• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brussels Under Attack

heksesang

Quantity doesn't matter in this matter of ethics. It's wrong to persecute anyone for simply having a different religion, period, regardless if its an in-group or out-group conflict. I see that you're from Norway. It would be as if you were living centuries ago and your relatives murdered you for converting from Germanic religion to Christianity.
Actually, in Norway Christianity was spread with the sword, much like how Islam was spread. So I'd say it would be the other way around, killed by the Christians for following the Nordic religion. :p

Sure I guess, but I don't know how it's important when it comes to deciding if a religion is "peaceful" or not.

It's still God commanding people to murder other people for worshiping someone else. I can't see the difference when it comes to Christians saying their religion is peaceful while Islam isn't. They both have Gods that command their followers to murder people for various reasons.

The only real reason Christianity seems less murderous today is secularism. Christianity doesn't have any Theocracies. I guarantee if you let the Bible Belt in America form a nation where Christian Law ruled the country instead of secular law, you'd have homosexuals being put to death, adulterers, etc.
How it looks to me, Christianity and Judaism combined (which is what I'd argue the Bible Belt Christians follow) makes a religion very similar to Islam. You have one part which is all about being peaceful and good, and one part which is way more brutal.
However, I'd argue "pure" Christianity is more similar to the peaceful part of Islam.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Actually, in Norway Christianity was spread with the sword, much like how Islam was spread. So I'd say it would be the other way around, killed by the Christians for following the Nordic religion. :p
Oh, I know. :p I was just making a scenario that you could relate to.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I obviously, strongly, disagree with such an assertion. World peace is interesting, perhaps highly coveted. But matters little compared to own worldview that maintains peaceful outlook.

The 'point of no return' is not a notion I can (easily) go along with.

If it is actually the case, then you have no choice, other than denial.

Excuse me, but world peace begins with you and I.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I can't see the difference when it comes to Christians saying their religion is peaceful while Islam isn't. They both have Gods that command their followers to murder people for various reasons.

Islam may be a bit more direct about it, while Christianity simply passes the buck to God who condemns the offenders to an eternity of excrutiating suffering. Not sure which is worse. But extreme unforgiving punitive measures are common to all three of the Abrahamic religions.

Sad that this happened, and my condolences go out to the families and friends of the victims.

Also unfortunate this event is going to be used to demonize an entire religion instead of placing the blame where it needs to be. That just happens to be the nature of the world though today, unfortunately.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Guess Abraham is not your "father" you speak the language of another parent when you call evil good and light darkness. There are a great many Muslims who would condemn these attacks and even more Christians.
Guess you don't understand the Abrahamic religions
The children tribes of Israel (lost)murderer each other and Abraham just taking bets .
Yahweh not pleased
And you talk demonic rubbish

Crypto2015

Same question to you, so this means only SOME people should be stoned to death for worshiping other Gods? Jews only? I don't get it.

I already told you that the Law of Moses was written for the Jews that lived in Israel. Christians do not follow the law of Moses. So, we don't need to stone anyone. Do you realize how ridiculous is this? Today 40 people have been killed because of the Islamic mandate to wage war on the unbelievers, and you are here trying to prove how evil Christianity is. If Christianity were evil, I would be out there killing people and I wouldn't give a damn about any man-made laws. However, Christianity is not evil, like Islam is. As Christians we must love everyone.

Crypto2015

Stop blarting out ad hominems and actually present an argument, or don't bother replying.

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing...but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun(the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)"

Quran (2:244) - "Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things."

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority"

Quran (4:76) - "Those who believe fight in the cause of Allah…"

Quran (4:74) - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."

Quran (4:95) - "Not equal are those of the believers who sit (at home), except those who are disabled (by injury or are blind or lame, etc.), and those who strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allah with their wealth and their lives. Allah has preferred in grades those who strive hard and fight with their wealth and their lives above those who sit (at home).Unto each, Allah has promised good (Paradise), but Allah has preferred those who strive hard and fight, above those who sit (at home) by a huge reward "

Quran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

Quran (5:33) - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement"

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" No reasonable person would interpret this to mean a spiritual struggle.

Quran (8:39) - "And fight with them until there is no more fitna (disorder, unbelief) and religion is all for Allah"

Quran (8:57) - "If thou comest on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that haply they may remember."

Quran (8:65) - "O Prophet, exhort the believers to fight..."

Here you have some food for thought.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing...but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun(the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)"

Quran (2:244) - "Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things."

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority"

Quran (4:74) - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."

Quran (4:95) - "Not equal are those of the believers who sit (at home), except those who are disabled (by injury or are blind or lame, etc.), and those who strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allah with their wealth and their lives. Allah has preferred in grades those who strive hard and fight with their wealth and their lives above those who sit (at home).Unto each, Allah has promised good (Paradise), but Allah has preferred those who strive hard and fight, above those who sit (at home) by a huge reward "

Quran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

Quran (5:33) - "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement"

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" No reasonable person would interpret this to mean a spiritual struggle.

Quran (8:39) - "And fight with them until there is no more fitna (disorder, unbelief) and religion is all for Allah"

Quran (8:57) - "If thou comest on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that haply they may remember."

You understand nothing

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...han-quran-text-analysis-reveals-a6863381.html

And?

SpeaksForTheTrees

Islam may be a bit more direct about it, while Christianity simply passes the buck to God who condemns the offenders to an eternity of excrutiating suffering. Not sure which is worse. But extreme unforgiving punitive measures are common to all three of the Abrahamic religions.
Is a 3 way relationship
Abraham , and two son
Judaism + Sons Islam and Christian
Only father can stop his sons fighting and only if he chooses

skl

A man on a mission
Is a very accepting philosophy .
Tact violence has no tact is violence .
Isis going one for one ,one victims they owe us millions to even balance the scale I saw a video log ago on utube a terrorist wept , knowing he owed us so many dead.
For terrorist the count 1 for 1 , Iraq alone we killed millions.
Blame lies with ALL is a world we created .
Yes I choose western people , but that does not feel like a real choice .
Is a horrible situation for all

A terrorist wept because he owed us so many dead.....Are you serious? This just goes to show how sick and ugly a religion can be. Why anyone would count body numbers and ask their God to help them even it up is degrading the human race and more obscene than I ever thought possible.

Flankerl

So God commanded Jews to murder other Jews if they worshiped a different God. I still fail to see how that is fundamentally different than God commanding Muslims to murder non-Muslims.

It's not really murder when trials and all that stuff is involved but hey whatever floats your boat.

And there is quite the big difference in going out and killing people that don't belong to your group and to keep it in your own group.

Also getting offended or annoyed with stuff that happened thousands of years ago is really weird.

SpeaksForTheTrees

A terrorist wept because he owed us so many dead.....Are you serious? This just goes to show how sick and ugly a religion can be. Why anyone would count body numbers and ask their God to help them even it up is degrading the human race and more obscene than I ever thought possible.
Yes serious was on utube over 10 years ago.
Is only Judaism can order the children Islam and Christian to stop fighting