• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does hinduism accept christ as a prophet/god

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
"the Father and I are one" (can you give the full verse/line?) -- sounds same as when Vishnu takes avatar on Earth as his own Child.

So Christ is claiming avatardom here.

30 I and the Father are one.”

31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”

33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’[d]? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” John 10:30-38

But in the strictest sense he is the Son in the Trinity. His teachings then also show that he was aligned to Vedic ideas, even though Church or Judaism of that time could not make heads or tails of his teachings.

I think this is not far off.

But the interesting thing would be, the Church's take on this. And did they replaced, perforce, "Mother" with "Holy Spirit" in their eagerness to suppress the power of Devi?

Very possibly. :yes: A Mother Goddess is found in virtually every ancient culture. Consider in my post above Shekhinah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[d] "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." - Psalm 82:6

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3460386 said:
Abrahamic scripture being quoted in the HinduDIR?! Oh the horror!

But keep in mind the subject of the thread: does hinduism accept christ as a prophet/god. To that end it must be proved or disproved. ;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3460403 said:
Has it been proven if Hinduism accepts Christ as a prophet or god?

Nooo, neither way and I don't think it ever will. It's just a polemic, always has been, probably always will be. I think most Hindus just think of him as a teacher, a very smart and holy teacher, a yogi. That's really all I see him as.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Nooo, neither way and I don't think it ever will. It's just a polemic, always has been, probably always will be. I think most Hindus just think of him as a teacher, a very smart and holy teacher, a yogi. That's really all I see him as.

Polemics. Polemics. Polemics.

Very possibly. :yes: A Mother Goddess is found in virtually every ancient culture. Consider in my post above Shekhinah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[d] "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." - Psalm 82:6
I read that link. I agree that most cultures (especially primitive) have mother goddesses but those are primarily Earth or Fertility types.

Shekhinah also seems to be more of an agent, than an end unto herself, and could be the precursor to the Church's "Holy spirit".

But she cannot be seen as Devi. The point then remains, what did Christ had to say about his Mother? Or have such readings been filtered out?

What does Christ has to say about Devi? This question will prove his stature, if the answer is at all to be found, which I am scepticle about.

Christianity is indeed too narrow, for to hold attention of a Himdu. The Revelation has some references to Devi Usha, but the chapter is considered a fluke by Church, isn't it?

So the question is: where is Devi in Christ's teaching. This is a make or break for him, and for Christianity no hopes whatsoever to start with (Church has based themselves in India over the false claim that Thomas visited TamilNadu! Criminals!).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As far as I know, there is no mention of Devi in Jesus's teachings. This may be in part, or wholly, due to the ancient Hebrews and Jews, and most of the Middle East being patriarchal societies. I agree that it is indeed narrow.

As far as I know, there is no mention of Devi in Jesus's teachings. This may be in part, or wholly, due to the ancient Hebrews and Jews, and most of the Middle East being patriarchal societies. I agree that it is indeed narrow.
So I guess this is it.
After we understand that the teachings (or the "purported") fails to be rigorous, we can explore some other ways to explore the question.
Like, we can be more generous in seeing Christ to have brought the Trinity to the forefront, even while remaining politically correct by not speaking about Devi Mother. Much in the same way as Sri Krishna is in Gita when he says that even women and Shudras can attain him (but his audience might not have wanted to hear about equality).

So can we confidently attribute the Trinity to have been established prominently by Christ?

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It was actually the early church councils that came up with the idea of the Trinity. But if Jesus had any leanings towards a Divine Mother, it would definitely have been p.c. and in his best interest to stay silent on it.

It was actually the early church councils that came up with the idea of the Trinity. But if Jesus had any leanings towards a Divine Mother, it would definitely have been p.c. and in his best interest to stay silent on it.
It cannot be Church IMO because Church is too barbaric to get around from Monotheistic all-controlling (yes control-freak God just like control-freak Church), hater God (male), to the truly pluralistic ideal of the Trinity.

I say that because of Church's actions and behaviour.

So if be sympathetic to Christ's cause, Christ brought the Trinity, which is pluralistic, and polytheistic. But it also implies then that he was politically correct on many accounts.

This rules him out as a teacher/ prophet, because these guys are hard-wired to be truthfull all the time, even at the cost of being bitter.

So, it all comes down to this:
Christ is an avatar, or not an avatar. Of Vishnu, of course because no other God takes avatar. Again, to start with this discussion, we know that avatar is a concept alien to Christian and Judaic worldview (because Lord Vishnu is not their God). Am I correct here, or missed something?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This rules him out as a teacher/ prophet, because these guys are hard-wired to be truthfull all the time, even at the cost of being bitter.

He wasn't untruthful, he just didn't address it.

So, it all comes down to this:
Christ is an avatar, or not an avatar. Of Vishnu, of course because no other God takes avatar. Again, to start with this discussion, we know that avatar is a concept alien to Christian and Judaic worldview (because Lord Vishnu is not their God). Am I correct here, or missed something?

We've had a number of threads on "Is Jesus an avatar of Vishnu?" and I think the general concensus is no.

He wasn't untruthful, he just didn't address it.
No I meant he was being politically correct. I am not saying he spoke lies.

We've had a number of threads on "Is Jesus an avatar of Vishnu?" and I think the general concensus is no.
But now this thread has come down to this. What is an avatar?
An Avatar is a miracle, a discontinuity in the course of history. Only Narayana can do this.
An Avatar's signature is, not any teachings, but the doings.

So if we have to gage Christ objectively, it has to be beyond what is written in Bible, to what he actually achieved.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
"Poly vibe"got your attention, bro?:D

:D But, I don't think the trinity is polytheistic. It probably is henotheistic or pantheistic.

Believe it or not, some do. The official position is that it's over and done with in one lifetime. Reincarnation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I recently came across a comment on youtube and it goes like this:

This has to be one of the biggest misunderstandings the Protestant tradition has about the Eastern Orthodox. If you're really concerned, I'd lovingly encourage you to ask an Orthodox Christian what at icon means to him or her if you think their heart is in the wrong place & they're "worshipping an idol." To many of our brothers & sisters in Christ, an icon of Jesus is an affirmation of the incarnation: that God Himself came in the flesh. No incarnation, no death on the cross or resurrection.

It is a top comment from this video:

[youtube]sAlCze3ZFjA[/youtube]
Click Me Click Me

Yes "holy spirit" suggests that it is not polytheism, though certainly henotheistic which is better than monotheism but not quite upto poly.

Jesus as incarnation? I think better word would be "Avatar?".

Yes that is the only question here now.

Last edited: