• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we have different beliefs and still have peace.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I agree spiritually we are tired but that is my belief not a fact. The very fact a Christian does not agree shatters any universal tie I believe we may have. As long as they disagree, I have no right to put them under my umbrella and tell them they have not yet seen the one truth that all religions share.

That is not my right. I feel it isn't your right. It isn't anyone's right.

That is like you going to Mass and telling the congregation you are Christian too because you believe in Christ as a friend and experience the love from Christ and believe in the Bible.

Most Catholics would probably understand where you are coming from but will disagree with you being part of the Body of Christ. That Body defines that one truth: that one humanity. If you haven't taken the sacraments of the Church, you are not Christian/Catholic.

That's a fact. It has nothing to do with what you and I believe.

We are going by their beliefs. The Buddhists. The Christian. The Muslim.

Not yours. Not mine. Not one truth. Many.

Yes that's true, they all would consider me misled and not saved. And also they view Baha'u'llah as a false Prophet too. I know that.

Christians thouh, all believe in the same Jesus and the same Bible yet are divided into over 30,000 different sects and have had wars and bloodshed over their differences so some differences are not good.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes that's true, they all would consider me misled and not saved. And also they view Baha'u'llah as a false Prophet too. I know that.

That is why there is no one truth. They disagree with you. Truth involves more than connecting to various religions outside your own.

Christians though, all believe in the same Jesus and the same Bible yet are divided into over 30,000 different sects and have had wars and bloodshed over their differences so some differences are not good.

Regardless of their history, the point is to them you are not a Christian. So there is no one truth unless there is a common foundation between the two.

What is that common foundation?

and it cannot be in the eyes of Bahaullah, The Buddha, or Christ.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
They are not secondary differences. They are primary. That is why there is no One humanity (one truth) because each person's differences are crucial and each defines humanity as a whole.

The very fact to a Christian and the Bible you are not a Christian shatters that one truth.

Whether you accept that fact or not, is your preference. My point is that because a Christian and The Bible does not see you as a follower of Christ because you are following The Buddha, Muhammad, and Bahaullah at the same time, are not Christian. Your truth is not their truth.

:fallenleaf: That does not mean there is not one truth. Your definition of one truth is making all religions under one umbrella. Most religions disagree.

:fallenleaf: Your truth is not their truth. So you can't claim there is only one because you are the only one of many Bahai, UU, and some neopagans among others who believe this.

Why don't you let Christians have their own space without claiming their truth is part of your own?​

But we do give them their space. Why do you think we call ourselves the Bahá'í Faith and them the Christian Faith? Because they do not accept Baha'u'llah so they are a different entity and have their own space.

Take the human body. It is one body made up of many different systems, organs, bones and muscles which each have their own function but they do not work in isolation to each other but jointly and unitedly to keep that one body functioning as one body.

If they don't work together as one we will die. The same spiritually. and humanity is dying spiritually.

All the religions are not separate but parts of one spiritual body of humanity and for humanity to function properly these organs need to be united.

Today the body of humanity is sick with immorality and materialism because religion is weakened by each religion going it's own way and not working as one for humanity.

The human body cannot exist unless all the different organs work together as one and humanity suffers because the religions do not all unite.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
But we do give them their space. Why do you think we call ourselves the Bahá'í Faith and them the Christian Faith? Because they do not accept Baha'u'llah so they are a different entity and have their own space.

Take the human body. It is one body made up of many different systems, organs, bones and muscles which each have their own function but they do not work in isolation to each other but jointly and unitedly to keep that one body functioning as one body.

If they don't work together as one we will die. The same spiritually. and humanity is dying spiritually.

All the religions are not separate but parts of one spiritual body of humanity and for humanity to function properly these organs need to be united.

Today the body of humanity is sick with immorality and materialism because religion is weakened by each religion going it's own way and not working as one for humanity.

The human body cannot exist unless all the different organs work together as one and humanity suffers because the religions do not all unite.

This is true. My next point is, if you believe this, you would not be Bahai, Christian, Muslim, et cetera. Truth is not through the eyes of Bahaullah, Muhammad, Jesus, and Moses.

How do you define that one truth that each religion would agree with you without using Bahaullah as a foundation for that definition?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
That is why there is no one truth. They disagree with you. Truth involves more than connecting to various religions outside your own.

Regardless of their history, the point is to them you are not a Christian. So there is no one truth unless there is a common foundation between the two.

What is that common foundation?

and it cannot be in the eyes of Bahaullah, The Buddha, or Christ.

The common foundation is we all believe in truth.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
This is true. My next point is, if you believe this, you would not be Bahai, Christian, Muslim, et cetera. Truth is not through the eyes of Bahaullah, Muhammad, Jesus, and Moses.

How do you define that one truth that each religion would agree with you without using Bahaullah as a foundation for that definition?

If seven people set out in the search of truth they would eventually arrive at the same destination for truth is one. They would find themselves united.

Yet humanity is disunited so where is truth and unity?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If seven people set out in the search of truth they would eventually arrive at the same destination for truth is one. They would find themselves united.

Yet humanity is disunited so where is truth and unity?

The point of accepting diversity is knowing that people are comfortable of not arriving at the same destination and there is peace and accord with that knowledge and acceptance.

They are still one unity and one humanity. However, each religion defines that core or tie to humanity differently. It is not disunited.

We are all different. It's not the differing beliefs that's the issue. It's when person A abuses his beliefs to force them on others that's the problem.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The point of accepting diversity is knowing that people are comfortable of not arriving at the same destination and there is peace and accord with that knowledge and acceptance.

They are still one unity and one humanity. However, each religion defines that core or tie to humanity differently. It is not disunited.

We are all different. It's not the differing beliefs that's the issue. It's when person A abuses his beliefs to force them on others that's the problem.

Yes differences of belief are fine but it's not only not forcing them on others which has a detrimental affect but when we don't work together unitedly then we can't solve humanity's problems like if the liver and kidney decided to go in opposite directions what would that do to the human body?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes differences of belief are fine but it's not only not forcing them on others which has a detrimental affect but when we don't work together unitedly then we can't solve humanity's problems like if the liver and kidney decided to go in opposite directions what would that do to the human body?
We would work together if we do not see another person's religion as a part of ours.

I do not believe in Christ, Muhammad, and John Smith. Not because they don't have anything good to say. They are inspirational people. It's because once they are part of my belief (in my heart), I am using someone else's belief that I have no right to claim. Their sacred scripture gave me no right. The body of believers did not give me that right.

The only other religion I have 100 percent right to claim is Catholicism because they believe once you are confirmed in the Church you are always Catholic. But to take their belief in Christ and put it into my religion because I claim that Christ and I see the same views is blasphemy. It's not about me.

That is abusing other people's beliefs. I dislike that heavily.

The first thing a Bahai can do to respect others beliefs is not to see Christ, Muhammad, and other educators as manifestations of Bahaullah. That sounds like the primary belief of many in Bahai. It's not immoral just it does what you are saying you don't want to do. It creates discord because the believers who know about their belief more than you do disagree with you and you don't take their disagreement into consideration.

sandycreekboy

This is one of the hot questions of the age. Throughout history our opposing beliefs have led to wars, division, hatred and prejudice - anything but peace.

However, now that we can view the entire planet as one globe and have things like the internet, are we now able to finally establish some form of peace?

What if there was only one thing you had to believe for the world to have peace. Would you embrace it? And you could get to keep your own belief as well.

If all you had to accept was that all humans are your equal could you do that? Could you accept all humanity as your equal?

Sounds easy doesn't it? But in practise we have been unable to do it without allowing our nationality, race, religion or culture to interfere causing further conflict.

So whatever our religion or as an atheist or any other position are we aware we might be erecting barriers unknowingly between us and our fellow man?

Isn't peace up to all of us and not just the politicians? Shouldn't our attitude be one of unconditional acceptance of one another if we really want peace? We don't have to always agree but shouldn't we be tolerant?

b2c31caf3131694f4d8f1cd71a8f6d10.png
yes

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
What source is that?

It's a spiritual and mystical source that we experience within us. Some call it Nibbana, others salvation, others say it's an awareness or consciousness but whatever it's all the same thing but we describe it in different ways.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
We would work together if we do not see another person's religion as a part of ours.

I do not believe in Christ, Muhammad, and John Smith. Not because they don't have anything good to say. They are inspirational people. It's because once they are part of my belief (in my heart), I am using someone else's belief that I have no right to claim. Their sacred scripture gave me no right. The body of believers did not give me that right.

The only other religion I have 100 percent right to claim is Catholicism because they believe once you are confirmed in the Church you are always Catholic. But to take their belief in Christ and put it into my religion because I claim that Christ and I see the same views is blasphemy. It's not about me.

That is abusing other people's beliefs. I dislike that heavily.

The first thing a Bahai can do to respect others beliefs is not to see Christ, Muhammad, and other educators as manifestations of Bahaullah. That sounds like the primary belief of many in Bahai. It's not immoral just it does what you are saying you don't want to do. It creates discord because the believers who know about their belief more than you do disagree with you and you don't take their disagreement into consideration.

We don't say the other Educators are Manifestations of Baha'u'llah, Christ is Christ and Buddha is Buddha. We accept a Them as independent Teachers Who brought Their own Teachings and religion. We just accept Them all that's all. Acceptance in our hearts and minds.

So do you mean I am not allowed to believe in Buddha or Christ? That I should not accept their religions as true and only believe the Bahai Faith is true?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's a spiritual and mystical source that we experience within us. Some call it Nibbana, others salvation, others say it's an awareness or consciousness but whatever it's all the same thing but we describe it in different ways.

It's not. Nibanna is a Buddhist belief that is liberation of the mind not the heart and not from sin

Salvation has nothing to do with the mind or the person but an outside person and/or entity. It is not a consciousness. Salvation in Christianity is via a person. So the experience and definition is not the same as nibanna.

Without mentioning Buddhism, Christianity, and Bahai, if there is a common foundation and one truth that each of these religious do not know yet, what is that truth? Can it be defined?

I guess another way to put it, if nibana and salvation are different names of the same thing (pronouns, let's say), what are they different names of? What's the noun?

How do you define truth that all religions agree to not just your own?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you for the clarification.
So do you mean I am not allowed to believe in Buddha or Christ?

You can believe in The Buddha and Christ.

I'm just saying it's illogical from the Buddhist and Christian point of view to call yourself Buddhist and Christian because you believe in the message of both parties. It goes beyond belief. You call yourself Bahai.

That alone excludes you from being part of the body of Christ.

That's the meaning of the Bible in Christianity is being part of the Body of Christ. You have to be accepted by the members of Christ. This does not mean reading the Bible for inspiration and believing in how you view Christ's message.

It's not a loner faith. So you can believe in Christ but to believe he is your savior, you have to believe in him only and not the interpretations of Bahaullauh and so forth.

That I should not accept their religions as true and only believe the Bahai Faith is true?
That's a conflicting statement since Bahai believe all religions are true.

I'm saying as long as a Christian, the Bible, and the body of Christ does not see you as Christian because you do not believe jesus as your lord and savior only then in my personal opinion, if you accept Christianity, how is that logical given you're not part of the body of Christ?​

My overall point:

That's like befriending my family, siting with us at our dinner table, loving my family, and then call yourself part of our family even though our family never called you part of ours.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
It's not. Nibanna is a Buddhist belief that is liberation of the mind not the heart and not from sin

Salvation has nothing to do with the mind or the person but an outside person and/or entity. It is not a consciousness. Salvation in Christianity is via a person. So the experience and definition is not the same as nibanna.

Without mentioning Buddhism, Christianity, and Bahai, if there is a common foundation and one truth that each of these religious do not know yet, what is that truth? Can it be defined?

I guess another way to put it, if nibana and salvation are different names of the same thing (pronouns, let's say), what are they different names of? What's the noun?

How do you define truth that all religions agree to not just your own?

All religionists have mystical experiences. They all experience truth. It is an inner reality that is discovered. Although it is called by different names by different faiths, it is one reality that they all experience.

That's why each religion insists it is the truth but what they can't accept is that other religions with a different outward name and Founder have discovered the same truth and the same Reality.

So back to the sun. Everyone wears different colored glasses so one says the sun is red, the other blue and another yellow and they all insist that the colour they saw was the only one.

But although they all looked through different glasses and the sun appeared different to them, they were all looking at the same sun.

All the religions today are seeing the same thing but denying that others see it and so claim they have the only truth but they are all true. For They all see the same truth but perceive it in different words and express it differently.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Thank you for the clarification.

You can believe in The Buddha and Christ.

I'm just saying it's illogical from the Buddhist and Christian point of view to call yourself Buddhist and Christian because you believe in the message of both parties. It goes beyond belief. You call yourself Bahai.

That alone excludes you from being part of the body of Christ.

That's the meaning of the Bible in Christianity is being part of the Body of Christ. You have to be accepted by the members of Christ. This does not mean reading the Bible for inspiration and believing in how you view Christ's message.

It's not a loner faith. So you can believe in Christ but to believe he is your savior, you have to believe in him only and not the interpretations of Bahaullauh and so forth.

That's a conflicting statement since Bahai believe all religions are true.

I'm saying as long as a Christian, the Bible, and the body of Christ does not see you as Christian because you do not believe jesus as your lord and savior only then in my personal opinion, if you accept Christianity, how is that logical given you're not part of the body of Christ?​

My overall point:

That's like befriending my family, siting with us at our dinner table, loving my family, and then call yourself part of our family even though our family never called you part of ours.

Yes I agree and understand what you are saying. We don't say that Jesus is the only true savior but that the other Teachers are His equal are equal so we are not considered Christians by Christians.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
All the religions today are seeing the same thing but denying that others see it and so claim they have the only truth but they are all true. For They all see the same truth but perceive it in different words and express it differently.

Denial, don't accept, haven't found the truth yet, words and phrases bother me. It's saying that they haven't found the truth you found, type of thing.

Sun glasses...

Muslims, Christians, Jews do not believe they are wearing sunglasses and seeing different colors of the same reality. That's all Bahai and UU. They say that they do not need sun glasses. What they believe, they say is reality and other people are seeing false images.

They are not misguided. They are not in denial. They just see reality differently.

Who has the knowledge to claim there is one reality without depending on a specific religion Bahai, Christian, etc? How did they get that knowledge?