• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians really overly persecute homosexuals?

Duck

My problem with your rants are that you're dismissive of what is really happening. And that you're frustrated and angry over IMO the wrong things. If you went this ballstic over how irrational homophobes are, you won't have this many of RF's GLBTQ community breathing down your neck.

Truth.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I am sorry to say that I can't see any point behind this thread except to criticize gay people for speaking out against those who persecute us.

Rainbow Mage

I'm honestly not trying to say that there isn't a problem. I acknowledge that there is a serious problem. That the treatment that homosexuals face is unacceptable.

Ok so what's the problem? You acknowledge there is a mistreatment of GLBT people that goes on. What is your issue with us standing up for ourselves against those who would like to stomp all over our rights?

Jeremiah

I am sorry to say that I can't see any point behind this thread except to criticize gay people for speaking out against those who persecute us.

I don't think there is a point, Mr.Blood was just irritated and wanted to vex. And what better way to release, then by some good old fashion gay bashing?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
My problem with your rants are that you're dismissive of what is really happening. And that you're frustrated and angry over IMO the wrong things. If you went this ballstic over how irrational homophobes are, you won't have this many of RF's GLBTQ community breathing down your neck.
How am I being dismissive? I am acknowledging what is happening. I'm being dismissive of the exaggerations.

Can you point me to some evidence that problems are as bad as what I claim to be exaggerations?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Ok so what's the problem? You acknowledge there is a mistreatment of GLBT people that goes on. What is your issue with us standing up for ourselves against those who would like to stomp all over our rights?
If you aren't willing to actually read what I've stated in this thread, then please don't waste my time. As I've stated over and over again, my issue is with people like you who grossly exaggerate the problem, and in turn, are being intolerant and hateful yourself.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I take the point as: queers can criticize, but we can't criticize TOO much.
Then you haven't read what I've stated. My point has been very clear. I have a problem with the exaggerations that have been presented. If you can show me that they are not exaggerations, then I will retract what I'm saying.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
If anyone can show me, at all, that the exaggerations that I posted are false, I will retract what I'm saying. It is as easy as that.

Rainbow Mage

If you aren't willing to actually read what I've stated in this thread, then please don't waste my time. As I've stated over and over again, my issue is with people like you who grossly exaggerate the problem, and in turn, are being intolerant and hateful yourself.

How am I exaggerating?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
How am I exaggerating?
LuisDantas had asked what I thought the exaggerations were. I will repost my reply to him:

We have had a couple in this thread. The one is that a homosexual can not walk down the street without being fearful. That a homosexual can not walk out their door without being fearful. That homosexuals don't have any rights. I guess that is three, but they went hand in hand.

Another is that fundamental Christians all hate homosexuals and mirror the Westboro Baptist Church. That simply is not the case.

Relating to the previous one, the idea that fundamental Christians, as a whole, are out there conspiring against homosexuals, and other choice minorities (I honestly don't know what these minorities are, as it has never been stated, or at least I don't recall) to basically get rid of them.

I did say that they claim that there struggle is equal to the black struggle a few decades past, but I do want to publicly retract that one.

Now, I also acknowledge that it is a minority within the homosexual community that are making these sentiments.

This is the third time I've reposted this. If you can show me that these exaggerations are false, I will retract what I stated.

Rainbow Mage

LuisDantas had asked what I thought the exaggerations were. I will repost my reply to him:

We have had a couple in this thread. The one is that a homosexual can not walk down the street without being fearful. That a homosexual can not walk out their door without being fearful. That homosexuals don't have any rights. I guess that is three, but they went hand in hand.

It's true. We can't go into public without having to wonder in the back of our minds if we're in danger, or if the person sitting next to us is a homophobe.

Another is that fundamental Christians all hate homosexuals and mirror the Westboro Baptist Church. That simply is not the case.

Please show me where it's not the case

Relating to the previous one, the idea that fundamental Christians, as a whole, are out there conspiring against homosexuals, and other choice minorities (I honestly don't know what these minorities are, as it has never been stated, or at least I don't recall) to basically get rid of them.

Does Leviticus ring a bell? They love quoting Leviticus against gay people.

I did say that they claim that there struggle is equal to the black struggle a few decades past, but I do want to publicly retract that one.

How is it not? Gay people have been fighting for our rights for over 60 years. We still haven't gotten nearly as far as we should.

Now, I also acknowledge that it is a minority within the homosexual community that are making these sentiments.

How nice of you

This is the third time I've reposted this. If you can show me that these exaggerations are false, I will retract what I stated.

They're not false

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
It's true. We can't go into public without having to wonder in the back of our minds if we're in danger, or if the person sitting next to us is a homophobe.
In the back of your mind. I have to wonder in the back of my mind whether or not I'm going to get hit by a bus while walking across the street. Really, the two aren't the same. Wondering in the back of your mind, and actually being fearful about walking out in public about being attacked or the like is very different. I would accept what you're saying now.
Please show me where it's not the case
You've been shown this over and over again.
Does Leviticus ring a bell? They love quoting Leviticus against gay people.
Some do. Can you prove that all do? You've already been shown you are wrong about fundamentalists. In your own thread, a fundamentalist stood up and showed that you were wrong. My experience as a fundamentalist shows that you're wrong.

How is it not? Gay people have been fighting for our rights for over 60 years. We still haven't gotten nearly as far as we should.
I retracted that. This is exactly what I have stated that you are not actually reading what I'm saying.

You haven't shown them not to be false. You didn't even address all of the points I made.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
How am I being dismissive? I am acknowledging what is happening. I'm being dismissive of the exaggerations.

Can you point me to some evidence that problems are as bad as what I claim to be exaggerations?

No, I won't. It will be a waste of time since you've proven time and time again you care little about the complaints of many of us GLBTQs in this thread, and care most about how badly fundamentalist Christians are misrepresented, misunderstood, or mischaracterized by us loudmouthed queers.

From the OP and the title of the thread, everything you've said has pointed a heated finger toward gays and lesbians, and very little ire at the source of the problem. My suggestion is to stop being so defensive, take that anger and frustration, and do something useful with it....you know, like marching for equality for us. Otherwise, all you're doing is sort of like kicking a wounded animal.

Anyway, I've said everything I could about the topic. We've been dancing in circles long enough. Take care.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There is another issue: Parents who reject their own children because of sexual preference. I have known people personally (Including a roommate I had in the Navy)who were disowned by their parents. I find that very, very sad.