• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

idav

Being
Premium Member
Anyway, all translations have "the Alpha and the Omega" here, referring to Lord God:

(Revelation 1:8 [NIV]) I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

and He who is to come was pierced:
(Revelation 1:7 [NIV]) Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.
Interesting how you throw 7 after 8 to distort the context.

:6 right before.
To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, 6 and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

Mark2020

Interesting how you throw 7 after 8 to distort the context.
haha
Here:
(Revelation 1:7-8 [NIV])
Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen. I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Big difference!

his God and Father
This has already been addressed many times here.

idav

Being
Premium Member
haha
Here:
(Revelation 1:7-8 [NIV])
Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen. I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Big difference!

This has already been addressed many times here.
You should note that the "amen" is the ending of a complete thought. Then god starts talking and jesus was already distinguished in verse six from god which is important when verse 8 says it's god talking.

Awoon

I have been asked to produce evidence of the divinity of Jesus. This is not just good evidence, it is overwhelming evidence.

Words of Jesus

John 14:9 ... he that hath seen me hath seen the Father
John 14:10 ... the words that I say unto you , I speak not from myself but from the Father abiding in Me doeth His works
John 14:11 ... I am in the Father and the Father in Me
John 10:30 I and My Father are one
John 10:33 ... thou being a man makest Thyself God
John 8:58 Jesus said ... before Abraham was born, Jah (Jah is the short form of Jeshovah)
John 8:59 They took up stones therefore to cast at Him
Mark 2:5 and Jesus seeing their faith saith ... thy sins are forgiven
Mark 2:7 ... who can forgive sins but one, even God
Mark 10:17 ... good teacher Mark 10:18 Why callest Me good? None is good save one, even God John 10:11 I am the good shepherd
Mat. 1:21 ... call his name Jesus; for it is He that shall save his people from their sins
Prophecies of the Messiah Jesus
Isa. 45:21 ... I, Jehovah? and there is no God else besides Me a just God and savior, there is none besides Me
Isa. 7:14 ... a sign: behold a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call His name Immanuel (God with us)
Isa 9:6 a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called: Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace

Attributes of God
Omnipresence
John 1:46 Nathaniel saith unto Him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him Before Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
John 1:49 Nathaniel answered him, Rabbi thou art the Son of God; thou art King of Israel.
John 1:50 Jesus answered ... thou shalt see greater things than these
Omniscience
Luke 6:8 ...the Pharisees watched Him ... that they might find how to accuse him but He knew their thoughts
John 4:17 ... Thou sayest well, I have no husband
John 4:18 for thou hast had five husbands and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband
Omnipotence
Mark 4:41 ... Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?

(He turned water into wine, multiplied bread, healed the sick and the blind, raised a man who was dead for four days)
Authority
Luke 4:36 ... for with authority and power He commandeth the unclean spirits and they come out
Mat 7:29 for He taught them as one having authority
Mat 28:18 ... Jesus ...spake... saying, all authority hath been given unto Me in heaven and on earth
The "I am" statements of Jesus
John 8:12 ... I am the light of the world
John 14:6 ... I am the way, the truth and the life
John 6:35 ... I am the bread of life
John 10:9 I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved
John 11:25 ... I am the resurrection and the life
John 15:1 I am the true vine (this is a reference to Jesus being the Paraclete)

Humans are all Humanly Divine and Divinely Human.:hugehug:

yourgraceisenough

You should note that the "amen" is the ending of a complete thought. Then god starts talking and jesus was already distinguished in verse six from god which is important when verse 8 says it's god talking.

the three I am the alpha and the omega, the I am statements by Jesus, the jews crucifying Jesus for blasphemy, God sharing salvation with Jesus and worship...

it really doesn't take much working out...:)

idav

Being
Premium Member
the three I am the alpha and the omega, the I am statements by Jesus, the jews crucifying Jesus for blasphemy, God sharing salvation with Jesus and worship...

it really doesn't take much working out...:)
They crucified him for claiming to be king of the jews like that of david. Had little to do with claims of being god. It was politics.

yourgraceisenough

They crucified him for claiming to be king of the jews like that of david. Had little to do with claims of being god. It was politics.

aren't you forgetting caiaphas ripping his clothing during the illegal evening arrest and interrogation of Jesus???

what was his cry to Jesus??:)

idav

Being
Premium Member
aren't you forgetting caiaphas ripping his clothing during the illegal evening arrest and interrogation of Jesus???

what was his cry to Jesus??:)
You'll have to refresh my memory. Still, did Jesus ever agree with the absurd things people accused him of. Jesus usually disagreed and told them why.

yourgraceisenough

You'll have to refresh my memory. Still, did Jesus ever agree with the absurd things people accused him of. Jesus usually disagreed and told them why.

matt 26

63But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. 65Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy. 66What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

:)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
matt 26

63But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.65Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy. 66What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

you probably should have been focusing on what jesus was being accused of:

" tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God."

He was accused of being the 'son' of God... not God himself.

yourgraceisenough

you probably should have been focusing on what jesus was being accused of:

" tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God."

He was accused of being the 'son' of God... not God himself.

what not the first born...lol....:)

is claiming to be an angel blasphermous....or did the Jews no what he meant...:)

did caiaphas rend his clothes and shout "he's making out he's the arch angel michael"...:)

idav

Being
Premium Member
matt 26

63But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.65Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy. 66What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

Son of man doesn't mean god does it. They accused him of being son of god which he always proclaims. Never does he proclaim to be god and even if they accused him he disagreed.

yourgraceisenough

Son of man doesn't mean god does it. They accused him of being son of god which he always proclaims. Never does he proclaim to be god and even if they accused him he disagreed.

so he never made I am statements...

and of course you forget the alpha and the omega statements....

and the involved in salvation and worship....:)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
so he never made I am statements...
and of course you forget the alpha and the omega statements....
and the involved in salvation and worship....:)

Yes, Jesus said: I am the Son of God.
What other I am statements do you have in mind ?

Malachi [3vs1-6] speaks of a 'joint coming for judgment' on the part of both God and his messenger. [Messenger is Jesus]

Jesus is called Mighty God by Isaiah, but never called Almighty God.
['God' like 'Lord' is a title not a proper or personal name]

Rev [1v8] mentions the Almighty so verse 8 is in connection to Almighty God.
Rev [21vs6,7] the speaker is Jesus' Father [Matt 25v40; Hebrews 2vs10-12]
because Jesus' brothers are not Jesus' sons. Jesus 'brothers' are God's sons.
Rev [22v13] the Alpha and Omega are capitalized while 'first and last' are all in lower case letters. Verse 16 applies to Jesus. Verse 17 is credited to the spirit and the bride. The Alpha and Omega of verse 13 is in reference to Almighty God as at Rev 21 and Rev 1.

Shermana

Heretic
He never made an "I am" statement in the sense of saying "My name is I am", or "I am the I am" no. Trying to say he did amounts to some very odd grammar.

As well, the name itself isn't really "I am" but "I shall be".

Mark2020

Jesus is called Mighty God by Isaiah, but never called Almighty God.

Rev [1v8] mentions the Almighty so verse 8 is in connection to Almighty God.

(Jeremiah 32:18 [NWT]) the One exercising loving-kindness toward thousands, and repaying the error of the fathers into the bosom of their sons after them, the true God, the great One, the mighty One, Jehovah of armies being his name,

Who is the "the mighty One" here?_____________________

Rev [22v13] the Alpha and Omega are capitalized while 'first and last' are all in lower case letters.
... in Greek?!

Mark2020

THE mighty one. Ha-el, Ha-gibbor.

Jeremiah 32:18 Hebrew Texts and Analysis

Isaiah 9:6 knows no such Article.

Not the point.
By the way, anarthrous? again? :D

(Exodus 20:5) לֹֽא־ תִשְׁתַּחְוֶ֥֣ה לָהֶ֖ם֮ וְלֹ֣א תָעָבְדֵ֑ם֒ כִּ֣י אָֽנֹכִ֞י יְהוָ֤ה אֱלֹהֶ֙יךָ֙ אֵ֣ל קַנָּ֔א פֹּ֠קֵד עֲוֹ֨ן אָבֹ֧ת עַל־ בָּנִ֛ים עַל־ שִׁלֵּשִׁ֥ים וְעַל־ רִבֵּעִ֖ים לְשֹׂנְאָֽ֑י׃