• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Um, it was an expression used to tell the Israelites they should not pray to some unseen person for good luck. I doubt one of the spirit persons that are against God (called demons) would be in that position, but -- anyway -- He told the Israelites not to pray for "good luck" to whatever god they thought they might be praying for. If I find more information about this, I'll let you know.

Isaiah 65:11 - "But you are among those forsaking Jehovah,
Those forgetting my holy mountain,
Those setting a table for the god of Good Luck,
And those filling up cups of mixed wine for the god of Destiny."
And I have never claimed that the Bible is devoid of good advice. My problem is when people abuse the Bible and interpret it overly literally. Then one can run into problems with their moral behavior.

3rdAngel

I believe it says personal faith not all of it. So if someone only believes in eating veggies I will be ok eating meat by my faith in God.
All genuine faith is personal and comes from believing and obeying what Gods Word says. Anything else is unbelief which is sin according to the scriptures (Romans 14:23).

Muffled

Jesus in me
And I have never claimed that the Bible is devoid of good advice. My problem is when people abuse the Bible and interpret it overly literally. Then one can run into problems with their moral behavior.
I believe you do not have the Holy Spirit so you would not be a good judge of that.

MikeDwight

The Westminster Confession of Faith​

Of the Holy Scripture
to commit the same wholly unto writing; which maketh the holy Scripture to be most necessary; those former ways of God’s revealing His will unto His people being now ceased.

1. Under the name of holy Scripture, or the Word of God written, are now contained all the books of the Old and New Testament, which are these:
Of the Old Testament Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers Deuteronomy Joshua Judges Ruth I Samuel II Samuel I Kings II Kings I Chronicles II Chronicles Ezra Nehemiah Esther Job Psalms Proverbs Ecclesiastes The Song of Songs Isaiah Jeremiah Lamentations Ezekiel Daniel Hosea Joel Amos Obadiah Jonah Micah Nahum Habakkuk Zephaniah Haggai Zechariah Malachi

Of the New Testament The Gospels according to Matthew Mark Luke John The Acts of the Apostles Paul's Epistles to the Romans Corinthians I Corinthians II Galatians Ephesians Philippians Colossians Thessalonians I Thessalonians II to Timothy I to Timothy II to Titus to Philemon The Epistle to the Hebrews The Epistle of James The First and Second Epistles of Peter The First, Second, and Third Epistles of John The Epistle of Jude The Revelation

All which are given by inspiration of God, to be the rule of faith and life.

1. The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the Canon of Scripture; and therefore are of no authority in the church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings.
  2. The authority of the holy Scripture, for which it ought to be believed and obeyed, dependeth not upon the testimony of any man or church, but wholly upon God (who is truth itself), the Author thereof; and therefore it is to be received, because it is the Word of God.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
That is an interesting question, which leads me to believe that there was some form of reasoning behind the practice. Can't figure out now what exactly it was, but I'm assuming there was some kind of reasoning behind the awful practice. People usually don't engage in horrible practices or conjured up beliefs unless they are demented, which they might have been, and/or considering some form of worship.
Plus it seems that the Almighty God, although He thought it was horrible that the Israelites practiced this, He did not miraculously step in to stop it, but it continued for a while.
The “reasoning behind it”, must have been horrendous threats of a supernatural nature that scared those parents to the extreme! It would have to be something very drastic to force parents to do that!

And we know how maliciously devious & twisted, Satan & the demons can be!

Hope you’re doing well.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The “reasoning behind it”, must have been horrendous threats of a supernatural nature that scared those parents to the extreme! It would have to be something very drastic to force parents to do that!

And we know how maliciously devious & twisted, Satan & the demons can be!

Hope you’re doing well.
Thanks, you too. Reading The book of Ezra shows how so many Israelites were unfaithful, getting involved with the practices of the nations. Very interesting.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe your belief is unfounded but mine has a sloid basis.
You need to listen. What matters is what you can support. I can show you how what I believe is probably correct.. You do not appear to do the same. In fact you appear to be a Christian who claims his own God is a liar.

YoursTrue

I consider Christ to be, first and foremost, a great moral teacher. If we all lived or tried to live according to the revolutionary principles expressed in the Sermon on the Mount, the world would be a far better place than it currently is.
It will be.

YoursTrue

Muffled

Jesus in me
You need to listen. What matters is what you can support. I can show you how what I believe is probably correct.. You do not appear to do the same. In fact you appear to be a Christian who claims his own God is a liar.
I do not believe I have ever made that claim.

I believe in certainties not probabilities. The odds are you can't show me to my satisfaction that you are correct.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe you should try that seeing as it can't be done.
Can you be honest? Can you learn? If you can do both of those things I can show you how it is myth. When you refuse to learn or refuse to be honest I will point it out to you. Do not get angry when you fail. Sounds like a deal?