• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin's Illusion

cladking

In keeping with what I just wrote above, I've decided that by change, you must mean instantaneous change, or the smallest change perceptible. You don't recognize the accumulation of these changes over longer durations as changes, but as many sudden changes.

Yes. essentially this is true. You can't step into the same river twice but the river only changes its course rarely. when the course does change it changes very suddenly cutting off backwaters and leaving winding lakes and ponds.

If you look at reality as accumulations of little changes and look at experiment as many explanations for the nature of reality then you miss the big picture entirely. Science reduces reality to experiment but never reassembles it into a coherent whole. each individual must attempt this. Meanwhile every other lifeform on the planet sees only the picture and thinks only in terms of the big picture.

We are an entirely different species with and entirely different means of thinking and a past that is invisible to us. We simply can't understand the nature of thought, reality, or life because we build models of its parts rather than seeing it directly.

cladking

Does that resonate with you at all?

Yes!

It is exactly right however it's not expressed in a way I would say it and it's from your perspective.

With our species assumptions are "everything" but so too is perspective. One might say that beliefs/ assumptions/ models determine our perspective. Because we see only what we believe everything we see is defined by a "perspective" of those beliefs. But "perspective" goes much further than merely being determined by beliefs because we don't look at things from the inside like other consciousness. Instead we try to "wrap our minds around them". If a "hammer" comes to mind we'll think of a device for pounding in nails but another consciousness would see it as a device to focus and amplify the kinetic energy from a hand. And when the word "hammer" appeared in a sentence it would represent this concept rather than being a symbol of a device typically used to drive nails.

This mode of thought is exceedingly difficult and I don't really try because I have the wrong operating system (language) for it. But this kind of thought is more easily modeled and these models provide a different perspective.

Right or wrong from this perspective one can see that all individuals are fit and change in species appears to be sudden and the result of unusual behavior at bottlenecks.

cladking

If you don't mind my discussing you like an object of study, I ask myself why he keeps making these kinds of statements even after being told that they are ineffective and what would be effective instead - the identification of specific problem that support that conclusion, and an explanation of why you see them as problems and how your revision might remedy them. So why do you keep doing this?

It's not like he hasn't heard these questions before including his "entire" life. I think the answer is two-fold. He is not that good at communicating and the language in which he's trying to communicate is normally parsed wrong. The other reason (and this one is more fundamental) is that what he is trying to communicate lies outside most peoples' experience and beliefs leading to a much higher probability of parsing everything wrong. To say what he's trying to say takes the heart of a poet and the skill of an author. I have only the former.
Could it be that you don't understand what is being asked of you? Maybe, but you ought to have a sense that you're not meeting those requirements and explain why you think you needn't, but you don't acknowledge this gap in your writing.

I can't use modern electronics. Bill Gates made these for use by logical thinkers and intuitive thinkers simply can't understand the directions because you must understand the entire thing before any of it makes sense. Of course having used the old analog cameras, alarm clocks, and the like in the old days also creates negative transference. There's nothing in the directions that is "wrong" or "misleading"; but they are all written by people who think logically and try to explain it logically. Usually I have trouble even turning the stuff on because they don't even come on immediately or acknowledge you're trying to turn them on. By then I've turned it off again a few times and gone to get the tools to fix it.

This concept of needing to keep it all in mind at the same time is the problem. Just as camera directions are now an entirely different way of looking at things, my "theory" is an entirely different way of seeing things. Each axiom, corollary, and definition must be held in mind. And by the same token while I can support any part of it, I can not support the whole. It must stand or fall on the basis of its parts.

I don't believe the theory is in the least complex, reality is complex. If I can do it, if I can see it then it must be pretty simple. But it's very different so it's very hard to communicate.

cladking

Anyway, I have no answer here. I don't see why you persist like this or how it serves you. Here's another insight this activity has given me: I probably never will. I would need you to explain your thinking and your thoughts on why you choose this path, and in my experience, that doesn't happen. Maybe you and I can change that this time. I'd need you to be on board, to understand what I'm asking, and help me understand your choices.

I normally avoid addressing such things because I don't like to provide personal details for many many reasons.

Suffice to say that from a young age I simply didn't learn like other people do. There were obviously problems with things I was being told. There were discrepancies with observation. People used a dozen words when a few were enough. People would converse on different topics at the same time. I took things under advisement. Rather than accepting my parent's insistence that something existed or was performed in a particular manner I filed it away until the day it would fit what I had already accepted. In school I'd parrot back what the teachers wanted rather than answer the test questions. I normally could parse the intent of the question correctly.

This intentional habit of accepting only what fit my existing beliefs has led me in a different direction. I believe that because my initial assumptions were correct there is some likelihood that what I have found is correct. Where Darwin began at bad assumptions, perhaps I did not. The world might be much different than it appears to all of us. We believe we experience consciousness yet don't even have a definition beyond the circular reasoning of "I think therefore I am". I believe we experience only thought and that thought is derived not from consciousness per se or from the brain but rather is indirectly produced by language. "Thought" is the comparison of sensory input to existing beliefs.

We're literally at the threshold of "artificial intelligence". Just today many powerful people have asked the government to step in and put a moratorium on this research. Well I seriously doubt AI is more than a dead end the fact is machine intelligence is in our future and will be an existential threat to the species. We gotta get our minds right, our dirt out of boss Keane's ditch, and get over this failure to communicate BEFORE machine intelligence comes into existence.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I normally avoid addressing such things because I don't like to provide personal details for many many reasons.
I understand, but I was hoping that you would explain your reason for your repeated return to broad, unevidenced pronouncements after being informed that they are ineffective. Maybe you thought otherwise. Maybe you didn't care. Maybe you didn't understand what an evidence argument is. And maybe you would help me understand which so that we could address it at that level.
People used a dozen words when a few were enough.
I find the opposite to be the problem. There seem to be an optimal number of ideas that need to be expressed when making a comment, more words adding no additional clarity, and fewer introducing some ambiguity. My wife has a little trouble seeing the big picture when telling a story, and doesn't have a sense for others need to hear for her account to connect. Several times a week, I have to ask her why she made that particular comment in the context of the present discussion, and she provides the missing connection that she didn't realize she left out.

And I can't tell you how often I shake my head reading an email from a friend that requires me to go back and ask for disambiguation.

An anecdote on optimization. In medicine, sometimes people would come to me with the complaint that they were on too much medicine. I asked them what the right amount of medicine was, and of course, they had no answer. I explained that it's the combination of agents which, if one more were added would add nothing except maybe harm, and if one were deleted would leave the patient worse off. Then I would ask which of their meds they considered unnecessary or harmful. I would agree with them sometimes, and we would try discontinuing one that seemed to add nothing and see if there was a loss of benefit. Often, it's difficult to tell what another clinician was thinking when he added a beta blocker, for example. But often it was clear that discontinuing a medication would lead to net harm. So I'd ask, would you like me to discontinue the supplemental estrogen that's preventing those hot flashes, or maybe the atorvastatin keeping your LDL cholesterol normal?
This intentional habit of accepting only what fit my existing beliefs has led me in a different direction.
I hope you mean that you rejected that kind of thinking. You're describing the plight of the poor faith-based thinker cocooned in a faith-based confirmation bias, for whom seeing is believing (empiricism) no longer applies, but rather, believing is seeing.
The world might be much different than it appears to all of us.
I'm sure it is, but we can deal with that. We must.
We believe we experience consciousness yet don't even have a definition beyond the circular reasoning of "I think therefore I am"
I have a useful definition of consciousness. I don't have any trouble recognizing it in myself or inferring its presence in others. I don't know its composition or why it occurs, but once again, like all others, I soldier on, because I must. These are not vexing problems to me. I'd love answers, but don't expect to ever have them, and am OK with that, and find no need to change my way of navigating reality because of it, which is empirical.
"Thought" is the comparison of sensory input to existing beliefs.
That's some of it. It's the "evidence of" part experiencing evidence (sensory input) - what is it evidence of, what does it signify, and then, how we feel about it. I posted this recently in one of the threads. Apologies if it was this one:

The analytical faculty has one purpose - to tell us what is true about the world using information accumulated through the senses. How we feel about it varies from individual to individual. And it is that affective addition that determines the quality of our conscious experience. Does it make us feel frightened or secure? Do we experience beauty or repulsion. Are we enjoying the weather or scattering for shelter. Do we feel connected to our environment and neighbors or alienated. None of that is rational. None is solved or calculated. It is discovered.​
This has been my approach to navigating life. What is true about the world, how does it work, and what circumstances are desirable so that the knowledge of how things work and what outcomes can be expected in various circumstances can be applied to curating and managing that conscious experience. The life we aim for is generally the one where we feel safe, secure, loved, have leisure and freedom from want, anxiety, fear, loneliness, regret, shame and the like. We don't come to that knowledge except through trial-and-error, which means making mistakes and learning from them (empiricism).​

But there is much more to thought than that. We have intuitions, desires, and creative urges. We enjoy fiction and music.
We gotta get our minds right, our dirt out of boss Keane's ditch, and get over this failure to communicate BEFORE machine intelligence comes into existence.
Of course, I recognize the reference. I was born in 1954, and the images of women that were burned into my young peripubertal mind are from that era - the mid-sixties - including the car wash scene in Cool Hand Luke. Also, Barbarella floating head over heels while undressing was seared in. The bare breasts in a love scene in Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet hypnotized me for months or years. And Ginger and Maryanne on Gilligan's Island, the wife in Mr. Ed (never understood why he spent so much time in the barn when she was in the house), and Billie Jo on Petticoat Junction were major influences as well. And don't get me started on Jeannie. LOL. How's that for a use for thought?

cladking

I hope you mean that you rejected that kind of thinking. You're describing the plight of the poor faith-based thinker cocooned in a faith-based confirmation bias, for whom seeing is believing (empiricism) no longer applies, but rather, believing is seeing.

You're forgetting that our species is homo circularis ratiocinatio if I am correct: We all reason in circles but nobody else ever seems to notice.

I'm not claiming to be a new species. I'm claiming to have started with true assumptions where Darwin began with false assumptions.

cladking

I find the opposite to be the problem. There seem to be an optimal number of ideas that need to be expressed when making a comment, more words adding no additional clarity, and fewer introducing some ambiguity. My wife has a little trouble seeing the big picture when telling a story, and doesn't have a sense for others need to hear for her account to connect. Several times a week, I have to ask her why she made that particular comment in the context of the present discussion, and she provides the missing connection that she didn't realize she left out.

And I can't tell you how often I shake my head reading an email from a friend that requires me to go back and ask for disambiguation.

An anecdote on optimization. In medicine, sometimes people would come to me with the complaint that they were on too much medicine. I asked them what the right amount of medicine was, and of course, they had no answer. I explained that it's the combination of agents which, if one more were added would add nothing except maybe harm, and if one were deleted would leave the patient worse off. Then I would ask which of their meds they considered unnecessary or harmful. I would agree with them sometimes, and we would try discontinuing one that seemed to add nothing and see if there was a loss of benefit. Often, it's difficult to tell what another clinician was thinking when he added a beta blocker, for example. But often it was clear that discontinuing a medication would lead to net harm. So I'd ask, would you li

I would literally be on 100's of medications if I took everything prescribed (or died before I could). But, I was very careful in what I took and have worked hard to reduce and eliminate ones I must take. I'm down to only three or four Rx's and three or four OTC that I take regularly. I hope to be down to 2 and 3 in the near future and to not need some more of the "as needed".

Just as meds have an unknown effect on each individual and unknown interactions in the here and now and that change suddenly over time because of physiological changes caused by such things as diet and aging, words have an unknown effect on others. No matter how something is phrased it will be misinterpreted. The problem here is that you must accept what I'm saying to see what I'm thinking. This doesn't mean that I believe I am right about everything I say or I believe you should. it means I speak in tautologies to communicate. Once you understand the point we can go back and see if those "tautologies" are actually true. If I say "everybody sees what he believes" then you should take it as "gospel" at least until you get to the end of the sentence or thought. Then we can go back and I will support the tautologies as needed. If I say "metaphysics" is defined the basis of science then that should be taken as gospel forever; ie- every single time I use the word "metaphysics" you must parse it as "basis of science". Anything else is word games. Words must have definitions. We are not allowed to change other peoples' definitions. Some things are true by definition. If I say this then that really is gospel until such time as someone shows I made an error. If it seems not to be true then you are probably parsing it wrong. Saying a triangle has three sides by definition should not attract gainsayers but such things do.

I speak in declarative sentences because it's the only way I know how to talk. If it helps the reader is welcome to append "I believe" to the start of every sentence and sentence fragment. It really won't affect the meaning very often. I've said many time homo omnisciencis is a product of each individual's beliefs and I am no different. I simply have different beliefs like reality is as we see it, everyone makes sense, and cause muust precede effect.....

At the heart of metaphysics are old wives' tales about thinking because we exist and human progress is linear. I don't share any of these beliefs that underlie most peoples' realities. I don't believe in survival of the fittest and I don't believe placebo effect can only be turned on by a sugar pill or turned off by removing it from a regimen. I believe all of reality always affects all of reality and every experiment applies to all of realty all of the time.

All of my axioms, definitions, corollaries, and assumptions are different. I do not believe in "Peers" and do not believe that any of us can directly view reality. ancient people named "reality"; "amun", which meant "The Hidden" because they saw it only in glimpses. We can't see it at all because we see our beliefs instead.

If you don't understand life is consciousness I don't believe you can understand how species change.

I'm always looking for new ways to say these things.

cladking

And don't get me started on Jeannie. LOL. How's that for a use for thought?

Barbara Eden wasn't the prettiest or most beautiful woman ever lived but for many many years she was the hottest woman alive.

The purpose of science is to make prediction. Having proper theory aids in making good prediction.

One of my many hypotheses is that if men knew how to impress women we'd still be living in caves and eating raw meat. But instead we go out and invent things trying to impress them or to get enough loot to impress them. If there were no Barbara Eden there would be no reason to get out of bed in the morning... ...No, wait... ...you know what I mean.

Audie

Veteran Member
You're forgetting that our species is homo circularis ratiocinatio if I am correct: We all reason in circles but nobody else ever seems to notice.

I'm not claiming to be a new species. I'm claiming to have started with true assumptions where Darwin began with false assumptions.
You are wrong.

Can't even learn that it's Homo not homo.
You will not be ready to advance knowledge till you
catch up on beginner- basics.

cladking

You are wrong.

I don't believe there's anything about Man that warrants capitalization and I don't even believe in taxonomies.

To me Peking is the capital of China since they never changed the name and adolph hitler led Germany. Ever since the tower of babel it's been nothing but confusion and murder.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
You are wrong.

Even if I made some claim about not believing in taxonomies for no good reason, I wouldn't rub the noses of others in that as if I were a genius for that position. I certainly wouldn't make up taxonomic nomenclatures that don't exist and the pretend they do while destroying my own claim of not believing in them.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Change in location is a change in a living thing.

A monarch butterfly changes its location from the northern part of its range to Mexico, about 3,000 miles, in 2 months.

Not sudden.
That is fascinating. I can only guess some would think that their little brains evolved to get them to migrate that way.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Lake Victoria in Africa is around 15,000 years old. It is home to as many as 700 endemic species of cichlid fish. Not only that, but there are several endemic genera. So not only did these species evolve in 15,000 years, but so did a number of new genera. Some of the fastest evolution so far recorded, but...you guessed it...Not Sudden.

And this is a twofer, since creationists deny that evolution at the scale of species and above can occur. Well, here is the evidence that it did.
They still remained fish, didn't they?