• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

Do you support marriage rights for homosexuals?

• Yes

Votes: 99 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • I don't know/Other

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I guess some of you prefer to not entertain the "devil's advocate" on why I don't support gay marriage. I think I would pose a greater challenge than esalem I assure you. Besides I am coming from a non religious standpoint which is a lot more difficult to debate against than religious

you don't support gay marriage? i thought you were pro gay marraige?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Voting against same-sex marriage doesn't say "I'm against homosexuality" as much as it says "I prefer homosexual people to be unmarried".

That is a very rational point, 9/10ths. But I'm not sure that it is enough to convince Eselam or many other people who believe that homosexuality is reversible or a sin.

Most such people seem to prefer to avoid any sort of recognition of homosexual rights altogether, perhaps in the hope that "keeping the pressure" might convince them out of their supposedly wicked ways.

But I am very willing to be proven wrong :)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
That is a very rational point, 9/10ths. But I'm not sure that it is enough to convince Eselam or many other people who believe that homosexuality is reversible or a sin.

Most such people seem to prefer to avoid any sort of recognition of homosexual rights altogether, perhaps in the hope that "keeping the pressure" might convince them out of their supposedly wicked ways.

But I am very willing to be proven wrong :)

well it is stupid of someone who is pro gay, but does not support gay marriage.

i do not support gays, and i do not support anything about homosexuality. i am against the idea of homosexuality, call it natural if you want to it doesn't make it so, so i cannot be in support of gay marriage.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I accept homosexuality 100%

215149_206389462719230_115954831762694_694619_8167560_n.jpg

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I think he is taking the loosed view for fun hence him saying "devil's advocate" I think that is what he means

i thought he was serious. i tend to not joke around with people alot, so i guess i expected the same in return

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
well in islam what is condemned about homosexuality, is the act of same sex. that act is what warrants the death penalty. i do not know if islam has a punishment for someone who happens to like the same sex. but like all rules in islam that which leads to sin (crime) is also forbiden. maybe that makes sense?
No, it doesn't, because if homosexuality is legal, then banning same-sex marriage doesn't stop any same-sex sexual acts at all.

What you're really stopping are the things that even Islam (AFAIK) doesn't consider sins. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

A few years ago, one of my friends suffered a severe (and unexpected) respiratory attack. He was rushed to the hospital by ambulance, where the doctors induced a coma to save his life. He stayed in the coma for a month. Once he emerged from the coma, he was in hospital for another month.

Meanwhile, his wife had to do what she could to keep the family going, but the money she needed to pay the mortgage was in his personal chequing account. Because they were married, it was a relatively simple matter for her to talk to her bank manager and get access to his account. However, if their relationship didn't have legal status, then she and their two children could've ended up out on the street while her husband was laid up in the hospital, because she wouldn't have had the money to pay for their house.

Now... imagine a similar situation, but where instead of an opposite-sex husband and wife, you had a same-sex couple. Are you really saying that the right thing to do is to have the family evicted?

Where in the Quran does it say that if you disapprove of the sex that two adults have, it's charitable to force their children onto the street?

That's
the sort of issue that's at play when we're talking about same-sex marriage. It's not about sexual acts at all.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

i do not support gays, and i do not support anything about homosexuality. i am against the idea of homosexuality, call it natural if you want to it doesn't make it so, so i cannot be in support of gay marriage.

Supporting =/= Accepting.

If you support something, you try to make it happen.

If you accept something, you simply do not find it wrong.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Forget the same-sex couple themselves for a moment; are you really against the idea of behaving charitably to the children of same-sex couples?

Are you willing to literally hurt a child because you disapprove of the child's parents?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
No, it doesn't, because if homosexuality is legal, then banning same-sex marriage doesn't stop any same-sex sexual acts at all.

What you're really stopping are the things that even Islam (AFAIK) doesn't consider sins. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

A few years ago, one of my friends suffered a severe (and unexpected) respiratory attack. He was rushed to the hospital by ambulance, where the doctors induced a coma to save his life. He stayed in the coma for a month. Once he emerged from the coma, he was in hospital for another month.

Meanwhile, his wife had to do what she could to keep the family going, but the money she needed to pay the mortgage was in his personal chequing account. Because they were married, it was a relatively simple matter for her to talk to her bank manager and get access to his account. However, if their relationship didn't have legal status, then she and their two children could've ended up out on the street while her husband was laid up in the hospital, because she wouldn't have had the money to pay for their house.

Now... imagine a similar situation, but where instead of an opposite-sex husband and wife, you had a same-sex couple. Are you really saying that the right thing to do is to have the family evicted?

Where in the Quran does it say that if you disapprove of the sex that two adults have, it's charitable to force their children onto the street?

That's the sort of issue that's at play when we're talking about same-sex marriage. It's not about sexual acts at all.

i do understand your point 100%. lets see how much you understand mine.

islam says no to homosexuality nor gay marriage, if this was obeyed, then there wouldn't be any children in that situation.

moreover, why are you adding children to same sex marraige, everytime i've gone against homosexuality, i have always been told that same sex marraige/homosexuality is not about reproduction, it's just about feelings. but i guess the wind started blowing so the perspective changed direction.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Forget the same-sex couple themselves for a moment; are you really against the idea of behaving charitably to the children of same-sex couples?

Are you willing to literally hurt a child because you disapprove of the child's parents?

so according to your statement, the authoraties are against the idea of being charitable to the children of the drug dealers that they arrest? is that what you are saying?

NOTE: I AM NOT COMPARING HOMOSEXUALITY TO DRUG DEALINGS. I AM JUST MAKING AN EXMAPLE OF THE SAME MESSAGE

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
i do understand your point 100%. lets see how much you understand mine.

islam says no to homosexuality nor gay marriage, if this was obeyed, then there wouldn't be any children in that situation.

moreover, why are you adding children to same sex marraige, everytime i've gone against homosexuality, i have always been told that same sex marraige/homosexuality is not about reproduction, it's just about feelings. but i guess the wind started blowing so the perspective changed direction.

What I can't understand with muslims is how you can be so incensed with rage about France's burka ban against 6% of the population and yet go on gaint rants about how your religion despises homosexuality. Do you have a mind of your own or do you do what your God tells you?

Where is your compassion for your fellow man?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
What I can't understand with muslims is how you can be so incensed with rage about France's burka ban against 6% of the population and yet go on gaint rants about how your religion despises homosexuality. Do you have a mind of your own or do you do what your God tells you?

Where is your compassion for your fellow man?

darkendless, islam views homosexuality as a sin, a sin in other words is a crime. remember how you said you'd like to see rapists get killed for their crime/sin. so whats the problem, i could as you the same question you just asked me.

isn't france a country that soposedly tolerates religions and religious freedom? so how does that work when they ban the burqa? if you are going to say something then act on it. the US too made a big deal of theground zero mosque, but have you read about the ground zero synagog in Lebanon?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
darkendless, islam views homosexuality as a sin, a sin in other words is a crime. remember how you said you'd like to see rapists get killed for their crime/sin. so whats the problem, i could as you the same question you just asked me.

isn't france a country that soposedly tolerates religions and religious freedom? so how does that work when they ban the burqa? if you are going to say something then act on it. the US too made a big deal of theground zero mosque, but have you read about the ground zero synagog in Lebanon?

If my religion viewed Islam as a sin or a crime would I be justified in saying the horrific things you say about Gay people but with reference to your religion? If not, why?

France is a country protecting its national identity and forcing people who live in its country to integrate. A stupid decision but the point is your religion and its followers complain about an issue but then do the same thing you're complaining about on others. Do you see the hypocrisy?