• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jesus say he was God???

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I've already explained the absurdity of what you were trying to do.

What I was trying to do??? The verse you presented breaks down horribly at Luke 2:22 linguistically and theologically in the minds of Jews. Which is why I asked if you truly believed the context was saying 'They took the Lord Jehovah to be presented to the Lord Jehovah'.....

waitasec

Veteran Member
It's a different incident, but still they asked Him to teach them to pray.
Luke 11:1
One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

He taught us to pray and do other good things and He led by example.

we aren't talking about luke 11, we are talking about jesus' prayer in john 17.

where jesus clearly separates himself from god by referring to god as YOU and YOUR(S). he's not teaching the disciples how to pray here...he's praying to be glorified, for his disciples and for the believers...right before he's arrested. as he says:

Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you how many times do you refer to yourself as father of yourself?

and why ask to be glorified, if he's god he's already glorified yes? :no:

Last edited:

Mark2020

we aren't talking about luke 11, we are talking about jesus' prayer in john 17.
why do you keep going in circles?
Read your question and read the answer well.

referring to god as YOU and YOUR(S).
As when a human prays.

Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you how many times do you refer to yourself as father of yourself?
He is God the Son, the Word

and why ask to be glorified, if he's god he's already glorified yes? :no:
as man.

(Philippians 2:6-7)
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men

More accurately:
(Philippians 2:6-7[YLT])
who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal to God, but did empty himself, the form of a servant having taken, in the likeness of men having been made

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
why do you keep going in circles?
Read your question and read the answer well.
your the one who brought up luke by trying to explain why jesus was praying: to teach but if you want to got there then you have to take this into consideration
luke 21: 41 He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed,
now how is he teaching them how to pray when he withdrew himself?

(Philippians 2:6-7)
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men

then why did he with draw himself in luke 21?
More accurately:
(Philippians 2:6-7[YLT])
who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal to God, but did empty himself, the form of a servant having taken, in the likeness of men having been made
more accurately
matthew 26:36

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?”

mark 14:32 They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34 “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”
35 Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36 “Abba,[f] Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

37 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Simon,” he said to Peter, “are you asleep? Couldn’t you keep watch for one hour? 38 Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

39 Once more he went away and prayed the same thing

quoting philippians is moot because the thread is about whether or not jesus said he was god and because we are talking about why would jesus pray to himself.

the synoptic gospels all depict jesus as withdrawing from his disciples...and you say it's to teach them how to pray...?

really? come on now.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
He is God the Son, the Word

as man.

he was only a man.

if a man can be glorified, well then, why wasn't he?
why did he have to ask for it....that isn't a very humble thing to do and it contradicts "and took upon him the form of a servant"
servants don't ask to be glorified....

Mark2020

he was only a man.
Nope.
I already proved otherwise many times.
But obviously that's what you want to believe.

if a man can be glorified, well then, why wasn't he?
How do you know He wasn't?
What do you call resurrection and ascension?

As I said, this is very clear:

John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Don't waste our time.

We know what the writer, whomever he was, wrote in the (whole) book of John but the thread is about whether or not Yeshua "said" he was Alaha (God)...Even as ambiguous as John 1:1 is it's certainly not a proof that Yeshua himself said he was "God". The only time wasted was for you to troll out that verse and for me to remind you Yeshua didn't say it.....

waitasec

Veteran Member
Nope.
I already proved otherwise many times.
But obviously that's what you want to believe.

you didn't prove anything. you're still ignoring the pink elephant.
if jesus was god why pray to himself and in this case by himself?

How do you know He wasn't?
because of the circumstances that surrounds this story
What do you call resurrection and ascension?
legend and myth
As I said, this is very clear:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

a baseless claim no less.

Last edited:

Mark2020

waitasec

Veteran Member
We know what the writer, whomever he was, wrote in the (whole) book of John but the thread is about whether or not Yeshua "said" he was Alaha (God)...Even as ambiguous as John 1:1 is it's certainly not a proof that Yeshua himself said he was "God". The only time wasted was for you to troll out that verse and for me to remind you Yeshua didn't say it.....

:yes:

Mark2020

you didn't prove anything. you're still ignoring the pink elephant.
if jesus was god why pray to himself and in this case by himself?
I already explained that.
But you want to believe otherwise.

legend and myth
a baseless claim no less.
The discussion was from the bible.
But once you doubt its authenticity, I don't think such discussion is any good.

From the Bible, it has been proven many times that Jesus is God.
If you don't want to believe that or if you don't want to believe in the bible, it's your choice.
No one asks you to believe otherwise.
But don't try to tell me what the bible says.

Mark2020

what is the name of the thread?
I already proved it more than once from Jesus' words.
But reading the OP, he obviously means from the bible generally not only from Jesus' words.
Mind you, the whole bible is God's words, that is Jesus' words.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I already explained that.
But you want to believe otherwise.

The discussion was from the bible.
But once you doubt its authenticity, I don't think such discussion is any good.

From the Bible, it has been proven many times that Jesus is God.
If you don't want to believe that or if you don't want to believe in the bible, it's your choice.
No one asks you to believe otherwise.
But don't try to tell me what the bible says.

you didn't explain anything other than the NT claiming jesus is god
i'm sorry to be the one to break the news to you but...no news there...what a waste of time for you...
what makes this an argument, is whether or not jesus said he was god... not the writers in NT!!!!!
talk about moving goal posts
:biglaugh:

at least i learned somethings about the gospels...you however, are incorrigible....