• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you really think you are helping anyone?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When I have kids I will be ensuring they are free from indoctrination until they're of sufficient age.

What's your 'sufficient age'. Mine would be legally adult; here in Canada it's 18. So if a person younger than that came to my temple, and started asking questions about Hinduism, I would phone their parents to see if it was okay. Most of the time it would be. Of course I might make an exception if some kid was out of the house and already independent.

At the schools, at least here in my province, a teacher in the so-called public system is not allowed to disclose their religion, let alone discuss it. It doesn't work very well in practice though. Its just really hard to do. In a smaller community, A student might see you in church. It was a lot like a lot of other value based things. I couldn't easily hide my vegetarianism, for example. At 'Teacher Appreciation Day, for example, parents would provide lunch, and I certainly wasn't about to compromise my dietary principles just so they wouldn't know. In the end though, after 25 years in the same school, very few people ever came to know I was a Hindu. Those who did did so after a long association; perhaps me having taught 3 or 4 kids from one family.

Some teachers openly went against the policy though, like putting up heavily Christianized Easter displays. No one ever complained much, because they were afraid that they's be ostracised, or worse, thought of as a troublemaker.

I tried to opt out of the annual Christmas concert, and was successful for several years. Finally I just gave in to the subtle pressure, and went along, albeit not with a lot of conviction. I usually spent far more time at my temple during those times, just to balance out the impressions in my subconscious.

waitasec

Veteran Member
If it bothered me, I wouldn't voluntarily hang out in RF so much of the time!

As for it being mentioned at my favorite pasttime - they can have at it. If enough people are offended, the pasttime will be affected, as well as the probable economic consequences of such pasttime.

That's called freedom of speech and free enterprise - two concepts that I support whole heartedly.

rightly so..it is also your choice to login...

A

angellous_evangellous

When you evangelize and preach your religion to other people?

Do you really think that other people want to hear you chastise their beliefs and tell them they believe wrong and that they should believe what you believe? Do you have any idea how rude and narcissistic you come off to others when you preach at them and quote scripture at them? Do you honestly think that tactic really helps anyone?

This isn't directed at anyone in particular here, but I know there are some here who like to "spread the word" as it were and really wonder if they think they are helping at all?

My rule of thumb is that I never talk religion with anyone (Christian or otherwise) unless I am asked. I'm invited to conversation a lot because it usually doesn't take long for people to ask me what I do for a living. And then we just talk.

I don't "evangelize" unless the person asks me how to become a Christian.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
What's your 'sufficient age'. Mine would be legally adult; here in Canada it's 18. So if a person younger than that came to my temple, and started asking questions about Hinduism, I would phone their parents to see if it was okay. Most of the time it would be. Of course I might make an exception if some kid was out of the house and already independent.

At the schools, at least here in my province, a teacher in the so-called public system is not allowed to disclose their religion, let alone discuss it. It doesn't work very well in practice though. Its just really hard to do. In a smaller community, A student might see you in church. It was a lot like a lot of other value based things. I couldn't easily hide my vegetarianism, for example. At 'Teacher Appreciation Day, for example, parents would provide lunch, and I certainly wasn't about to compromise my dietary principles just so they wouldn't know. In the end though, after 25 years in the same school, very few people ever came to know I was a Hindu. Those who did did so after a long association; perhaps me having taught 3 or 4 kids from one family.

Some teachers openly went against the policy though, like putting up heavily Christianized Easter displays. No one ever complained much, because they were afraid that they's be ostracised, or worse, thought of as a troublemaker.

I tried to opt out of the annual Christmas concert, and was successful for several years. Finally I just gave in to the subtle pressure, and went along, albeit not with a lot of conviction. I usually spent far more time at my temple during those times, just to balance out the impressions in my subconscious.

I agree with pretty much all of what you've said. Where I live in Australia in year 7 (12 years of age) I was taught some of the christian ideals which were not supplemented by teachings of other religions. I will never let my kids experience that. I resent public school bias towards christianity in this country.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't know where you live but through five kids in public schools, spring break and Easter have NEVER lined up. As for Christmas break - you want to dismantle a winter holiday that also lines up with so many other traditions?

I believe that you can refrain from saying all or part of the pledge. I know that if you are in a court of law you are not required to use a bible to swear upon. There are many, many ways in which non religious people's rights are protected.

However, since 8 out of 10 people in the US are religious, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect to live a life free of any religious influence.

but kathryn, which religion has the most influence?
anything religious should stay religious...
the pledge was changed by a catholic organization in 1954 but was written in the 1800's
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
yet they open the session in prayer...?
"one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all"...but interestingly enough adding "under god" between nation and indivisible did what? divide.

as i said before...
it is ingrained in many aspects of our daily lives thereby solidifying the justification for it.
and because 8 out of 10 people adhere to these things it justifies the notion that it is normal not realizing it is exclusionary

and you have to also realize that because it has been exclusionary for so long and there's a growing movement of atheists
things are going to have to change...in which they are because of conversations like these happening more and more...
thank goodness.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

But even these policies are a relatively recent addition, aren't they?

I'm in Ontario. As late as 1985, I had a teacher start each day with the Lord's Prayer. All through elementary school (which was until 1991 for me), we would have daily assemblies for the entire week before the Christmas break where all the students in the school would be crammed into the gym to sing overtly Christian carols.

Honestly, I don't get this "I'm so offended by a prayer" thing. I know it's an overused statement but it does bear repeating at this point - you're guaranteed freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. Are you offended when you get Christmas Day off as a paid holiday? Are you offended by Christmas carols in public places?

Actually, yes you are guaranteed freedom FROM religion. The first Amendment guarantees both freedom of and from religion, by stating that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

Respect goes both ways.
Amen. I really enjoyed the story about the Muslim girl from your office. That is how things should be, everyone should be open to one another.

I get the whole idea of not putting religious beliefs in a secular setting, and to an extent, I agree that everyone should have their chance to pray. I would prefer a moment of silent prayer so that everyone could do their own thing, instead of a Christian prayer that is led aloud.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I get the whole idea of not putting religious beliefs in a secular setting, and to an extent, I agree that everyone should have their chance to pray. I would prefer a moment of silent prayer so that everyone could do their own thing, instead of a Christian prayer that is led aloud.
I think that even this is still fundamentally exclusionary. Some people don't pray at all. Some do, but not in public. Others have practices that this doesn't accommodate - for instance, my martial arts practices begin and end with Shinto-derived meditation at the beginning and the end.

Personally, I don't see the need for formal accommodation like this at all in secular, public settings. If you want to pray before an important meeting, you can do this before it's called to order... or even before you arrive. If you want to say grace before your meal, go for it, but don't expect all the people who don't follow your traditions to wait to start eating until after you're done.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Honestly, I don't get this "I'm so offended by a prayer" thing. I know it's an overused statement but it does bear repeating at this point - you're guaranteed freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

i don't think you're aware of the implications of this statement kathyrn,
are you saying as a citizen of the US of A who also does not adhere to any religion i do NOT have the FREEDOM from religion? really? i'm just free from other things but when it comes down to religion i have to put up and shut up?
is that what you mean? i don't think you do...but i just want to make sure.

Are you offended when you get Christmas Day off as a paid holiday? Are you offended by Christmas carols in public places?

why should national holidays have anything to do with religion...and why does the christian religion get recognized and not the jewish holiday?
why don't we all take rosh hashanah off.. or ramadan...?

looks like congress made a law respecting an establishment of a certain religion to me....
christmas should have stayed exclusively christian...it is now fused in the culture...which opens a whole other can of worms....every year

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If it bothered me, I wouldn't voluntarily hang out in RF so much of the time!

As for it being mentioned at my favorite pasttime - they can have at it. If enough people are offended, the pasttime will be affected, as well as the probable economic consequences of such pasttime.

That's called freedom of speech and free enterprise - two concepts that I support whole heartedly.
I think we're talking about two different things. Even with freedom of speech, it's possible to have opinions about the appropriateness of different forms of speech. For me at least, "speech so inappropriate I think it should be made illegal" is a much higher bar to meet than "speech I consider inappropriate".

But your response is basically that people should take it or leave it? Don't you think that it would be wise for motorsport organizers, for instance (to use my preferred pastime), to start asking themselves whether it's appropriate to slap Christian messages on events that aren't inherently religious at all even before some atheist boycott?

The fact that people do have the power to "vote with their feet" isn't a substitute for common courtesy, IMO.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But even these policies are a relatively recent addition, aren't they?

I'm in Ontario. As late as 1985, I had a teacher start each day with the Lord's Prayer. All through elementary school (which was until 1991 for me), we would have daily assemblies for the entire week before the Christmas break where all the students in the school would be crammed into the gym to sing overtly Christian carols.

Yes, they're relatively recent, and its generally the older teachers who just do what they always did. I doubt if they even know the changes. I can't wait until it gets challenged in court. But each school differs greatly. I live in as very multicultural area, but I taught in a WASP area. The Gideons, for example, are banished from most urban schools here, but in rural Alberta, they still come in and distribute them bibles.
I had a student once, who endured that, and said to me, after school. Mr. __, what the heck am I supposed to do with this thing. If my Dad sees it, he'll kill me. I told him to walk past the garbage bin on the way home.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, they're relatively recent, and its generally the older teachers who just do what they always did. I doubt if they even know the changes. I can't wait until it gets challenged in court. But each school differs greatly. I live in as very multicultural area, but I taught in a WASP area. The Gideons, for example, are banished from most urban schools here, but in rural Alberta, they still come in and distribute them bibles.
Most schools, maybe... but they're still in a suprisingly high number of urban areas. The Niagara District School Board was the centre of a dispute last year when some parents appealed to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal over the fact that the Gideons were distributing Bibles to their children in public school. Since then, the board changed their policy, but what they did was open the doors to any religious group looking to distribute material instead of simply kicking the Gideons out.

I had a student once, who endured that, and said to me, after school. Mr. __, what the heck am I supposed to do with this thing. If my Dad sees it, he'll kill me. I told him to walk past the garbage bin on the way home.
I've still got the Gideon Bible I got in elementary school. They marched all of our grade (4? 5? Can't remember now) down to the gym where the principal gave a little speech about the importance of the Bible, and then we were lined up and given our Bibles.

At the time, it never occurred to me to go against my principal by refusing it - it just wasn't something I would've done. But in retrospect, I consider what happened a rather awful abuse of the public school system.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Most schools, maybe... but they're still in a suprisingly high number of urban areas. The Niagara District School Board was the centre of a dispute last year when some parents appealed to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal over the fact that the Gideons were distributing Bibles to their children in public school. Since then, the board changed their policy, but what they did was open the doors to any religious group looking to distribute material instead of simply kicking the Gideons out.

I think that's because they feel confident no one else will, either for lacking of will, or money. Where are the Hare Krishnas or Moslems or anyone else when you need them? Maybe the JWs and the Mormons should be told about this. If there was a lineup of several religious groups at eh schools doors, maybe admin would have some guts and ban them all.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think that's because they feel confident no one else will, either for lacking of will, or money.
Yeah... I think that's the idea: continue with the status quo while paying lip-service to the idea of equality.

Where are the Hare Krishnas or Moslems or anyone else when you need them? Maybe the JWs and the Mormons should be told about this. If there was a lineup of several religious groups at eh schools doors, maybe admin would have some guts and ban them all.
The parents who launched the complaint with the Tribunal are secular humanists, and their hope was to stop public schools from distributing religious materials altogether. One article I read (though I'm not sure how much I trust the source) said that the father is trying to get copies of a children's introduction book on freethought with the intent of getting them distributed in his daughter's school in order to bring the issue to a head and actually get what he wanted in the first place.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I wouldn't have thought it would be unreasonable though. You Yanks are very good at making a big song and dance out of separation of church and state but it doesnt appear to work so well in practice.

I sometimes feel freedom of religion and freedom from religion should be one in the same to cater for all beliefs given that many people consider non-belief a belief in itself. When I have kids I will be ensuring they are free from indoctrination until they're of sufficient age.

When 8 out of 10 people hold religious beliefs, you don't think it's unreasonable for the non religious to run into these beliefs fairly regularly? Wow, why not?

As for the separation of church and state, we do not have a state sponsored or sanctioned Church. Tax dollars do not go toward supporting any particular Church. States do not have the right to establish a state sponsored religion, nor does the federal government.

This does not mean that those who do not hold religious beliefs are guaranteed a life free from any sort of religious influence. Nor does it mean that it's the state or federal government's responsibility to ensure that they are never influenced by religion.

When you have kids, let me know how you somehow manage to keep your personal biases and ideas about religion from influencing the way you address religious topics and ideas - which they will surely ask you about.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If you're arguing for something else, i.e. that all religions should have a place in public life and government, then you should realize that this is something brand new that has never really existed. In general, religious societies are ones where the denomination in power is free, but other denominations are repressed. I think the only way to avoid this is to ensure that no religion is granted a position of power or status.

I am saying that all religions which don't violate laws should be respected and given "room" for expression as people see fit or feel led - as long as they are not violating the rights of others in the process. When I say "rights," I want to clarify that I am not aware that it's anyone's "right" to live a life completely insulated from the possibility of witnessing someone else practice or express their religious beliefs.

I never said that all religions should have a place in government - I don't even know what that means. Please clarify.

In general, religious societies are ones where the denomination in power is free, but other denominations are repressed.

I live in Texas. In Texas, Tex-Mex restaurants abound. There's a preponderence of them in fact. But when I travel to Iowa, there aren't very many Tex Mex restaurants. Does this mean that Tex Mex restaurants in Iowa are REPRESSED? I somehow doubt it. There's just not much of a following, apparently. If there were, there'd be more Tex Mex restaurants. Supply and demand.

If there's a local demand for yet another Baptist church to be built, you can rest assured that someone will build it.

In my town, there was a local demand for a large mosque. Voila! It was built - and a few years later it added a very large private school to it's grounds. Yes, in spite of the very large population of Southern Baptists around here, many of whom were quite, shall we say, CHAGRINED at the very notion that there are so many Muslims in this area who insist on openly practicing their faith. Dang it! ;)

That being said, there was no legal opposition to the facilities. In fact, I've never heard anyone, publically or privately, insinuate that the mosque and school shouldn't be there.

There's not much of a demand for Bahai buildings in my area apparently. And I guess there's not much demand for places for atheists to gather together. If there were, there'd be a building, I can assure you - and there'd be no legal recourse for those who might oppose such a building.

Free enterprise, baby. Supply and demand. Gotta love it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When 8 out of 10 people hold religious beliefs, you don't think it's unreasonable for the non religious to run into these beliefs fairly regularly? Wow, why not?
I think it is rather unreasonable.

This is one area where our country's cultures differ quite a bit.

Here's an example: one of our former Prime Ministers goes to my wife's church. I had no idea what his beliefs were until years after he retired when I looked down the pew and saw him praying. In all of his political career, I don't think he ever mentioned God or his faith once in a public speech. The issue just never came up. Apparently he's quite devout, but he never felt a need to wear his religion on his sleeve.

OTOH, look at the US: more often than not, a speech from your president - any president in recent memory - is going to include some explicit reference to God.

But it doesn't have to be that way. People don't need to show off their religion.

As for the separation of church and state, we do not have a state sponsored or sanctioned Church. Tax dollars do not go toward supporting any particular Church. States do not have the right to establish a state sponsored religion, nor does the federal government.
No, they go toward supporting every church. That's not church-state separation either. You don't have a state sponsored church; you have many state sponsored churches.

I am saying that all religions which don't violate laws should be respected and given "room" for expression as people see fit or feel led - as long as they are not violating the rights of others in the process. When I say "rights," I want to clarify that I am not aware that it's anyone's "right" to live a life completely insulated from the possibility of witnessing someone else practice or express their religious beliefs.
That's what you're saying? Because the comment I replied to - i.e. that people in Japan who don't like the fact that they have a state religion should just suck it up and deal, effectively - doesn't match what you're saying now.

I think it's inherently hypocritical to cite freedom of expression as the reason why one group of people should shut up and stop acting offended. Do you see the contradiction here?

I never said that all religions should have a place in government - I don't even know what that means. Please clarify.
I'm just trying to get a sense of what you're arguing for. You're throwing around catch-phrases that can be taken a few different ways.

I live in Texas. In Texas, Tex-Mex restaurants abound. There's a preponderence of them in fact. But when I travel to Iowa, there aren't very many Tex Mex restaurants. Does this mean that Tex Mex restaurants in Iowa are REPRESSED? I somehow doubt it. There's just not much of a following, apparently. If there were, there'd be more Tex Mex restaurants. Supply and demand.

If there's a local demand for yet another Baptist church to be built, you can rest assured that someone will build it.
None of this is what I'm talking about. Do you think it is?

My main concern in all this is for elected representatives to realize that they represent all of the electorate, not just the people who share their religion.

In my town, there was a local demand for a large mosque. Voila! It was built - and a few years later it added a very large private school to it's grounds. Yes, in spite of the very large population of Southern Baptists around here, many of whom were quite, shall we say, CHAGRINED at the very notion that there are so many Muslims in this area who insist on openly practicing their faith. Dang it! ;)

That being said, there was no legal opposition to the facilities. In fact, I've never heard anyone, publically or privately, insinuate that the mosque and school shouldn't be there.
Really? Well, then your town is one up on this suburb of Houston, where the prospect of a mosque prompted many nuisance complaints to try to stop or delay construction, a web site where home addresses were posted for members of the Muslim association building the mosque, and promises of pig races next door every Friday "just to offend the Muslims":

KATY, Texas — A plan to build a mosque in this Houston suburb has triggered a neighborhood dispute, with community members warning the place will become a terrorist hotbed and one man threatening to hold pig races on Fridays just to offend the Muslims.

Many neighborhood residents claim they have nothing against Muslims and are more concerned about property values, drainage and traffic.

But one resident has set up an anti-Islamic Web site with an odometer-like counter that keeps track of terrorist attacks since Sept. 11. A committee has formed to buy another property and offer to trade it for the Muslims’ land. And next-door neighbor Craig Baker has threatened to race pigs on the edge of the property on the Muslim holy day. Muslims consider pigs unclean and do not eat pork.

“The neighbors have created havoc for us and we didn’t expect that,” said engineer Kamel Fotouh, president of the 500-member Katy Islamic Association.

Fotouh vowed to press ahead with plans for a mosque on the 11-acre site, as well as a community center that would offer after-school activities, housing for senior citizens, a fitness center and an Islamic school.

“We just bought it,” Fotouh said. “And we are going to use it. We have the right like any one of them.”
Houston suburb angry over mosque plan - US news - Life - msnbc.com

There's not much of a demand for Bahai buildings in my area apparently. And I guess there's not much demand for places for atheists to gather together. If there were, there'd be a building, I can assure you - and there'd be no legal recourse for those who might oppose such a building.
Don't be so sure. There are plenty of subtle ways that things like that can be blocked or held up. If you have the ear of the local councillor/alderman/mayor/what-have-you, and he or she is willing to act in unscrupulous ways to promote his or her own religion, there's quite a bit you can do.

The trick comes from the fact that civil servants and political representatives often have discretion in their decision-making: the strict requirements of "what's on the books" isn't necessarily what's commonly put in place. If, say, a county decides not to grant a variance to a mosque when they would've done it for a church (and many development projects have variances to some degree), there's usually not a lot that the mosque can do to fight this.

Sometimes this might mean actually blocking the mosque altogether, or sometimes it might mean giving additional requirements that make the mosque too expensive to build or unsuitable for its intended use, but the effect is the same either way: no mosque, or at least fewer mosques. Or Baha'i temples. Or synagogues. Or whatever.

waitasec

Veteran Member
When I say "rights," I want to clarify that I am not aware that it's anyone's "right" to live a life completely insulated from the possibility of witnessing someone else practice or express their religious beliefs.

so your right to have freedom of religion trumps my right to speak against it's being established in society in a form of tradition when the constitution said it will not allow for that to happen...

x has a right to drive out of their drive way...and y has a right to park their car, in a designated area. but if y parks their car and blocks that drive way, y is infringing on the x's right to use their drive way...

y has a right to own a dog, and x has a right to keep it free from the dogs mess, who's infringing on x's right, the dog or y for leaving the dogs mess on x's lawn?

x has a right to go to a public school graduation ceremony without being exposed to any religious expression (by being in an audience led in prayer), y has a right to religion, the question is, when is it y's right to express y's religious tradition? all the time, some of the time or on y's time?

Last edited:

Wombat

In my town, there was a local demand for a large mosque. Voila! It was built - and a few years later it added a very large private school to it's grounds. Yes, in spite of the very large population of Southern Baptists around here, many of whom were quite, shall we say, CHAGRINED at the very notion that there are so many Muslims in this area who insist on openly practicing their faith. Dang it! ;).

Ahhhhh! LOL! That warmed my little heart.

Many thanks:D

There's not much of a demand for Bahai buildings in my area apparently.

I think you will find that is a "supply" issue/problem.

It's hard to find builders capable of constructing door ways wider at the top than the bottom.....

So that we can get our fat heads and inflated egos through.:eek:

Wombat

so your right to have freedom of religion trumps my right to speak against it's being established in society in a form of tradition when the constitution said it will not allow for that to happen...

My understanding of what was said-
Originally Posted by Kathryn
"When I say "rights," I want to clarify that I am not aware that it's anyone's "right" to live a life completely insulated from the possibility of witnessing someone else practice or express their religious beliefs."

Is that everyone can expect to come up against "the possibility of witnessing someone else practice or express their religious beliefs" and/or, I would assume, non belief....and that no one has the 'right' to "live a life completely insulated from" such possibility .

There is no "trumps my right to speak against" in that.

"the constitution said it will not allow for"- religion " being established in society in a form of tradition"?

Um....religion was/is already "established in society in a form of tradition"...the Constitution just makes sure no religious tradition becomes part of the formal mechanisms of State.

Informal influence will allways occur as an obvious aspect of Democracy.