• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

Mark2020

that doesn't explain a thing...
why did jesus pray to god...

"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Again, as man, He was full man with full human emotions and feelings.

(Matthew 26:38 [NIV]) Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."
He carried the sins of humankind and died on the cross.
(Ephesians 1:7 [NIV]) In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.

But remember that He did so with His own will:
(John 10:18 [NIV]) No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

waitasec

Veteran Member
Again, as man, He was full man with full human emotions and feelings.
yes he was a man and that just about says it all don't it

(Matthew 26:38 [NIV]) Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."
He carried the sins of humankind and died on the cross.
(Ephesians 1:7 [NIV]) In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.

But remember that He did so with His own will:
(John 10:18 [NIV]) No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

one who was willing to run...
mark 14:42 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”

Mark2020

yes he was a man and that just about says it all don't it
But what we are discussing here is that He was God who took human flesh.

one who was willing to run...
mark 14:42 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”
Yes, but go where?
There are many proofs from the Bible that Jesus is omniscient, and knows people's thoughts and I can show you some if you want.
If He wanted, He could have gone anywhere and not be found by them, but that was His will.
Maybe you took this out of its context, He was going to meet them not to escape from them. He wasn't willing to run as you said.

(John 18:3-4 [NIV]) So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons. Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"

waitasec

Veteran Member
But what we are discussing here is that He was God who took human flesh.
which is why i never understood why he prayed to himself
Yes, but go where?
There are many proofs from the Bible that Jesus is omniscient, and knows people's thoughts and I can show you some if you want.
If He wanted, He could have gone anywhere and not be found by them, but that was His will.
Maybe you took this out of its context, He was going to meet them not to escape from them. He wasn't willing to run as you said.

(John 18:3-4 [NIV]) So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons. Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"

he checked on his sleepy apostles 3 times and kept telling them to be on the look out...if he's omniscient he wouldn't need look outs would he.

Mark2020

which is why i never understood why he prayed to himself
I already replied to that.

he checked on his sleepy apostles 3 times and kept telling them to be on the look out...if he's omniscient he wouldn't need look outs would he.
Remember what He told them?
(Matthew 26:41 [NIV]) Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.
He didn't ask them to protect Him.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I already replied to that.
yes you did however if the purpose of your reply was to further the conversation you failed...why do you keep saying the same thing and expect a different result?
if the purpose of your reply was to regurgitate what has been said before you have succeeded.

Remember what He told them?
(Matthew 26:41 [NIV]) Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.
He didn't ask them to protect Him.

mark 14:34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”

Mark2020

yes you did however if the purpose of your reply...
You didn't discuss my answer, you repeated the question.
If He is a full man, with full human emotions. And He was feeling so sad. Then as a man He prayed. He also did so to teach us to pray, as He asked the disciples to do.

mark 14:34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”
(Mark 14:34 [NIV]) My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death, he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch."
I see what you mean. Actually "keep watch" means "stay awake".
Here is the Greek verb used: γρηγορέω
grēgoreúō; fut. grēgorḗsō, from egeírō (G1453) to arise, arouse. To watch, to refrain from sleep. It was transferred in meaning from the physical to the moral religious sphere (Mat 26:38, Mat 26:40-41).
You can check:
Mark 14:34 Greek Texts and Analysis
Strong's Greek: 1127. ????????? (grégoreó) -- to be awake, to watch

waitasec

Veteran Member
You didn't discuss my answer, you repeated the question.
If He is a full man, with full human emotions. And He was feeling so sad. Then as a man He prayed. He also did so to teach us to pray, as He asked the disciples to do.
yet he was the omniscient god at the same time?
this notion is irreconcilable with reality.
(Mark 14:34 [NIV]) My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death, he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch."
I see what you mean. Actually "keep watch" means "stay awake".
Here is the Greek verb used: γρηγορέω
grēgoreúō; fut. grēgorḗsō, from egeírō (G1453) to arise, arouse. To watch, to refrain from sleep. It was transferred in meaning from the physical to the moral religious sphere (Mat 26:38, Mat 26:40-41).
You can check:
Mark 14:34 Greek Texts and Analysis
Strong's Greek: 1127. ????????? (grégoreó) -- to be awake, to watch

stay a wake for what?

Mark2020

yet he was the omniscient god at the same time?
this notion is irreconcilable with reality.

And don't forget that:

(John 3:16 [NIV]) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Where's the problem?
he knew what was going to happen before it happened, right?
he knew what his purpose was...right? he knew he would be in paradise with himself pretty soon...
i understand the teaching to pray...but why was he sad?
are you saying he was getting used to living as a human and was going to miss his flesh?
i'm guessing it the temptation to sleep, what's the problem with sleeping at that particular point in time?

Mark2020

he knew what was going to happen before it happened, right?
he knew what his purpose was...right? he knew he would be in paradise with himself pretty soon...
i understand the teaching to pray...but why was he sad?
He had full human feelings and emotions.
Any human being who would carry the sins of mankind and who was to be crucified like that as an evil-doer by those whom he came to save, while He knew no sin, would feel sad. That's just human nature.

i'm guessing it the temptation to sleep, what's the problem with sleeping at that particular point in time?
The point that we were discussing is that He knew all that was coming, didn't try to escape and didn't ask for the protection of the disciples. Any problems with that?
Edit:
Actually, it was quite the opposite:
(John 18:10-11 [NIV]) Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
He had full human feelings and emotions.
how can a supreme being with the experience of knowing what it is like to be a omniscient supreme being deny that experience as a human?
i don't understand that.

The point that we were discussing is that He knew all that was coming, didn't try to escape and didn't ask for the protection of the disciples. Any problems with that?
Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”

Mark2020

how can a supreme being with the experience of knowing what it is like to be a omniscient supreme being deny that experience as a human?
i don't understand that.
Your question isn't clear. He was still omniscient, yet He had human feelings. There isn't contradiction in that, if this is what you mean.
Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”
Please don't repeat your questions.
I already answered that. If you have a problem with my answer,then discuss it. But repeating the question is no good.