• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you not ask yourself "what if I am wrong?"

Lady B

noob
I am not a Christian but this is a way too negative a view of Christianity. I know and read many Christians and none that I know have the silly idea they can break moral codes because they have an insurance policy. This sounds so anti-Christian that I have to defend them.
:) thankyou

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Hmm.. looks like this us just addressed to atheists, but as it's not specified....

I have been bouncing around the different threads and I see so much false assurance,but what if your wrong?
I have been wrong before, yet, at the time I was right. What changed was the information I had, so I realise now that I once was wrong, but now am right. I'm sure that I will at some point get some new information, making my current right... wrong.

In all due respect can an atheist have peace?
I know some very peaceful atheists. I also know some not-so-peaceful atheists. Are you trying to suggest that peace and atheism cannot go hand in hand?

Is there no higher power then science?
You are incorrect in saying that science is a power. I see science, in a funny way, being like religions - another way of looking at the world and trying to make sense of it. Science, like religion, is a method you can use to make sense of the madness.

Do you really sleep well at night content with no God?
Which god? I have heard of countless ones. I'm fairly convinced that for every person on earth there is a different concept of who or what "God" is or means.

What happens after death?
Not entirely sure. I'm positive I'll find out when I get there though.

Where are your loved ones?
They're around. Some of them aren't.

Is earthly life all you strive for and death is the end of you?
I have an earthly life. Doesn't make sense for me to strive for something I already have. Death is indeed the end of my physical existence in this body.

Are you so sure, really?
I'm pretty sure, yes.

What if...just What if your wrong? What are the consequences of your denial?
:thud:
I'm certain I'm not wrong. But like I said, I might get some new information at a later point, which would make me wrong now, with hindsight.

Consequences of denial will probably depend on who you ask. I assume the question is focused on your concept of who and what "God" is, so I guess that you're probably the best person to ask what the consequences might be if I was to deny your god-concept

Me Myself

Back to my username
And what is the view you agree with about christianity? with all due respect it is not a conservative view, It is the pillars of the faith, you can't very well take Christ out of Christian can you?

Well, I expand Christ to a nature, not a carpenter born 2000 years ago.

I am the way and the life is pretty much hinduism talking. Jesus is talking about how we all are gods (he mentioned this in John) and how he is all of us (when you did this to my brothers...)

So you cannot enter heaven without Christ, but Christ is not the name "Christ" but the nature, the will. The will and nature to love your brothers and sisters.

That is Christ, doesnt matter if he is called John, Lucy, Nathan or Pablo or if s/he is hinduist, buddhist, Shintoist or atheist humanist.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
And what is the view you agree with about christianity? with all due respect it is not a conservative view, It is the pillars of the faith, you can't very well take Christ out of Christian can you?

Jesus teachings such as the 'Love thy neighbor part' and the golden rule part. etc..

Where in Jesus' words does he take an exclusivist position about Christianity. There was a whole world the people he spoke to knew nothing about. India, China, etc.. Jesus could not have possibly talked about them at all. Jesus' audience was just the local people of his little speck of the globe and they were all of the Jewish tradition of the times.

Lady B

noob
Well, I expand Christ to a nature, not a carpenter born 2000 years ago.

I am the way and the life is pretty much hinduism talking. Jesus is talking about how we all are gods (he mentioned this in John) and how he is all of us (when you did this to my brothers...)

So you cannot enter heaven without Christ, but Christ is not the name "Christ" but the nature, the will. The will and nature to love your brothers and sisters.

That is Christ, doesnt matter if he is called John, Lucy, Nathan or Pablo or if s/he is hinduist, buddhist, Shintoist or atheist humanist.

Again with all due respect, Jesus did not say men are God's he was referring to the book of psalms about those appointed as judges on earth being they were given the law.
“Are you not Gods?” Meaning, are you not also supposed to be keeping and ruling according to the Law? Are you not also not also supposed to be faithful to the Law you who received it from God?

In anyway shape or form did Jesus say men are God's, this is a misinterpretation.

You are free to believe in your own Christ, but please don't quote the bible as giving you permissions.

InfidelRiot

In anyway shape or form did Jesus say men are God's, this is a misinterpretation.

Man's interpretation always seems to coincide with what he wishes it to be, and the wonder of it all is that no one can agree on a single interpretation for any single scripture in the bible. Considering this very real fact, one wonders how one knows for certain whether an interpretation is accurate when compared to another and exactly how one can be so egotistical as to assume that one's own interpretation must be the only correct one just the same as one's religion is the only right one.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Again with all due respect, Jesus did not say men are God's he was referring to the book of psalms about those appointed as judges on earth being they were given the law.
“Are you not Gods?” Meaning, are you not also supposed to be keeping and ruling according to the Law? Are you not also not also supposed to be faithful to the Law you who received it from God?

You are free to believe in your own Christ, but please don't quote the bible as giving you permissions.

If he was then it would have made no sense.

He was asked "Why do you that are a man say you are god?" and Jesus replied "Dont the scriptures say "you are gods?" "

So he was saying "of course I am god. Read your scriptures"

Your interpretation is non better than mine and I would see yours as inferior even. I ll quote freely.

waitasec

Veteran Member

and who was this christ?

there is no way of determining that.

otokage007

I have discovered in some instances, many in fact, I have been wrong.
I'm open to anyone at anytime to consider where I am depriving myself unjustly or injuring another.
Part of being alive and having a truly genuine life is keeping your eyes and ears open.

That which I understand God to be, I have seen face to face with my own eyes.
Therefore, you are going to have a rather difficult time convincing me I didn't see Him.

Well if you say you have seen him, ok :/ But baby, are u sure u have seen him? don't delude yourself.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Originally Posted by kylixguru
That which I understand God to be, I have seen face to face with my own eyes.
Therefore, you are going to have a rather difficult time convincing me I didn't see Him.

You have come face to face with your own understanding. This is generally what human beings do, whether they do so cognizantly or not.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I'm no fan of vain superstition, especially in the name of God.
Nor am I a fan of "do what ya gotta do to survive" either.

curious, how did you get that out of this?
That or we focus on what is important for each of us to exist rather than living under superstitions to propagate cultural ideals and metaphysical nonsense.

To ensure that all of us as human beings possess the basics regardless of any wish fulfillment is far better than upholding religious traditions ensuring ritualistic nonsense.

:shrug:

What if you are wrong and only people who believe in eternal hell can go there? :p
Good point.

This question also gives a whole new meaning to that phrase in the bible, "Be it unto you according to your faith".

If things are unto us according to the contents of our faith, it might behoove one to remove the hell-concept from their paradigm post haste, to prevent it from coming back to bite 'em in the end. :yes:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Did I miss it, or was the question answered as to what if the consequence to being wrong wasn't just nothingness?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Perhaps I got lost in the shuffle. It happens. Here is a reminder of what I asked so no digging is necessary:

you reverse my question: what if i am wrong? my answer is this, If I am wrong , my mind only sees blackness, nothing just nothing ........

How would you know that? What if you are wrong about those consequences? Perhaps it's not so black and white as you seem to think it is. You seem to leave out the possibility that there may indeed be something afterward, something beyond death, it just might not be what you think it is. What then? What if you die and it isn't blackness, it isn't nothing, there's something, but it isn't anything like what you thought or believed or prepared yourself for at all?

In other words, what if you are wrong,...on both counts?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Actually it's your breath. I didn't want to say anything...

Is that pimple on my forehead oozing again?

That's a pimple? I thought that was an abscess. :eek:

Thanks for letting me know about my breath. I blame the heavy amount of alcohol, drugs, and sexual liaisons I've gotten into this morning because of my lack of direction in life without a god.