• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Thank you. Do you also see that Romans 3 4 was a very bad verse to use. by my opponent? Especially since he had to quote mine it? Personally I think that quote mining the Bible is wrong no matter which side does it. In fact quote mining in general is almost always used as a form of lying. He may have been merely quoting Liars for Jesus (aka apologists) in his use of that verse. The verse was actually about circumcision and how some Jews not following the law does not negate that God is keeping his promise to the Jews. In fact the part that is often abused essentially says that even if every Jew did not follow the law that God would still keep his promises. That was not an excuse not to circumcise, but a recognition that God's connection to the Jews was deeper than just that.
I didn't read that so I am not sure what his application was or what he said... I only delved into areas that I was interested in.

In context it was more than circumcision, though it did mention it. It also included the oracles of God - the Jewish nation (in that circumcision was a covenant act), righteousness et al.

Kenny

Premium Member
The "world might be saved", if indeed they heeded his message (Mt 7:24-27), but in fact, the "many" chose the "wide""way" to "destruction". The "grace" of God, is that he chose the "elect" from the foundation of the world, and even they could be "deceived""if possible" (Mt 24:24).
Yes... but there was a gospel of grace. But, yes, some abuse the grace.

2ndpillar

Ordinary faith is a trust that real things are as they should be.
Your "ordinary faith", is that any man can become a women or a man by wishful thinking, and a little surgery. That is not how it works except in liberal colleges, which ends at their doors.

2ndpillar

I didn't read that so I am not sure what his application was or what he said... I only delved into areas that I was interested in.

In context it was more than circumcision, though it did mention it. It also included the oracles of God - the Jewish nation (in that circumcision was a covenant act), righteousness et al.
As for Romans, with regards to Romans 7:20, Paul is but a vehicle for sin/devil. You appear to be riding in the same vehicle as Paul. You might want to consider getting out of that vehicle and calling a Uber.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So then, the only requirement to being a Christian is to follow Jesus. Not to read or know the Bible. Correct?
Personally, I consider someone a Christian if they:

- follow Jesus, whatever they understand this to mean, and
- self-identify as a Christian.

That's basically it.

If knowing the Bible were a prerequisite for being a Christian, none of the Apostles would have been Christian... which I think would be a weird conclusion.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Your "ordinary faith", is that any man can become a women or a man by wishful thinking, and a little surgery. That is not how it works except in liberal colleges, which ends at their doors.

No, it is that we are several things besides that which is between our legs. If you actually try to understand the following, you would get.
That you feel like a gender or not, is not located between your legs. It happens in your brain, just as which sex if one/two/none/pan you are attracted to.
That is it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Personally, I consider someone a Christian if they:

- follow Jesus, whatever they understand this to mean, and
- self-identify as a Christian.

That's basically it.

If knowing the Bible were a prerequisite for being a Christian, none of the Apostles would have been Christian... which I think would be a weird conclusion.

Yeah, I know at least one Christian in that sense.

Kenny

Premium Member
Religious faith is an imaginary car that you pretend gets you to your destination.

Ordinary faith is a trust that real things are as they should be.
Too broad and not very clear.

As a Buddhist, do you believe you will be born again after death?

Kenny

Premium Member
As for Romans, with regards to Romans 7:20, Paul is but a vehicle for sin/devil. You appear to be riding in the same vehicle as Paul. You might want to consider getting out of that vehicle and calling a Uber.
Yes... I know where you stand with Paul. Are you saying that Jesus didn't offer grace?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

It may have been a bit more than that, but in context the line "let every man be a liar" was about even if every Jew was not circumcised God would have met his promises to Israel. It had noting to do with scripture being true.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I called "gender dysphoria" a "mental problem/disorder", not a "disease". If it were a disease, your Pharma could be making a huge profit in supposedly curing it, whereas they probably helped initiated it through chemicals they produced that are found in the food chain, much like frogs with too many legs, or too many heads. And yes, chemicals affect the brain, just as stomach flora, produced by poor nutrition affects the brain as well. One of the cures was for people too incorporate the waste taken from healthy people. You might consider going down that road.
Neither you or I are qualified to call it a disorder either. And please, you should be hiding your conspiracy theory nonsense. Or at the very least apologizing when you trot it out.

Kenny

Premium Member
It may have been a bit more than that, but in context the line "let every man be a liar" was about even if every Jew was not circumcised God would have met his promises to Israel. It had noting to do with scripture being true.
then you would have the read the whole of Romans and not just quote a single verse and chapter. Is that what you are saying?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
then you would have the read the whole of Romans and not just quote a single verse and chapter. Is that what you are saying?
Are you paying attention? That part of Romans was not about the reliability of scripture. They were debating whether circumcision was needed for Christianity. That was the larger context of that verse. Don't try to make it something that it wasn't.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I'm not sure... if, as Hebrews 11:6 says its true, "Without faith it is impossible to please God", the literal interpretation of Romans 14 would be correct.
All I can really say to that is that God -and life in general- indeed works in mysterious ways.

I personally was an atheist and certainly not seeking God when God “sought” me; giving me very little option but to welcome a new path of devotion, lived in deep faith.

I had not been a good person and I know that I will never either understand or be worthy of the u-turn that God granted me, but I am eternally grateful for having been in the frame of mind to have been able to receive God’s blessing.

Humbly,
Hermit

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Christians, are just a many factioned sect born of "Babylon the Great". (Rev 17:5) Their members, carry the mark of the "beast with two horns like a lamb", and are looking at drinking from the "cup of His wrath" (Rev 14:10).
That was in response to, "do you say you're a Christian?" So yes then.
I called "gender dysphoria" a "mental problem/disorder", not a "disease". If it were a disease, your Pharma could be making a huge profit in supposedly curing it
It sounds like you don't know what a disease is.
I think cutting off body parts of children is "radical".
Do you include circumcision? How about tonsils?
Your "ordinary faith", is that any man can become a women or a man by wishful thinking, and a little surgery.
What does that have to do with faith? Yes, you are free to identify with whatever gender you prefer or none at all and appear in public appearing male or female whatever your genotype. And if you don't encounter too many bigots, you should expect to be treated with kindness and respect.

Kenny

Premium Member
Are you paying attention? That part of Romans was not about the reliability of scripture. They were debating whether circumcision was needed for Christianity. That was the larger context of that verse. Don't try to make it something that it wasn't.
Now you are being argumentative which is why I only asked for an explanation.