tanakh as David is praised for his leadership, which is why he was selected in the first place by God according to the scriptures. He's even used as a reference point for Jesus. Also, whether Jesus is a role model or not is quite subjective.

Crypto2015

Sorry, but you need to read the Tanakh as David is praised for his leadership, which is why he was selected in the first place by God according to the scriptures. He's even used as a reference point for Jesus. Also, whether Jesus is a role model or not is quite subjective.

You are the one who needs to read the Tanakh. Just because someone is praised for certain qualities it does not mean that that someone is a perfect role model.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
People, why are you so stupid? Why the hell are you trying so hard to prove that Christianity is dangerous and pernicious, and this in the context of an Islamic terrorist attack? Would you really be as moronic as to go to the relatives of the Brussels victims to tell them: "Don't be afraid. Islam has killed your relatives today. Tomorrow they will probably kill you, but rejoice: Christianity is just as bad as Islam". In what part of your tiny little brains that this make any sense? You have turned Western Civilization into a huge pathetic joke. Your enemy is killing you almost on a daily basis and your only concern is to destroy what little remains of your own culture. This is not only pathetic, but utterly disgusting.
Someone can't take his own medicine. Lol.

skl

A man on a mission
It makes me cringe when I read the disagreements and accusations between different religions. This is exactly why we have many of the serious problems the world faces and it does not look like changing, therefore, I would challenge all god believing people to leave their religions in the place of worship or discard the religion completely.

I understand beliefs are emotional issues and for most indoctrinated believers it would be impossible to discard, however if religion does nothing to break the cycle of hate, bigotry, anger and violence it will eventually destroy all religions and as an atheist I believe this price may be to high to pay for the rest of us.

Bombs at the airport, reports starting to come in of bombs on the metro.

This is just another carnal religion put together by carnal men. Remember in history, when people said, if only we could get rid of Napoleon, or if only we could get rid of the Kaiser, or if only we could get rid of the Hitlers or the Idi-Amins of this world, then everything will be alright. The real problem is with man who is fallen because of the fall as described in Genesis. The whole world lies in the hand of the evil one. But Jesus Christ says we are to love God and to love one another, which is completely different to the Muslim religion. I am not surprised what has happened in Brussels, and I am sure there will be more to come. Christ’s prophet. Certainty for eternity

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
Sad that this happened, and my condolences go out to the families and friends of the victims.

Also unfortunate this event is going to be used to demonize an entire religion instead of placing the blame where it needs to be. That just happens to be the nature of the world though today, unfortunately.
A bit like how some people demonise a whole gender because of their personal experiences, eh?

godnotgod

Thou art That
You are welcome, my friend. Of course that there are decent Muslims. I believe that the majority of Muslims are decent. The problem is that Islam is indecent. Decent Muslims are not as devout as Islamic terrorists are.

I would hardly call them 'devout'! Brainwashing/indoctrination is not devotion.
Cryto is correct. I've read much of the Koran. ISIS is devoutly following the Koran's commandments. They are not brainwashed. They are devout followers. Moderate Muslims are ignoring many of the commandments of Mohamed; like Christians who ignore the barbarisms found in the Old Testament.

I disagree. To truly be devout, one must have a pure heart and an awakened consciousness. Then one understands what it means to be devoted. To be devoted is to pursue a peaceful path. ISIS is not devoted as their consciousness is not awakened. The proof is in the path of evil and destruction they choose to follow, IN THE NAME OF GOODNESS AND RIGHTEOUSNESS! There is no difference in their lockstep pursuit of their agenda and that of Adolf Hitler, whom I also cannot call 'devoted'. The best I can say for both is to label them as having 'dogged determination', but that is putting it mildly. Perhaps 'murderous zealous religious fanatic' is better.

skl

A man on a mission
This is just another carnal religion put together by carnal men. Remember in history, when people said, if only we could get rid of Napoleon, or if only we could get rid of the Kaiser, or if only we could get rid of the Hitlers or the Idi-Amins of this world, then everything will be alright. The real problem is with man who is fallen because of the fall as described in Genesis. The whole world lies in the hand of the evil one. But Jesus Christ says we are to love God and to love one another, which is completely different to the Muslim religion. I am not surprised what has happened in Brussels, and I am sure there will be more to come. Christ’s prophet. Certainty for eternity

Politics will always be a problem and countries will always go to war no matter what the reason, however religions add another dimension to many conflicts by complicating matters such as enraging the average religious citizens of the world and encouraging religious extremists to become actively involved.

This has nothing to do with so called predictions written by some superstitious people in an ancient book based solely on unsubstantiated faith.

You basically say the Muslim religion is completely different inferring it is not a religion of love, however many millions of Islamic faithful will disagree with you. Who are you to say your religion is better than any other? I have seen Christians kill other Christians not so long ago in fact.

Frank Merton

Politics will always be a problem and countries will always go to war no matter what the reason, however religions add another dimension to many conflicts by complicating matters such as enraging the average religious citizens of the world and encouraging religious extremists to become actively involved.

This has nothing to do with so called predictions written by some superstitious people in an ancient book based solely on unsubstantiated faith.

You basically say the Muslim religion is completely different inferring it is not a religion of love, however many millions of Islamic faithful will disagree with you. Who are you to say your religion is better than any other? I have seen Christians kill other Christians not so long ago in fact.
The simple fact is Islam and Christianity, as they are now, are cut from the same cloth. So long as any religion claims to be the only Truth, there will be bloodshed. Jesus and Mohamed were different -- Jesus comes across, at least most of the time, as loving and kind and gentle, while Muhammad comes across as a brigand and charismatic gang boss amd making up revelations as convenient to him and using it as an excuse for brutality and rape and so on. As the religions have evolved, however, they have become similar and both at times bloodthirsty, and, maybe even worse, glorifying martyrs.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Following the principles of your faith and dying for your faith qualify as devotion.

True devotion would not follow principles that dictate wanton murder. Brainwashed zombies are not devotees. A true devotee has a mind of his own. That is why he can be devout. Do you understand the difference between the two states of mind? Essentially, the devotee is self-directed, the zombie other-directed. C'mon now, use your head!

Last edited:

skl

A man on a mission
The simple fact is Islam and Christianity, as they are now, are cut from the same cloth. So long as any religion claims to be the only Truth, there will be bloodshed. Jesus and Mohamed were different -- Jesus comes across, at least most of the time, as loving and kind and gentle, while Muhammad comes across as a brigand and charismatic gang boss amd making up revelations as convenient to him and using it as an excuse for brutality and rape and so on. As the religions have evolved, however, they have become similar and both at times bloodthirsty, and, maybe even worse, glorifying martyrs.

I agree both Islam and Christianity are stable mates and if you decide to check it out these religions are also strongly similar to Budda, Krishna, Odysseus, Horus, Heracles and many other gods and religions past and present.

As you say “So long as any religion claims to be the only Truth, there will be bloodshed.” This is so true and the world should not have to suffer because of manipulative god fearing governments and masses of religious people claiming to belong to religions of love and the extremists physically carrying it out!

Martyrdom or basically a sacrificial victim is a step further than indoctrination and it could be considered that radicalisation or brainwashing into such an extreme emotional state of mind invokes a kind of powerful sociological deception providing a fanatical need to satisfy their material and spiritual needs.

This is very scary stuff and good justification to call for the end of religious dominance.