• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Israel have a "right" to Palestine?

lunakilo

But your main question was 'Does Israel have a 'right' to Palestine'.
I just realised that jasonwill2 originally forgot to define what he means by Palestine.
I have heard someone claim recently that Jordan is Palestine :)sarcastic), but he didn't actually say. I assumed he ment Palestine as in: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/UN_Partition_Plan_For_Palestine_1947.svg , but just to be clear jasonwill2 (if you read this) could you just say if that is what your question is about?

So going back to your own original question... do I, or don't I have a right to live on this land?
I think there is a difference between you Caladan and Israel.
Even if one was to claim (and I am not claiming that by the way) that Israel does not have a right to exist that does not necessarily mean that you do not have the right to live on the land.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I just realised that jasonwill2 originally forgot to define what he means by Palestine.
I have heard someone claim recently that Jordan is Palestine :)sarcastic), but he didn't actually say. I assumed he ment Palestine as in: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/UN_Partition_Plan_For_Palestine_1947.svg , but just to be clear jasonwill2 (if you read this) could you just say if that is what your question is about?
I normally assume that when people refer to Palestine as a region they mean the modern state of Israel and the Palestinian territories. But it's about time we define what we mean here in order to avoid all the confusion.

Even if one was to claim (and I am not claiming that by the way) that Israel does not have a right to exist that does not necessarily mean that you do not have the right to live on the land.
I can tell you what's the problem with these questions and the way they are asked.
Today there are various charters, for example the Hamas charter and even long term Hamas agenda, and other fundamental bodies that pose the statement 'Israel has no right to exist', and they mean it, dead seriously.
They mean, that in the long run, the land on which modern Israel exists for over a 60 years by UN mandate, and much longer than that under British and Turkish rule should be cleansed of Jews and be grafted into the Islamic world.

In order to clear out all the confusion in this thread, we need to start to organize some issues here.
As an Israeli, I definitely feel at home on Israeli soil. My grandparents lived here, and my great grandparents lived here, while some of my grandparents immigrated to Israel 60-70 years ago, another part of my family legally bought this land when Palestine was ruled by the Turks.
However, when it comes to the Gaza strip or Ramallah in the West Bank... no I don't see it as Israeli territory. And most Israelis don't see it as such either.
Most Israelis and Palestinians agree on a two state solution, which means that Palestinian areas like the Gaza strip and major parts of the West Bank would be included in such a future state.
However, there have been many setbacks and disagreements in how to execute such a long term plan.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic

If you feel that me removing the Facepalm from your post justifies Bullying, please by all means report it.

Otherwise, that's some extremely desparate attempt to avoid the actual points, of which you've desparately dodged before.

Where exactly did I even take him out of context? He agreed that Palestine is Jordan. What does it matter after that? Whether he face palms or not, he did say that Palestine is Jordan, did he not? Was he being sarcastic, I don't think so.

If you wanna play that game I'll bet some of these posts can be considered trolling since they deliberately dodge from the point to make a smear on Israel like posting about Rachel Carrie for example. No need to address the actual OP or the point of the post being replied to or anything.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I normally assume that when people refer to Palestine as a region they mean the modern state of Israel and the Palestinian territories. But it's about time we define what we mean here in order to avoid all the confusion.

I can tell you what's the problem with these questions and the way they are asked.
Today there are various charters, for example the Hamas charter and even long term Hamas agenda, and other fundamental bodies that pose the statement 'Israel has no right to exist', and they mean it, dead seriously.
They mean, that in the long run, the land on which modern Israel exists for over a 60 years by UN mandate, and much longer than that under British and Turkish rule should be cleansed of Jews and be grafted into the Islamic world.

In order to clear out all the confusion in this thread, we need to start to organize some issues here.
As an Israeli, I definitely feel at home on Israeli soil. My grandparents lived here, and my great grandparents lived here, while some of my grandparents immigrated to Israel 60-70 years ago, another part of my family legally bought this land when Palestine was ruled by the Turks.
However, when it comes to the Gaza strip or Ramallah in the West Bank... no I don't see it as Israeli territory. And most Israelis don't see it as such either.
Most Israelis and Palestinians agree on a two state solution, which means that Palestinian areas like the Gaza strip and major parts of the West Bank would be included in such a future state.
However, there have been many setbacks and disagreements in how to execute such a long term plan.

Caladan ,May i ask you a little bit strange question.

Where would you like to live in the year 2100. :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Caladan ,May i ask you a little bit strange question.

Where would you like to live in the year 2100. :)
Try again, neither you nor me are going to live in the year 2100.
If you have anything concrete to say, try to say it without riddles. You know, man to man. That's not asking too much is it?

lunakilo

If you feel that me removing the Facepalm from your post justifies Bullying, please by all means report it.
It was not my post which you removed a facepalm from, it was FearGod's post (maybe you should read peoples posts more carefully), I was just pointing out that you are walking on thin ice with the forum rules when you change peoples posts like that.

You removed part of the post and thereby altering the meaning of it. I really don't think he was agreeing with you.
But I will leave that up to FearGod.

jazzymom

Just Jewish
I don't think that my nation is innocent, and they did a lot wrong, there are still reservations, and there is still things that the government can do about that, but that blood is not on my hands, it's on the hands of people that died hundreds of years ago. Palestine and Israel is today. Who gives a damn about blaming people and what happened in the past? Israel and Palestine is today. The only relevance of the American past is maybe that Israel and Palestine can learn from it, if anything at all. The fact that its so modern is VERY important, because it is actually in recent memory, people from then still being alive, and violence STILL happening because of it. The relevance of it being modern is paramount because it's still going on, it's still an issue. With Native Americans, there isn't anymore bloodshed or wars because of it, but with Israel, there are still wars, there is still violence. THAT is why it being so current, so modern, that it's an issue.

I want to respond to this because the blood is on the hand of those who carried out the actions of the American government and we as Americans have inherited the legacy. We as Americans still have not fixed what was done to the Native Americans. It is not ancient history in fact the Native populations still suffer the consequences of what was done to them.

It is not 100s of years ago as you say but as recently as 174 years ago when the Cherokee were forcibly removed from their homes.

Approximately 17,000 North Carolina Cherokee are forcibly removed from the state to the Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma). This event becomes known as the Trail of Tears.

An estimated 4,000 Cherokee people die during the 1,200-mile trek. A few hundred Cherokee refuse to be rounded up and transported. They hide in the mountains and evade federal soldiers. Eventually, a deal is struck between the army and the remaining Cherokee. Tsali, a leading Cherokee brave, agrees to surrender himself to General Winfield Scott to be shot if the army will allow the rest of his people to stay in North Carolina legally. The federal government eventually establishes a reservation for the Eastern Band of Cherokee.

Trail of Tears - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forced movement of Native Americans from from 1831 to 1838

The 1887 Dawes Act: The U.S. Theft of 90 Million Acres of Indian Land - ICTMN.com
Read more:The 1887 Dawes Act: The U.S. Theft of 90 Million Acres of Indian Land - ICTMN.com The 1887 Dawes Act: The U.S. Theft of 90 Million Acres of Indian Land - ICTMN.com
Under that allotment legislation, for which there was no legitimate constitutional basis, Indian land holdings dropped from 138 million acres down to 48 million acres, for a loss to Indian nations of some 90 million acres of land.

Native American boarding schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Boarding schools for Native American children in 19th and 20th centuries.

The Native American populations in my country still live with the consequences of what the Europeans did to them and your and my ancestors were responsible and we inherited the legacy.

In 1948 the Palestinians and the Jewish people were offered a state that was voted on in the UN and the Palestinians said no and the Jews said yes.

The Arab nations went to war and lost.

The land was not stolen. The land was filled with Jews who had lived in the land and in the middle east for 1000s of years. Many Jewish people can count back as many generations as I can for part of my family here in the US.

Land was bought legally and settled legally.

The facts on the ground are that Israel is a country and that will not change. There would not be 64 years of conflict if wars had not been fought to attempt to destroy a nation.

The wars were not necessary as the Palestinians were offered a state which they turned down.

This is what irritates me the most.

What was done to the Native populations in the US is nothing like the conflict in Israel, it is much worse then the conflict in the middle east.

The hostilities continue because of the rockets coming from Gaza and the Israelis disengaged from Gaza several years ago. Now Gaza is run by Hamas and they are a terrorist organization bent on the destruction of Israel.

The Palestinians have started 2 intifadas that targeted innocent Israeli citizens going on about their days. The suicide bombers targeted crowded markets, busses and restaurants filled with men, women and children.

The ongoing hostilities cause the need for a fence and checkpoints to keep terrorists and weapons out of Israel.

If the Palestinians had accepted a state 64 years ago and set to nation building there would be no war or conflict.

Shermana

Heretic
It was not my post which you removed a facepalm from, it was FearGod's post (maybe you should read peoples posts more carefully), I was just pointing out that you are walking on thin ice with the forum rules when you change peoples posts like that.

You removed part of the post and thereby altering the meaning of it. I really don't think he was agreeing with you.

I know it was his post. Please by all means report it and tell them that I removed a face palm from the post as if that somehow constitutes Bullying, show me how thin this ice is. So why are you taking it to yourself being his lawyer? Do you have anything to comment on the actual issue or are you just concerned that I took the face palm out of his post which otherwise agrees with me. Lots of people ignore 90% of what I quote and focus on one thing, and I don't see what his map had anything to do with the argument. And I assume you don't think him calling me weak is a rule violation or will call him out on that for some reason.

He was agreeing with me that Palestine is Jordan. The rest about the map of the territory had nothing to do with that statement. He was in agreement with me that Palestine is Jordan. Did he disagree with me? Do you even understand why he face palmed?

jasonwill2

So going back to your own original question... do I, or don't I have a right to live on this land?

I'm not saying you don't have a right to live there, I only ask about the formation of the Israel state. If Israel, in either forming or now, did nothing wrong and everything is legit, then can you tell me why so many people are angry over this? If it's just hate of Jews, then if Jews have lived there for so long why was it only so much to cause violence after Israel was founded? Unless there was violence against Jews in what is now modern day Israel, but I've never heard of that.

I'll get back with you on this hold on i just got hit with busy stuff before i can respond (typed this part last)

Lunakilo is right, I don't see why Israel had to be founded in place that would hate them everywhere, and your reasons, Caladan, for why Israel was founded as a Zion movement seem very poor to me. So what if there were some Jews already living there? Couldn't of the Jews in Axis Europe have moved to Allied countries? Why specifically did they NEED to form a nation, which JUST SO HAPPENS to be the Holy Lands? You make it sound as if no one would take them in.

I'm sorry but at this point reclaiming ancient Israel for the Jews seems like the only plausible answer, it can't be a coincidence that it was THERE of all places. Let's not pretend that that is very, very odd.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'm not saying you don't have a right to live there, I only ask about the formation of the Israel state. If Israel, in either forming or now, did nothing wrong and everything is legit, then can you tell me why so many people are angry over this? If it's just hate of Jews, then if Jews have lived there for so long why was it only so much to cause violence after Israel was founded? Unless there was violence against Jews in what is now modern day Israel, but I've never heard of that.
Who ever said that 'everything is legit'. Some of it is legit, some of it is a mandate of international law and voting in the UN, and some of it is not.
If you believe that all the fault falls on the Israelis, then you are either naive, or you really want to believe that.

Lunakilo is right, I don't see why Israel had to be founded in place that would hate them everywhere, and your reasons, Caladan, for why Israel was founded as a Zion movement seem very poor to me. So what if there were some Jews already living there? Couldn't of the Jews in Axis Europe have moved to Allied countries? Why specifically did they NEED to form a nation, which JUST SO HAPPENS to be the Holy Lands? You make it sound as if no one would take them in.

I'm sorry but at this point reclaiming ancient Israel for the Jews seems like the only plausible answer, it can't be a coincidence that it was THERE of all places. Let's not pretend that that is very, very odd.
You're joking right?
Do you have any idea about the attempts of Jewish refugees during WWII to save their families and themselves?
I suggest you get a basic education for yourself, because you are not only disgracefully patronizing in this post, but you are also painfully willingly ignorant.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Try again, neither you nor me are going to live in the year 2100.
If you have anything concrete to say, try to say it without riddles. You know, man to man. That's not asking too much is it?

No riddles,but just both of us know that we'll stay for sometime and we'll leave to the other world and we'll get nothing with us but our deeds and sincerity which will do account.

My question to you with my hope that you'll answer with sincerity.

Do you think that Israel have the right to bring the jews whom lived hundreds of years in Russia,Europe,Africa..etc only because they are jews and have the right to live in palestine as their new home.

Do you think it is right for palestinians to bring Muslims from Iran,Pakistan,Algeria..etc to live in Palestine as one of their right only because they are muslims.

What do you think. ?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Maybe it was because Jews were being turned away from the Allied countries?

Seriously, you need to learn a little history, because there is no excuse for the errors you have here.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Yes of course my statement was clear that i don't agree with him,then why i used the facepalm and why he removed it from the quote.:shrug:

Jordan is independent state by itself,similar to France,Spain,Italy..just neighbors with same religion,but everyone has his own insependent lands.

Shermana

Heretic
Yes of course my statement was clear that i don't agree with him,then why i used the facepalm and why he removed it from the quote.:shrug:

Jordan is independent state by itself,similar to France,Spain,Italy..just neighbors with same religion,but everyone has his own insependent lands.

Oh so you were being Sarcastic when you said "Palestine is Jordan"?

I know Jordan is an independent state, that's the problem. Why don't you complain about the Hashemite Monarchy refusing to grant the 80% of Palestine under Jordan to the Palestinians? What you are trying to say however is that they're entirely different countries historically, which was not the case until 1946. Until then, Jordan was an emirate of Palestine. Historically, Jordan was part of Palestine under Byzantine, Turkish, and British rule.

jasonwill2

Maybe it was because Jews were being turned away from the Allied countries?

Seriously, you need to learn a little history, because there is no excuse for the errors you
have here.

Sure there is, but if I said something that was in ignorance I'd expect you to politely inform me of what facts I am unaware of, not smugly write me off. I already stated that I made this topic to learn more about the situation. If my wanting to hear both sides of the situation is a problem then that's your problem, not mine.

jasonwill2

Ok I'm only going to say this once:

I don't know if Israel had a right or not, or if Israel is to blame for a lot of stuff or ******* whatever.

I made this topic to hear two sides on it though, and what I have read and thought was an inadequate justification of a stance, I have asked/challenged that, but I'm not actually for one side or the other, at least, I'm not trying to be. But perhaps I am somewhat biased based on what self-described Palestinians have told me in the past as well as what I have read or heard in European Media.

So from now on in this topic I'll just challenge every post that catches my interest, and provide no defense for anything, because I have nothing to defend.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Sure there is, but if I said something that was in ignorance I'd expect you to politely inform me of what facts I am unaware of, not smugly write me off. I already stated that I made this topic to learn more about the situation. If my wanting to hear both sides of the situation is a problem then that's your problem, not mine.

Part of learning though means you need to also go out and do some research. And maybe this is just a failure of the education system in the U.S. But it should have been taught that during WWII, as well as before and after, Jews were turned away quite often. Palestine was one option that they had.