• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

outhouse

Atheistically
Now are you going to give something smart about my argument or you'll keep posting such useless posts?

are you going to post something smart?

will you keep up with useless post?

are both skirting personal attacks and not tolerated here.

jesus never wrote anything, no one that knew jesus wrote anything.

So how would you know what jesus said. period

Last edited:

bjpascoal

Please help me out here. I only converted to Christianity a month ago. Before that I was a Mormon. As a Mormon I believed that Jesus was the son of God but not actually God incarnate.

I'm struggling with what I now believe which is that I don't know what to believe.

Words of Jesus

John 14:9 ... he that hath seen me hath seen the Father
John 14:10 ... the words that I say unto you , I speak not from myself but from the Father abiding in Me doeth His works
John 14:11 ... I am in the Father and the Father in Me
John 10:30 I and My Father are one
John 10:33 ... thou being a man makest Thyself God
John 8:58 Jesus said ... before Abraham was born, Jah (Jah is the short form of Jeshovah)
John 8:59 They took up stones therefore to cast at Him
Mark 2:5 and Jesus seeing their faith saith ... thy sins are forgiven
Mark 2:7 ... who can forgive sins but one, even God
Mark 10:17 ... good teacher Mark 10:18 Why callest Me good? None is good save one, even God John 10:11 I am the good shepherd
Mat. 1:21 ... call his name Jesus; for it is He that shall save his people from their sins
Prophecies of the Messiah Jesus
Isa. 45:21 ... I, Jehovah? and there is no God else besides Me a just God and savior, there is none besides Me
Isa. 7:14 ... a sign: behold a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call His name Immanuel (God with us)
Isa 9:6 a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called: Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace

Attributes of God
Omnipresence
John 1:46 Nathaniel saith unto Him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him Before Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
John 1:49 Nathaniel answered him, Rabbi thou art the Son of God; thou art King of Israel.
John 1:50 Jesus answered ... thou shalt see greater things than these
Omniscience
Luke 6:8 ...the Pharisees watched Him ... that they might find how to accuse him but He knew their thoughts
John 4:17 ... Thou sayest well, I have no husband
John 4:18 for thou hast had five husbands and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband
Omnipotence
Mark 4:41 ... Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?

(He turned water into wine, multiplied bread, healed the sick and the blind, raised a man who was dead for four days)
Authority
Luke 4:36 ... for with authority and power He commandeth the unclean spirits and they come out
Mat 7:29 for He taught them as one having authority
Mat 28:18 ... Jesus ...spake... saying, all authority hath been given unto Me in heaven and on earth
The "I am" statements of Jesus
John 8:12 ... I am the light of the world
John 14:6 ... I am the way, the truth and the life
John 6:35 ... I am the bread of life
John 10:9 I am the door, by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved
John 11:25 ... I am the resurrection and the life
John 15:1 I am the true vine (this is a reference to Jesus being the Paraclete)

I see nothing in the above list convincing me Jesus is God. I'm open to the concept but I see Jesus still as a sort of demi-God. Which I know is through the lens of Mormonism but I have nothing else but 40 years as a Mormon.

Also, is it really that important? Can't I just accept Jesus as my savior and just not worry about his nature?

Thank you.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Please help me out here. I only converted to Christianity a month ago. Before that I was a Mormon. As a Mormon I believed that Jesus was the son of God but not actually God incarnate.
Here's what you should have believed when you were an LDS Christian:

Mosiah 5:15 Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all.

Mormon 7:7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

I guess you weren't paying attention when you were just a "fake Christian." :rolleyes: Now that you're a "real Christian," you can believe that the Father is the same individual as the Son. When you figure out how that works, would you mind letting me know?

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically

I'm struggling with what I now believe which is that I don't know what to believe.

I see nothing in the above list convincing me Jesus is God. I'm open to the concept but I see Jesus still as a sort of demi-God. Which I know is through the lens of Mormonism but I have nothing else but 40 years as a Mormon.

Also, is it really that important? Can't I just accept Jesus as my savior and just not worry about his nature?

Thank you.

the divinity and definition of jesus was argued about long after his death for hundreds of years.

A roman dictator [constantine] influenced the definition and the trinity concept of god being 3 parts and jesus being one a long with the spirit was born.

Many people do not follow this and look at jesus as the son of god.

No matter how you slice it people deified him.

Yes you dont need to be on one side or the other to enjoy christianity despite what hard liners say on one side or the other

bjpascoal

I can't guarantee I will figure it out, only that I'm open to new ideas.

I just can't accept that they are two separate beings anymore which would be polytheism. (as per 1st vision), Nor do I understand how they are "one God" as per Mormon 7:7.

I can't explain it, not sure if I ever will be able to.

bjpascoal said:

Mark2020

Besides, we have a lot of early Christian Fathers sayings about the divinity of Christ before Constantine.
Not to mention all the verses that we discussed here from the Bible.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
useless
It's obvious that when Jesus said "I am" (I AM God), they sought to stone Him.
Again, ignoring all what I said about the verse and the similarity with Ps 90:2 and trying to change the subject.
First off just spouting off posts as "useless" doesn't help your argument, it just makes it look worse. You should attempt to defend your arguments without attacking personally. Secondly, attaching "God" to the end of "I am" does not make sense in the context of the verse. They sought to stone Jesus for several reasons including blasphemy but it does not mean Jesus was guilty of anything, ever. Besides "Ye are gods" should ring a bell.

Mark2020

First off just spouting off posts as "useless" doesn't help your argument, it just makes it look worse. You should attempt to defend your arguments without attacking personally.
funny you didn't say the same about the post that I quoted which had the same word.

Secondly, attaching "God" to the end of "I am" does not make sense in the context of the verse...
Try to actually read the context of this post.

outhouse

Atheistically
No proofs = useless posts (as usual).

When you tried to discuss this with me before, you had to unfaithfully quote wikipedia, remember?
So stop pretending you know all the history of the world.

blah blah blah ba ba blah :facepalm:

if you dont have the kowledge or education to refute my post dont bother with the useless drivel.

you embarrass yourself

outhouse

Atheistically
That's what I figured. But I'd still like to read about and understand all sides before I just give up.

Ya dont give up, theres alot of wonderful history surrounding the subject.

Trinity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

all scholars recognize that the Creeds themselves were created in reaction to disagreements over the nature of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

This means no one could agree about the divinity and definition of deities.

Jesus didnt write a word and no one that knew the man ever wrote a word about him. Much of what we do know was passed down through oral transmission for ten years or more to almost a hundred years after for some text.

the dogma you personally want to follow with who you trust more then anything else.

the trinity concept cannot be found in scripture and was never taught. Man made the concept as he tried to define the deity while maintaining a monotheistic theology. This all came to a head about 325AD at the first council of nicea.

First Council of Nicaea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Council declared that the Father and the Son are of the same substance and are co-eternal, basing the declaration in the claim that this was a formulation of traditional Christian belief handed down from the Apostles. Under Constantine's influence.

above shows that it came down to a court like hearing in which no one could agree and the roman emporer Constantine put his foot down and settled the debate. And thus christianity had a definition at that time that father and son were the same.

again no where in scripture is the trinity preached or taught in any shape or form.

Mark2020

The Council declared that the Father and the Son are of the same substance and are co-eternal, basing the declaration in the claim that this was a formulation of traditional Christian belief handed down from the Apostles. Under Constantine's influence.

This is what I call unfaithful quoting.

Compare the above quote to the real quote:

The Council declared that the Father and the Son are of the same substance and are co-eternal, basing the declaration in the claim that this was a formulation of traditional Christian belief handed down from the Apostles. Under Constantine's influence,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea#cite_note-33 this belief was expressed by the bishops in what would be known thereafter as the Nicene Creed.
Where did the part in red go?
Did you have to cut it out to support your claims?

You failed to copy this from the same site:

Misconceptions

The Role of Constantine

While Constantine wanted a unified church after the council for political reasons, he did not force the Homoousian view of Christ's nature on the council, nor commission a Bible at the council that omitted books he did not approve of, although he did later commission Bibles. In fact, Constantine had little theological understanding of the issues at stake, and did not particularly care which view of Christ's nature prevailed so long as it resulted in a unified church.[59] This can be seen in his initial acceptance of the Homoousian view of Christ's nature, only to abandon the belief several years later for political reasons; under the influence of Eusebius of Nicomedia and others.[59]

outhouse

Atheistically
This is what I call unfaithful quoting.

Compare the above quote to the real quote:

Where did the part in red go?
Did you have to cut it out to support your claims?

You failed to copy this from the same site:

wrong that added parts to the quotes have nothing to do with the statements I made. its why I did not add them.

you go way off base and didnt prove a single statement I said wrong, you gave no rebuttle at all,,,,,, you only attacked my statement for what you felt it lacked. try and follow a long if you can.

Again you embarrass yourself.

Conatantine did not force the hamoouasian view BUT he did force them to all agree with it or be banished, EVEN with that some did not go with his wishes. Many bishops who were apposed did not even show to the council.

Without Constantine the trinity would not have taken place as its known today.