• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating Preferences: Bigotry or a Right?

Is the dating preference described in the OP a form of bigotry or not?

• Total voters

Parsimony

If it were a particular person, not bigotry. A whole group of people based on a particular trait, along with words reflecting intolerance, equals mild bigotry, as previously explained.
You can find an entire group of people unattractive without being intolerant towards them.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's a lack of belief.

A baseless lack.

The OP set up the goal posts. Would you like me to re-quote that? Sexual preference, in and of itself, doesn't imply intolerance. The OP assertion did.

In another thread, the issue of dating preferences came up, and some posts stated that a heterosexual man's refusal to date a transgendered person because the latter has a penis is transphobic. Since I'm open to reconsidering my positions in light of reasoned arguments, I would like to hear others' thoughts on this.

Is having dating preferences such as the above a form of bigotry or a right?

Please discuss.

This is the OP. Which assertion here implies tolerance?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
A heterosexual person is a person with a sexual orientation to people of the opposite sex. A transexual female would be of the opposite sex. Therefore refusal to date people of the opposite sex who may have penises conflicts with the definition of heterosexuality.

This is your argument? My four year old niece often puts forth such intellectually dishonest equivocations. Then again, she's four.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Not wanting to date someone does not in any way imply hatred or intolerance of that person. Not wanting to date a person doesn't even imply dislike.

Bigotry is intolerance to other people's opinions. (One example might be refusing to accept "no" for an answer to a solicitation for sex.) {Let's see how that stirs the pot up around here. I'm getting close to my 6666th post, and am feeling ornery. :smilingimp:}

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How is that "intellectually dishonest"?

It would seem the argument rests on assuming that a woman with a penis is exactly identical to a woman without a penis, but with a vagina. Whether that's intellectually dishonest, or merely an error in reasoning (i.e. false equivalency), would depend on the intention of the argument's author.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Not wanting to date someone does not in any way imply hatred or intolerance of that person. Not wanting to date a person doesn't even imply dislike.

Refusing to date a whole group of people, all of whom share a common trait, implies intolerance.

Will you tolerate dating people that are like this?
No, I am intolerant of those type of people when it comes to dating. I refuse to date them.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Because the sexual attraction defined within the scope of heterosexual attraction is based on the opposite sex having the opposite sex parts, not on simply the label. This isn't bigotry, it's biology.
I assumed that's what you were trying to say, but you're wrong. Heterosexuality and homosexuality are not reducible down to mere body parts. A cis man in a relationship with or having sex with a trans woman is heterosexual. When I, as a trans man, am in a relationship with or having sex with a cis woman, it's not lesbian. Me having sex with a cis man is not straight.