• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Orders Student to Alter Religious Views on Homosexuality, Or Be Dismissed

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
You could say that about anyone. Say you are a biology major but express views that you admire Hitler, would the university be justified in dismissing you?
No, because they have nothing to do with Biology. OTOH, if you said that despite your Biology classes, you believe that God magically poofed two of each kind into existence 6000 years ago, they university would be justified in refusing to graduate you with a degree in Biology, especially if you insisted on your freedom to give those answers on exams, and to teach them as representing modern Biology.
If you turn out to be a third reich nut job that's not going to reflect well on the university, but does that really have any bearing on your chosen profession or degree?
No. Now, if you want a degree in history, and you deny the holocaust ever happened, that would be different.

Smoke

Done here.
You could say that about anyone. Say you are a biology major but express views that you admire Hitler, would the university be justified in dismissing you? If you turn out to be a third reich nut job that's not going to reflect well on the university, but does that really have any bearing on your chosen profession or degree?

It's not the fact that her personal religious beliefs are twisted that's the issue. The issue is that they prevent her from being an ethical therapist. Admiring Hitler has no bearing on your ability to understand biology, so sure, you can be a Nazi and get a degree. However, if you write a thesis claiming that Hitler was a Native American woman named Yellow Bird, you aren't going to get your Ph.D. in history because you are -- like the woman in question -- incompetent in your chosen field. And if you sue because your religion teaches that Hitler was a Native American woman named Yellow Bird, and you think the university ought to respect that, then you're a fool into the bargain.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Link

So, what do we think? Does the school have the right to take this action? Are they wrong for trying to expel her from the program?
I don't know...maybe she should diligently wait for Jesus instead of hating homos. Whats the point of getting a degree anyway? She'll live happily forever in heaven in her anti-agnostic believes and the world she hates is gonna end soon anyway.
In anycase, as usual, she is a hypocrite and should perhaps go to get a Christian counseling degree from her church or other private university with different standards on what it means to have a counseling degree from their school.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
You could say that about anyone. Say you are a biology major but express views that you admire Hitler, would the university be justified in dismissing you? If you turn out to be a third reich nut job that's not going to reflect well on the university, but does that really have any bearing on your chosen profession or degree?
actually it would if said Nazi sympathizer also believed in Nazi Darwinianism contrary to his biology major.

brbubba

Underling
Clearly I need to leave the party, as everyone seems to be having so much fun without me. ;)

Bottom line for me. Expressing an opinion vs practicing or intent to practice that opinion are two different things. If the university can fully prove that she had planned intent to practice her conversion therapy and other like minded "therapies" then they are right to condemn her. If not, then I think she should be vindicated.

A

angellous_evangellous

Clearly I need to leave the party, as everyone seems to be having so much fun without me. ;)

Bottom line for me. Expressing an opinion vs practicing or intent to practice that opinion are two different things. If the university can fully prove that she had planned intent to practice her conversion therapy and other like minded "therapies" then they are right to condemn her. If not, then I think she should be vindicated.

If someone doesn't have a basic understanding of science, they don't have any business in the field.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of seminaries and divinity schools that might be happy to take her into their many ministry degrees.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If someone doesn't have a basic understanding of science, they don't have any business in the field.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of seminaries and divinity schools that might be happy to take her into their many ministry degrees.

Yes.

And I should sue the pants off them if they try to deny me one of their degrees just because I told them I plan on teaching Tantric techniques in meditation. That's discrimination! :D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
You should sue the tants off of them! :D

Divinity faculty boards with tants? Dude, if that's true, that would be awesome, and I'd only sue them to make a statement. :D

BTW, I can't frubal you since I'm out. Accept a Big Squishy Hug instead? :hugehug:

Smoke

Done here.
Her intent is not, or should not, be at issue. It's not the job of university officials to read minds or to see the future. The issue is her inability to successfully complete the program.