• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you really think you are helping anyone?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
but then again, had it been a satanist...would you still think he was well within his right to pray to satan in front of a god fearing audience?

If that is what the audience wants. As I said, I would a right to not go if I didn't want to hear it or I could leave the room until it was over. We all have rights, not just some of us.

waitasec

Veteran Member
If that is what the audience wants. As I said, I would a right to not go if I didn't want to hear it or I could leave the room until it was over. We all have rights, not just some of us.

let me get this straight...
so you condone a mob mentality rather than adhering to principals?
really? :shrug: :confused:

Draka

Wonder Woman
You know, I know there was this atheist guy who did the door to door thing for hoots, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to get a list of local missionaries who go door to door and get their addresses and turn the tables? Just how would missionary JWs and Mormons and Baptists and so on in your area react if a local Wiccan or Luciferian or Hindu were to come and knock on their door and push pamphlets about their religion and preach at them? I wonder how well it would go over?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You know, I know there was this atheist guy who did the door to door thing for hoots, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to get a list of local missionaries who go door to door and get their addresses and turn the tables? Just how would missionary JWs and Mormons and Baptists and so on in your area react if a local Wiccan or Luciferian or Hindu were to come and knock on their door and push pamphlets about their religion and preach at them? I wonder how well it would go over?

methinks you would encounter a double standard ... rather quickly too.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
but kathryn you are living in the US...where it's liberty and justice for all
not the majority

edit:
check this out
http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...bates/115880-long-i-have-religion-i-dont.html

i am almost certain if a devil worshiper were to lead people in prayer in a graduation ceremony in a public highschool...we'd have a completely different story?
or would you defend the devil worshipers right?

I would absolutely defend his/her right.

I'm quite consistent.

Kathryn

Exactly. ALL the students however, Kathryn, not just the majority that just happen to be Christian......

I agree - and if a Wiccan or Muslim or whatever student wants to pray in public or lead a prayer at an event, more power to 'em.

Kathryn

They have the right - just as much as any other group does. If they feel compelled or feel some sort of moral urge to do so, I recommend they exercise their right to do so.

Draka

Wonder Woman
They have the right - just as much as any other group does. If they feel compelled or feel some sort of moral urge to do so, I recommend they exercise their right to do so.

Well that's the thing isn't it? Just because those religions have the "right" to be rude doesn't mean that they will be. The point was, I just wonder how those particular people who actually make a point to proselytize would take to being preached to about certain other religions.

Kathryn

Well that's the thing isn't it? Just because those religions have the "right" to be rude doesn't mean that they will be. The point was, I just wonder how those particular people who actually make a point to proselytize would take to being preached to about certain other religions.

It's your right or anyone else's to go find out.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I wonder if we could legally charge those arrogant fools who come to our houses to spew their gospel to us with trespassing?

Do these people not have any respect for the people they preach to or are their heads jammed that far up their own backsides?

Kathryn

I wonder if we could legally charge those arrogant fools who come to our houses to spew their gospel to us with trespassing?

Do these people not have any respect for the people they preach to or are their heads jammed that far up their own backsides?

As far as I know, you have to legally warn someone off your property (by calling the police who make a report out) in order for it to be criminal trespass the second time.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
let me get this straight...
so you condone a mob mentality rather than adhering to principals?
really? :shrug: :confused:

Mob mentality? Is that how you see it?? If 100 people are in a room and 98 want something that the other 2 don't want, you think they should just not do it because they may offend those 2? I am sorry, I just don't agree with that kind of thinking. I do have feelings for those 2, but the 98 have rights too. Or do you think only the minority of a group should have rights?:confused::confused:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Mob mentality? Is that how you see it?? If 100 people are in a room and 98 want something that the other 2 don't want, you think they should just not do it because they may offend those 2? I am sorry, I just don't agree with that kind of thinking. I do have feelings for those 2, but the 98 have rights too. Or do you think only the minority of a group should have rights?:confused::confused:

it is liberty and justice for all not for the majority...that is the principal...right?
so the 98 out of 100 should follow what the mob wants...
let me put it to you like this.
the 98 white people should use the drinking fountain in the lobby while the 2 negros have to drink from the outside fountain...
what's the difference?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
it is liberty and justice for all not for the majority...that is the principal...right?
so the 98 out of 100 should follow what the mob wants...
let me put it to you like this.
the 98 white people should use the drinking fountain in the lobby while the 2 negros have to drink from the outside fountain...
what's the difference?

We think A LOT differently. I guess next time we elect a president, we should go with the one with the least votes, or we will have a president by a mob mentality. And how in the heck did race get into this and civil rights? Are you saying that we have to choose between my rights and your rights? We don't have to. Praying does not infringe on your rights at all, no matter what you say. If you don't want to pray, then you don't have to pray- no one will force you and no one would even notice if you don't pray. People praying at a graduation ceremony in no way infringes on your rights, at least in my view. It is not the same thing as the drinking fountain scenario and that is the one thing you said that offended me.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
the only way to not offend anyone is to not offend anyone...it's really simple.

The one thing we all have to remember is that the whole world doesn't revolve around our wants and our needs. There are billions of people in the world and they all have different wants and different needs. If you choose to be offended by prayer by others, that is your choice. If I choose to be offended because you compared my statements to something ugly like racism or bigotry, then that is my choice.
Live and let live is my motto. That is all I am going to say on the subject. I hope to see you in another debate soon.

waitasec

Veteran Member
We think A LOT differently. I guess next time we elect a president, we should go with the one with the least votes, or we will have a president by a mob mentality. And how in the heck did race get into this and civil rights? Are you saying that we have to choose between my rights and your rights? We don't have to. Praying does not infringe on your rights at all, no matter what you say. If you don't want to pray, then you don't have to pray- no one will force you and no one would even notice if you don't pray. People praying at a graduation ceremony in no way infringes on your rights, at least in my view. It is not the same thing as the drinking fountain scenario and that is the one thing you said that offended me.
how is voting offensive?
everyone gets to vote...there was a time when women couldn't vote...that was offensive...there was a time when african americans couldn't vote, that was offensive too..

there was a time when it was considered offensive that blacks share the same fountain as whites...

some people don't want to hear the lords prayer and they shouldn't be subjected to hearing it ESPECIALLY in a PUBLIC school graduation ceremony...

my rights ends where yours begins...if i continue to push my right by infringing on yours it becomes an issue of control.

waitasec

Veteran Member
The one thing we all have to remember is that the whole world doesn't revolve around our wants and our needs. There are billions of people in the world and they all have different wants and different needs. If you choose to be offended by prayer by others, that is your choice. If I choose to be offended because you compared my statements to something ugly like racism or bigotry, then that is my choice.
Live and let live is my motto. That is all I am going to say on the subject. I hope to see you in another debate soon.

i was not calling you a racist...
i was only comparing your idea with the mob mentality of racism...
it's not right.