• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do innocent children go to Heaven or Hell?

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
Not a fan of the Universalists huh? I made the comment because you said you weren't sure that Hell actually existed, and the Universalists steadfastly believe that Hell does not exist and humanity is universaly saved. You may notice that I call my self a Unitarian even though I go to the Unitarian Universalist church. That's because I'm a Unitarian Christian rather than a Universalists. I don't believe you can have a Heaven without a Hell. I have to much Taoism in me. :p

I believe what the scriptures teach, that at the general ressurection the wick will be cast into the "lake of fire" aka "Hell/Gehenna(place of burning" where they will be consumed, not a Universalist

This is not what I call a Fundie.

I'm a Young Earth Annihilationist, what more do you want?

Now this is exactly what I call a Fundie.

That's a bit harsh, sure they might be consider as such, but just because I'm not as in your face about it and don't hide Biblical truths about God's love and fairness don't mean I ain't a Fundie

Walkntune

The book of Romans says that everything created knows it's creator and is without excuse. What is apparent is that while the name of Christ saves it may not be incumbant that one know the proper name of God to be saved.
I like that. Kind of reminds me of when you pray in the name of Jesus it doesn't mean you say in the name of Jesus when you pray.

muslim-

In Islam theres different opinions, but most held opinions is that either they go to heaven, or that God will test them on the day of judgement and based on that they enter either heaven or hell.

So you're saying that the punishment will fit the crime for everyone, not just children. I like that but doesn't it go against the tenet that the only way into Heaven is through Christ? And isn't the only other option Hell? I know many Christians who will not budge on this and believe there are no exceptions at all.

I think there is an intermediate region of the spiritual world, which is neither heaven nor hell. Most likely that would be the destination of innocent children, as well as righteous people of various faiths.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
How do you know primitive cultures were not yet ready to see God as we see him and instead saw him through the filters of their culture? The pantheon that they worshiped may have been nothing more than individual aspects of the same God you worship today.
The Bible clearly condemns certain cultures who, say, worshipped Dagon or Baal or other false gods. You seem to wish to ignore the point that I've reitterated from Romans that every thing created knows it's creator. It is this creator God, whether you choose to call Him Yahweh or Jim that needs to be accepted not a fertility goddess or some such "lesser god."

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Could you please provide some scriptural support for the statement that children are born with the knowledge of good and evil? I'm unaware of anywhere in the Bible where are we told such a thing.
It's implied, I believe. Since through Adam, death passed upon all mankind, and that death is because man cannot have both the knowledge of good and evil and live forever that I make the implication. If offspring did not have that knowledge then why ban them from the Tree of Life? Or how do children gain that knowledge later?

Trey of Diamonds

The Bible clearly condemns certain cultures who, say, worshipped Dagon or Baal or other false gods. You seem to wish to ignore the point that I've reitterated from Romans that every thing created knows it's creator. It is this creator God, whether you choose to call Him Yahweh or Jim that needs to be accepted not a fertility goddess or some such "lesser god."

How do you know that the fertility goddess was not God appearing to a culture that was not ready to see him as we see him. So they are worshipping God by calling him a fertility goddess. Does a child understand everything that you do as an adult? Does their understanding of things not change as they grow older? Can this not also happen with a people? Who are we to say that the fertility goddess of old was not the same God we worship today, only seen through the eyes of the children we once were? I think this fits with the created knows the creator just fine, considering what we know changes as we change.

Landerage

Araknor
Little childrens, as well as people with mental disabilities goes to heaven no matter what they done, as muslims beleive.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
How do you know that the fertility goddess was not God appearing to a culture that was not ready to see him as we see him. So they are worshipping God by calling him a fertility goddess. Does a child understand everything that you do as an adult? Does their understanding of things not change as they grow older? Can this not also happen with a people? Who are we to say that the fertility goddess of old was not the same God we worship today, only seen through the eyes of the children we once were? I think this fits with the created knows the creator just fine, considering what we know changes as we change.
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3 KJV

Trey of Diamonds

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3 KJV

Yeah, yeah, I know the dogma. My personal belief is this is just human competition sneaking into spirituality. God didn't care what gods man worshiped as they were all him in the end. It was priests who cared who worshiped who as that was their power base. I know you wont agree with me but its still what I believe.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Yeah, yeah, I know the dogma. My personal belief is this is just human competition sneaking into spirituality. God didn't care what gods man worshiped as they were all him in the end. It was priests who cared who worshiped who as that was their power base. I know you wont agree with me but its still what I believe.
Any old name will do?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?
Igor: Then you won't be angry?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.
Igor: Abby someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby... Normal.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?
Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's implied, I believe. Since through Adam, death passed upon all mankind, and that death is because man cannot have both the knowledge of good and evil and live forever that I make the implication. If offspring did not have that knowledge then why ban them from the Tree of Life? Or how do children gain that knowledge later?
I guess it's implied to you. It's not to me. I believe we die because Adam brought death into the world. We also inherit from him our human nature, and with it, the propensity to sin. I don't believe we actually become sinners, though, until we sin -- meaning choose to disobey God's commandments. I believe that children are born free from sin, but as they come to understand the difference between good and evil, will inevitably be drawn towards bad choices (i.e. sinful behavior).

Protester

Ah, you folks should know that Webster 1913 Dictionary is free and of course uncoprighted so, you can take material out it from you're heart's content.:yes:

Webster's 1913 Dictionary
PAGAN:

Pagan /Pa´gan/ (pā´gan), n. [L. paganus a countryman, peasant, villager, a pagan, fr. paganus of or pertaining to the country, rustic, also, pagan, fr. pagus a district, canton, the country, perh. orig., a district with fixed boundaries: cf. pangere to fasten. Cf. Painim, Peasant, and Pact, also Heathen.] One who worships false gods; an idolater; a heathen; one who is neither a Christian, a Mohammedan, nor a Jew.
Neither having the accent of Christians, nor the gait of Christian, pagan, nor man. Shak.
Syn. -- Gentile; heathen; idolater. -- Pagan, Gentile, Heathen. Gentile was applied to the other nations of the earth as distinguished from the Jews. Pagan was the name given to idolaters in the early Christian church, because the villagers, being most remote from the centers of instruction, remained for a long time unconverted. Heathen has the same origin. Pagan is now more properly applied to rude and uncivilized idolaters, while heathen embraces all who practice idolatry.
Pagan /Pa´gan/, a. [L. paganus of or pertaining to the country, pagan. See Pagan, n.] Of or pertaining to pagans; relating to the worship or the worshipers of false goods; heathen; idolatrous, as, pagan tribes or superstitions.
And all the rites of pagan honor paid. Dryden.

I saw in an Encyclopedia many years ago, and the above definitions refers to indirectly is that the early Roman Christians were all these sophisticated city people, while the country types were polytheistic, so the country bumpkin wasn't usually a Christian and "pagan" is what a country bumpkin was back in the days of the Roman Empire.:rolleyes:

The Easton Dictionary had this:

HEATHEN:
(Heb. plural goyum). At first the word _goyim_ denoted generally all the nations of the world (Gen. 18:18; comp. Gal. 3:8). The Jews afterwards became a people distinguished in a marked manner from the other _goyim_. They were a separate people (Lev. 20:23; 26:14-45; Deut. 28), and the other nations, the Amorites, Hittites, etc., were the _goyim_, the heathen, with whom the Jews were forbidden to be associated in any way (Josh. 23:7; 1 Kings 11:2). The practice of idolatry was the characteristic of these nations, and hence the word came to designate idolaters (Ps. 106:47; Jer. 46:28; Lam. 1:3; Isa. 36:18), the wicked (Ps. 9:5, 15, 17). The corresponding Greek word in the New Testament, _ethne_, has similar shades of meaning. In Acts 22:21, Gal. 3:14, it denotes the people of the earth generally; and in Matt. 6:7, an idolater. In modern usage the word denotes all nations that are strangers to revealed religion.

Heathen is used quite a bit in the King James Version of the bible, but not in many of the others for example:

Psalms 2
1Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, 3Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. 4He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. 5Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure
Psalms 46
3Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. 4There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. 5God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early. 6The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
Acts 4:25
22For the man was above forty years old, on whom this miracle of healing was shewed. 23And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them. 24And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is: 25Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?
---KJV

I think most modern versions use nations such as the World English Bible does, example:
Acts 4
24When they heard it, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, “O Lord, you are God, who made the heaven, the earth, the sea, and all that is in them; 25who by the mouth of your servant, David, said,
‘Why do the nations rage,
and the peoples plot a vain thing?
26The kings of the earth take a stand,
and the rulers take council together,
against the Lord, and against his Christ.’

Take a look at this site for different treatments for Acts 25most modern version use "nations," but a few like the most accurate one the NASB uses "Gentiles"
http://classic.net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Act&chapter=4&verse=25

religion99

What happens to innocents when they die and have not had the chance to accept Christ as their savior? What about the children of Wiccans? Atheists? Buddhists? Any of these children who die say, before the age of 2, are they condemned to Hell because they haven't been baptised or christened in a Christian ritual?

Obviously this is a question for the Christians out there but lets hear everyone's opinion on the subject.
According to Jainism , They will go to Heaven , Hell or Earth depending on their behavior in previous births.

Muffled

Jesus in me
According to Jainism , They will go to Heaven , Hell or Earth depending on their behavior in previous births.

That makes sense. However in Christian theology getting to Heaven doesn't depend on what you do. However getting to Hell does depend on what you do.

A child is simply a spirit in a youthful body. I believe that God isn't creating any new spirits and the ones entering bodies do so after having lived many lives. As such that spirit has pre-conditioning that will determine its destination.

For instance if I were to die and return as a baby I would already be pre-conditioned as a Christian and therfore go to Heaven (if I wished). If a child is already preconditioned in some other religion there isn't much chance that the person will go to Heaven.

I believe entrance into Hell is an end-time event and no-one goes there until the world ends. At that time most of those alive who are not raptured will be swallowed up into Hell. Later when Satan is thrown into Hell those who were dead at the time will go to Hell if the bad outwieghs the good.

Then there are the tweeners who don't go to Heaven or Hell or even get a life on earth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
In Islam theres different opinions, but most held opinions is that either they go to heaven, or that God will test them on the day of judgement and based on that they enter either heaven or hell.

Opinions don't count for much.

Su 67:16 Do ye feel secure that He Who is in Heaven will not cause you to be swallowed up by the earth when it shakes as in an earthquake?

Su 52:11 Then woe that Day to those that treat Truth as Falsehood; —
12 That play and paddle in shallow trifles.
13 That Day shall they be thrust down to the Fire of Hell, irresistibly.

Protester

Last edited: