• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do "Believers" really believe?

LogDog

JamesThePersian said:
for millions of people God has indeed revealed Himself and so that common plea on the part of some atheists is ridiculous. The fact is that many of those who call for such a thing wouldn't believe even if they were a witness to, say, the miracles of Christ.

Yes. God has revealed himself. But only in the theatre of the mind. I can understand how it all seem so very real to the individual experiencing the delusion.

The chemistry of the mind can be truly awe inspiring.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
LogDog said:
Yes. God has revealed himself. But only in the theatre of the mind. I can understand how it all seem so very real to the individual experiencing the delusion.

The chemistry of the mind can be truly awe inspiring.

This is the same regurgitating babble that is always used. Theist attach meaning to something and it's labeled a delusion. I often wonder if people really believe this or if it's just something they enjoy spewing out to justify their own conclusions/feelings about it.

Ðanisty

LogDog said:
They've come under the spell of religion and a false belief derived from deception.
So your position is that all people who believe in something have been brainwashed? No offense, but that's a huge assumption. I had never even met a Luciferian when I decided this was the path for me. I figured this out all on my own. It's one thing for you to say that you think our beliefs are irrational...it's something else to claim we've all been brainwashed.

LogDog

Victor said:
This is the same regurgitating babble that is always used. Theist attach meaning to something and it's labeled a delusion. I often wonder if people really believe this or if it's just something they enjoy spewing out to justify their own conclusions/feelings about it.

I can understand how comments such as this might ruffle a few feathers. It's an unfortunate bi-product of confronting false beliefs derived from deception.

LogDog

Feathers in Hair said:
Come to think of it, I don't think anyone here has tried to convert you yet. Why do you feel it necessary to convert us?

A number of you have asked why I and other atheists won't leave well enough alone, accept the fact that religion "is" and let believers believe. To that I will say it is religions impediment of the unrestrained progression of mankind that will compel some to be vocal in their opposition for its advancement and to question its irrational foundation.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
LogDog said:
I can understand how comments such as this might ruffle a few feathers. It's an unfortunate bi-product of confronting false beliefs derived from deception.

False beliefs? Deception? Is this a general statement of all theist? :areyoucra

I'm glad you are hear. You are in the right place to educate yourself about differences. I hope you pay attention.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
LogDog said:
A number of you have asked why I and other atheists won't leave well enough alone, accept the fact that religion "is" and let believers believe. To that I will say it is religions impediment of the unrestrained progression of mankind that will compel some to be vocal in their opposition for its advancement and to question its irrational foundation.

Bollocks! There are religions that encourage progression of mankind, so for one to blanket all religions as the same is to show ignorance about those religions you are accusing.

I don't completely disagree with everything you've said on this thread, but I highly object to your tone and outward disdain for all religious folk. Despite our religious differences, we are friends here, a respectful community and we wish to keep it that way.

Put down Harris and pick up some Rumi.

Booko

Deviled Hen
LogDog said:
It's a mute point.

Just for your further edification, the proper term is "moot" not "mute."

A "mute" is something you stick in the end of your trombone so you don't sound so loud and wake the neighbor's baby.

Pass me the donation tray.

Sorry, we can't take donations from you. It's against our religion.

Booko

Deviled Hen
LogDog said:
In my opinion, yes. To persist in a belief of the supernatural in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence leads me to question judgment.

That you see overwhelming contrary evidence is due to a matter of your perception.

That others see overwhelming contrary evidence is due to their perception.

Last I heard, it was a logical impossibility to prove a negative.

If you want to claim your view is based on logic, that's fine, but if you are illogical about it, you should expect to be called on that.

You've made several claims about why people are theists, and as far as I've seen, they've all been shown errornous so far in this thread.

LogDog

Booko said:
That you see overwhelming contrary evidence is due to a matter of your perception.

That others see overwhelming contrary evidence is due to their perception.

Last I heard, it was a logical impossibility to prove a negative.

If you want to claim your view is based on logic, that's fine, but if you are illogical about it, you should expect to be called on that.

You've made several claims about why people are theists, and as far as I've seen, they've all been shown errornous so far in this thread.

Fair enough.