• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus really have to die for our sins?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
are you telling me you empirically witnessed or experienced the events in genesis?

Would you ask a historian if they've witnessed or experienced something before their time?

real pieces make a real puzzle
not questions, they point in all directions

I'm using the dictionary definition of "puzzle." What do you mean?

Sleeppy

a historian will gather up empirical evidence or gather more than one source to confirm any claims...

is it the definition for a 3D puzzle?
:D

I don't know each historian's methods. Maybe so. Sounds like a good idea. But, I still don't think a historian could witness or experience anything before their time, though.. Unless it was still occurring in some fashion. I have heard that history repeats itself.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I think it's fairly obvious to anyone who's paying attention to the questions that are still being asked, and a social climate that's still dealing with reconciling people to each other, that it's not the last word. It just can't be explained away like that without asking some tough questions and raising some tough issues.

Sleeppy

I think it's fairly obvious to anyone who's paying attention to the questions that are still being asked, and a social climate that's still dealing with reconciling people to each other, that it's not the last word. It just can't be explained away like that without asking some tough questions and raising some tough issues.

What can't be explained away?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I chose my wording pretty carefully, I don't think you understood exactly what I was referring to.
Perhaps you'd better explain it again. It's late, I'm sleepy, I've been dealing with social justice issues all day, and I got stopped at a sobriety check point a little while ago.:facepalm: :drunk:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't know each historian's methods. Maybe so. Sounds like a good idea. But, I still don't think a historian could witness or experience anything before their time, though..

having more then 1 source helps to determine/confirm if something that was claimed to have occurred actually occurred.
Unless it was still occurring in some fashion. I have heard that history repeats itself.

history repeats itself when we don't learn from the past...
i see a few common denominators throughout history, guess what they are...?

religion and the desire of power

Sleeppy

having more then 1 source helps to determine/confirm if something that was claimed to have occurred actually occurred.

Yea, sure.

history repeats itself when we don't learn from the past...
i see a few common denominators throughout history, guess what they are...?

religion and the desire of power

That's pretty picky.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
And so??????????

Numbers 15:32-36

King James Version (KJV)

32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses.

I have doubts over whether God is good.

Sleeppy

but it's true.

can you give me another common factor that has been predominant in throughout history?

There's so many, I honestly have a hard time picking one.. And they look to be all there. Can you name any that have disappeared?