• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinal Pell and Evolution

Bthoth

I believe I don't admit I am wrong by doing that. I don't believe learning falsehoods does me any good.
The very first falsehood is believing that a god wrote any line in any theology.

A perfect example: is the commandments themselves. They did not impose themselves to stone or come from a god. They are man made and existed for over a 1000 yrs before the torah was even written.

Same with NT, jesus never wrote a word of the dialogue and the only time a christian will consider that line of thought is when Jesus is quoted as claiming 'why do thou call me good, only one is good, god" ... that line is in 2 different books and it's the about the only line that christians will discount of bible.

Audie

Veteran Member
I believe I don't have bias. I may have preconceived ideas based on the rest of the Bible but that means my interpretation is informed.
Preconceived ideas based on a single
source, certainty that you and your
source are immune to error go far beyond
mere " bias".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe I don't have bias. I may have preconceived ideas based on the rest of the Bible but that means my interpretation is informed.
It in no way does that. If you want to use the Bible as a basis for your beliefs to use it in a debate requires a rather heavy burden of proof. And that you refuse to see the obvious problems with the Bible tells us that you have a poor understanding of that book and therefore you are still uninformed.

Brian2

Veteran Member
The very first falsehood is believing that a god wrote any line in any theology.

A perfect example: is the commandments themselves. They did not impose themselves to stone or come from a god. They are man made and existed for over a 1000 yrs before the torah was even written.

Same with NT, jesus never wrote a word of the dialogue and the only time a christian will consider that line of thought is when Jesus is quoted as claiming 'why do thou call me good, only one is good, god" ... that line is in 2 different books and it's the about the only line that christians will discount of bible.

Christians believe Jesus is good.

Bthoth

They also believe in a world wide flood.
floods do occur all over the world.

That the bad arse little mexican kid El Ninos, had a baby named Otis that was possibly just spinning on tequila. A fight broke out and Otis kicked Acapulco in the hoo hoo's.

Hurricane Otis unleashes massive flooding in Acapulco ...

Devastating power of Hurricane Otis surprises scientists ...​

EL PAÍS English
https://english.elpais.com › International

3 days ago — People stand near street stalls damaged by Hurricane Otis in Acapulco, in the Mexican State of Guerrero, October 25, 2023 .

Audie

Veteran Member
floods do occur all over the world.

That the bad arse little mexican kid El Ninos, had a baby named Otis that was possibly just spinning on tequila. A fight broke out and Otis kicked Acapulco in the hoo hoo's.

Hurricane Otis unleashes massive flooding in Acapulco ...

Devastating power of Hurricane Otis surprises scientists ...

EL PAÍS English
https://english.elpais.com › International

3 days ago — People stand near street stalls damaged by Hurricane Otis in Acapulco, in the Mexican State of Guerrero, October 25, 2023 .
As if I don't know that, don't have a bachelors in
geology, or that various local floods have
any relevance to Christians believing anything
as idiotic as world wide flood.

So what point do you wish to make?

Bthoth

As if I don't know that, don't have a bachelors in
geology, or that various local floods have
any relevance to Christians believing anything
as idiotic as world wide flood.

So what point do you wish to make?
many people believe many things. But with more knowledge, far more comprehension of real world.

joelr

I disagree with that
That doesn't make it false. Most historical scholars agree Christianity is a mystery religion.

The Religious Context of Early Christianity
A Guide to Graeco-Roman Religions
HANS-JOSEF KLAUCK
Professor of New Testament Exegesis, University of Munich, Germany

Mystery Religions

The ( )is a Greek mystery religion term.
In Plato's Symposium Socrates relates that the seeress Diotima has told him that he can indeed be initiated (puTiGeiqs) into the eros of philosophical thinking, but she does not know whether he will attain the higher stages of initiation, namely perfection ((reXea) and the mysterious vision (eTTOTTTiKd, Symp. 28 [209e-210a]). The path of philosophical knowledge resembles the gradual penetration into the (puarfipiov), and this surrounds philosophy with the aura of a religious consecration, no doubt a primary aim here. Detached from cultic practices, the concept of mystery takes on more the sense of a secret teaching. Along complex paths, the concept of (puarqpiov) entered the theological vocabulary of Judaism and Christianity too. The bridge was built in the Hellenistic-Jewish wisdom literature. In the Book of Wisdom we find both polemic against the pagan cults and the adaptation of (puCTTqpiov) to the author's own theological langu^e. Wis 14:15 is polemic: 'A father, consumed with grief at an untimely bereavement, made an image of his child, who had been suddenly taken from him; he now honoured as a god what was once a dead human being, and handed on to his dependants secret rites (puaTi^pia) and initiations (TeXerds)', as is 14:23: 'For whether they kill children in their initiations (TeXerds), or celebrate secret mysteries (puari^pia), or hold frenzied revels with strange customs'. Wis 12:3fif. anachronistically makes use of the vocabulary of the mysteries, when it castigates the worship of idols by the Canaanites whom the people of Israel found when they took possession of the land: 'Those who lived long ago in your holy land you hated for their detestable practices, their works of sorcery and unholy rites, their merciless slaughter of children, and their sacrificial feasting on human flesh and blood.' We find the positive reception of the terminology at Wis 2:22, where it is stated that the fools 'did not know the secret purposes of God', and at 6:22: 'I will tell you what wisdom is and how she came to be, and I will hide no secrets from you, but I will ... make knowledge of her clear', and 8:4, where Wisdom is called 'an initiate (puCTTis)' in the knowledge of God.

Dr Carrier also gives many examples in his book.

38:50 Mysteries in scripture

1C. 4:1 We are entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed

R. 11:25 (Do not) be ignorant of this mystery

R. 16:25 (the) message I proclaim about Jesus Christ is in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past but now revealed

1C. 2:6, 7 (We) speak a message of wisdom among the mature….(and) declare God’s wisdom, a. Mystery that has been hidden

1C. 15:51 Listen I will tell you a mystery: we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed

1C. 3:1-2 I could not address you as people who live by the spirit but as people who are still worldly - mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. (Milk and solid food is mystery cult terminology)

H. 5:13-14 Anyone living on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for that mature. (Clearly conceiving the religion in mystery terms)

Mark 4:11-12 (Jesus) told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables, so (they won’t understand)”

Dead giveaway Mark is conceiving the teachings in mystery cult terms

Jews were forced there. Probably those writings were their, or influenced by them.

I don't think you actually care at all about what is true. You are forcing solutions with zero care about it's plausability.
The Mesopotamian versions of the flood and creation story are up to 1 thousand years older.

The exile was in 600 BCE and they were exposed to the stories then. That is when Genesis was written as well.

I don't believe their context is older.
Egypt and Mesopotamia are older by thousands of years. Again, why bother going to a debate forum if you just say "no" based on nothing?
Why are you even discussing this with me if you are not going to demonstrate these beliefs with evidence?
AGAIN, having a belief doesn't make something true.

2nd millennium BCE IS OLDER:
A large part of this section is a recasting of a second-millennium BCE Egyptian work, the Instruction of Amenemope, and may have reached the Hebrew author(s) through an Aramaic translation.
The "wisdom" genre was widespread throughout the ancient Near East, and reading Proverbs alongside the examples recovered from Egypt and Mesopotamia reveals the common ground shared by international wisdom

I think it can be that at one point God had not used the name Yahweh for them. It is not a contradiction, if it is told that later he used that name for them. Crucial is not is it said in Genesis or Exodus, but about what tie period they are speaking of.
At Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine you can read Bart Ehrmans book Jesus Interrupred, he goes over hundreds os major contradictions.

Is it really not possible that they got new?
No, it's more likely it's just a story, made up by people.

A person that doesn't undertake any actions, is neither good nor evil.
I disagree with that. Person who has not undertaken any actions, has just not done anything yet. His mind could still be evil and full of evil plans just waiting the opportune moment to do them.
So the exact opposite of your last statement is true. Actions DO define a person.
no, we can see from actions what kind of person one is, but the reason for the actions was the mind. The mind defined the actions.
Hitler was evil. Why? WW2, racist policies, holocaust.
I would rather say, because Hitler was evil, he did many evil deeds.
They weren't evil people when they were 5 years old and normal kids who hadn't engaged in any evil behavior yet.
They could have been, but it came visible after what they did.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I disagree with that. Person who has not undertaken any actions, has just not done anything yet.

Which literally means that person didn't engage in neither good nor evil behavior.......

His mind could still be evil and full of evil plans just waiting the opportune moment to do them.

So in your opinion a person can be evil while never having done any evil thing?
That makes no sense to me at all.

no, we can see from actions what kind of person one is, but the reason for the actions was the mind. The mind defined the actions.

You are just confirming what I said. You require the actions to define the person's character.
The behaviour is what can be good or evil. And that judgement is then projected upon the person.

So the person's moral value, is the sum of his / her behavior.

I would rather say, because Hitler was evil, he did many evil deeds.

Ok. Show me an evil person that hasn't done evil things.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
If person would not be evil, he would not do evil things. The point is, all actions come from persons mind. If one has evil mind, he does also evil actions. Actions are only result of what the person is. Similarly as a fruit doesn't define a tree, actions doesn't really define person. Actions only tell what kind of person one is, similarly as a fruit tells what kind of tree it's producer is. If ones actions are evil, it is because of what kind of person he is.
So what is an "evil action?" Is it the same as a "wrong" thing? Or something else?

I would say one's actions do help define them. At least, to those around them.
That is the problem of reading just one line, ignoring the rest and forming a religion of ignorance around it.
Um, it's more than one line. Notice how you're going out of your way to avoid what it clearly says.