• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do your beliefs make you happy?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Just to clarify, there is a huge difference between happiness and joy.
Perhaps this “huge difference” might be better understood if you were to enlighten us on what this “huge difference” is…

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not for everyone. Brahmacharis, sannyasis, sadhus, yogis, and the like choose a life of celibacy.
To my knowledge, sex is for the married householder. To the best of my understanding, Hinduism doesn't promote promiscuity.
If one is loyal to his wife/wives (in earlier ages), then one is a 'Brahmachari' (one who acts in the law). Yeah, Hinduism does not promote promiscuity. There is a particular time when one should become a 'sannyasi'. After finishing studies and getting a job, there are other responsibilities (Grihastha Ashram - life of a house-holder, serving parents and elders, raising children). At 81, now I am eligible for 'Sannyasa Ashram', but I have one last responsibility - my wife. I can become a 'sannyasi', if she permits it, and she will not. I promised her that I will not leave her in life.
In local parlance, they say: "Ek nari, Brahmachari" (One woman equals Brahmacharya). :)

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I was not suggesting that people should be happy because of their religious beliefs. I think that people need other things to be happy.
Religion is not a way to happiness for most people, as has been demonstrated on this thread.
If your religion doesn't bring you a degree of happiness and peace. You're following the wrong path. But there should never be a single reason (religion, food, etc), that a person is happy.

Your opening OP does seem to suggest everyone that has religion should be happy without it. Your OP is specifically walking people to your particular conclusion.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I was not suggesting that people should be happy because of their religious beliefs. I think that people need other things to be happy.

Your OP suggests otherwise.

"What I am asking is whether you think that your religious or non-religious beliefs about God or gods are the ‘reason’ you are happy. I highly doubt that is the reason people are happy, although they might tell themselves that. If that is the reason they were happy they would not need enjoyable foods, alcohol, sex, traveling, etc., in order to be happy, but I think most people do need those things to be happy."

This OP specifically states: does your religion make you happy? No it doesn't, you're lying if you think so; because you still need to eat, drink, and have sex to be happy.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member

Do your beliefs make you happy?​

I'm not a 'believer', but I find life to be greatly enhanced through the practice of positive faith, as opposed to the practice of doubt and negation.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Are beliefs supposed to make us happy or should they reflect what we believe to be the truth? And anyway, I prefer to use the word content rather than happy, given there are many things that don't make me happy but which just seem to be part of human existence. For example, I'd prefer some utopian-like existence such that all had a worthwhile life with no conflicts occurring between peoples but this is never going to happen I suspect, and perhaps it should never be so anyway. As you know, I am not happy with religious beliefs in general - some more so than others of course - but I have to accept that people have the right to have such beliefs. But this, along with so many other things - nationality issues, politics, cultural and/or moral beliefs, etc., I have to accept because I do believe in certain freedoms and the ability to express such - even if most of these might contribute to conflicts.

I am reasonably content as to how I view existence - as to human origins (an evolutionary path to such rather than where life comes from), with no particular belief in God or gods, nor as to souls, spirituality, afterlife, reincarnation, etc. - but no doubt I could forage further as to many things. I am probably knowledgeable enough as to science so as to have support for such beliefs and no doubt better off than so many who might simply rely on some religious text for example, and who might dismiss what science tends to show us. Hence I will accept the ups and downs of life rather than having any Pollyanna view of life.

I suppose I do try to stick by the Golden Rule, and hence try not to be too judgemental or act in a way as to harm others, but life tends to get in the way of this and I can't say the same for past behaviour unfortunately. So overall I believe it is best to live contentedly with happiness coming along occasionally to mark the high points.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I am sick to death of the expectation of Baha’is that I ‘should be happy’ just because I am a Baha’i. These people are clueless about my life situation and they do not care about it. They are like robots, fully indoctrinated by their religious teachings that tell them that we ‘should be happy' because we have God, no matter what life throws our way.
Being a Baha'i is not enough to be happy. Are they indoctrinated or are they basing this belief on their own experience, and lack imagination that other people may be different? Something to ponder.

Truthseeker

I want to add to what I said in the OP. I am not questioning people who say that they are happy because they have their religious beliefs and God.
Maybe they ARE happy because for those reasons, but I question how happy they would be if their life situation was different. Maybe they would still be happy, I don't know.
Now you're on the right track.

Truthseeker

A strange phenomenon. As I've been watching the time is coming down when the above posts will appear, according to the software here.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Perhaps this “huge difference” might be better understood if you were to enlighten us on what this “huge difference” is…
OK since you asked (sorry, was at church and then ran some errands):

Happiness is a more temporal and fleeting state to me than joy. But don't take my word for it.

A life made up of simply happy moments eventually becomes boring. Even sitting on a beach reading a great book and drinking a fancy drink with an umbrella in it becomes boring after awhile. In my opinion, we need both extremes to know what real joy is.

As for Christians, are you happy because you believe you are saved and forgiven by the blood of Jesus, and because you believe that Jesus/God loves you? That might be one reason you are happy but I doubt you would still be happy if you had a very difficult life situation or if you had clinical depression or debilitating anxiety.
I am happy and thankful to God, because I think what I have now, is because of Him.

But, I don't think I am as great as Job. If things would be really bad, I would probably be ungrateful and depressed. However, I also think depression is also much about how a person choose to see everything. One of the keys to happy life is to learn to see a good side in everything. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But you know, my belief, Hinduism, mandates sex. Do you mean all men and women should live without sex, should not have children?
I never said that we should live without sex and that is not what the Baha'i Faith teaches.
The Baha'i Faith does not mandate sex but Baha'i law states that we are only allowed to have sex within wedlock.

From the Book of Laws, which is the Most Holy Book of the Baha’i Faith:

“The Bahá’í teachings on sexual morality centre on marriage and the family as the bedrock of the whole structure of human society and are designed to protect and strengthen that divine institution. Bahá’í law thus restricts permissible sexual intercourse to that between a man and the woman to whom he is married.” The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, p. 223

'The Bahá'í Faith recognizes the value of the sex impulse, but condemns its illegitimate and improper expressions such as free love, companionate marriage and others, all of which it considers positively harmful to man and to the society in which he lives. The proper use of the sex instinct is the natural right of every individual, and it is precisely for this very purpose that the institution of marriage has been established. The Bahá'ís do not believe in the suppression of the sex impulse but in its regulation and control.'”
Lights of Guidance (second part): A Bahá'í Reference File, pp. 364-365

'Bahá’u’lláh has urged marriage upon all people as the natural and rightful way of life. He has also, however, placed strong emphasis on its spiritual nature, which, while in no way precluding a normal physical life, is the most essential aspect of marriage. That two people should live their lives in love and harmony is of far greater importance than that they should be consumed with passion for each other. The one is a great rock of strength on which to lean in time of need; the other a purely temporary thing which may at any time die out.”

On behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, 20 January 1943
‘Abdu'l-Bahá, Bahá'u'lláh, Shoghi Effendi, “Family Life” , 67

Baha'ullah taught that the primary purpose of marriage is to have children.

'And when He desired to manifest grace and beneficence to men, and to set the world in order, He revealed observances and created laws; among them He established the law of marriage, made it as a fortress for well-being and salvation, and enjoined it upon us in that which was sent down out of the heaven of sanctity in His Most Holy Book. He saith, great is His glory: “Marry, O people, that from you may appear he who will remember Me amongst My servants; this is one of My commandments unto you; obey it as an assistance to yourselves.”

—Bahá’u’lláh
Bahá’í Prayers: A Selection of Prayers Revealed by Bahá’u’lláh, the Báb, and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, pp. 104-105
It is one of the four things that we are supposed to do in life (Purusharthas - Dharma, Artha, Kama, Moksha - Fulfill duties, earn, raise family and understand life. Everything when the time is right. One thing helps in fulfilling the others that follow. No children, no youngs to pass on your experiences of life, no one to help in old age, that is the end of your culture.
I agree with all of that, especially since I am now a widow with no children or grandchildren. There were good reasons for us not to have children at the time but I a have some regrets about that decision now.
I was obliged to provide sexual happiness to my wife, it is one of the seven marriage vows in Hinduism. "I shall be the Sukhilam. you the Holder; Together we shall live and beget children, and other riches. Come thou, Oh, sweet-worded girl."
Baha'is are highly encouraged to marry and have children, but it is not a requirement under Baha'i Law.

There is no obligation for a man to provide sexual happiness to a woman. Why should that be the man's obligation, just because he has certain equipment? Hopefully you can do the math so I will say no more.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Heaven and hell are states of mind, not places that we go to when we die, but that doesn't mean that this world is the only world that exists in the entire universe.

I believe that there are other worlds besides this world but only God can comprehend them. I believe we will know more after we die and experience those worlds.

“As to thy question concerning the worlds of God. Know thou of a truth that the worlds of God are countless in their number, and infinite in their range. None can reckon or comprehend them except God, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.” Gleanings, pp. 151-152

“Verily I say, the creation of God embraceth worlds besides this world, and creatures apart from these creatures. In each of these worlds He hath ordained things which none can search except Himself, the All-Searching, the All-Wise.” Gleanings, pp. 152-153
Very similar to the Gospel of John 14:
1 "Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
3 And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
4 And you know the way where I am going."

It is a belief, one I also feel, that "many rooms" being prepared are many lives to come, each better than the last. "...come again and will take you to myself..." meaning death of the body will come, and as Jesus, the soul will resurrect into a new life and new body, aka new "room." And perhaps that "room" is in a different universe, or perhaps of a different realm of this one? Perhaps.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If your religion doesn't bring you a degree of happiness and peace. You're following the wrong path. But there should never be a single reason (religion, food, etc), that a person is happy.
My religion does give me a degree of happiness and peace, but that is not the reason I follow it. I follow it because I believe it is the truth from God for this age.

I do not think we should categorically state what 'should' be true for everyone. However I agree that there is not a single reason why most people are happy. Rather, it happiness is due to a combination of factors. Also, life is ever-changing so the reasons people are happy can fluctuate over time.
Your opening OP does seem to suggest everyone that has religion should be happy without it. Your OP is specifically walking people to your particular conclusion.
No, I never said that everyone that has religion should be happy without it, nor do I think that is true. People are happy for their own reasons and if their religion is one of those reasons or even the only reason that they are happy, that is their own business.

All I was saying is that I doubt that people who hold religious beliefs are happy ONLY because of those beliefs. Maybe those beliefs make them happy but I also think they are happy for other reasons.

That is why I said:

What I am asking is whether you think that your religious or non-religious beliefs about God or gods are the ‘reason’ you are happy. I highly doubt that is the reason people are happy, although they might tell themselves that. If that is the reason they were happy they would not need enjoyable foods, alcohol, sex, traveling, etc., in order to be happy, but I think most people do need those things to be happy.

That is also why I said:

I think love is important for happiness, but it does not have to be love for God or romantic love. It can be love for friends and family.

Then I said:

I think certain religious people believe we ‘should be happy’ just because we have our religious beliefs. This pertains mostly to Baha’is, but I think it also pertains to Christians. ......... They are like robots, fully indoctrinated by their religious teachings that tell them that we ‘should be happy' because we have God, no matter what life throws our way.

This thread has been useful for me because I don't see anyone saying that the only reason they are happy is because of their religious beliefs. and even if they did not have anything else they would still be happy. I expected at least some Christians say that but they did not.

To be honest, I think it is mostly certain Baha'is who believe that all they need to be happy are their religious beliefs and that we ‘should be happy' because we have God, no matter what life throws our way, but those Baha'is have not posted on this thread.

Spice

Are beliefs supposed to make us happy or should they reflect what we believe to be the truth? And anyway, I prefer to use the word content rather than happy, given there are many things that don't make me happy but which just seem to be part of human existence. For example, I'd prefer some utopian-like existence such that all had a worthwhile life with no conflicts occurring between peoples but this is never going to happen I suspect, and perhaps it should never be so anyway. As you know, I am not happy with religious beliefs in general - some more so than others of course - but I have to accept that people have the right to have such beliefs. But this, along with so many other things - nationality issues, politics, cultural and/or moral beliefs, etc., I have to accept because I do believe in certain freedoms and the ability to express such - even if most of these might contribute to conflicts.

I am reasonably content as to how I view existence - as to human origins (an evolutionary path to such rather than where life comes from), with no particular belief in God or gods, nor as to souls, spirituality, afterlife, reincarnation, etc. - but no doubt I could forage further as to many things. I am probably knowledgeable enough as to science so as to have support for such beliefs and no doubt better off than so many who might simply rely on some religious text for example, and who might dismiss what science tends to show us. Hence I will accept the ups and downs of life rather than having any Pollyanna view of life.

I suppose I do try to stick by the Golden Rule, and hence try not to be too judgemental or act in a way as to harm others, but life tends to get in the way of this and I can't say the same for past behaviour unfortunately. So overall I believe it is best to live contentedly with happiness coming along occasionally to mark the high points.
You make a good point with contentment vs. happiness. Happiness can only come in small measure of glimpses and glances, in my mind, because of the realities of this world. However, being fully engaged and doing for others, living to improve the realities of this world definitely hold a steady level of happiness better defined as contentment. It is the tangible hope of more glimpses and glances to come.

Spice

I am happy and thankful to God, because I think what I have now, is because of Him.

But, I don't think I am as great as Job. If things would be really bad, I would probably be ungrateful and depressed. However, I also think depression is also much about how a person choose to see everything. One of the keys to happy life is to learn to see a good side in everything. :)
True to a degree. There are physical, chemical, biological reasons for depression that "choose to see everything" will give little effect. But even with these physical causes, mindfully acknowledging positive appreciation, gratitude, etc. can be very useful. Behavior Modification techniques are one way of addressing this if I understand it correctly.

My faith has been and continues to be a form of "Behavior Modification" treatment for wavering depression.