• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can good people go to hell?

dianaiad

Prove it that heaven is not real, you can't.

Isn't that called 'argument from ignorance,' or 'argument from silence?" claiming that if you can't prove that something does not exist, then this is proof that it does?

Sorry...but no. One cannot prove a negative, but that doesn't mean anything. You can't prove that I don't have a windmill in my front yard. That doesn't mean that I do.

dianaiad

I can prove my God does exist.
Yes I know you refuse to disprove my God existence.

You can? If you can, you are the first person I have EVER met who could do so.
Don't get me wrong, sir: I happen to have great faith that there not only is a God, but that the truth about Him is found in those beliefs I hold regarding Him.
However, my faith and belief are not empirical proof and I don't pretend that they are.

I would be very interested to see your proof.

SuzyL

I do believe there is both a heaven and a hell and we chose where we will to eternity by what we love. If we love good, we will live in heaven with others who love good things and have goodwill towards others. If we love evil and hatred, we will live in a hellish place with others who are the same. If we are like that we would not be happy with all those good people anyway. And likewise if we love good things, hell would be....hell.

dianaiad

So me and my friend were talking about religions. And he said asked me do I respect the 10 commandments and listed them. I answered yes to all. I do respect them. Then, he asked do I help other people. I answered Yes. He asked me what do I do. I said: Today I helped my brother with picking up 30 min of his trash so when he come home he doesn't have to. I also cleaned my mom's room as a surprise. altogether about 2 h. I then asked "What is hell?". He explained it and I asked who goes to hell. He said: Non-Christians. So I respect the commandmetns and am good to people (In my opinion) and I do think Jesus did miracles, but he is not the ONLY way to god, and I would go to hell. Is that correct? Just wandering, I don't really belive in hell ;)

Well, if you ask many Christians (not all), who goes to hell, they will tell you that anybody who is not 'saved' is going there. When asked to define those who are 'saved,' they generally give a list of beliefs that the heaven-bound soul must have, as well as a 'born again' experience. Since almost all of them have different ideas that must be believed according to them, then everyone is going to hell except those who specifically believe exactly what they do.

Non-Christian theists (not all, but some...including a poster here) claim that everybody goes to hell but them. I think that accounts for pretty much everybody...and everybody is going to hell.

I hope there's dancing.

(disclaimer: I, being a Mormon and all,don't think anybody is who doesn't deliberately and knowingly choose to go there,, but hey; what do I know about it?)

To answer this, I have to tell you that hell, at least as a place of eternal torture, is a Greek pagan concept, as well as an ancient Egyptian mythological condition. There are several problem with Christianity ' doctrine of hell. The first problem is foundational doctrine that people's souls live forever. This presents a major problem because the Greek and Hebrew words in the bible translated as "soul" refer to a living breathing being. Now, if the body dies, how can this make sense without twisting the English to conform to metaphysical occultism? The other problem that is created is the description of hell as an eternal place of torment. In New Testament Koine Greek, the two words translated as hell are "ge'enna" and "haides". Ge'enna was a historical location approximately 50 miles to the South of Jerusalem where the Romans and their subjects dumped their garbage and buried their dead, according to Strong's Greek Lexicon. Also, according to Strong's, "haides" has three definitions: 1, "Hades, the God of the dead"; 2, "Orcus, the eternal abode of the dead"; 3, "the grave, the pit, (later) hell". Now compare this with the meaning of hell in Hebrew (translated from the word "sheol") is "the pit, the grave (especially the grave of mankind". People will often cite the parable of the rich man and Lazarus to justify maintaining a pagan view of hell, but they take this tale literally, when in fact, a parable is full of symbolism and not a literal statement. Finally, the idea that a sinful person can be tortured in hell, apart from the influence or presence of Jesus puts mankind as having a characteristic that is unique to a deity/god, namely immortality that is not given but is within the nature of man.
So me and my friend were talking about religions. And he said asked me do I respect the 10 commandments and listed them. I answered yes to all. I do respect them. Then, he asked do I help other people. I answered Yes. He asked me what do I do. I said: Today I helped my brother with picking up 30 min of his trash so when he come home he doesn't have to. I also cleaned my mom's room as a surprise. altogether about 2 h. I then asked "What is hell?". He explained it and I asked who goes to hell. He said: Non-Christians. So I respect the commandmetns and am good to people (In my opinion) and I do think Jesus did miracles, but he is not the ONLY way to god, and I would go to hell. Is that correct? Just wandering, I don't really belive in hell ;)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Your definition of 'sin' is a bit confusing to me. Perhaps if you told me what you think 'sin' is....and what should be done about those who commit them? As for me, I believe that 'sin' is a deliberate choice to do something you honestly believe to be wrong.

Depending upon the sort of Satanist you are, I imagine that there are some acts that you would consider 'sinful,' aren't there?

Question: if someone honestly believes that helping the poor is wrong or a waste of time, and yet helped the poor, did he committ a sin?

Ciao

- viole

Demonslayer

If we love good, we will live in heaven with others who love good things and have goodwill towards others. If we love evil and hatred, we will live in a hellish place with others who are the same.

Wouldn't that be heaven in either case?

Shlomoh

It's terrible that some Xtians really belive that nonXtians go to hell. Jewish religion believes that good people go to the other place

whirlingmerc

Conscience would be one way to know 'God has placed eternity in their hearts' so says Ecclesiastes
But a conscience can be hardened and looses sensitivity as it's ignored

There is an issue what 'good people' means.
In one sense Jesus says 'only God is good'
In other uses we might say 'good dog'...
as far as heaven 'Without holiness no one will see God' so says the book of Hebrews
but that high sense the holiness needed is a fruit from God.... a fruit not the root... a result of saving faith

"your works (of faith and love) go back to the day you understood the grace of God in truth'
Colosians 1

Rapture Era

I think it depends on how you view Jesus. The question, "Who is Jesus to you?" If He is God like He claims, then it would be important to listen to what He has to say and believe what He says to be the truth. When He says no one is good, it doesnt mean that you are not a good person and you dont do good things, those good things we do for others are commendable.The Ten Commandments were given to show us that we cannot measure up to a perfect standard of making it to heaven on our own good works. If we break just one of the commandments we are guilty of sinning and will not make it to heaven. If we could, there would have been no reason for Jesus to die on the cross for the sins of mankind and a requirement to simply believe by faith who He is and that He was the perfect sacrifice to pay for our sins. He died for you and me and rose from the dead on the third day just like He said He would. The written record shows this to be true. He also said straight out, " I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to heaven except through me." So He IS saying that there is ONLY one way to heaven and that is through Him. That is a very bold statement! I dont know of any credible leader of any religious system that has ever claimed that. But, because He did, I would think that people would consider or at least look into these very important claims because if what He says is true, the fate of your eternity when you die is sealed forever and cannot be changed. Because none of us know the hour of our death, its something to think about. Those poor people in Florida went to that club to have a good time never thinking they would die that night, but they did. So, we never know at any given time when we will die. Eternity is a long time! I dont know about you , but I would rather spend it in heaven than in hell. And by the way, just because you may not believe in hell, does not mean it doesnt exist! Question is, are you really willing to take that chance? If you are willing to take that chance none of this is true, its no problem, at least not yet. If you really want to know if He is real or not, ask Him! Just say, Jesus, I dont know if you are real or not. I dont believe in hell and I'm not really sure I believe in heaven or you for that matter. But I want to know. Would make yourself known to me? Would you reveal the truth to me? He says this "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." He knows whether or not you really mean it. If you are not interested or you are so deep into your belief system that you dont really care, no problem, dont worry about it. I have heard people say, "I cant believe in a god that sends people to hell!" Well, the truth and reality is, He doesnt send anyone to hell or heaven! That is your choice! God has given everyone the choice of accepting or rejecting His free gift (Jesus' sacrifice on the cross) of eternal life or not. If you want it, He tells you how you can have it, its easy, if not, you wont, totally up to you. But if you end up in hell for rejecting His free gift, thats on you , you cant blame Him because your in hell, you made that choice. Hope this helps:relieved:

Demonslayer

And by the way, just because you may not believe in hell, does not mean it doesnt exist! Question is, are you really willing to take that chance?

Are you willing to take the chance the Hindus are right and you're praying to the wrong God?

By your logic, known as Pascal's Wager, you should be praying to every God ever known to man...just in case!

I believe hell is real because Jesus said it was.. there were his disciples who all wrote down and non believers who also hears what he said this numerous times along with his miracles, his resurrection, and his ascension into heaven. who goes there, nobody knows. definitely the angels who transgressed against God. as far as people go, we don't know what words or thoughts people spoke before they died. i have known many people who didnt believe in Jesus, until they were about to die and either it was them throwing a "hail mary" or their spirit was stirred at the last moment by God, i dont know. but, i would imagine people who are extremely wicked who have denied the spirit and who have cursed God and have given their soul to the devil. if i was guessing, maybe those people go. but again, our thoughts are not God's thoughts, so it really isn't for any of us to say except guess for conversation sake.

dianaiad

Question: if someone honestly believes that helping the poor is wrong or a waste of time, and yet helped the poor, did he committ a sin?

Ciao

- viole

Probably. I have to ask why someone who honestly thinks that helping the poor is wrong and a waste of time WOULD help them, given that helping the poor takes some sacrifice on his part. What would he get out of it? (shrug)

I think your hypothetical situation is a bit out there, though. I was thinking more along the lines of.......er........if YOU drink coffee, you are enjoying a lovely morning beverage. If I do, I'm sinning. Why? Because I promised not to drink coffee and you haven't. I'm sinning, you aren't.

I think, however, that most cultures have some very basic ideas of what 'good' is, and what "bad" is...I know of few cultures, for instance, that consider cold blooded murder to be a good thing, and so we can pretty solidly figure that murder is, mostly, a sin. I don't want to be around someone who doesn't think it is, given that I might be the one being 'done to.'

ronandcarol

Premium Member
The question that brought me here,
Can good people go to hell?
Although we are not supposed to judge anyone, I can safely say that there will be many 'good people' in hell. Considering yourself good enough is dangerous. It is not our goodness that will get us anywhere eternally. If you do not have a loving relationship with Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, I would encourage you to do all the research you can to find out what you need to know about what happens after you die! Once you take your last breath, (which are all a gift from God to begin with) you will have already made the decision as to where you will be spending Eternity. You have to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior BEFORE you leave this earth. Once you have settled that in your heart, your good works will pour out of you automatically with the help of the Holy Spirit that will work within you to prepare you for God's Holy Kingdom!
RonandCarol

I believe that hell is literal, after all our Lord Jesus preached it 46 times in the New Testament alone and my Lord doesn’t lie. Jesus described Hell as terrifying outer darkness and fire and brimstone, weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, and with no escape. No-one ever sleeps in Hell. There is no rest of any kind. And no-one can never leave. Ten million years from now, millions of souls will still be in Hell.
You have asked the question, who goes to Hell and who doesn’t? Jesus Christ has the keys of Hell and He makes the rules. Works will not get you into Heaven and will not save you. If salvation was by works, then you would never be sure when you have done enough works to get you over the line. But believing on a person will.
John 3:16 (KJV) 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
And
John 17:3 (KJV) 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
And Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation, because He is God.
Acts 4:12 (KJV) 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
I hope this helps. Christ’s prophet. Certainty for eternity