• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a gay person be a "good" Christian?

Can a gay person be a "good" Christian?

• Yes

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Some of the laws were symbolic of keeping separate unto the Lord.

It did not change.
We are to offer our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to the Lord.

Paul does not say we are not to marry.

People in the Bible times were probably glad to be a slave. Being a slave gave them an income and a home.
True, and the word slave didn't mean what it did not so long ago, slave was a servant, we are all servants of god, or slaves of god.

Reactions: Yes

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
What makes you think kidnapping and forced labor is okay?

You said people were happy to be slaves because it gave them a roof and income (in biblical times), why is it different today then? Why should a homeless man not be happy to be a slave if I was giving him a roof over his head and food?

EDIT: As a clarification, I absolutely don't believe in slavery, more interested in the answer.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Some of the laws were symbolic of keeping separate unto the Lord.
That's not what the text says.
It did not change.
We are to offer our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to the Lord.
Sooo... concubines are OK, but married homosexuals aren't. How's any of that equate to offering our "bodies"??? The text simply does not say this in reference to the injunctions against homosexual acts.
Paul does not say we are not to marry.
Sure he does. He says it would be best if we didn't marry. But that's not what Jesus taught.
People in the Bible times were probably glad to be a slave.
But it's different now for poor people, eh? Maybe some people are glad to be homosexual. Your "logic" simply doesn't follow.
You are not speaking truth.
Jesus taught to repent of sins. Paul taught to repent of sins. Jesus taught forgiveness of sins through him. Paul taught forgiveness of sins through Jesus. Jesus taught obedience to his teachings. Paul taught obedience to Jesus' teachings.
The Pope teaches to repent of sin. The Pope teaches forgiveness of sin through Jesus. The Pope teaches obedience to Jesus' teachings. But, somehow, the Pope is a "false teacher." And Paul isn't. Even though Paul taught that we have righteousness through the faith of Jesus, which Jesus never taught.
We are not to judge hypocritically.
Look again. The log's still in your eye. I can see it from here.
1 Timothy 5:18
Paul didn't write 1 Timothy.

Yes

Oh how I love the Word of God!
Assuming this bit were true, wouldn't this also apply to many people of the world today?
The New Testament does not speak of acquiring slaves for ourselves; it speaks of not being a slave to sin and being a slave to righteousness.

Yes

You said people were happy to be slaves because it gave them a roof and income (in biblical times), why is it different today then? Why should a homeless man not be happy to be a slave if I was giving him a roof over his head and food?

EDIT: As a clarification, I absolutely don't believe in slavery, more interested in the answer.
The New Testament does not speak of acquiring slaves for ourselves; it speaks of not being a slave to sin and being a slave to righteousness.

There were bond slaves in the Old Testament. The slave loved his master so much that he wanted to stay willingly.

sojourner

You can believe what you want. But anyone calling someone else "false teachers", is typically false and misleading themselves.

Listen to those who are quiet and maybe you will hear something interesting.
Hah! I was simply parroting what the fundie would say.

sojourner

There were bond slaves in the Old Testament. The slave loved his master so much that he wanted to stay willingly.
Baloney! The bond slave could only be held by law for seven years. And when he was freed, he was to be provided with clothing, food, and a means of self-support.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Stockholm Syndrome is what this is.

sojourner

What makes you think kidnapping and forced labor is okay?
That's what slavery is. So the question is valid: If we kidnapped some street person, gave them room and board, and forced them to work for us, would that be OK? You seem to indicate that it would be, judging by your statement that people in bible times would probably be glad to be slaves.

Yes

Baloney! The bond slave could only be held by law for seven years. And when he was freed, he was to be provided with clothing, food, and a means of self-support.
Exodus 21:5-6 "But if the servant declares, 'I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,'then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

Yes

That's what slavery is. So the question is valid: If we kidnapped some street person, gave them room and board, and forced them to work for us, would that be OK? You seem to indicate that it would be, judging by your statement that people in bible times would probably be glad to be slaves.
Again, the New Testament does not tell us to acquire slaves. The New Testament tells us how not to be a slave to sin and to be a slave to righteousness.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Exodus 21:5-6 "But if the servant declares, 'I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,'then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

Again, this is Stockholm syndrome. We have a better understanding of the human psyche now, so this is understood, when then it was not. Which is another reason why we do not keep slaves now.

Yes

That's not what the text says.

Sooo... concubines are OK, but married homosexuals aren't. How's any of that equate to offering our "bodies"??? The text simply does not say this in reference to the injunctions against homosexual acts.
The New Testament does not tell us not to sew two different materials together.
The New Testament does tell us to marry if we are going to be sexual, and for a man to marry one woman.
Sure he does. He says it would be best if we didn't marry. But that's not what Jesus taught.
Saying it is best not to marry does not mean it is a command not to marry. What do you mean that is not what Jesus taught?

But it's different now for poor people, eh? Maybe some people are glad to be homosexual. Your "logic" simply doesn't follow.
What you said does not make sense.
The Pope teaches to repent of sin. The Pope teaches forgiveness of sin through Jesus. The Pope teaches obedience to Jesus' teachings. But, somehow, the Pope is a "false teacher."
The word 'pope' shows the person is a sinner going against the teachings of Jesus.

And Paul isn't. Even though Paul taught that we have righteousness through the faith of Jesus, which Jesus never taught.

Jesus is the Sacrificial Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. That was taught from John the baptizer about Jesus.
Look again. The log's still in your eye. I can see it from here.
You are a false judge.
Paul didn't write 1 Timothy.
Paul did write 1 Timothy.

Yes

Again, this is Stockholm syndrome. We have a better understanding of the human psyche now, so this is understood, when then it was not. Which is another reason why we do not keep slaves now.
All you got to defend your false beliefs are insults.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
All you got to defend your false beliefs are insults.

How am I being insulting you? Straw-man much? Man, you are impossible to talk to sometimes.

I merely said a slave loving their master is Stockholm Syndrome, if you don't believe me, fine, look it up yourself. Or better yet, check out the "Stanford Prison Experiment".