• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

waitasec

Veteran Member
Calling a point moot without explaining why shows that you have no reply to it.

No.
I already explained why.

Just similarity or comparison.
I already explained with proof.

Again no.
As the previous example.

Sorry, that's useless.

your entire reply takes us nowhere.

the use of even as and just as are there for a purpose...and it's not for the purpose of being figurative, it's for the purpose to give equal meaning to, other wise even as and just as wouldn't have been used.

you have not proven your case against it...

Mark2020

your entire reply takes us nowhere.
it only takes us where you don't want it to :D

the use of even as and just as are there for a purpose...and it's not for the purpose of being figurative, it's for the purpose to give equal meaning to, other wise even as and just as wouldn't have been used.
you have not proven your case against it...
I think I explained and gave a proof with a verse in the same chapter.

I'll make it easier for you:
If the meaning intended was that Jesus was "in accord" with God, He would have said:
"we all be one in You", not "they all be one in us"

Mark2020

If it says "That they may be one as we are one", then the "We are one" is the same as "They may be one".

First, the mood used is subjunctive for "they may be one " and indicative for "we are one"

Second, I already gave an example that shows that "as" or "kathos" doesn't imply "the same as":
(John 17:16 [KJV]) They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

waitasec

Veteran Member
it only takes us where you don't want it to :D
i can say the same about you
:rolleyes:

I think I explained and gave a proof with a verse in the same chapter.

I'll make it easier for you:
If the meaning intended was that Jesus was "in accord" with God, He would have said:
"we all be one in You", not "they all be one in us"
this is the best argument you have presented thus far...

but you have to think about the implications of what jesus is saying in his prayer... it's the pink elephant i beleive you don't want to acknowledge...

6 I have revealed you[a] to those whom you gave me out of the world.7 They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word.
Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you.

i think you get the picture by now...my thumb is cramping ;)

8 For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me...10 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. 11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by[c] that name you gave meNone has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
13 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by[d] the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

Jesus Prays for All Believers

20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you[e] known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

is he talking to another being other than himself or is he talking to himself?

from what i gather here is, he's talking to another through faith...
while his entire prayer is defeating the idea he is god...

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
(John 3:13 [NIV]) No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven-the Son of Man.

He came from heaven since He is God.

How can he be "God" if he was sent by "God"..?

How can he be "God" if he says he came not to do his own but sent to do the will of (The One) who sent him?

How can he be "God" (coming from heaven) considering John the Baptist said ('Alaha sent him to speak the words of Alaha'..)

Sounds like Yeshua was "God's" Ambassador....

Mark2020

to teach us what?
it's not as if they didn't know what prayer was...

It's a different incident, but still they asked Him to teach them to pray.
Luke 11:1
One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

He taught us to pray and do other good things and He led by example.

Mark2020

Don't bother because I'm still waiting on something logical from you in reference to Luke 2:11 you presented verse Luke 2:22 I presented.......
I've already explained the absurdity of what you were trying to do.
I can explain the verse simply in a few words, but as I said this is pointless.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
First, the mood used is subjunctive for "they may be one " and indicative for "we are one"

Second, I already gave an example that shows that "as" or "kathos" doesn't imply "the same as":
(John 17:16 [KJV]) They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

So what exactly did he mean by "they are not of the world"? Gramatically, "Kathos" has basically the same meaning in all its other uses. It appears your difference is based on Theological presumptions. "As he spoke" and "As we are" both mean "in the condition" whether its referring to an immediacy of time or a state of being.

Strong's Greek: 2531. ????? (kathos) -- just as, as